Author Topic: Illegal use of address  (Read 9956 times)

Offline Hillside

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Illegal use of address
« on: November 13, 2006, 10:14:51 am »
Can anybody please advise me?
I purchased my property over three years ago but the previous owner continues to use the address to set up accounts and get credit.  They then do not pay and I spend my time answering the door to bailiffs !.. At one point they had the post re-directed to an unknown address so I was unaware of all these bills. I have tried to stop the redirection with Royal Mail but they said contact the police..when I contacted the police they said it was a civil matter and could not get involved.  These people as recently as last week obtained the services of a professional and had the bill sent to me...

Does anybody know where I can get help to stop this????

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Illegal use of address
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:41:50 am »
Probably worth getting a credit check with Experian or someone similar to see what's registered against the address, I'm pretty sure you can demand that any incorrect information is corrected.

I think you can do all this online and only costs a few pounds. http://www.experian.co.uk/ although I think there are others too. As far as I know all credit agencies cross reference their data so it's only necessary to do this with one agency.

Also make sure the information for your address is correct on the electoral roll.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 10:43:29 am by sasquartch »

John_fraser

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:10:04 am »
I think you need professional advice. Start with the Citizens Advice Bureau - there's one on Queensway in Hatfield (01707 262607). You may need to get the services of a solicitor, but the CAB should be able to point you in the right direction.

Editor's Note: Edited only to correct phone number.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:31:23 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:19:46 am »

I fully agree with John's suggestion.  If I could add a few further thoughts.

About the Electoral Roll, if you have instructed Welwyn Hatfield Council not to include your name on the publically available list of electors, you might now wish to change your mind.  

There are two lists, being the full and confidential list which is only used by the council for voting purposes, and an abridged version omitting anyone who instructed their name not to appear on it.  The abridged version is what the credit agencies have to use.

I believe that you can get some sort of message on the credit agency records to say that you have no connection with XXX and that XXX does not live at your address.  This should prevent your credit rating being affected by this person.

You could 'Google' 'credit reference agencies' or similar to get the names and addresses of these companies.  There are two main ones but others may show up on that search.  Contact them all to ensure they have a note of your problem.  

You might also contact Royal Mail about the re-directed mail problem.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 11:21:45 am by Bob Horrocks »

Offline supersonic

• Opinions on many things
  • Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 01:36:20 pm »
It sounds as if what the previous owner is doing may be fradulent.

Perhaps Jo, our local Police Officer, can assist?

supersonic

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 02:49:16 pm »

What a rotten thing to happen, you have my sympathy!

Go to www.identitytheft.org.uk  this is the Home Office site and is the result of collaboration between UK financial bodies, the Government and the Police. This should have everything you need to point you in the right direction. They have links through to Experian and Equifax and other useful bodies.

Good luck!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 05:30:30 pm »
Another thought - since it is the previous owner of the house who is causing the problem, it is not identity theft.

How about asking your solicitor who did your conveyancing to contact the seller's solicitor?

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:57:05 pm »
What a good idea.   The solicitor should certainly know the whereabouts of the previous owner.

Offline Hillside

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 07:13:31 pm »
Many thanks to you all for your varied advice..I think my next port of call may be the CAB as I have already contacted Royal Mail and the Police...to no avail !.....I don't believe "they" left a forwarding address with their Solicitor either...indeed a local estate agent was unsure if even they would receive their commission!! Might I add just to show the calibre of these people that they put their dog into kennells for the "move" and went off and left it there...we got letters requesting that it be picked up or it would be destroyed...they put him there for 2 weeks and the cheque bounced !

Thank you again, I shall let you know how I fare out !

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 08:11:43 pm »
Good luck with it all - it sounds a nightmare

Pity you can't name and shame them on here

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:32:43 pm »
Hi John,

I've corrected the phone number (the one posted was the fax) . The number below is the correct number.

I think you need professional advice. Start with the Citizens Advice Bureau - there's one on Queensway in Hatfield (01707 262607). You may need to get the services of a solicitor, but the CAB should be able to point you in the right direction.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Greybeard

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 07:26:10 am »
These people as recently as last week obtained the services of a professional and had the bill sent to me...

Can any of the duped people find the perpetrator and be persuaded to prosecute? - This surely theft, or obtaining services/goods by deception.

I'd certainly contact the three credit reference agencies mentioned on the identitytheft site to get a warning put against the address - this type of fraud must be familiar to them.

It's not that your identity is being stolen, it's that the person is clinging on to what is now your address.

A belated welcome to the neighbourhood, by the way.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:27:49 am by greybeard »

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 08:00:22 am »
Hillside,

I have contacted you off board with some info that may help - the story about the dog confirmed to me who you are.

I would willingly have posted info on the site but it would have been deleted.

Neville
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 08:05:58 am by Neville Hobbs »

John_fraser

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 09:30:16 am »
I've corrected the phone number (the one posted was the fax)

I thought they just had really poor taste in choosing their on hold music :)

Offline Hillside

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 05:28:33 pm »
I have had 3 private emails for which I thank you...for some reason I am unable to reply through  the link but if I get it sorted I shall reply to you personally.

Neville...might I just say thank you to you now for the information...it has proved very useful !

Offline Govvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 08:47:49 pm »
Not nice, and if Royal Mail is redirecting your mail without your permission. They are breaching your own personal security and exchanging in a fraudulent act. I believe you can actually sue them!

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 11:07:49 pm »
I have had 3 private emails for which I thank you...for some reason I am unable to reply through  the link but if I get it sorted I shall reply to you personally.

Once you have made 5 posts then you will be able to send private mail, done to prevent spamming  ;)
Bob

Offline Hillside

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 01:46:42 pm »
Thanks Bob...I shall try and get more active with my posts !!!     ;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 02:09:02 pm »
Thanks Bob...I shall try and get more active with my posts !!!     ;D

Thanks for your understanding, Hillside.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Tags: