Author Topic: Welham Green by-election  (Read 28632 times)

John_fraser

Welham Green by-election
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:35:51 pm »
Looks like there's going to be a by-election in Welham Green early next year.

St Alban's & Harpenden Review

Daft to hold an election in January when there will be elections again in May, especially when it's for a powerless waste of money such as Hatfield Town Council. The article doesn't use a neutral point of view, bit I think it's pretty accurate in it's headline.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Welham Green by-election
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:12:17 pm »
Someone calling themselves Clarebear on the Welwyn Hatfield Forum claims to have got this together in the name of protecting democracy.

I have expressed some sympathy I have to admit although one is always conscious of the financial aspect of two elections in a few months. Part of me is drawn to the idea of "democracy at any cost".

I wasnt aware of the allegation of BNP agitation in this and I am annoyed if what I thought was a genuine burst of local enthusiasm turns out to be a political spat our our expense.

The other point I have made on that forum is that the resigned councillor neither lived nor worked in Welham Green and I have never seen him about. The other councillor- Keith Pieri- does live in Welham Green and is highly visible and active. We certainly dont "need" another councillor for a few months on that basis.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:34:32 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:25:55 pm »
Just to correct an error in the above.  It was a Welwyn Hatfield Borough Councillor who stood down, which is the reason for this by-election.  It has nothing to do with Hatfield Town Council.  And goodness knows why it should be of interest to the St Albans and Harpenden Review   ::)

It might appear daft to hold a by-election when there is to be a full local election next May but Keith Pieri is having to do the work of two councillors at the moment.  This Wednesday evening he was supposed to have been at three different meetings, all at the same time!  There is a lot happening in the Welham Green ward, which includes the RVC strangely enough.  See elsewhere in this Forum for that topic, plus the Welham Green Youth Project and the possible gypsy and traveller site to name but three items affecting the Welham Green ward.

Welham Green is not part of Hatfield, though it could be should the gap be filled by some of the enormous number of new homes to be built if the Government gets its way.  What planet does the resident of 10 Downing Street live on to think that the Olympic facilities as well as 3 million homes can be built by 2020.  And what about all the other things that go along with these new homes, like schools, hospitals, police, medical care, water supplies, sewerage, waste disposal, transport, post offices, etc.  Here I go again - sorry but it does get me annoyed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:28:43 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:50:29 pm »
I think Mr Obrien was also on the Hatfield Town Council but of course that is nothing to do with the Borough Council.

One interesting thing I have learned out of this is that while it takes 10 electors to force an election on a parish or town council, it only takes 2 for a Borough Council, hence the ease with which this has happened.

Does anyone know how far into Hatfield the South Hatfield bit of Welham Green and South Hatfield ward actually goes?

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 07:59:30 pm »
Sorry  I mistaken the name of the ward it seems to be just Welham Green but does any one know where it ends going northwards?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:25:43 pm »
The North Mymms Parish Council website www.NorthMymmsPC.org.uk has a map showing the northern boundary of the parish.  On the side bar, click on the link to maps etc and then under the second map (Brookmans Park) is a link to a map showing footpaths etc.  This footpaths map is after the 1974 local authority boundary changes but pre-dates the current A1(M).  It is still accurate regarding the boundary.

In effect the northern boundary is South Way (A1001) and a bit of Bullens Green including part of Bullens Green Lane up to number 68.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 12:30:44 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 02:38:49 pm »
I've been reading up about the upcoming Welham Green by-election and it seems that it has been called by the BNP who are trying to get another foothold in Herts.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:13:09 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:22:58 pm »
I wasn't aware that blatant political statements were permitted on this forum   >:(
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 10:13:38 pm »
I wasn't aware that blatant political statements were permitted on this forum   >:(

You are right Alfred, I have made and suggested edits.

For those who want to read them, click here for the forum guidelines on posts made during an election period.

Thanks

David
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:14:51 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:49:39 am »
The vital point is that people on the voting list for the Welham Green ward must VOTE on 3rd January 2008. 

OK, so the weather may not be good and the daylight hours virtually at their shortest, but there is a lot happening in the Welham Green ward, as I said earlier.  Since then we have learned there may be a new waste disposal/handling site at New Barnfield, Travellers Lane.

At the moment there is one Borough Councillor doing the work of two. 

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 12:01:53 pm »
Totally agree with Bob here. Whoever people vote for they need to vote for someone.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 08:30:01 am »
The details of the four candidates standing in Thursday's by-election in Welham Green have been published. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline rainbow

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 11:53:38 pm »
I would not worry about the BNP. We recently had an election in my village for a seat on Conwy County Council and the BNP got a total of four votes from a possible 1,800. I think itís time the government makes it law to vote then you would get a true reflection of who wins. Only 30% voted in our by-election.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 07:31:11 am by David Brewer »

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 05:18:06 am »
Did you know that in Australia it is compulsory to vote - be it Local, State or Federal. If you don't vote you receive a $100 fine and a please explain letter.

Offline heharim

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 11:12:28 pm »
I would not worry about the BNP. We recently had an election in my village for a seat on Conwy County Council and the BNP got a total of four votes from a possible 1,800. I think itís time the government makes it law to vote then you would get a true reflection of who wins. Only 30% voted in our by-election.

Always worry about the BNP as they get positions due to voter apathy.

I felt uncomfortable after casting my secret ballot in the hall for the party reps outside the hall to ask for my card - I do not want the BNP rep having my details - I refused as I know I have no necessity to  - I possibly would not have had it been the standard three parties.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:11:26 am by David Brewer »

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
Welham Green by-election RESULT
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 12:17:57 am »
The Welham Green by-election was won by the Conservatives. The result is posted here:
http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php?topic=2523.0

Happy New Year,
Grant.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 07:43:17 am »
Thanks for those figures, Grant.

The result has been put on the front page of this site. Click here to read the details.

Candidate Party Votes Percentage
Doug Berry Conservatives 539 40.68%
John Elvy Liberal Democrats 484 36.53%
Mark Fuller British National Party 214 16.15%
Bridie Croft Labour 88 6.64%

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 09:50:01 am »
Herharim, agree with you about voter apathy- clearly the high turnout shows this was not the case here and the BNP were no where near winning.

As for anwering questions to party reps outside the polling station, I always refuse whoever they are and whoever I vote for. its none of their business.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 12:03:09 pm »
and the BNP were no where near winning.

That is true although the BNP had over twice the votes of Labour which I find quite surprising. It's hardly comparable to the poster who commented that the BNP only got 4 votes in a Conwy by-election. 16% is still a not insignificant amount.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 12:50:45 pm »
and the BNP were no where near winning.

That is true although the BNP had over twice the votes of Labour which I find quite surprising.

In the same month as we learnt that our local hospital is going to be downgraded? I don't!

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 01:23:40 pm »
Is anyone out there good at maths and working out percentages and swings?

One site is claiming that the Welham Green result shows a 23.8% swing from the Conservatives to the Liberal Democrats.

From what I can figure out, compared to May 2006, the Tories are down 168 votes, the Lib Dems up 326, Labour down 110 and the BNP on 214 (having not stood last time).

So what does that mean in terms of swings?

I wish I'd paid more attention to sums at school.  :-\

David

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 01:43:58 pm »
I think, it works out roughly to that by

Working out the percentage of the vote drop for the C approx 26.11% and the percentage of the vote increase for the LD of approx 21.82%, add them together and then div by 2 = 23.96%

Mary

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 01:56:40 pm »
Just clicked your positive karma box for that one Mary.

:)

Thanks

David

Offline Iain

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 02:21:05 pm »
Talking to a couple of local residents, the swing away from Conservatives may have something to do with their intention of (a) proposing a "travellers site" in Bulls Lane, and (b) locating an incinerator nearby.

Iain

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 02:23:32 pm »

(b) locating an incinerator nearby.

Hi Iain,

Welcome to the forum.  Where is the incinerator going to be located?

David

Offline Iain

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 05:03:28 pm »
Hi David

I'm told it is planned to be somewhere along Travellers Lane

Iain

Offline JLC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 05:08:44 pm »
My reading of the material I got re Doug Berry's stance on various matters (copied below which I assume is ok as the election is now passed??) is that he is strongly AGAINST both things Iain mentions...

"...  1. Doug has specifically come out against the gypsy and travellers site being located off Bulls Lane because he believes that the site is completely inappropriate. No decision will be made on this until 2009.

2. Doug will resolutely fight our corner in regard to any plans for a recycling facility nearby to ensure that, if it did go ahead, there's no impact on locals. Again the decision is actually years away and this is one of 50 possible sites identified by the County Council. ..."

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 05:40:19 pm »
The possibility of a gypsy/travellers site and a waste handling site are not due to the Conservatives.  The County and Borough Councils are simply obeying orders from above.

Gypsy site, Bulls Lane, Bell Bar.
Central Government (New Labour) requires all local authorities to provide more sites for gypsies and travellers.  Because of this, the East of England Regional Authority is meeting on 25th January to accept recommendations to increase the number of authorised pitches (one per family) in the region from 1.836 to 3,023 by 2011, with another 17 in Welwyn Hatfield.  Consultants employed by Herts County Council and 5 local authorities produced a report in 2007 which could only recommend one site in the whole borough - on Bulls Lane opposite White Lodge Farm.  There will be a 12-week consultation in the Spring where you can make your views known.

There will be a public meeting about this starting at 5pm on Friday 18th January in the NM Youth and Community Centre, Station Road held by our MP Grant Shapps.

Waste Handling Site, New Barnfield, Travellers Lane.
 Landfill sites are filling up, and EU directives require more recycling of waste.  Central Government and the EU require all County Councils to provide more waste handling sites by 2020.  Some sites may simply be used to consolidate waste from several vehicles into one huge skip for moving elsewhere.  At some sites the waste will be sorted, and some will have an incinerator.    

One potential site is where there is currently a Central Resource Library at New Barnfield, Travellers Lane.  This is a ĎMajor Developed Siteí in the Green Belt. Until all the new sites have been selected it is not possible to say which use will be made of each site.

In 2007 the Parish Council and NM Green Belt Society attended a meeting where they learned about the reasons for these proposals.  In Spring 2008 the County Council will be consulting when you  can make your views known.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation, and you can send me a message via the IM if you have any query which I will try to answer, if I know the answer of course.  

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 09:53:30 am »
The BNP leaflets boasted that they were standing against the Tory plans for the gypsey site and incinerator. Presumably they were saying the same on the door step. This is a gross simplification of how these things work as Bob points out the management of these issues is down to the relevant councils, not necessarily  the policy of any party on those councils.

Interesting though that not only the BNP but also the Lib Dem vote was way up on normal AND that people were motivated enough to get out and vote. People must have felt they had something they wanted to say.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 10:14:43 am »
It was interesting to read about the Waste Handling Site.  I've been in the demolition, rubbish removals and recycling business for many years now in the UK and Australia. Over the last 10 years Brisbane City Council have built four major Waste Transfer Stations. They are very efficient and the best I've ever seen anywhere in the world. I wonder if anybody from the County Council has had a look at these systems. Although a long flight, they would be doing themselves a good favour. The stations in Brisbane are far superior to those in the UK - everything is done under the one roof, be it council, public or commercial waste and this includes all sorts of waste except for asbestos and hazardous. I could hark on about this forever but they really need to look for themselves.  By the way, I'm not saying they should build one in Travellers Lane!!

Tags: