Author Topic: Site ten years old  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Site ten years old
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:34:40 am »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter is ten years old this summer. Thanks to all who have supported the site over the past decade. Click here for more details, or add your own reflections on the site's last ten years below.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Site ten years old
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:32:20 pm »
Thanks to this site I have met many nice people and had a few pleasant jars in the old Brooky.
Well done Dave.

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:18:11 pm »
And a well done from me as well.  :)
Cheers
Steve

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:04:31 pm »
Thanks Jet and Steve, but it really has been a team effort. James was there from the start helping sort out my dodgy code and making all the interactive elements such as the classified ads, the What's On and the business and community directories. Bernard was the second pair of eyes in terms of proof reading, and the moderators, Bob, Bob Horrocks, Ferdie, John Fraser, Max, Mermaid, Sasquartch and Supersonic have kept an eye on things from day to day. And of course it wouldn't be half as much fun without all the registered members who make the forum zip along.

:)

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline NZer

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 02:34:28 am »
I think you have done an amazing job - it must take a lot of time to keep something like this going.  It has kept me in touch with local affairs and I feel like a local every time I come over and stay with my mother (in Moffats Lane). 
Mind you the place has changed a bit since I left in 1962 !!! - there, I'm rather giving away my age!  I'm usually over at least once a year now. and have a son working in London & another just returned from 4+ years in Oxford.
All the best for the next 10years  :D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:57:49 pm »
Bob Horrocks has just sent in a black and white print out of the site from 18 May 1999 when the site was almost one year old. Thanks Bob.

John_fraser

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:27:30 pm »
Site enters tenth year
Pedantry, but the site was in it's first year in 1998. On the 1st January 1999 it entered it's second (calender) year, which means that it entered it's tenth calender year on 1st January 2007 and tenth actual year in July last year. It entered its eleventh at the start of this month.

Anyway. Well done. Considering that the Web was invented until late 1990, this must be one of the great granddaddies of community sites. 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:50:59 pm »

It entered its eleventh at the start of this month.

Thanks John, probably badly phrased. However in terms of complete years, if the site was launched in June 1998, surely it will be ten years old in June 2008? Doesn't it enter its 11th year after June 2008?

David

Offline Therock

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 09:41:12 am »
Well Done to you all for the hard work and endless time you have spent making this the No1 site in the world.Who wants to read the newspapers when we have "BROOKMANS.COM" ?. Keep the good work going.
Best wishes
THE ROCK

Offline AK

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 07:25:58 pm »
I'll also chime in and add a "well done". My wife and I recently moved from an area of north London that had a very active society that worked to improve the local area. However, its quarterly magazine, while well written and informative, was light years behind the BP Forum in its ability to disseminate information and local views.

Offline David Crouch

• Old Men Ride Old Bikes!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 12:48:51 am »
Happy Tenth Birthday Brookmans Park Newsletter

Congratulations on a truly wonderful achievment.

Well done David to you and your talented team of supporters and moderators.

May you all go from strength to strength.

Cheers,

David Crouch
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:03:34 am by David Crouch »

Offline Grumpy Old Roy

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 12:46:12 pm »

Dear David

As a recent newcomer to the BP website I would like to add my congratulations.

A great idea that engenders a community spirit and a feeling of belonging. especially for odd balls like me. So well done David, your OBE is on the way, if it isn't, it should be. Can someone of influence in BP have a word with HRH or the Lord Chamberlain.

Grumpy Old Roy

Tags: