Author Topic: High winds in BP  (Read 8819 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
High winds in BP
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:31:12 pm »

Just lost 6 fence panels!  :(

Sorry to the motorist who had to avoid my wheelbarrow careering down the road, but at least it didn't catch you ...

If anyone knows a good fencing man please IM me ASAP.

John_fraser

Re: High winds in BP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:35:04 pm »
If anyone knows a good fencing man please IM me ASAP.

I think the site rules allow me to recommend Peter Joppich - click here to see his work

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 01:50:37 pm »
Could be fun getting home

From First Connect
Line problem in the Oakleigh Park area.
Train services on all routes via Welwyn Garden City are being disrupted due to a tree on the line in the Oakleigh Park area.

Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays of up to 60 minutes can be expected.

Services are at a stand in the Oakleigh Park and New Barnet area owing to a tree on the Overhead Lines. London buses and London Underground are passing FCC ticket holders on all routes. Passengers are advised not to travel due to severe disruption to all services.

Line problem between Welwyn Garden City and Moorgate.
Train services between Welwyn Garden City and Moorgate are being disrupted due to high winds have caused a tree to fall on the line.

Short notice alterations and delays can be expected.

Trains are being diverted to Potters Bar and will not serve stations between Potters Bar and Welwyn Garden City.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 02:48:31 pm »
Suppose that means a train to Cuffley or Radlett?

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 02:57:39 pm »
Trains to Cuffley, Potters Bar, Brookmans Park, WGC are all currently suspended. Hurrah. 20 mile walk here we come... ?

They are still running at the moment to Radlett and St Albans but a reduced service so I would imagine it's a bit rammed.....
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 03:02:42 pm »
Anyone want to share a cab later on?

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 03:53:39 pm »
Just in from Herts Police

January 18, 2007
WEATHER WARNING
By Corporate Communication Dept

Whilst the high winds continue police are advising people to stay indoors and only make journeys if they are absolutely necessary.

Police are currently responding to a number of calls from around the county including fallen trees, high sided vehicles blowing over and damage to buildings.

Police are working in partnership with the other emergency services and other public bodies to minimise risk to the public, manage the county’s roads and highways and ensure the county returns to normal as soon as possible.

The County’s control room is experiencing a high volume of calls at this time and we would request that the public refrain from calling the police at this time, unless it is an urgent matter or emergency.

John_fraser

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 05:02:13 pm »
Looks like Chancellors is closed tomorrow

The gale force winds have severely damaged the facia on one of our main teaching blocks. Until this is repaired this poses a danger to all pupils and staff. School will reopen as usual on Monday 22nd  January.

Offline Birch

• Opinions on many things
  • I am God (no really!)
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 05:20:29 pm »
Has the WGC line reopened?

Offline Dilbert

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 05:32:25 pm »
Has the WGC line reopened?

My wife was at Moorgate at 5.15pm and the line was still closed then  :(

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 06:45:48 pm »
FCC update at 6:15pm

Passengers are advised not to travel unless necessary. First Capital Connect tickets will be valid on all reasonable London Underground and London Bus services. Two trains an hour will be running between Peterborough and Welwyn Garden City calling all stops. Two trains an hour will be running between Cambridge and Hertford North. A shuttle train service will run between Kings Cross and Bowes Park and between Moorgate and Bowes Park. Shuttle bus services are running between between Finsbury Park and Hertford North, between St Albans and Hatfield, between St Albans and Welwyn Garden City, between Luton Airport Parkway and Hitchin, between Luton Airport Parkway and Stevenage, between Bedford and Sandy, between Kings Cross and Stevenage.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 08:21:35 pm »
Thanks for the updates.

Glad I decided to book a hotel in London tonight.

Didn't fancy the trip in Friday morning.

Thanks to eveyone for updating the site.

David

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:40:00 pm »
It says on the front page that Chancellors will be closed on Friday 18th January but Friday is the 19th

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 09:21:11 pm »
Thanks Cassie - I've made the edit.

JAmes

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 12:08:23 pm »
Just when you thought it was safe to go to work...

Journey home tonight could be interesting unless things improve soon:

'Train services between Alexandra Palace and Welwyn Garden City are being disrupted due to overhead wire problems in the New Barnet area.
Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays can be expected.
Moorgate to Welwyn Garden City services have been revised and will terminate and start back from Alexandra Palace. A replacement bus service will depart from Alexandra Palace at xx.00 and xx.30hrs calling all stations to Welwyn Garden City. A fast bus service will depart Alexandra Palace at xx.15 and xx.45hrs calling Potter's Bar, Hatfield and terminate at Welwyn Garden City. Passengers requiring stations north of Welwyn Garden City to Stevenage will be provided with transport from Welwyn Garden City these buses will call at Welwyn North and Knebworth and are running approx half hourly.Passengers from Welham Green and Brookmans park should travel on buses to Hatfield for train services to London. Passengers from Hadley Wood should travel on buses to Potters Bar for train services to London. There will be one train per hour between Moorgate and Hertford North calling at all stations, departing Moorgate at xx.52 and departing Hertford North at xx.52 mins past the hour. Replacement road transport will be provided between Hertford North and Stevenage via Watton at Stone.'

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 12:36:17 pm »
James, do you do pillion? 

Oxford Circus - 17.30hrs with crash helmet and you can have my pillion seat ;D
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline JLC

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 12:41:41 pm »
Or there's always the pannier rack on my push bike if you are prepared to get off and push up the hills!!

James

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 02:37:24 pm »
James

If you can get a tube to Holland Park by a little after 4.00pm you are welcome to a lift in my car - that goes for any BP people stuck in London.

KR

Barnabus

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 02:48:52 pm »
I followed the JLC idea, and cycled up from central London to home yesterday which was interesting with that wind blowing (I reasoned that if a tree was going to fall on my head, it could quite easily do so whether I was on an overground tube, bus or bike!) Would love to do the same again but the legs are in an open state of rebellion - how on earth do you manage it four times a week JLC! Am hoping that by the time I finish work things will be drifting back to normal.

Thanks for the offer of a pillion Mallow, but I've seen the way you drive that Quad Bike  ;D

Offline JLC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 04:46:25 pm »
I followed the JLC idea, and cycled up from central London to home yesterday ... Would love to do the same again but the legs are in an open state of rebellion...  how on earth do you manage it four times a week JLC!

By the end of the week my legs hurt too.  I chose to use public transport yesterday - big mistake - and the "hurt" involved in getting home by tube and bus was far worse than the odd hill!

Hopefully tonight - for once - the wind will be blowing me home!  Next week's looking a bit chilly though...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:48:46 pm by JLC »

Tags: