Author Topic: Computer phone scam, beware.  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Spurs fan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Computer phone scam, beware.
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:45:37 pm »
Just wanted to warn people about an attempted scam that I was on the receiving end of today.
A foreign sounding man, who called himself 'John Wilton' said he was ringing to sort out my computer problems. As I don't have any I was a bit suspicious! So I started asking questions, and got from him that it was apparently a windows based problem, reported via the button on an error page. I asked what error message and he was vague, and said something about a yellow triangle! I also asked when these occurred and he said in the last 10 days, with the latest one on 18/19th. As there is only one windows based computer in the house, and the owner is away, and has therefore not used it in the past 7 days, it was obviously a scam. The caller couldn't give me a phone number and was very keen for me to check the validity of his company at www.supportonpc.com which of course I didn't! He had previously said that he would cure the (non existent) problem by remotely controlling my pc, and was still trying to get me onto my pc, which I had told him was a Mac, when I terminated the call. Even then, they rang back later asking why I had turned my pc off when they were working on it!
So beware if you get a call like this. I'm sure they would catch out some unsuspecting people and gain their personal details.

colinr

Re: Computer phone scam, beware.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:12:09 pm »
I got a similar call last week, he knew my name, and also said he was calling about the computer problems I was having.

I asked him which operating system was I using if he was so cleaver , he of course had no idea, I then asked him is it a Mac or PC.

Again he couldn't tell me, and when he asked me to confirm my personal detail.

I hid behind the Data Protection Act, and told him sorry can't give you that info, funny because he then hung up.

What a wally, I should have put him touch with my other mate who keeps telling me I have inherited $1 million, you know, that bloke from Nigeria :icon_jokercolor:

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:21:26 pm »
Yeah and they could share details with the people who have fantastic investment opportunities!

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »
I had one of these calls yesterday from a woman telling me I had problems with my computer.    ???  Tried to keep her talking to waste her time!  :mblah05: but then got a bit annoyed about it all and told her not to ring me again as I was registered with TPS.  She told me I obviously didn't know anything about computers!

Did 1471 afterwards and the number came up as 07813 821920

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »
I had one of these calls yesterday from a woman telling me I had problems with my computer.    ???  Tried to keep her talking to waste her time!  :mblah05: but then got a bit annoyed about it all and told her not to ring me again as I was registered with TPS.  She told me I obviously didn't know anything about computers!

Did 1471 afterwards and the number came up as 07813 821920

The number was withheld in my case. As a matter of interest, was your woman foreign sounding too?

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »

The number was withheld in my case. As a matter of interest, was your woman foreign sounding too?

She certainly was!  :icon_jokercolor:

The numbers are usually withheld but I always check

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:50:14 pm »

[/quote]

She certainly was!  :icon_jokercolor:

The numbers are usually withheld but I always check
[/quote]

Me too! Seems like these people are getting around a bit!

Offline Grumpy Old Roy

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:45:17 am »

Us Arsenal fans do not get these scam calls, they must know we are too smart for them, (or too poor)

GOR

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:36:43 am »

Us Arsenal fans do not get these scam calls, they must know we are too smart for them, (or too poor)

GOR

Or maybe the scammers are gooners too? ;-)  >:D

Tags: