Author Topic: Bin collection days changing  (Read 12794 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Bin collection days changing
« on: February 18, 2007, 07:12:13 am »
Refuse collection days are to change from 1 April as Welwyn Hatfield introduces plans which it says are aimed at increasing efficiency and reducing pollution.

Click for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Bin collection days changing
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 05:43:08 pm »
Whilst I wouldn't want to wish this on anyone else, at the moment the dustcart wakes me up about 6:05am every Thursday morning and it would be lovely if due to the change of rounds we now get done later in the day...
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Alfred the Great

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 10:07:36 pm »
Looks like us good people in Great North Road get collections on Monday, Wednesday and Friday!!
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

John_fraser

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:56:09 pm »
Has anyone had any official notification of this from the council? I hope the council isn't relying on web notification.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 01:58:23 pm »

I haven't had anything through the door yet regarding the change in collection days, normally we at least get a flyer.....

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:57:12 pm »
Normal household rubbish will be collected on the new date which was advised some weeks ago.

The collection of glass, paper and garden refuse is supposed to be unchanged according to advice from the council, but this last two weeks mine has been collected a day later for some unknown reason.   ::)

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:05:58 pm »
Well we weren't advised of anything, and as we don't take the local paper either I looked it up on the Welhat website with the result that Great North Road appeared to be getting three collections per week!!! No explanations of which bit of GNR was collected on what day. But judging by the collection days for Mymms Drive, etc, looks like its a Friday for us.

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Abbot

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 08:02:15 am »
So will they working Food Friday and Easter Monday.

LongTallSally

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 08:04:45 am »
Does anyone know what is happening this week?

Assuming the new collection days come into force our collection will be friday...or rather it won't be as friday is Good Friday and a bank holiday. Does that mean the collection day will be saturday, or the folllowing friday?

...and along with everyone else, I haven't received any notification from the council, which is disgraceful.

Offline flw67

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 09:43:49 am »
According to the welwyn hatfield website, collection will be good friday, then the following week Saturday (14th).  There was notification of it in amongst all the other bits of paper in the envelope the council tax came in.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 10:51:51 am »
In common with everywhere in Welwyn Hatfield my road is full of bags put out ready for the usual collection day and is now subject to 'attack' by cats, vermin and birds and even the local youths who consider it's fun to open the contents all over the green outside my house... bless 'em. To be fair to the Council and Serco a leaflet was distributed around the Borough, but it was weeks ago and of course we all get so many leaflets it's not surprising most people have ignored it or forgotten about it. News of the change was on this web site too but that was initially back in February. Maybe it's my age, but I have difficulty remembering last week, let alone last month!  :-[  I guess we could have had another reminder from the Council, but the most obvious way that some councils employ, sticking a leaflet on the wheelie bin isn't a realistic option, as the date of the recycling collections are not changing and not everyone would have one of those bins out anyway and the council doesn't provide bins or bags for our general waste - where would they have stuck the leaflet? (Behave!!!! ;D).   Hopefully, Serco will quickly get on top of the Easter backlog and residents will soon adjust to their new collection day. I'm surprised the council hasn't seen an opportunity to 'get rich quick' and fine residents for putting their rubbish out on the wrong day.... or maybe they have... be afraid, very afraid and await the summons - 'Big Brother is Watching You'!

Buster

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 11:07:14 am »
They cannot expect everyone to have access to the internet - we did not receive a leaflet advising of changes.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 10:57:19 am »

The link at the start of this thread doesn't pick up the latest page on bin collection on the Welhat site any more, so I've rung the council.

I only asked about Bluebridge Road and Avenue, but they confirmed that our day is now Friday and they do expect a collection to take place this Friday 6th April.

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 11:52:08 am »
new link to bin changes
Bob

John_fraser

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 04:51:59 pm »
Judging ny the number of bags left out this morning, the council has done an inept job of letting people know about the change. The local cats and rats will have a feast and the road is going to look like a tip. :(

Offline heharim

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 10:51:44 am »
 >:(
Bins are out - no collection as yet - crows are having a wonderful time pulling the bags to shreds and littering the area with stuff that has been sitting around for longer than usual because of the change from Mon to Fri.

The system seems to be rubbish!!

Ho hum

Offline NMLHS

• North Mymms Local History Society informant
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 12:30:21 pm »
They went down Moffats Lane at 6 AM

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 01:57:37 pm »
2pm  and no sign of any refuse collection in Peplins Way

Offline Carrie

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 03:20:24 pm »
Its been three weeks now and no rubbish has been collected from Bradmore Green.  With all the refuse from the restaurants too, it's really starting to smell.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 04:46:27 pm »

Then you must ring the council ASAP on 01707 357000 and ask for 'refuse dept' and report the non-collection. If the rubbish was put out on the right day but not been taken, the chances are that the team has forgotten to collect it, or that that it's a new team unfamiliar with the roads around here. The council should send out a special 'grot squad' (my words not theirs) to take it away.

Offline Carrie

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 06:52:32 pm »
Thanks Mermaid.  I eventually got through (have been trying now for 5 days) - was waiting for 20 mins this time.  Apparently there had been 3 complaints today about the same area!  Fingers crossed. 

Offline Largey

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 10:45:37 pm »
No rubbish collection from Swanland Road either since the week before last. Managed to contact WHC after being on hold for 45 mins. They could not give an explaination as to why and said that they would send round a waggon. No sign yet though. I think this is a bigger issue that someone is keeping quiet about !!!  :-X

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 11:20:34 am »
Rather than hang onto a phone for ages running up your phone bill why not use the 'contact' facility on www.welhat.gov.uk?

I did just that, not having received my Council Tax bill though they did start to take direct debit payments of course.  A quick email and I got a reply and a bill.  Not sure if I should now use this symbol   ;D for the quick reply or this one  :'( for the bill?

Offline Largey

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 05:26:11 pm »
Well true to their word they turned up today and took everything. Hopefully I will not have to remind them again ! :-)

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 08:48:18 pm »
Our recycling boxes had not been emptied since before Christmas!!!   I tried on numerous occasions to contact the council by phone without success.   I did email them but had no reply.   I saw the dustmen last week and asked them what I could do about it and they kindly offered to take it away with the general rubbish (so much for recycling).   I declined their offer and phoned the council, this time receiving a reply and finally this week they have collected over three months worth of glass and paper.

Tags: