Author Topic: Near miss in Moffats Lane  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Near miss in Moffats Lane
« on: December 16, 2006, 04:48:34 pm »
To the young man in the black car who nearly hit me at lunchtime today.

You were doing at least 45mph along Moffats Lane, treating the parked cars as a chicane.

You pulled in between two parked cars on your side of the road as I was driving towards you, but then decided to pull out again and dart round the second one.

I expect body repairs on a Mercedes are expensive; so that decision nearly cost you a lot of money. Fortunately Mercedes have seriously good emergency braking. I came to rest with one wheel on the kerb a couple of feet from an obstruction, and the other front wheel no more than a foot from your car.

If you keep driving like that and hit a pedestrian one day, I expect you'll kill them.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
Re: Near miss in Moffats Lane
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:07:14 pm »
My wife had a similar experience earlier this week only with three fast cars with young drivers. She found this very alarming and is trying to establish who it was.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:43:11 pm by Peter Hastings »

Max

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:47:13 am »
I have often thought that people drive too fast in Moffats Lane, right from the days when I used to live there and some b*****d ran over my cat! I think it is that long, straight downhill section that encourages them. The introduction of speed bumps in the Avenue was a good idea. Perhaps a few judiciously placed ones in Moffats Lane would be useful, too.

Offline NZer

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 09:07:04 pm »
Its not always a near miss.
 My elderly mother was being taken down to the village by her carer a week or two ago when they were hit by a young man.  The carers car was a write off.  The ambulance wanted to take my mother to the hospital, but she is made of strong stuff and just wanted to go home, which she did!!
 However, she was badly shaken and very bruised and has taken weeks to recover. :(

Offline Susan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 09:39:36 pm »
What an awful thing to happen. Hope your mum's ok now.

You'd think that parked cars would make it safer, as people would slow down...

Cheers
Sue

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 10:11:29 pm »

Some drivers don't slow down at all for parked cars, they just pull out and expect drivers coming the other way to brake. It happens so frequently that I checked with a policeman pal to see whether the Highway code had changed since I started driving, but no it hasn't. What has changed is some people's attitude to driving - they just do not see why they should follow the rules, let alone observe any of the courtesies.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother NZer and I do hope that she makes a full recovery.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 10:37:49 am »
And some people wonder why insurance is so expensive for drivers under the age of 25.  The knock-on problem is that it increases the number of uninsured drivers.  Just a reminder that there had been complaints of fast drivers on Pine Grove, but Jitu used a mobile speed gun durng school holidays and found a number of drivers were speeding so they were not children attending the school.

So- called speed humps can also be a challenge for drivers of stolen cars -  I refuse to call them 'joy riders' because they are thieves causing no joy to anyone except their own self.  They see how fast they can drive over them. 

The Telegraph motoring page frequently has letters about the damage these humps do to car suspensions even when driven reasonably slowly.  And on the Walk in Potters Bar the Highways people (or whoever) had to replace the original humps because bus drivers threatened to refuse to take their buses on the Walk. (by memory so I may not be exactly right).  It is my belief that drivers go down Moffats Lane rather than use Brookmans Avenue because of the humps on that road.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 10:50:56 am by Bob Horrocks »

Offline NZer

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 10:03:49 pm »
Thanks for the concern about my mother.  As far as I can tell from this distance,(I live in NZ, but come over every year at the moment), she is recovering well, but everything takes longer at her age.
I don't know what the answer to this problem is except for drivers to taken extreme care.  I've been up and down the road from time to time over the last 50 years (that's a bit telling isn't it!!) and it seems to have only become a problem in the past 15 years or so.

Max

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 08:48:45 am »
Well, if humps don't work, why not some of those things that cut the road down to a single lane in places? Maybe you are correct about more people using Moffats Lane now they have humps in the Avenue, Bob, but as far as I remember, people have always driven like idiots down there. It ought to be possible to do something to prevent it.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 09:44:13 am »
Humps might work, but are an inconvenience for all.

Road narrowing is expensive, and remember all that pathetic bleating about 'it causes accidents' in Welham Green.

I think a better answer might be available, see the attached link - it's a bit messy but I think you'd only have to do it once.

I'm saving up for my own.

https://mfcbastion.external.lmco.com/mfc/videolibrary/JAVELIN-LiveFire_PG.mpg

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 10:11:24 am »
Wow! :o

ADM - here do you find these things? 

Max - You may well be right but the number of cars on UK roads keeps increasing and road rage seems to be rising in line with numbers, give or takethe odd 100% inaccuracy in statistics that is only too common today.  We live in an age where anyone giving way is seen as soft, so push on regardless.

I could go on about no punishment, no line drawing, no responsibility, no respect, etc etc but it is Christmas. 

Good will to all and I wish everyone a safe journey, with no hold-ups, seats on trains for everyone, no ice on the roads, no fog, no snow.  The only thing I ask is that you do not get in my ******** way!!!!!!

Offline NZer

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 08:15:20 pm »
I thought there was already road narrowing - caused by all the parked cars!!!  ;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 09:02:36 pm »
The road narrowing would be more effective if the cars parked on the road rather than on the pavement, as is often the case.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 10:53:28 am »
The incident was just past the junction with The Grove as you go towards Mymms, so not on the long straight stretch.

As I understand it, emergency services hate speed bumps. As for chicanes - well, the parked cars were in effect chicanes, and they were just a challenge.

Offline WJT

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 09:30:14 pm »
The response to bad driving is always to place restrictions on speed, introduce bumps, cameras etc. Our roads have seen so much of this over the years. The root cause is BAD DRIVERS and this is something that can only be targeted by the Police, the Courts and the Insurance companies. If it became known that Moffats Lane was a "hot spot" for Police checks then you would have more sensible driving there. If insurance companies shared information with a view to refusing cover more consistently to bad drivers and the Courts came down very heavy on uninsured drivers, we may slowly improve a situation which has been going out of control for many years.
In the meantime I will continue to drive in defensive mode and expect the worst, it all too often happens.

Offline NZer

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 11:57:25 pm »
The incident was just past the junction with The Grove as you go towards Mymms, so not on the long straight stretch.

Greybeard, I believe the accident involving my mother was in a similar place.

Editor's Note: Edited at the request of the author to insert a quote.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 05:58:58 am by David Brewer »

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 09:30:26 pm »
To the driver of the silver Audi TT who approached the chicane in Moffats Lane at great speed this afternoon at about 3.45pm: I wasn't waving to say "hello" but to say "slow down you moron".

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: