Author Topic: Train updates, news and information  (Read 292328 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Train updates, news and information
« Reply #750 on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:59 am »
Thanks Angel. It's usually a database error on the servers providing the information. It tends to get sorted out eventually. Thanks for pointing it out though. David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #751 on: May 23, 2017, 07:28:42 am »
Ticket machine was out of order at Brookmans Park station last night. And there is a notice that the cash payment facility has been removed temporarily because of theft.

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #752 on: May 23, 2017, 07:45:42 am »
The machine has been 'card only' for several weeks now.  It's often 'Out of Service' too.
The machine at Welham Green is also 'Card only'.

It's a shame that the very helpful Natalie has moved on from Brookmans Park Station.

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #753 on: May 23, 2017, 07:48:43 am »
The machine has been 'card only' for several weeks now.  It's often 'Out of Service' too.

Clearly, I need to get out more.   :)

The following users thanked this post: Angel

Offline Nobby

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #754 on: June 06, 2017, 06:49:47 pm »
Problems on trains tonight - next two trains to Moorgate (18.45 and 19.15) cancelled. The next train to WGC delayed and the one after that cancelled.

Could anyone tell me what one's position is when you have pre-booked a specific train as the second leg of your journey, but owing to an earlier delay on your connecting train operated by another company, you miss it and have to travel on the next one. Can you be charged a penalty fare?

Offline Nimbus

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #755 on: June 08, 2017, 10:52:15 pm »
Can anyone explain the logic in GN ticket machines relating to availability of off-peak tickets please? TSGN's website says "When purchasing a ticket from Great Northern, we will explain the restrictions that ticket is subject to: In the conditions at the time of purchase if bought from a Ticket Vending Machine" but I couldn't track that info down. Nothing in their FAQs.

In anticipation of any of a number of possible difficulties at the station, I turned up at Welham Green in good time for this morning's 09:34 to Moorgate. As this is the first one timed to arrive after 10:00, I should have been able to use an off-peak ticket, and apply my Senior Railcard. The off-peak option was not presented on the screen, and the Senior Railcard option was disabled. On my return at midday, these options had become available.

Had I programmed the machines, I might have thought it a neat idea to enable these options as soon as they could not be fraudulently used, i.e. just after departure of the preceding train to the 09:34. If I wasn't that bright, I might have just switched the options on at 10:00. Or maybe to trust the passenger.

Anyone worked out TSGN's algorithm?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #756 on: July 04, 2017, 04:37:33 pm »
There are a number of train cancellations this afternoon/evening. Probably worth checking before you travel.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #758 on: July 22, 2017, 07:36:23 am »
Train travellers beware. It seems from the tweet, embedded below, that there might be a problem with the Brookmans Park station ticket machine this morning. I have not been along to verify, so this is the only source of information.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #759 on: July 29, 2017, 05:56:03 pm »
Two consecutive trains cancelled this evening from London to WGC

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #760 on: August 30, 2017, 09:40:32 am »
09:15 on a weekday morning and Brookmans Park ticket office is closed and the ticket machine out of order - again. Only option to travel without ticket. And stopping at Potters Bar to get one is not a solution because I will be late. What advice do @GNRailUK recommend? Thought I would ask so I would know what to say if I get one of those over enthusiastic ticket inspectors.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #761 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:39 am »
Quick response from Amy @GNRailUK. Impressed.

Offline Nobby

« Reply #762 on: August 30, 2017, 10:45:47 am »
The ticket office was closed yesterday morning as well, as it was on the two previous occasions I passed by during "opening hours". The ticket machine was also out of order yesterday evening. No doubt they will use the consequent reduction of ticket sales to justify closing the ticket office permanently. The government awarded Great Northern the franchise, and appears to be turning a blind eye to this blatant profiteering at local residents' expense.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #763 on: August 30, 2017, 02:40:03 pm »
I usually use the train on Wednesday evenings and the machine is frequently out of order

I always take a picture on my phone of the machine to provide evidence I was unable to buy a ticket although have never yet been challenged.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #764 on: August 31, 2017, 07:10:54 am »
Found a solution.

- Arrive at BP station to find ticket machine 'out of service' and ticket office close
- Get out smartphone and go to Great Northern Site
- Buy ticket online to be collected at a ticket machine at the station of your choice
- Select Finsbury Park as the station for collecting your ticket (tickets can now be collected 30 mins after purchase)
- Catch the train and get off at Finsbury Park (27 mins journey)
- Go down the stairs to the ticket machine in the tunnel (just before the stairs down to the underground - three mins)
- Put in card used to purchase and the code you will have been sent.
- Collect tickets.

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #765 on: August 31, 2017, 07:29:39 am »
I have bought a ticket at Finsbury Park sometimes if unable to get one at BPK as there is a manned ticket office.  (Bit of a delay but not usually too bad and I don't have a smartphone!)

I've never had a problem with not being able to buy one and just explained when getting off that the machine wasn't working.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #766 on: August 31, 2017, 10:57:50 am »

Offline Nobby

« Reply #767 on: September 05, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
Went to collect pre-paid ticket from machine at lunch-time. Yet again it was out of order. Another wasted trip, but hey that's my problem not Govia's.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #768 on: September 05, 2017, 02:45:40 pm »
Went to collect pre-paid ticket from machine at lunch-time. Yet again it was out of order. Another wasted trip, but hey that's my problem not Govia's.

I read on their site that even if you nominated BP for collecting pre-paid tickets you can use any machine at any station. So I am now buying in advance, taking a copy of my confirmation, and a picture of the out of service sign on all my trips. So far so good.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #769 on: September 05, 2017, 03:28:45 pm »
If the train company think I'm going to all that trouble for a single to Potters Bar then I'm afraid they're not going to get a fare from me if there's no-one at the other end to collect the fare.

The following users thanked this post: Nobby, Angel

Offline Nobby

« Reply #770 on: September 06, 2017, 04:49:03 pm »
I have now sent the following complaint to Great Northern, following another wasted walk to the station.

"I have now made a second wasted journey to Brookmans Park station in an attempt to collect a prepaid ticket. Yet again the machine is out of order. I note also that the timer on the machine provides a date / time of 6.13 on the 4th Sept. You have left the problem unresolved for the best part of three days. Furthermore on the last three occasions I have passed through the station during ticket office "opening hours", the office has been shut. The service is appalling. What are you going to do about it? I believe you are trying to reduce ticket sales from the station as a pretext for unmanning the station on a permanent basis."

Our MP wrote to Great Northern about this time last year, and he appears to have achieved little, so I doubt whether my complaint will make much difference either. Govia will wring as much money out of the Great Northern franchise by fair means or foul, in order to pay increased dividends to their shareholders, and invest in their French operations.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #771 on: September 06, 2017, 06:58:08 pm »
I have now sent the following complaint to Great Northern, following another wasted walk to the station.

"I have now made a second wasted journey to Brookmans Park station in an attempt to collect a prepaid ticket. Yet again the machine is out of order. I note also that the timer on the machine provides a date / time of 6.13 on the 4th Sept. You have left the problem unresolved for the best part of three days. Furthermore on the last three occasions I have passed through the station during ticket office "opening hours", the office has been shut. The service is appalling. What are you going to do about it? I believe you are trying to reduce ticket sales from the station as a pretext for unmanning the station on a permanent basis."

I've tweeted to see if there is any response via that route.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #772 on: September 06, 2017, 07:02:47 pm »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #773 on: September 07, 2017, 10:18:15 am »
Still out of order last night, date on screen still 4/9/17 (Monday)

The following users thanked this post: Nobby

Offline Nobby

« Reply #774 on: September 07, 2017, 02:21:55 pm »
Well they aren't working very hard to get the problem fixed. It was still out of order at 2pm today.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #775 on: September 10, 2017, 10:14:46 am »
Passed the station yesterday whilst walking the dog and saw the machine out of order, the date had moved on to 11:57 Friday so if they did fix it didn't last long.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #776 on: September 11, 2017, 06:15:39 pm »
Trains not looking so good tonight. Anyone know why? All I can find is this tweet, but not sure why and if that is affecting our line.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #777 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19:04 pm »
A lot of our services are made up of services from Hertford into Moorgate, which I'm guessing aren't running hence our cancellations. Yippee.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Red-Point

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • CAA Certified Aerial Photography & Videography
« Reply #778 on: September 13, 2017, 10:52:22 am »
Engineer in attendance at 10:30 this morning.  Apparently it's "teething problems" for technology that's been around for years!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #779 on: September 14, 2017, 07:36:53 am »
Anyone got a spare windows disk  Great Northern could borrow?

James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

The following users thanked this post: Editor, Angel

Tags: