Author Topic: Serious spamming issue  (Read 8727 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Serious spamming issue
« on: September 09, 2006, 09:48:04 am »
Apologies to all forum members

This site would like to apologies to all forum members for a spamming incident which occured in the early hours of Saturday 9 September and which resulted in offensive adult material being sent via instant message to every member.

We are doing all we can to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, the forum will remain closed.

More details
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Serious spamming issue
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 05:22:19 pm »
A number of new security measures have been introduced in order to try to prevent another spam attack on the Brookmans Park Community Forum. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline stevea

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 08:44:29 am »
Great to see that the forum is back! I live in Australia and this site provides me with all the local news over there. Its a very good website and I wouldn't worry too much about the spammer. Its very simple to use the delete button.

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 09:47:53 am »
Great forum, keep it going, can't let the odd 'odd bod' stop a great thing.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 08:53:01 pm »
A couple of people have mailed the feedback section of the site asking for their details to be removed from the forum, but without leaving their usernames.

Could those people please use the feedback form to say which account they want deleted.

Thanks

David

John_fraser

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:29:50 pm »
Have we lost the ability to post pictures? I don't seem to have the option to upload one any more.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 10:36:49 pm »
Have we lost the ability to post pictures? I don't seem to have the option to upload one any more.

Yes, sorry John. I should have posted about it or added it to the news item. I felt it risky, in light of the recent spamming incident and the posting of six forum messages containing indecent images, to enable images to be uploaded to the site.

I was concerned that people who trust this site would log on and be confronted with offensive material. There are enough sites offering that sort of stuff.

Since the spam attack we have introduced an approval process for new members we have had three requests to join the forum by known spammers. All came in during the early hours of the morning.

David
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 10:45:54 pm by David Brewer »

John_fraser

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:37:27 pm »
Put that way it seems a very sensible precaution. I hate to think of the sort of image that could deface the site.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 09:59:59 am »

Well done David for repelling unwanted invaders!  ;D

BTW I would like to thank 'Gestapo' for alerting me to the images on the site. His early warning meant that I was able to delete them before too many people saw them on the front page of the Forum.

Much appreciated Gestapo!

Mermaid

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 10:23:35 am »
It might be a good idea to have the names of Moderators on the front page, in order that we can know who to alert if necessary.

Also, to know who is able to delete from the classified section as I've often spotted the 'spam' on there and I think it's only David who has the power but I'm not sure

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 10:34:51 am »
Hi Cassie,

Good idea. Not sure where to put that info, but will give it some thought.

The moderators are John Fraser, Mermaid, Bob Horrocks, Sasquartch, James Bentall, Max, Bob, Sub Editor (Bernard), Ferdie and me (David Brewer).

There are three admin people who can change edit/delete adverts and what's ons. They are James, Bernard and me.

We hope to relaunch the site this autumn/winter with loads of new features which should make all of this easier. It's just finding the time to do it.

:)

David

« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 10:36:54 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 08:27:27 pm »
Update

Since introducing a number of new security measures, including confirmation of new members, we have prevented around a dozen spammers from joining the forum and posting.

Most have tried to join in the early hours of the morning. IP address checks have revealed attempts to join the forum from spammers in Texas, North Korea, Russia and Vietnam.

Thanks to all the recent genuine new members who have been so understanding about the delay in confirming their membership. Although a bit of a pain for you, I think it's been worth it in terms of trying to keep the spammers away.

Thanks again

David
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 09:51:57 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 09:01:37 pm »

Well done David and the 'Techie Team'!!   :D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 07:51:13 am »
Well done to you Mermaid for clearing up the damage last time the spammers hit town.

;)

David

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 08:59:13 pm »
David

I missed all this as I was on leave with a definite disinclination to look at a PC.  Though my brother did tell me what was going on.    At least I knew not to bother to open the naughty messages.

With the new security measures, how can we get a instant message to someone without the required number of posts.  I do not think I have them (I would have done if I hadn't resigned and rejoined).   I sent a message to someone recently, before I realised there was a restriction, and nothing came back at me to say that I could not send messages.

No great urgency in this, as I can always find another way to get the message through.

Cheers
Mary

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 09:13:21 pm »
Hi Mary,

You are okay, you can send messages. I have reduced the restriction. Anyone with five posts can use the IM. This will stop spammers who just sign up to spam using the IM.  Anyyone who has posted five sensible posts is unlikely to be a spammer.

David
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:22:53 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 07:09:06 am »
Spamming Update

We have managed to filter out 36 known spammers in the two months since the spamming incident.

Unfortunately this has led to delays in genuine members signing up and posting, but thanks to everyone for their understanding and patience, it's been worth it.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 12:06:02 pm »
Dear all,

Apologies if anyone stumbled across offensive images posted in the last hour. A spammer slipped throught the net. The user has since been banned and their account deleted. Again, apologies if you read the post before I got round to deleting it.

David

Offline PS

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 12:50:28 pm »
Just so long as you don't think its me !!! ;D

Offline Grumpy Old Roy

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 03:03:58 pm »

Well done to all the team, but wasn’t me guv, honest.

Thanks

GOR

Tags: