Author Topic: Food Hygiene  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Food Hygiene
« on: June 12, 2007, 10:11:01 pm »
You can now check out how your favourite restaurant or food store scored when the food inspectors paid a visit. Welwyn Hatfield Council has just released its latest food hygiene summary.

All food businesses operating in the borough are subject to a food hygiene inspection by the councilís environmental health department.

Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mallow

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Food Hygiene
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 12:47:17 pm »
Brookmans Park would appear to be a "Satisfactory" sort of place to eat.  I would have expected better from some of the higher priced establishments in the wider area.

::)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:17:48 pm »
It's the hygiene  that is satisfactory; No comment is made on the food or service. Satisfactory means exactly that: The establishments are meeting the hygiene standards and are not required to improve to keep their licences.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:25:17 pm »
... and remember to check the dates of the inspections. Some date back to 1997 --- the businesses could have changed hands a few times since then.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mr Green

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:00:27 pm »
Is there a like document covering Potters Bar?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 08:28:26 pm »
Not sure they have published one yet. There is no sign on their site.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 09:46:27 am »
Welwyn and Hertsmere borough councils have both recently updated their hygiene surveys for local food businesses. They say the aim is to offer the public a more informed choice about where to eat. Click here for more information.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:21:23 am »
I have only looked at the Welwyn Hatfield listing so far, but it makes interesting reading !!!!!  Particularly the 'less than satisfactory' and 'bad' ones, with 'little confidence' rating.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:39 am »
Looking at the results, a certain Indian Restaurant scored poorly.

However, the inspection was in January so possibly in the six months or so since, they've had chance to improve things.

Food hygiene isn't rocket science, there should be no excuse for anything sub-standard.

Offline awill

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 04:47:49 pm »
Helpful that the Welwyn list comes in at a broadband challenging 25mb, whereas the Hertsmere report is a mere 250kb, and much more user friendly (in that it just lists the establishments sorted by their star ratings from 5* to 2*). Come on Welwyn, why not make your file a) smaller and b) alphabetical or in quality order?

Offline sharks

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 05:59:54 pm »
Looking at the results, a certain Indian Restaurant scored poorly.

However, the inspection was in January so possibly in the six months or so since, they've had chance to improve things.

Food hygiene isn't rocket science, there should be no excuse for anything sub-standard.

Not sure what your point is Sasquartch.  Why have you singled out a "certain Indian Restaurant".  One "certain Indian Restaurant" scored better than the other two Indian Restaurants.

My view, go to a place where you are given a warm welcome, the food tastes great, the service is what you expect and you are happy to go back.  We in BP are lucky to have at least two curry houses that fit that bill.  Enjoy them both.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 07:12:08 pm »
Helpful that the Welwyn list comes in at a broadband challenging 25mb, whereas the Hertsmere report is a mere 250kb, and much more user friendly (in that it just lists the establishments sorted by their star ratings from 5* to 2*). Come on Welwyn, why not make your file a) smaller and b) alphabetical or in quality order?

Hi awill, welcome to the forum. I agree about the Welwlyn page, what a beast to download.

My view, go to a place where you are given a warm welcome, the food tastes great, the service is what you expect and you are happy to go back.  We in BP are lucky to have at least two curry houses that fit that bill.  Enjoy them both.

I agree, sharks, and particularly as the checks are carried out so infrequently. Lots can change in a couple of months.

David

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:45:59 am »
Not sure what your point is Sasquartch.  Why have you singled out a "certain Indian Restaurant".  One "certain Indian Restaurant" scored better than the other two Indian Restaurants.

My point is simply that one of the restaurants in the village scored 'less than satisfactorily'.

Sharks, I absolutely agree that your choice of restaurant should be based on the welcome, food and service. However I would also want to have confidence that hygiene was satisfactory. I believe that there is no excuse for this.

Lots can change in a couple of months

I agree and made that point in my original post.

Tags: