Author Topic: Potters Bar Olympics  (Read 3318 times)

Offline ChessMan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
    • LH and BP Chess Club
Potters Bar Olympics
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:00:55 pm »
I haven't seen any comments in respect of the Potters Bar Olympics that are taking place on Bank Holiday Monday mainly at Mount Grace School. There are brief details of the events on the chess club site www.littleheathchess.co.uk. If anyone would like to join our team please let me know asap.

Offline ChessMan

• Forum Member
    • LH and BP Chess Club
Re: Potters Bar Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 10:57:22 pm »
The Chess Club took fourth place with gold in the chess (!) and netball shooting, silver in rowing, table tennis and badminton and bronze in swimming, darts, crossbar challenge and 1/4 marathon. Many of the events required mixed teams.

A terrific performance that might surprise people who think chess players are a sedentary lot! Two of the teams ahead of us were sports clubs.

This was a good event that deserved more support from the local community - hopefully it will be there next year.

Full report on www.littleheathchess.co.uk.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:15:23 pm »
As someone who considers himself as fairly involved in the local community (what with helping to edit a popular community website and all that) the first mention I heard of these 'olympics' was your post a few days ago - would it be possible to ask the organiser(s) for a bit more publicity next year?

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline speedwell

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:50:05 pm »
FYI this event has been mentioned in the community news; local papers and flyers have been left at Furzefield sports centre and I have also seen flyers in doctors surgerys, pubs and the library.  I also believe it appeared on the potters bar website.

Offline ChessMan

• Forum Member
    • LH and BP Chess Club
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 09:48:48 am »
James and Speedwell are both correct in many respects. There was coverage in many places but not perhaps in the most obvious places. Banners and the like would have made a big difference.

Bizarrely, the fact that much of the event took place at Mount Grace didn't help because a very tall hedge meant it wasn't easily visible from the road!

I'm sure the organisers (and in particular Neville Collman who did an amazing job) will take on board all the lessons from this year for the junior and senior events planned for next May.

Tags: