Author Topic: Michael Jonas  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Michael Jonas
« on: February 24, 2007, 04:32:51 pm »
Michael Jonas MBE, the man who founded the Gobions Woodland Trust and preserved the local woodland area for the community, has died.

Click here for a piece written by some of the volunteers who worked with Michael to maintain Gobions.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 04:44:48 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Michael Jonas
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:01:13 pm »
As someone associated with the North Mymms Youth & Community Centre, I wish to express my condolences to Michael's family. It is very sad to learn about the loss of such a stalwart of the community. Michael was very much involved in the Centre in its early days and maintained an interest over the years, attending the jumble sales and assisting with selling items of bric-a-brac. The legacy of his work with Gobians will remain as a testament and reminder of his contribution to the life of Brookmans Park and its surrounding villages.

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:31:38 pm »
I am very sorry to hear of Michael's passing, as we as a family walk in the lower woods most weekends and sometimes during the week aswell. It is quite simply a priceless asset to the area and a wonderful place to get back to nature and put modern life into perspective. The hard work put in by Michael and the team is noticed and appreciated by all who walk in the woods and I hope that a fitting memorial can be erected at some point.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:25:04 pm »
Never knew Michael, but knew of the great good he did for the village and Gobions.  My sincere sympathy to his family and my best of thanks to his memory for what he achieved for the village.

Mary

Offline NZer

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:52:41 pm »
I was very sad to hear of the death of Michael Jonas.  I never met him but appreciated the wonderful development of Gobians over the years.  It is a tremendous asset to Brookmans Park and I walk there whenever I visit. 
I first walked there in1956 and its so wonderful that, thanks to Michael, it will be there for future generations to walk and play in.
I send my sincere condolances to his family.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:48:22 am »
This is third hand information but I believe Michael used his own house as security for the initial loan to buy Gobions, bridging the funding shortfall in finance.  Without that selfless action it is possible the woodland would not have been bought by the Gobions Woodland Trust.

Another legacy to Michael is the Burns Pavilion at the Bowling Green, Bushwood Close, off Dellsome Lane, Welham Green.  He was the architect.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 12:35:33 pm »

We were very sorry to hear of Michael's death and would like to send condolences to his family.

It is thanks to Michael's vision for Gobions that we have this wonderful facility today. Without Michael, Gobions would have been sold to developers and the precious open space and woods lost to the community.

We would be very pleased to see a memorial to him.

Offline Aloo

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 01:16:14 pm »
Michael had a passionate belief in Gobions and was always one of the first into the mud to drag out a log blocking the ditch!   An inspirational bloke.     I was very sorry to hear of his death.

Offline francis

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:25:06 pm »
at the second time of trying ...
may I too add my condolences  -  for the loss of a truly committed, caring & courteous gentleman.  He will be sorely missed but Gobions will always stand as his personal testimony

Offline Ann

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 03:27:15 pm »
I have only just read of Michael Jonas death,as I haven't been on the Forum for some time.Over the years my father had many an altercation with Michael regarding the management of Gobions. However when my father died seven years ago I received a lovely letter of condolence from his wife. Therefore I am sadened to hear of his death and my heart goes out to his family.

Offline James Foster-Turner

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 03:23:25 am »
Hi there folks. I am so new here that I couldn't figure out how to post a message, so hi-jacked this topic ... would some kind person person pass this message on to Linda Jonas, please.

Linda, I am so very sorry to read that Mike died ... on the spur of the moment last week I googled Mike and the Brookmans Park site came up, and with it the sad news. I know we never met, you and I, but Mike came to my second wedding reception in Oxford in 1989. I have a watercolour of Sheringham which was your and Mike's wedding present and I am always reminded of him by it.

I am sure you knew that Mike and I started together at the AA in 1957 and became and remained firm friends until the eddies of life took us in different directions. I'd be more than happy to share my memories with you, if you'd like, and I include my email address here in case I can't find the appropriate message board or even this one again.  (j.fosterturner [AT] btinternet.com)

Mike told me about the Gobions project when it was in it's very earliest stages, and I see that it progressed to completion. What a tribute to a very dear old friend!

Thanks in anticipation

James

Note: Post edited only to move to correct thread and disguise email address by putting [AT] in place of @. If anyone wants to contact James simply reconstruct the email address. David
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:57:44 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 05:54:43 am »
Hi James,

Welcome to the forum. I have moved your post to an existing thread about Michael. I have also edited out your email address slightly to stop spammers scouring the site and picking it up.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: