Author Topic: Car scratched in Uplands Drive  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Susan

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Car scratched in Uplands Drive
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:54:58 pm »
I was visiting a friend in Uplands Drive today from 3.45pm to 6.45pm. I parked on the road, but pulled in so far that I had to open my car door into their garden to climb out.

When I went back to the car, I found someone had scratched a wavy line down the side of my car, on the side facing the road. :(

Has this happened to anyone else, or was it just me? Why would anyone do that?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
Re: Car scratched in Uplands Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 09:39:05 pm »

My sympathies to you, it's always rotten when something like this happens. It's probably fruitless to speculate as to exactly 'who' and 'why', because the permutations are too numerous, for example:

Neighbour with a grudge against parking in 'their' road, passing driver who thinks you've not left enough room for them to pass easily, casual passer-by who resented the look of your car, somebody you may have 'cut up' on the road without necessarily knowing it follows you and waits to take it out on the car, kids who think it's a lark  etc etc

Two questions - what does your friend say about it (have there been other instances along there for example), and is the damage bad enough to report to the police?

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 10:37:32 pm »
Yes, it could have been anyone. I wouldn’t want to waste police time by reporting it – I’m sure they wouldn’t do anything anyway.

I was pulled well in. And I don’t think anyone would resent my car – it’s an R reg Peugot ;)

Nobody was following me, either, as I went all the way down Uplands Drive, past the house, and had to turn round (carefully!) and go back.

There was a woman walking her small dog, who gave me a glare, as I went past her twice, but I don’t think she’d have done it :)

Guess I’ll just have to be grateful they didn’t stove in the windscreen...

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 05:21:28 am »

I parked on the road, but pulled in so far that I had to open my car door into their garden to climb out.

Hi Susan,

Could it be that you were blocking part of the pavement?  (you said you had to open your door into your friend's garden - which suggests you were close to the property).  If so, it might have annoyed someone who had to walk in the pavement.

Having said that, I am not suggesting criminal damage is an appropriate response.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 06:41:15 am »

There aren't any pavements in Upland Drive ........

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 05:02:02 pm »
Without trying to upset anyone on this forum....there are some strange people in BP who have far too much time on their hands.  About 3 years ago now, I parked my car just up from the shops on Brookmans Av. - not causing any obstruction - plenty of other cars parked up there. Came back to find a rather snotty note stuck under my windscreen...

Had my car keyed before - very upsetting. The insurance covered the majority of the respray but I still had to pay some towards it.  :-\

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:17:12 pm »
A few years ago I had a 3 week old car keyed all along the offside, from just in front of the rear wheel, along both doors up to the front wing.

Although a company car it was still a really annoying thing to happen and never understood why anyone would want to do it, unless pure jealousy, although it was a fairly run of the mill car.

I did report it to the police but that was mainly to get a crime number for insurance purposes.

Offline Johnny Redd

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 05:17:49 pm »
A note too all those with too much time on their hands, when you're next feeling charitable, i'd quite like some please.........   ;D

Offline PC Jo Wakelen

• Log on to message me using the email icon below
    • Hertfordshire Constabulary
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 09:32:33 pm »
I was visiting a friend in Uplands Drive today from 3.45pm to 6.45pm. I parked on the road, but pulled in so far that I had to open my car door into their garden to climb out.

When I went back to the car, I found someone had scratched a wavy line down the side of my car, on the side facing the road. :(

Has this happened to anyone else, or was it just me? Why would anyone do that?

Hi,
Susan did you report this to police.  I will make sure that we pay extra attention on our patrols in this area in a bid to deter any person who is intent on causing further damage.

Many thanks
Jo
PC Jo Wakelen, the community police officer for Brookmans Park and Little Heath. For all emergencies, please call 999. For non-emergencies, please calll 0845 33 00222. To contact our local office, ring 01707-638112.

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:14:18 am »
I didn't report it to the police.

However, this morning I was chatting to a friend when I noticed her car had a long scratch down one side rather similar to mine.

She hadn't noticed the scratch before, but said it must have happened the previous night - when her car had been parked in the same place as mine outside our mutual friend's house in Uplands Drive. This was in the evening up to about 11pm.

So do watch out if you're parking in that road :( I wouldn't think it was a vendetta against a particular house.

Cheers
Sue

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 10:17:08 am »
How curious. Would it be possible to ask your mutual friend if you could visit, park outside her house and then keep watch to see if anything happens? You might be able to catch the culprit in the act!

Offline sherlock1a

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 11:05:15 am »
Could it be there's a tree branch sticking out that's scraping down the side of the car?

Just thinking there might be a simple explanation, rather than something more sinister...

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 12:14:36 pm »
It's on the passenger side facing the road, Sherlock. Also, I know it wasn't there when I parked, as I opened the door to let my children out. And it's got a wavy flourish at the end :)

That's why my friend didn't notice that evening - she didn't have her children in the car and got out on the driver's side.

Mermaid - of course, he or she might be alerted now, but it would be a cunning plan  :D

Tags: