Author Topic: Brookmans Park station vandalism  (Read 13958 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Brookmans Park station vandalism
« on: August 19, 2006, 08:17:30 am »
Vandals have again wrecked the ticket machine at Brookmans Park Station.

The cash and credit card payment facilities have been smashed and an automated message advises people to buy tickets elsewhere.

Click here for more details.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 09:07:56 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Brookmans Park station vandalism
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:21:14 pm »
Sadly I doubt CCTV will make any difference. The response from the Police and or security firm can never be fast enough. The culprits will no doubt have on their hoodies and will be unrecognisable and will have long since cycled or run off. Besides, even if they were caught they'd probably be too young for any effective punishment or it will be against their human right of self expression!  ::). Don't wish to be negative, just realistic!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 10:56:03 pm »
Not so sure Ferdie. CCTV can act as a deterrant. The other advantage it does have is even if people still do vandalise it is then possible to accurately pinpoint exactly what time the act took place, which means it may be able to work out who it is from other people who were in the area at the time and may have seen people around the station area.
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 07:17:16 am »
Hi James,

Also not so sure...
CCTV can act as a deterrant.
all CCTV does is shift the problem elsewhere, (& provide footage for 'Police Camera Action' TV and the like). Until parents are held accountable for their children's actions and society tackles the whole issue of why some consider it acceptable to smash up a ticket vending machine, then we won't get very far. But I guess that will probably not happen in our lifetimes.

Quoting 'The Times' August 2005, "It is estimated that the UK now has more than seven million CCTV cameras, including at least 500,000 in London. A recent report suggested that a Londoner on average might expect to be captured on CCTV more than 300 times each day". I haven't seen a dramatic reduction in vandalism and anti social behaviour recently.

Also last year our Government released a study by the University of Leicester "which found that CCTV surveillance in public spaces did not significantly reduce crime".

Of course all that assumes that they work at the crucial time. A report into the tragic death of Diana, Princess of Wales showed that crucial evidence on the crash was not available because officials claimed all the cameras failed to work that night. Yet, one motorist received a speeding ticket after being captured on a camera at the entrance to the Alma Tunnel 15 minutes before the crash. It depends on who wants what from CCTV. If there's money to be made!....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 07:55:27 am by ferdie »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 09:14:39 am »
They guy in the ticket office at the station says First Capital Connect is going to put a new front on the ticket machine and that they are going to install CCTV - although he didn't know the timescale.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Max

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:22:05 am »
all CCTV does is shift the problem elsewhere, (& provide footage for 'Police Camera Action' TV and the like). Until parents are held accountable for their children's actions and society tackles the whole issue of why some consider it acceptable to smash up a ticket vending machine, then we won't get very far. But I guess that will probably not happen in our lifetimes. [/i]".

Well, that would seem to be making assumptions about the people responsible for the vandalism that cannot be proven. I would think it perfectly possible that those responsible were not children. A radical solution might be to employ people to man the ticket office at the station until the last train has arrived, as I believe used to happen in the past.

Another would be to do something that I have long advocated, which is to re-design the station such that the ticket office is on the other side of the railway, by the car park. Not only would this more visible location reduce the likeliehood of vandalism, but it would make the station safer (I have often thought that I would not enjoy walking back to the village from the station late at night if I were a woman on my own!) and would have the added benefit that someone wishing to drop off a passenger with luggage would be able to do so right outside the ticket office. The present arrangement means that you either have to stop on a dangerous blind corner to let your passenger out, or the said passenger, carrying his/her luggage, has to walk over one bridge, down a long path, and back over another bridge, something that has always struck me as ridiculous.

My 84 year old mother, although fit for her age, now on longer uses the railway, simply because crossing one bridge and then walking up the steep path from the ticket office in order to cross back again over the other bridge has become too much for her, so it seems that my suggestion would also benefit the elderly, disabled, persons with young childern etc. etc.

I have always been of the opinion that those who designed Brookmans Park station did not know which side of the railway the village was on!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 03:27:39 pm »
I wrote FCC a letter about the lack of ticketing machines at the station and got this as a reply

"I forwarded your enquiry on to the area station manager responsible for Brookmans Park and they advised me that the machine was taken away beacuse it's been repeatedly vandalised. We have spent around 15k fixing it since First Capital Connect took over the franchise.

Due to the risk of further vandalism the ticket machine will not be replaced until station security improvements have been made. I am able to confirm that the CCTV improvements at Brookmans Park are scheduled to be completed by June 2008."

9 months to go then...

James
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:28:54 pm by James Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 11:28:19 am »
On a related note, I recently met with FCC and Network Rail and they tell me that there are plans afoot to improve security in the station Car Park at Brookmans Park. This sounds like the addition of CCTV in the Car Park and I wonder whether longer term this means introducing charging for parking there, though they did confirm this wasn't on the cards short term.

Grant.
---
Visit the Welwyn Hatfield Forum at http://www.shapps.com/forum

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 01:35:49 pm »
..This sounds like the addition of CCTV in the Car Park and I wonder whether longer term this means introducing charging for parking there, though they did confirm this wasn't on the cards short term.

Well...it could be like Welham Green station where they've introduced a parking charge machine, no notice of costs, no CCTV, no patrols and you still get your car vandalised by kids but you now have the prividge of paying for it.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 04:22:22 pm »
Vandals have broken into the Brookmans Park Station ticket machine again. There are no permits to travel either.

Offline JLC

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 05:10:16 pm »
Vandals have broken into the Brookmans Park Station ticket machine again. ....

And the Welham Green one!

Offline Gestapo

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:56:59 pm »
Ah the wonderful new machines, supposed to be superior than the last machines.

Yet they are awful to use and seem to be getting broken into more often.

And with FCC cutting back on staff it'll be down to pursuading a ticket inspector not to give out a penalty fine.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 08:08:21 pm »
Apparently they still work with credit cards.

Offline awill

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25:20 am »
When I caught the 913am this morning contractors were busy on the platform replacing various smashed panels in the shelters. I am not sure when this latest damage happened but I was returning home late last Wednesday and as I arrived at BP on the northbound train, a southbound train was just pulling in. There was 15-20 youths on the southbound platform making a fair amount of noise. Interestingly the driver initially refused to open the doors but then thought better of it after they started banging on the doors and they all piled on. Not sure where they had been or where they were going..and I have no evidence to suggest they were the ones who damaged the shelters, which I think happened a while ago. I also counted 10 cars in the station car park this morning which has to be a new record...

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 01:22:56 pm »
This morning i noticed new graffitti on the WG train shelter on the Southbound platform from the 'Welham Green Masive'. Helpfully enough these young vandals also wrote their FULL names on the shelter so if any police would like to follow up this lead....... ;D

Offline Angel

• Forum Moderator
  • Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 08:40:44 pm »
I presume the ticket machine may have been tampered with as I noticed it had police tape around it this evening

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 09:48:51 pm »
I wonder how much it costs to fix this each year?

Offline awill

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 10:26:08 am »
I don't catch the train very often but I noticed this morning (catching the 828) that the ticket machine at Brookmans Park has been heavily vandalised (crow bar?) and was out of action. Suspect they will need a new one or at least serious refurbishment. To make life even more complicated, the ticket office was closed.

Offline Zdecemt

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 04:39:45 pm »
The uses of CCTV aren't quite as Black and white as "If they're in a hoodie it doesn't work". With CCTV it is possible to detect if the people attacking the machine are the same vandals or different ones - as if they are the same (height, clothing, build) then a pattern of days and tiems can be found in order to predict when they're next attack will be. Furthermore the problem with the machine is less about CCTV and more about the fact that the machine should be built to withstand such attacks and if it was built cleverly - any attack on the machine would trigger an alarm, call the police and/or create a flash of light the would allow the suspects to be identified on CCTV.

I was under the impression there was already a CCTV camera by the machine - but there should definatly be some new casing around the side of the machine to prevent the cash/coin slot from being removable - even if this casing is only applied at night.

Tags: