Linked Events

• Christmas tree lighting: December 04, 2007
  • Christmas Tree Lighting: November 29, 2008
  • Christmas Tree Lighting: November 28, 2009
  • Christmas Tree Lighting: December 03, 2011
  • Christmas Tree Switch-on: December 01, 2012
  • Christmas Tree Switch-on: November 30, 2013
  • Christmas tree lights on Bradmore Green: November 29, 2014

Author Topic: Christmas tree lights on Bradmore Green  (Read 66600 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Christmas tree lights on Bradmore Green
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2008, 07:36:40 am »
Brookmans Park Rotary has submitted more information about the Brookmans Park christmas tree lighting ceremony, which takes place on Bradmore Green on Saturday 29 November. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2008, 08:04:08 am »
A reminder about the carols around the tree this afternoon.

Bradmore Green in Brookmans Park from 4.30pm. More details here.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2008, 05:29:16 pm »
For those who couldn't make it for the carols, particularly our overseas chums.  The first picture, and the best of the bunch, courtesy of Bob Horrocks.

:)

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:49:01 pm by David Brewer »

LongTallSally

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2008, 09:42:41 am »
We all had a wonderful evening. Many thanks to everyone involved and long may the tradition continue!

Offline AnneK

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2008, 11:57:24 am »
We enjoyed it immensely, too. What a terrific evening. Many thanks to the Rotary Club and everyone else who organised the event.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:24 am »
Had a chat with one of the policemen.  He was a 'Special' from Hatfield i.e. he is unpaid and does maybe one evening or shift a week.  Unlike a PCSO, he has the full powers of a regular policeman and does the same training.  Maybe those who want to do something positive about the bad behaviour etc might like to consider becoming a Special Policeman?  A better idea than a vigilante group, or hiring a security guard for the village.

My thanks also to the Rotary and all the people and businesses etc that made this event possible. 

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2009, 09:30:20 pm »
Thank you to the Rotary Club, Parish Council and anyone else involved for the tree again this year. I was glad to see it made it through without being vandalised (unlike the Garve Goat.. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7801156.stm) - hopefully the tree will appear again next year?
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline JohnR

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2009, 08:56:22 pm »
The switch on of the Brookmans Park Christmas Tree lights will take place on Saturday the 28th of November on Bradmore Green. This is the 6th year that the Brookmans Park Rotary club have organised the annual Christmas tree for the village and we are expecting another good turnout.

Bob Wilson will perform the switch, joined by the Brookmans Park Rotary Club president Michael Jones and the Chairman of the parish council Vivian Weeks. The Potters Bar Town Band will provide the music and all are welcome to join in communal carol singing. Mulled wine, mince pies, hot sausage rolls and hot chocolate kindly donated by local business and the Rotary club will be available

The evening’s proceedings will start at 4.30pm, with Santa arriving on his sleigh at 5.00pm before the lights are switched on at 5.30pm.  All are welcome.

There will be a collection on behalf of the Willow Foundation and other charities supported by Rotary.

Edited to add image and to add event to calendar. David

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:33:38 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2009, 06:36:07 am »
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. I have added the banner you sent me and have linked your event to the site's calendar. (You can do that by using the 'link to calendar' button at the foot of the post.  

David
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:58:55 pm by David Brewer »

John_fraser

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2009, 06:02:30 pm »
Why are we having this in November. Traditionally Christmas events start in October

John_fraser

« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2009, 11:54:18 am »
I assume this will this go ahead even if we have (yet) another soggy weekend.

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2009, 01:42:52 pm »
Why are we having this in November. Traditionally Christmas events start in October

Perhaps because of the recession and it needs to be kept low key. Also, not sure about whether or not it is allowed to have Xmas Trees in Public anymore ? Does anyone know about the laws relating to this currently ?

It seems that you cannot have Xmas parties or send Xmas Cards with "Merry Christmas" on them anymore [but rather Season Greetings]

Has anyone got a definitive answer to what we can do or nor do ?

colinr

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2009, 02:44:34 pm »

Perhaps because of the recession and it needs to be kept low key. Also, not sure about whether or not it is allowed to have Xmas Trees in Public anymore ? Does anyone know about the laws relating to this currently ?

It seems that you cannot have Xmas parties or send Xmas Cards with "Merry Christmas" on them anymore [but rather Season Greetings]

Has anyone got a definitive answer to what we can do or nor do ?

I don't think what you say can be true, if so I found these websites actively flaunting the rules.

http://cards.hallmark.co.uk/Cards/Seasonal/Christmas/For-General/For-Charity/

http://www.officechristmas.co.uk/

Do you think you should contact them and ask them to rethink their brazen ways, you seem to know all the relevant points of the law on this subject.

Thanks for pointing it out to us.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:09:37 pm by colinr »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2009, 02:56:41 pm »
Bradmore Green is owned by the parish council who gave permission for the tree etc again this year, and will help erect the tree and participate in the lights switch-on ceremony.

When the parish council did a local calendar one of the shopkeepers selling them begged to have them in October claiming that there was a demand at that time.  

Offline PS

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2009, 03:00:00 pm »
Do you think you should contact them and ask them to rethink there brazen ways, you seem to know all the relevant points of the law on this subject.

I find your remark quite offensive to say the least, and supposes that I am stirring up a hornets nest. This is not so.

The reason I am asking the question is to get an answer to what appears to a lot of people to be a tricky subject. Many people are confused over what can be done and what cannot. Some say that in a Muslim community, this would "not be allowed" for fear of offence [sorry - PC crops up again !!!] I too am as confused as the rest of us. Some say that you cannot say / send cards anymore that convey the words  "Merry Xmas" - is that true ? I don't know because I am too mean to send Xmas Cards these days.

Colinr - some useful debate on the issue would be welcome - rather than sarcasm.

Thank you

Edited to remove part of the text
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:06:59 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline PS

« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2009, 03:22:04 pm »
Edited to remove part of the text

Bob - please explain why my analogy as to why the Union Jack cannot be raised vis a viz the Xmas Tree was removed from my posting ? It caused absolutely no offence whatsever.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2009, 04:08:10 pm »
Once again PS you are being disingenuous and Bob will have emailed you to explain the reason for his decision.

What you may not realise is that when a post has to be edited or removed, it is placed in the admin area where all 7 moderators and the editor can clearly see it - so we have the evidence in front of us. The phrase removed could certainly have caused offence.

Yet again we must ask you to abide by the rules of the forum, or consider whether another forum would suit you better.

colinr

« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2009, 04:18:04 pm »
I find your remark quite offensive to say the least, and supposes that I am stirring up a hornets nest. This is not so.

“Me thinks you doth protest too much!”

John_fraser

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2009, 05:34:21 pm »
This is a thread about a what has become a very pleasant village tradition. Please keep it on topic. PS, if you feel you have to discuss council jobsworths, please start another topic.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2009, 05:49:35 pm »
[Bob - please explain why my analogy as to why the Union Jack cannot be raised vis a viz the Xmas Tree was removed from my posting ? It caused absolutely no offence whatsever.

It does cause offence and we moderators agree that it was correct to remove your comment.  It was totally inappropriate to try and make the analogy.

Offline PS

« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »
Me thinks you doth protest too much!”

Well...one rule for the incrowd, another for the outcrowd.  ;D

I still haven't had a response to my question e.g. see the attached

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23428076-ba-humbug-jack-straw-lashes-out-at-greetings-cards-for-banishing-happy-christmas.do

A little out of date but the principle is still there - could this not be applied to The Christmas Tree ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2009, 07:28:29 pm »
Hi PS,

What we are talking about here is a nice village tradition. I am an atheist, but I enjoy seeing people gathering around the tree, singing carols (I like the tunes even if I don't go along with the words) and having a nice time. I don't think there is a law stopping people wishing one another a Happy Christmas. If someone says that to me I don't take offence; I just think they are being nice. The spirit of Christmas for me is making a special effort and trying to be less of a grump than usual.

David

Offline PS

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2009, 05:25:13 am »
The spirit of Christmas for me is making a special effort and trying to be less of a grump than usual.

I agree with you - I just hope that somewhere along the line that the majority of indigenous Christian religious Brits [whose numbers appear to be declining in numbers compared to other religions] are not going to be prevented from celebrating this kind of tradition. However, the way things are going ...... :o its probably just a matter of time.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2009, 07:38:33 am »
PS,

I am sure it will be fine.

We could spend hours examining what makes up what you describe as "the majority of indigenous Christian religious Brits", (I am not an historian, but this appears to be a conflicting pick-and-mix of important historical events), but let's not go there because it will send this thread about a local community event spinning off-topic.

(Happy to continue the discussion with you off-line using the site's personal message function).

However if, as I think you mean, you are concerned about locals residents who are Christian (and all others in our community) being able to sing carols around the Christmas Tree in Bradmore Green next week, and having Santa turn up on his sleigh and delight the kids, then I am sure we are all going to be fine, despite the rapidly-changing demographic of this and many other countries.

David (a scouser with Anglo-saxon, Celtic, Gallic and probably Viking blood)

Offline southbury

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2009, 09:21:43 am »
please everyone ..

stop indulging him .. as John so accurately pointed out  this is a thread about the Rotary Club Christmas Tree and the chance for friends and neighbours to say hello and have a chat and for the children to start getting excited about the holidays , Chrimbo etc.

It's one of the many things that makes BP a great place to live .. the fact that we are lucky enough to still live in a community where you can go to the Village Green and bump into a dozen or more people and families that you know.

This is about fun , enjoyment and community.

John_fraser

« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2009, 04:02:49 pm »
It looks like it will be dry for the tree lighting tonight. See you all there.

Offline PS

« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2009, 05:05:38 pm »
Do have a nice evening all of you - I hope it goes well.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2009, 09:11:52 pm »
Another excellent effort by the Rotary Club.

The weather was dry, not too cold and the catering was up to it's usual high standard. Bob Wilson made an excellent speech and hopefully the Willow Foundation will further benefit from this.

It was great to see a cheque from the PTA presented to Willow, my daughter was one of the many children who worked hard to raise such a large sum of money.

Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation of the event, it's things like this that really make BP such a great community.

Offline marty.c

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2009, 02:48:31 pm »
Brookmans Park Rotary Club would like to thank everyone who came along and supported what has now become traditional community event. We were very lucky with the weather although the clear-up afterwards was a little damp. The collection for the Willow Foundation looks as if it could pass the £900 mark. This is a really fantastic result and I know that Bob and Megs Wilson will be very grateful for everyone's generosity.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2009, 11:51:05 am »
Did any one take photos to add to this website?

Tags: