Author Topic: Don't forget to vote!  (Read 4619 times)

Offline tigger

• Opinions on some things
  • Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce
Don't forget to vote!
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:12:37 pm »
Please.
The wonderful thing about tiggers is that I'm the only one!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Don't forget to vote!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:11:34 am »
Only 40% turnout out to vote (1,810). Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 07:45:42 am »
I'm not surprised it was that low. We only received one election leaflet, from the Conservatives,  and that was really badly put together. I think that all the parties know that BP will only vote one way so they don't try here.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 09:14:22 am »
I think 40% is actually fairly high compared with recent elections

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:27:30 am »
At Swanley Bar we had a leaflet from the Labour candidate, but she does live on Hawkshead Road, Little Heath so maybe that is why we got one.  Or maybe because we have the only council properties in the Brookmans Park and Little Heath ward and she thought the residents would be likely to vote Labour?

To follow up John's point, the Labour and Conservative leaflets had similarities, but the Labour one contained less information and had a simpler format.  Both gave some personal information, both oppose the QE2 rundown, the extra housing under the East of England Plan, and want to 'maintain an attractive and safe local environment for residents' (quote from Labour leaflet). 

Naturally the Conservative leaflet says what good the Welwyn Hatfield Council is doing, and the Labour leaflet says the council is being tough on pensioners by increasing various fees, is desperate to sell off council housing and its maintenance service, and is wasting our money.  It contains a half-truth saying that Council tax rose by 4.5% this year, ignoring the fact that the Welwyn Hatfield element rose by only 2%.  The major rises were the County and Police elements which were affected by Central Government grant levels.

I agree with Sasquartch that 40% in a safe seat is a good turnout.    When the parish council circulated all 3.600 houses in the whole of the parish, 658 replied - 18%.  The topic was whether or not to fund a Police Community Support Officer which would have cost about 16,000 a year and would have added 10% on to the sum you pay the parish council.  Quite a good response.  Just to remind you, the survey result was against funding a PCSO.

John_fraser

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:36:00 am »
You can see the full results if you clieck here

The result was:
Stephen BoultonConservative     
Jenny BlumsonLiberal
Kevin Pressland     Green
Cathy WatsonLabour

So we're not exactly marginal. No wonder no one really tried.

Edited to correct names of parties
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 04:54:27 pm by Ferdie »

Offline Mallow

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:35:04 pm »
We didn't get voting cards or any leaflets through out door.  Did this happen to anyone else?
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 01:42:34 pm »
We didn't get voting cards or any leaflets through out door.  Did this happen to anyone else?

My voting 'card' came in the form of a letter, in the post

Only two leaflets through the door - Conservative and Green

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 01:50:58 pm »
That is what my Mum in Little Heath just told me but we didn't get a letter either.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 04:37:52 pm »
The council issued letters this year instead of the cards issued for previous elections.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 03:01:41 am »
The letters were introduced in order to help avoid election fraud (stolen votes), but in truth I don't believe it's a problem that we've ever suffered from in Welwyn Hatfield. In reality a large number of residents reported (at least to me) not having received their polling cards and some either forgot about the election or thought they couldn't vote without the card and so were disenfranchised.

I believe that it's probably a good idea to put the polling card inside an envelope, but that it should continue to be a piece of card and not a rather confusing letter which predominantly appeared to be an invitation to apply for a postal vote (included on the same sheet of paper).

I have written to the Chief Executive of Welwyn Hatfield Council who reported similar concerns and they have agreed to look into the matter before next year's elections which incidentally, uniquely in Welwyn Hatfield, will be all-out elections. Meaning that each Ward will elect 3 councillors at once with every one of the 48 council seats in Welwyn Hatfield being up for election.

Grant.
http://www.shapps.com/forum
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:58:41 pm by Grant Shapps MP »

Tags: