Author Topic: QEII Hospital  (Read 29140 times)

John_fraser

Re: QEII Hospital
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2006, 01:28:02 pm »
From Herts 24
PLANS for a multi-million pound hospital at Hatfield have been scrapped. The East and North Herts NHS Trust announced this afternoon that the proposed new hospital was unaffordable.

Same story at:
Watford Observer
Hemel Today
This is Hetrfordshire

Can't say I'm surprised:
True, we have been promised a new hospital in 2008. Let’s hope that it is ready in 2008 and isn’t delayed ... Any one care to take a bet on someone saying in 2008 (or whenever) “if they have managed without out of hours A&E for 3 years then they don’t really need it in the new hospital”?

Seems I wasn't cynical enough.

Offline NMLHS

• Opinions on many things
  • North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 09:55:24 pm »
In 18 years of "Tory cuts", at least we still had a hospital. Now we're in the doubly insulting situation of a ton of additional tax and the hospital closing. Go figure!?!?!?

Poll tax
Council Tax
VAT 8% -> 17.5%
Insurance tax
Airport tax
NI up 1%
Perscription charges

The last goverment put down a good foundation of new taxes - which the current goverment has built more taxes upon - while closing hospitals - which the current goverment has continued.

Just one small thing re prescription charges - I can still remember Harold Wilson's government promising to abolish prescription charges and within six months doubled them on being elected.  I know that a rise from 1.5p to 3p [3d to 6d in old money] sounds small by todays standards but it shows the fickle nature of politicians.  Wow I must be getting old!

If as Grant says the new hospital has been shelved then we need to keep the QEII and divert the funds from the new hospital to upgrading what we have.  The Lister is too far away and Barnet General is too old and too inaccessible.  A larger free car park would be nice but I suppose that would be too much to ask.

Editor's Note: Edited only to fix broken quote box.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 10:28:55 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 10:38:31 am »
When did 'NMLHS' last go to Barnet Hospital? 

Barnet Hospital is very new.  In Feb 2002 I had an operation in the Phase 1 building which was less than 5 years old.  The week afterwards they opened Phase 2 to complete the building, and then cleared away many of the old buildings to create the large car park.  They now need to spend a bit more money to open up the remainder of the open space to enlarge the car park which is full to busting when I go for my annual checkups.  The cost would be recouped very quickly out of the extra car parking fees generated. 

It is Chase Farm Hospital that is run down, and possibly pulling down the linked Barnet Hospital in the league tables.  I saw a consultant at Chase Farm in November 2001 and the paint was pealing off the ceiling. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 10:39:40 am by Bob Horrocks »

John_fraser

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 01:35:38 pm »
Want to know where they will build the hospital? Check out the local constituencies:

• Barnet         Theresa Villiers (con) Majority   5,960
  • Hatfield       Grant Shaps (Con)     Majority   5,946
  • Hitching       Peter Lilley (con)        Majority 13,128
  • Stevenage  Barbara Follett (Lab)  Majority   3,139
  • Watford      Claire Ward (Lab)       Majority   1,148

So it’s between Watford and Stevenage

Offline Largey

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 12:20:19 am »
There is a new push to save the QE2 and to launch the "Hospital SOS" campaign led by Grant Shapps MP. This should have all of our support.   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHJDNuv8RU 

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 10:28:06 am »
By pure chance I was visiting the QE2 hospital when Grant Shapps was recording the above video.  Please be assured that I am in good health and hopefully will not have to be taken by ambulance to Lister or QE2, at least not for many years   :)  But you never know.

Our MP certainly gets around and is obviously doing all he can to improve life in Welwyn Hatfield.  He, his wife Belinda and children, also managed to be at the Christmas Tree lighting up ceremony at Bradmore Green yesterday evening. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 12:22:02 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 12:59:44 pm »
Received from Grant Shapps today

Thank you very much for adding your name to the Hospital SOS campaign.

You may be wondering what else you can do to help and I'm pleased to tell you there are a few things that you can do.

Please forward this actual email to your Welwyn Hatfield friends and neighbours, inviting them to go to http://www.HospitalSOS.com and sign up to the campaign.

Secondly, I would be grateful if you could find the time to print out the Petition form by clicking on this link:
http://www.HospitalSOS.com/petition.pdf and then ask your nearby friends and neighbours to sign up. Start with your own street. Remember, not everyone has access to the internet so you are likely to collect a greater number of signatures using the printed form.

Next please go ahead and download a Hospital SOS poster from:
http://www.HospitalSOS.com/poster.pdf and display it in your house, workplace or car. NB: Shop windows are a great place to grab public attention!

Lastly, please keep yourself informed about the various public protests that we plan to organise and join in.

We plan to hold public meetings, demonstrations, marches and much more besides.

Kind regards,

Grant Shapps MP
Member of Parliament for Welwyn Hatfield

Offline Local Walker

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2006, 10:52:40 pm »
With recent demonstrations, this has made it to BBC News including an article on Radio 4

Here is an article on it from the BBC which mentions protests in Hatfield ald elsewere (briefly). It is still on the reasoning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6202008.stm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 07:37:44 pm by Local Walker »

John_fraser

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2006, 09:06:34 pm »
Having said that, I have great affection for the QEII - One of my sons was born there, another was given literally life saving treatment there and I very much doubt if I would have survived a serious illness if it had not been for the first class treatment I received there in 2001. Leaving my personal emotion to one side, the drive from here to Stevenage is going to take 35 minutes on a normal day and will cost a fortune in a cab. I had to make emergency drives to the QEII and take a cab on other occasions. In a similar situation, if the hospital had of been in Stevenage, I would of had to call an ambulance. This move would/will add extra strain on the ambulance service. A service that is already under stress

[ I've editied this and moved the replys to a new topic to keep this one about the QEII]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 12:33:23 pm by John Fraser »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 10:29:19 am »
On todays BBC News 'Have Your Say' a discussion about closing A&E units.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/default.stm

Seems it's not an issue specific to the QE2 unfortunately.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 06:43:42 pm »
Hi Everyone,

As a quick update the Hospital SOS campaign picked up 1,800 petition signatures in Hatfield Town Centre last Saturday and as has been reported on Brookmans the launch made one of the headline stories on the national BBC One evening news. You can watch that coverage from the left hand column at http://www.HospitalSOS.com

The online petition at http://www.HospitalSOS.com has picked up 1,000 additional signatures and is now fully cross party with Conservative, Labour and LibDem involved.  In the New Year we'll be getting together with various other interested groups and the Welwyn Hatfield Times to move Hospital SOS campaign forward as a united community.

In the meantime please encourage everyone you know to sign up either by downloading the petition form here:
http://www.HospitalSOS.com/petition.pdf or by signing the petition right here: http://www.HospitalSOS.com

All the best,
Grant Shapps MP

John_fraser

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 09:28:50 pm »
I've been thinking (not usually a good sign). Is it really important to save the QEII? Yes I'm fond of it for reasons given above, but emotion isn't really a a good reason to spend billions. I know we were promised  a spanking new hospital in Hatfield and we all know that that was cynically promise that TPTB never intended to honour. But do we really need two large hospitals or would one be better?

Put it another way; These things aren't free. Hospitals cost a lot - billions. Having two will cause duplication of costs. How much extra would you be willing to pay to keep the QEII? Someone has to pay. Would you be willing to see a doubling of your council tax bill? Is it worth cutting back on school facilities or selling off playing fields?

Maybe we should view the loss of the QEII as the loss of a loved but outdated institution whose time has come and gone.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 09:37:31 am »
Really have to strongly disagree with this.

If you are going to use the argument that fewer, bigger hospitals are better then where would you draw the line ? One hospital in London, Bristol, Manchester and Newcastle ??

Everybody, especially in a rich country such as the UK should have easy access to a hospital, especially for A&E. In the rush hour it can easily take 40-50 minutes to get to Lister, sometimes more. That time might make the difference between life and death.

Oh, and hospitals are not funded by Council Tax, but by central government who seem to be able to find the funds for a war (on two fronts) in the middle east, a massive social security bill and lots of other things, despite being expensive the costs need to be viewed in perspective.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 10:57:31 am »
A week before Christmas the Government issued for consultation its 'Proposed Changes' to the draft East of England Plan.  Those changes include making Welwyn Hatfield a Key Centre for Development and Change (KCDC), and it included the new Hatfield Hospital as a factor.  We now know that the latter will not happen but never the less this KCDC status is used to justify an increase from the original EEP figure of 5,800 homes in 2001-2021 in WH to 10,000.  Equivalent to another Hatfield in size, apparently.

There was no technical assessment to justify this figure - it was plucked out of thin air.  The 'Changes' document proposes that Green Belt boundaries are 'reviewed' to allow another 5,000 homes on Green Belt land between 2021 and 2031.  This means taking land out of the Green Belt for 9,000+ homes in the next 25 years.  I declare my interest   ;D

Stevenage is also to add 16,000 homes under the proposals.  The other areas for 5 figure growth the the county are Dacorum (Hemel Hempstead) 12,000 and East Herts (Harlow) 12,000.

In answer to John's question, it is short sighted and expensive to close either the QE2 or Lister when all these extra customers are in the pipeline.  Both hospitals will be required.  Since facilities like the A&E, eye department, maternity, children's wards etc  are being moved from QE2 to Lister, it is obvious that the Lister is being expanded and QE2 run down.  Where is the joined-up thinking? 

A reliable and knowledgeable person tells me that Herts Highways is not bothered about the daily traffic jams on the A1(M) in the 2-lane section at Stevenage.  To use another overworked expression, which planet are they on?

Save the QE2, please.  Sign the petition.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 11:01:21 am by Bob Horrocks »

John_fraser

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2007, 01:48:09 pm »
sasquartch,

to extrapolate my argument by suggesting that it leads to one hospital in London makes as much sense as me extrapolating yours to "where to we draw the line? a general hospital in every village?" Clearly we want as many hospitals as are needed and as  can be afforded. Any more is a waste of money.

Yes it can take an hour to get to Lister, but in an emergency I would probably to Barnet, which is closer. In either case an ambulance would be faster. It also begs the question how close does it need to be? It takes 20 minutes to get the QEII and that time too might make the difference between life and death.

I know that hospitals are not funded out of local taxation, but they are funded out of taxation i.e. by us. My question is how much are you willing to pay to keep the QEII. Yes the goverment throw all billions on a war that should never have been fought, but this is not a valid reason to waste money.

Bob,

I take your point, but it does not alter the fact that a single large hospital would be able to server the area for less cost than two smaller, but still large, hospitals.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2007, 02:30:53 pm »
I thought there was a question mark over retaining Barnet Hospital, even though the building is less than 10 years old.   :'(   I had an operation there 5 years ago so I am prejudiced for retaining it. 

Pity they have not finished the car park there, and that they change so much should you find a space. Traffic wardens are eagle eyed, as I found to my cost when I parked on a street nearby.

Offline goldfinch

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 03:02:55 pm »
In a real emergency I call an ambulance.  In a minor emergency I go to Chase Farm cos I think it's the nearest.

Yes Barnet Hospital is nice and new but the parking is appalling.  I was once summonsed there urgently cos they'd taken my husband in as an emergency following a road accident, but couldn't find anywhere to park.  I even asked the attendant patrolling the car park to help me find a space but he wouldn't.  I parked on a road nearby and ran.  Unless it's changed in the last couple of years there's free parking if you go a long way down the hill past the main entrance.

Buster

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 03:31:21 pm »
I have spent the morning at Chase Farm and they are talking about closing their A&E.  With all the closures it will leave serious overcrowding at Barnet hospital.

John_fraser

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 04:38:13 pm »
They extended the new bit of Barnet and knocked down the old. As a result I think parking got a lot better.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 05:24:09 pm »
Barnet hospital parking was easier for a while after they knocked down the old buildings 5 years ago.  I go once a year for a checkup and it is terrible for parking.  There is a section of what could be carpark nearest the main road but it is all fenced off.  A bit of cash spent on making it usable would soon be recouped by extra parking spaces.

Like Goldfinch, I park down Bells Hill from which there is a pedestrian access to the main carpark and hospital.  Bells Hill is free!!!!!  providing you can find somewhere to park on it of course.

Offline Therock

• Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2007, 02:58:14 pm »
As I stated in March last year06,that the proposed new Hatfield Hospital was not going to be built,I see that the land is now on the market.
Someone somewhere knew what was going on but decided to not tell us the truth.Value of land has shot up since last year.now put 2 and 2 together and what does it make...yes £££££££££££££££££ and lots of it.

My final word from my Mole I told you so...read my comments from March last year 06..
Well done Mr Mole,and same information he or she gave me regarding the new contracts last year regarding the Refuse collections.

Someone somewhere is earning a lot of Money from us
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 05:39:31 pm by Bob »

John_fraser

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2007, 08:37:18 pm »
I've merged this into the original thread to help its context and keep related posts together

BTW - I never doubted you and I doubt many others doubted you either.

Offline Mike Hobday

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
    • Mike Hobday
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2007, 09:01:40 pm »
An email sent to local residents this week:

The consultation, by the East & North Herts Primary Care Trust, about their plans for hospital provision in the east of Hertfordshire ends on Monday 1 October.

It is vitally important that as many people as possible submit, and explain, their views. I attended the public consultation meeting, in Welwyn last Friday, and there were only four members of the public present. If we do not submit our views, then there is a real danger that the Primary Care Trust will think that people do not care.

You can give your views online via the consultation form on the Primary Care Trust website (http://www.enherts-pct.nhs.uk/consultation/Category.asp?cat=1129). But, perhaps not surprisingly, this only allows you to choose between the Lister and QEII hospitals. Other options, like the Hatfield Hospital, can only be mentioned if you make your submission in writing or by emailing the consultation team at consult@herts-pcts.nhs.uk.

For my part, I will be supporting the cross-party submission from Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council (http://www.welhat.gov.uk/councildemocracy/pressreleases/05092007councilrespondstohealthconsultation). This welcomes what it calls “excellent suggestions in the consultation, particularly in respect of primary care” but criticises the abandonment, without sufficient evidence of the Hatfield Hospital plans.

Our former MP, Melanie Johnson, worked hard to persuade the Government of the case for a new hospital, and I am shocked and horrified that the unelected Primary Care Trust is proposing that the new hospital should not be built.

I believe that a new hospital, including a new specialist cancer centre, is right for local people and that it is the sensible option for the NHS. At the moment, the NHS is paying central London prices for the country’s teaching hospitals. It is much more sensible – and cheaper in the long term - to use that money to pay for a teaching hospital in Welwyn Hatfield in conjunction with the University. This will save money for the NHS as well as benefiting local people.

Specifically, therefore, I will be supporting Hatfield Hospital as my first choice, and the QEII hospital second.

Whatever your views, I hope that you will make a submission.

Mike Hobday
Labour Parliamentary Candidate, Welwyn Hatfield
http://mikehobday.blogspot.com/

PS We need as many local people as possible to submit their views to the consultation. Please forward this to your friends.
Labour Parliamentary Candidate for Welwyn Hatfield
Follow Mike's campaigns at http://mikehobday.blogspot.com/

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2007, 04:08:47 pm »
In the interest of balance, what does our current MP think?

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2007, 10:44:43 pm »
I think Mike is absolutely right when he says that it's vital for everyone to respond to the consultation.

On a broader note I set up the Hospital SOS Taskforce and asked Mike, along with other Labour, Conservative and LibDems to join a cross-party task force to fight for our local hospital healthcare.

I think it's of great credit to them that they agreed to join the taskforce and we've worked very constructively together raising our joint concerns. Specifically we put on a Rally which received TV coverage -- you can view the video here http://www.HospitalSOS.com and have built up a 30,000 signature petition which is being presented to local health bosses next week and Downing Street during the Autumn. In addition we have a sub group working on a technical response to the consultation and looking at the possibility of judicial review.

Mike and I are aware that nowadays people are (often rightly) cynical about politics and politicians, but I believe that we've shown that cross-party work really is possible on issues which cut across the community, like the future of our hospital healthcare and I pay tribute to everyone who has joined with me to make this possible. You'll see me saying this in public if you watch the Hospital SOS video at http://www.HospitalSOS.com

Of course that doesn't mean that we agree about the causes and reasons behind why it's the QE2 that's under threat and nor should it. I'm certain that we were promised a super-hospital when this was a marginal Labour seat, but that once the MP (who was a health minister) lost this seat they took the Hatfield super-hospital away. Furthermore in a County the size of Hertfordshire with over a million people it's interesting to note that there are 11 constituencies. 9 are Conservative held, 2 Labour.  But guess which will be the ONLY two constituencies with an acute hospital once this review is over?  You guessed it Watford and Stevenage -- and guess what both these constituencies have in common?  You guessed it! 

But all that could be co-incidence if it weren't for the discovery of a leaked memo last autumn which talked about political heat maps for hospital healthcare. The memo was generated from a meeting from the then Secretary of State for Health and the Labour Party Chairman of the time. So it's absolutely clear that our healthcare is being gerrymandered, but it is equally clear to me that the best way to fight the closure is to work together in a cross-party manner and that's why we've agreed to put these disagreements about the cause of the problem to one side and are united in our belief that Welwyn Hatfield deserves better, particularly at a time when we know we're expected to expand our population by tens of thousands of people.

You did ask...

Best wishes
Grant.

John_fraser

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2008, 12:09:27 am »
Want to know where they will build the hospital? Check out the local constituencies:

• Barnet         Theresa Villiers (con) Majority   5,960
  • Hatfield       Grant Shaps (Con)     Majority   5,946
  • Hitching       Peter Lilley (con)        Majority 13,128
  • Stevenage  Barbara Follett (Lab)  Majority   3,139
  • Watford      Claire Ward (Lab)       Majority   1,148

So it’s between Watford and Stevenage

Turns out QE2 services are moving to Stevenage. And now...

Green light for new Watford hospital
Planning chiefs have given the green light to a new state-of-the-art hospital in Watford.
The £1billion Watford Health Campus includes a 510-bedded hospital, hotel and a revamped football ground in Vicarage Road.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2008, 10:07:11 am »
Well done the psychic cynic!

Perhaps Claire Ward would like to come over here and explain why her constituency is more deserving than ours?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2009, 07:56:24 pm »
Local politicians slug it out on Twitter over the QEII. Strong stuff "ignorant health bosses" and "Tory dishonesty".

http://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/2891528562

http://twitter.com/MikeHobday/status/2911450140

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 10:09:29 pm »
The above seems to be a hook to entice one to navigate to another place to gain an up-to-date insight into the latest movements on an important local story. However I don't understand these links nor the mechanics of Twitter.

Is this forum merely an advert to reference other sources or a reliable source itself?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2009, 05:51:02 am »
The above seems to be a hook to entice one to navigate to another place to gain an up-to-date insight into the latest movements on an important local story. However I don't understand these links nor the mechanics of Twitter.

Hi nightlondon,

Yes, both of the short messages/updates put out by local politicians include links to other sites (the two images above are screen grabs of the messages, which is why I put the links in beneath). When they send a short form message, from either a mobile phone or a website, the may nclude a link because they want to direct you to another site where they have expanded on the point that is being made.

So you can see that politicians use tweets, as do businesses, journalists, media organisations such as the BBC, CNN and Al Jazeera to inform people of the latest updates in what they think are important issues.

It is probably the fastest way of disseminating news to a large number of people who have decided to follow your updates.

Regarding your question about the purpose of the forum.

Is this forum merely an advert to reference other sources or a reliable source itself?

Nothing has changed. As always, this forum exists to enable local people to raise and discuss local issues. There is never any guarantee of the reliability of the material posted and it should never be seen as a 'reliable source itself'. It is what people make it.

If people spot things that may interest other local people, they post about it. I spotted these two tweets on an important local issue posted by two local politicians that seem to offer two sides of the story.  I posted it because I realise that not all users of this forum are on Twitter and therefore they may have missed the updates by the two local politicians.

If you are interested in learning more about Twitter and setting up a free twitter account so you can follow the updates of people you are interested in, or provide updates others can follow, please click here to read more about Twitter.

I hope that helps clarify things.

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: