Author Topic: RVC parking in Hawkshead Lane  (Read 52910 times)

Offline peppermint

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: RVC parking in Hawkshead Lane
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 07:57:48 pm »
I dont have a problem with cars being parked on the road outside the college.   I think that it only causes a back up of traffic when cars are parked intermittently on both sides of the road causing cars to have to slalom between them.

The real problem is Osborne Road in Little Heath which is bad in the morning at the best of times but is particularly bad at the moment with the roadworks  in Quakers Lane.   

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2006, 05:43:40 am »
Very interesting and thanks Rhian. good to hear compromises still being made. I think parking on one side only may well help a lot. Still concerned about the comment made below that next year no students will be allowed to park at the college.

Blow

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2006, 04:53:55 pm »
I can understand the frustration trying to get past them.  But what about the residents of Brookmans Park who have drives but stil park on the verge/pavement.  Worst offenders in Bluebridge Road, blue saab, porsche boxster and other cars parked on the verge facing the wrong way!!!!!!

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 05:28:13 pm »

Well, clearly a handful of residents in BB Road are parking their vehicles on the verges so as to allow the speeding traffic to continue unhindered! Heaven forbid that any cars should be held up!

I wish that they would park their vehicles on the road, thus making the road less of a racetrack

Let's hope the next Police Patrol have a quiet word with the offenders.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2006, 06:04:40 pm »
Yes on Thursday someone had parked on the vege on the bend at the top of the hill, facing the wrong way!!!ahhhh!

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2006, 07:13:28 pm »
As someone who drives down Hawkshead Lane every morning on the way to work the biggest problem as I see it is the fact that the entrance to the road from Hawkshead Road is often flooded and impassable for days at a time.

This means anyone coming from the direction of Little Heath has to slow to almost a stop and make a very sharp left turn on a blind bend just to get onto Hawkshead Lane.

A lot of money has obviously been spent at the Swanland Road end of Hawkshead Lane sorting out the drainage but the other end of the road seems to have been completely ignored.

Is there any chance that Herts Highways could have a look at this problem before the inevitable accident occurrs?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 10:43:02 am »
It took many years for Herts Highways to finally agree to hopefully cure the flooding under the railway briodge at Darkes Lane. 

You can drive slowly through the Hawkshead Lane water but there will always be someone in a hurry who goes too fast and flods the engine.

I will raise this at the next Parish Council meeting so that a letter can go to Herts Highways.

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 01:34:17 pm »
It took many years for Herts Highways to finally agree to hopefully cure the flooding under the railway briodge at Darkes Lane. 

You can drive slowly through the Hawkshead Lane water but there will always be someone in a hurry who goes too fast and flods the engine.

I will raise this at the next Parish Council meeting so that a letter can go to Herts Highways.

Recent weeks would suggest that they still havent cured the problem under the railway bridge in Potters Bar Bob. That part of Darkes Lane has been closed at least three times in the last fortnight due to flooding ::)

As for the Hawkshead Road water it still reaches above the door sills on my car (which isnt particularly low to the ground) so driving through it, however slowly, is not an option for me.

I do appreciate you bringing this to the attention of Herts Highways though, hopefully they will act on it.

John_fraser

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 01:38:08 pm »
A new pump is supposed to be being placed under the bridge.

Hopes of end to bridge flooding ‘paralysis’

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2006, 11:38:50 am »
John is correct - the newspaper item said the pump is to be installed to deal with flooding under the Darkes Lane bridge.

A tip is to drive in the middle of the road when it is flooded.  The camber of the road surface means it is higher there than at the side of the road. 

But if in doubt, don't risk it.  I know of a car being written off when someone (who obviously shall remain nameless) drove too fast into a flood on Hawkshead Lane at the humpback bridge and flooded the engine.  Admittedly it was dark and early one winter morning, but........  The recently installed drainage system at that point seems to have stopped the flooding as far as I can tell.  Anyone been down there when it has been raining heavily and is able to report on it?

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2006, 01:26:33 pm »
The recently installed drainage system at that point seems to have stopped the flooding as far as I can tell.  Anyone been down there when it has been raining heavily and is able to report on it?

The flooding problem at the humpback bridge end of Hawkshead Lane is certainally much better now, I drove through there during what could only be described as a 'monsoon' a couple of weeks ago with no probelms ;D

As I've said the main problem now is at the other end of the road, although avoiding the fallen tree in Bradmore Lane on Monday morning was interesting as well.........

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2006, 05:55:50 pm »
Further to my above posting, Herts Highways say that by February 2007, the gullies at the junction of Hawkshead Lane and Bluebridge Road will be cleansed and the outfall pipes jetted through.    Further drainange work in Hawkshead Lane may be carried out in 2008/9. depending upon availability of funds for tghis work.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 05:03:43 pm »
Further to the Neighbourhood Watch newsletter that has just been posted on this website, I drove twice along Hawkshead Lane this afternoon and there were very few cars parked on the road and none on the verge.

Good news ;D

Offline Carrie

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 02:03:50 pm »
This must be a one off incident Bob.  My partner drives to RVC every day, 3x a day (in the shuttle coach, run by South Mimms Travel) and it is becoming increasingly difficult for 2 cars (let along one coach and car, or even an ambulance etc) to pass each other.  Last week there were cars everywhere. 

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 10:01:20 am »
I have noticed that Hawkshead Lane has been virtually  clear of traffic this week.   What a relief.

Bob, where can I find the Neighbourhood Watch newsletter you referred to in your post.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 10:50:00 am »

Bob, where can I find the Neighbourhood Watch newsletter you referred to in your post.

Hi Peppermint,

They are archived in the Neighbourhood Watch section of the site, accessible from the link in the top navigation on the front page, or from the side navigation link on any other page.

Click here for the latest edition.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Custard

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 11:25:49 am »
With the application for parking opposite the college is this the start of a bigger project to link Swanland Rd to the Hawkshead Lane to solve the traffic issues?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 02:46:36 pm »
Planning application 2008/0317 was made on 18th Feb 2008 by the RVC for

'MODIFICATION TO THE MAIN ENTRANCE CAR PARK AND NEW PARKING TO ADJACENT AREA,
FORMATION OF CAR PARK BETWEEN ODIHAM HALL AND NORTHUMBERLAND HALL,
FORMATION OF CAR PARK TO THE EXISTING SPORTS FIELD AND
FORMATION OF CAR PARK TO GRASSED AREA'

The plans are not yet on the www.welhat.gov.uk website but should be in the next few days.

Not having seen any plans or supporting documents yet, it is too early to make any comment on Custard's query.  Addition car parking off the road is obviously desirable given the on-road parking problems of late.  Since it is Green Belt land, the RVC will have had to show very special circumstances to justify this change of use of the land.

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2008, 03:28:07 pm »
Does anyone know where all the usual traffic from the RVC has parked this week.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2008, 02:35:15 pm »
The RVC have now deleted the proposed car park on the south side of Hawkshead Lane (on the sports field) from their latest planning application for more car parks.

The NM Green Belt Soc objected to that car park, and suggested extending the car park in front of the Queen Mother Hospital into the field between that building and the railway line.

Offline mickeyl

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2008, 07:08:18 am »
BP Forum members may be interested in a similar thread on the Welwyn Hatfield Forum web-site

http://www.shapps.com/forum/index.php?topic=2802.msg27255#msg27255

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2008, 10:51:20 am »
Last week I met Richard Turner who is the newly appointed environmental manager at the RVC.  We had a good discussion and walked the area to see the problems and possibilities relating to parking and student travel.

I am told that Welwyn Hatfield Council would not consider a car park alongside Hawkshead Lane in the field between the Queen Mother Hospital and the railway line.  As a local resident, it seems sensible to extend the new car park in front of the QM Hospital into that field.  Why were WH Council unhappy? Because it is outside the boundary of this Major Developed Site (MDS) in the Green Belt.  However the planning officers seemed happy to consider a car park on the side of the sports field on the south side of Hawkshead lane.  What is curious is that location is also outside the boundary of the MDS. 

I represent North Mymms Parish Council on a local environmental action group.  This group is in the early stages of seeing if a footpath and cycle path can be created to run alongside the road between the main RVC campus on Hawkshead Lane and their other buildings at Bolton's Farm on Hawkshead Road.  It would be on Highways land and RVC land.   It would not be cheap but the initial response from the RVC is encouraging.  This action group is investigating various sources of funds.  I repeat that it is early days so don't expect to hear anything more for the time being

Offline Jane B

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2009, 02:00:27 pm »
I may have missed this in previous posts & apologies if I have but.......I don't suppose anyone knows when the grass verges are going to be sorted out in Hawkshead Lane outside the RVC? Sorry if this is a stupid question but when we first moved here it used to be a really picturesque area - now it looks like a war zone!  :(

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2009, 04:38:58 pm »
Jane B's new 'Hawklshead Lane' topic has been merged with this existing one of parking on Hawkshead Lane since they are very closely related.

She is quite right about the appearance of the verge but there is not much point in sorting this out until the parking problem is resolved.  I believe the RVC is to meet Welwyn Hatfield Council soon about various matters including this one.  Until there is more off-street parking at the RVC then the verge will continue to be used for parking.  The police say they keep an eye on the problem but it appears to be low priority.

Offline Mr Green

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Teacher
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2009, 06:12:58 pm »
The police say they keep an eye on the problem ...
You can’t miss it, we are all keeping an eye on it every time we run the gauntlet of driving down the Hawkshead chicane.

... but it appears to be low priority.
Prefixing priority by the word low is a contradiction of terms.

When will Herts police tell us, specifically, what they're doing about it.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2009, 06:31:03 pm »
 Prefixing priority by the word low is a contradiction of terms.   [/quote]

It might sound like an oxymoron, however things can be ranked in priority ranging from high to low.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2009, 07:37:54 pm »
  The police say they keep an eye on the problem but it appears to be low priority.

In what way do they 'keep an eye' exactly? I have had some truly hairy moments down that road recently due to the appalling parking -  cars parked on BOTH SIDES of the road in places. I have never seen the police down there, or any evidence that they've been.

Also, is there no weight limit on the bridge any more? I was in a line of cars today (down near Catalina Field) which had to drive up onto people's driveways, because the oncoming lorry was so large, it took up all the road!    >:(

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2009, 09:53:10 pm »
The driver was probably sent that way by his sat nav.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 10:34:47 am »
Also, is there no weight limit on the bridge any more?

The road has a weight limit presumably because of the bridge but I recall being told some time ago that there is a huge margin built into the limit.  Peppermint will be correct about it being a satnav devotee who believes everything a computer says, and not use the brains he/she was born with.  A problem is that drivers of huge vehicles know you will give way to them.

Offline rees

• Opinions on a couple of things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 11:41:29 am »
The parking of RVC student's cars in Hawkshead Lane is truly dreadful! It ruins the grass verges, endangers pedestrians, creates hazards for oyther divers and must be having an enormous impact on the value of properties in the area. How is it possible that the RVC obtained planning permission for their expansion without providing an "on site" solution for parking? Additionally am I not right in recalling that the council has in the past prosecuted drivers for parking on and damaging grass verges ? If so why is no action being taken? Together with the parking problems in Brookmans Park Village it would seem to me that the "planners" have alot to answer for!

Tags: