Linked Events

• Herts24 Web Nominations close: March 16, 2007

Author Topic: Two Web Awards  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Two Web Awards
« on: February 23, 2007, 08:30:17 pm »
We've been approached by the Herts24 Web Awards team to submit this site for a new set of Hertfordshire-based web awards.

If you want to vote for this site in the Herts24 Community Web Awards 2007, please click here and follow the instructions.

We have also been invited by the New Statesman to enter their annual competition again. We've won that twice and been commended three times.

You can nominate the site for the New Statesman New Media Awards 2007 by clicking here and submitting a nomination.

David
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:12:04 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Two Web Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:08:59 pm »
A forum user asked me where the banners were to vote for the site in the Herts24 competition and the New Statesman competition.

The banner for Herts24 is in the post above and so is the New Statesman link.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:13:47 pm »
I was amused by the strange 'recommendation' for this site NOT to be considered for an award in the New Statesman New Media Awards.

The entry reads.

The site should NOT win any award. Criticism of local institutions and interests is effectively denied by the site administrators. For instance, criticism of a local school that denies entry to local pupils is stifled - not suprising given that the some of those runnind the site send their children there. Further, property development is seen as a form of collective rape - hence the moderator of one forum is the chair of the local green belt preservation society. In essemce, the site serves a narrow band of interests and fails to reflect fully the diversity of opinions of the village.

Nominated by (name removed for privacy reasons), 06 March 2007

Click here for the page where you can add your nominations, both positive and negative, to those submitted by the author.

:)

David
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 03:18:58 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:48:55 pm »
Why have you given the man the courtesy of withholding his name for 'privacy reasons'? He has clearly identified himself on a site freely accessed by the public.

So, step forward and let's hear what your problem REALLY is:

Child not got into a local school? You may freely criticise Government-led entry policies (as other contributors have done in the past) as long as you don't defame the school, or indeed anybody else.

Fed up because we have an active local Green Belt Society? Think the Green Belt ought to be built on? Do YOU want to build on it? Then post your views, nobody's stopping you! Plenty may disagree with you, but nobody's stopping you.

Edited to remove identy of author of New Statesman nomination.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:46:44 pm by David Brewer »

Offline speedwell

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:48:57 pm »
Thank you to all the people who put in the time and effort to keep this web site going.  Personally speaking I would like to thank this site for being informative to the residents of Brookmans Park and its locality.  I have posted a note of this affect to the web awards. 

There are ample opportunities for people to give comments and views.  Unfortunately there are always people who do not agree and it sounds a bit like sour grapes to me.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:23 am »
Last weekend I met someone who is on the team producing a village website for Datchworth.  She said they based the design etc of their village website on www.brookmans.com.  Imitation is said to be the most sincere form of flattery - or wording something like that.

A while ago, a reporter at the WH Times sometimes used to phone me up presumably when the paper is a bit short on items.  She said that something always seems to be happening in Brookmans Park and North Mymms generally.

I agree with Mermaid, the author should voice his opinions here.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:51:34 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:30:35 pm »
We have been contacted by the organisers of the New Statesman New Media Awards 2007 to inform us that the rather bizarre negative nomination for this site (which recommended that people DON'T put the site forward) has been removed due to the "aggressive language and negative tone of the writer of the nomination".

I trust the author won't blame this site for the decision.

:)

The New Statesman team has invited the Brookmans Park Newsletter to continue to be part of the awards by entering a fresh nomination.

If anyone would like to, the form is here.

Apologies to those users who added comments to the original nomination. They will have been lost now due to the New Statesman's decision to remove the original nomination.

David

John_fraser

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 03:15:24 pm »
I know a person with the same name as the author who lives in the village. If you do a little detective work you will see that he has voiced his opinion here under a colourful nom-deplume and has raised most of the criticisms in his anti-nomination.  I won't defend what he said here, as if he is the person I know he doesn't need me to defend him, but I think the remark about his children and the school is wrong. Firstly it isn't true.  Secondly, even if it were, it shouldn't be used to negate his criticisms. Lastly, his anti-nomination was about how criticism of the school is dealt with here and that is the point that should be addressed.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:46:18 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 03:38:22 pm »
Hi John,

The issue of criticism of the school has been addressed on a number of occasions. To recap, anyone can say what they like as long as it is not defamatory or offensive.

There has only been one post removed by moderators as far as I am aware (I will check the removed post area later and update this thread). It was on the old forum was verging on the obscene. It was taken down because it would have caused offence.

The other was about the driving habits of some Chancellor's School sixth formers. I suggested that rather than generalise about a whole group it would be better to pass the details on to the police and the school. I edited the post accordingly.

Anyone can post whatever they like in this forum as long as it is not defamatory and doesn't break the site's rules on taste and decency.

David
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:39:54 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 09:00:40 pm »
Tomorrow is the last day for voting in the Herts24 Community Web Awards 2007. If anyone wants to vote for this site, please click here and follow the instructions.

David

Offline zorb

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 10:19:08 pm »
David

I am unable to post any remarks under the BPH link.
The reply prompt is not there.  Any ideas?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 12:01:21 am »
Hi Zorb,

The Herts24 competition is now closed for nominations and we haven't been nominated for the New Statesman.

David

Offline zorb

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 10:01:51 am »
David

I was referring to the chat on the BPH.
I am unable to post a reply on that subject.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 10:13:38 am »

Zorb, if you look at David's last message on the BPH thread you will see that he has now locked the thread because the BPH no longer exists.

You are welcome to start a new thread entitled 'Brookmans' if you wish   :)

Tags: