Author Topic: Clothing collections  (Read 22182 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Clothing collections
« on: August 10, 2006, 12:34:17 pm »
A leaflet and plastic sack was put through my letterbox today from the ‘International Children Support’, asking for unwanted clean clothing etc.  There is no registered charity number quoted and a search on Google failed to find this organisation.

It makes me wonder who they are.  I will ignore the incorrect English of the name since that is unfortunately all too common today.  Needless to say I will not be donating anything to this unknown organisation.

Offline Cassie

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Clothing collections
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 12:57:10 pm »
What a coincidence as I was just about to post on the same subject!!

I just looked up Seabeach Ltd and Orellana Ltd on google and it seems both are profit making organisations.

Can't anything be done to stop these leaflets being delivered in the first place ???

Some quite interesting information here

Offline daisy

• Opinions on some things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:01:49 pm »
We have received a few similar leaflets haven't we? All say they will collect rain or shine. I phoned Trading Standards about "3 leaflets ago" and they seemed to imply that there was nothing much they could do as these folk were like chameleons continually changing addresses and company names etc. The answer is to take your goods to genuine charity shops, as Bob says.

If no-one supports them, it won't be worthwhile dropping leaflets. It is a shame because if residents donate to these people, charity shops will be the losers.

Imagine the cheek of some people - running a shop with donated clothes. You don't need any outlay for stock. It all just arrives!!!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 09:17:59 am »
I remember some time ago receiving a leaflet like this, it actually was quite upfront about the fact that it was a commercial organisation, stating that it employed people both here and abroad.

I think it's just a recycling activity after all, do you object to the council taking your compost each fortnight then selling it by the bag when it's rotted down ? Perhaps not so different to what these people are doing with clothes.

Of course, it's a different matter if these people pretend to be charities.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:22:46 am »
Sasquartch is right, it is only illegal if they claim to be a charity while not being registered as one. This company is not claiming to be a charity and has given a company registration number 5333502.

However, a quick check with the Companies House Web Check service claims that Ambertop Ltd was dissolved in April this year. Here is what was returned after searching on the company number.

To enter your own webcheck, click here and enter the details.

The WebCHeck service is available from Monday to Saturday 7.00am to 12 Midnight UK Time

Name & Registered Office:
AMBERTOP LIMITED
36 REGENT ROAD
BIRMINGHAM
B21 8AS
Company No. 05333502

Date of Incorporation: 17/01/2005

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
None Supplied
Accounting Reference Date: 31/01
Last Accounts Made Up To:  (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
Next Accounts Due: 17/11/2006
Last Return Made Up To:
Next Return Due: 14/02/2006

I guess people have to make a call as to whether what Ambertop Ltd is collecting items for are more worthy caused than those supported by local charity shops or events aimed at helping local community organisations. For example, on 2 Sept the North Mymms Youth & Community Centre is staging its Jumble Sale in order to raise funds for the upkeep of the centre, they always need items. There are also charity shops in Potters Bar, Hatfield and WGC.

Here is the latest leaflet to drop through the letter box this morning. It's from Ambertop Ltd. A search for news stories on the web finds a fair number of mentions of Ambertop.

David

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:24:06 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:02:29 am »
Thanks for the plug, yes the Centre does want your unwanted clothing and bric-a-brac for our Jumble Sale 2nd September (10-12Noon). The Centre in Station Road will be open Wednesday 30th & Thursday 31st August between 7 & 9pm and between 1 & 4pm Friday 1st September to receive your goods. Unfortunately, we too are then left with unsold goods which we then have great difficulty in disposing of. Disposal is a major problem and may lead to The Centre being unable to continue its twice a year sales, so these door to door collections or individuals taking their clothes to charity shops may be the only alternative to adding to yet more landfill. I am currently trying to find a reliable 'recycler' to collect unsold goods from our September sale.

Editor's Note:  If anyone wants to contact Ferdie you can do so by sending him an instant message through the forum. You have to be logged on to see the instant message icons, but once you are, simply click on the IM icon under his name to the left of his post. They look like this if he is online and this   if he is offline.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:47:44 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 12:36:18 pm »

Unfortunately, we too are then left with unsold goods which we then have great difficulty in disposing of. Disposal is a major problem and may lead to The Centre being unable to continue its twice a year sales, so these door to door collections or individuals taking their clothes to charity shops may be the only alternative to adding to yet more landfill.

Hi Ferdie, good point. Why don't you mail them to invite them to pick up the items left after your jumble sale?  There is an email address on the flyer which I have reproduced above. Unfortunately, part of it was chopped off (by me). It should read ambertop_support@****  and then the rest.

By the way, I have removed your email address from your post to protect you from spammers. I've suggested people mail you via the IM icon alongside your user name on the left of your post.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:12:51 am »
A local resident has contacted this site expressing concern about another clothing collection due to take place on Thursday 9 January 2008.

A flyer, posted through many local doors (scanned below), states that the collection is part of a 'charitable project' to help orphans in Lithuania.

The flyer does not carry a charity registration number. However, according to the charity commission, that is only necessary if the organisation, A.N.Y.A Ltd, is claiming to be a registered charity which, based on the wording of the flyer, it is not. Instead it says it is a 'charitable project'.

The spokesperson at the Charity Commission said last night that if anyone is still concerned they can write to the Charity Commission and/or contact Hertfordshire's Trading Standards

David

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 12:58:02 pm »
The website on the leaflet is quite interesting.  It is in both Lithuanian and English, switched by a tab at the top of the front page.

It lists ANYA Ltd as a partner organisation.  On the face of it, ANYA Ltd is the only non-Lithuanian partner organisation.  The picture gallery does not seem to have any relevance to the objectives of the organisation but presumably the pictures have some meaning.

It does make you wonder what the difference is between a charity that needs registering and a Limited Company that carries out charitable projects.

Offline recycling kev

• Opinions on a couple of things
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 02:10:05 pm »
As a recycling officer for a local authority, I decided to check the web site of the company who posted a collection sack through my door as I suspect it may not be a "registered"UK charity. I came across this forum on the company ANYA ltd, they also appeared on a BBC program recently under one of the several names they tend to use. Below is an print screen from the front page of their web site found at: www.anyaltd.co.uk and it says they are to be making no more door to door collections - so how did I get a collection bag?

Also another one that I have come across recently and to be aware of, it is up to you if you donate clothing etc to them is the "CICD" - College for International Co-operation and Development
Winestead Hall, Winestead, Patrington
Hull HU12 0NP  United Kingdom

Tel: (+44) 1964 631 826, (1964 631 824).

They are a company who have been putting a large number of clothes bank in the North of England and Scotland (usually without landowners permission) and they aren't registered with the charities commision, there are some interesting reading on the internet if you look for it, as always it is up to the individual to make up their own minds, but I believe we should all be provided with all of  the information so we can make our own decisions.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:46:04 am »
Another clothing flyer has just dropped through my door. A quick search of the web returns a  warnings. http://www.cumberland-news.co.uk/news/1.280807  I have mailed our local PC and PCSO to see if they can add any advice. Here is the flyer

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 11:21:10 am »
Another clothing collection leaflet dropped through the door today. So that's two collections, one on Monday and one on Tuesday. A search on Third World Clothing throws up some interesting results.

Offline P.C 484 Freeman

• Community Police Team
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 01:49:11 pm »
Hello,

It has been bought to my attention that a number of residents in the area have received leaflets requesting they donate unwanted items of clothing and to place them outside for collection on this Monday and Tuesday.

I thought it prudent for me to write to you and offer some advice in relation to this.

If you are in any way unsure about the authenticity of any leaflet of this nature, please contact either myself, P.C.S.O 6688 LUXFORD or P.C 2460 WAKELEN on 01707 806948, we will be happy to discuss any concerns you have.

They are your clothes and belongings, and you have the right to decide how they are disposed of, if you are unsure about the company or charity, take them to an approved charity shop (in most towns) who will be happy to take them on your behalf, that way you can be sure of where they are going.

Contact trading standards, who can advise as to the rules and regulations that govern this area of donation and collection. Their website can easily be accessed via the internet.

If in doubt - put nothing out

Please contact me should you have any further questions, we are hoping to be in the area all of next week, so may get to speak with some of you in person.
Kind regards
P.C 484 Ross Freeman
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:23:21 pm by P.C 484 Freeman »

Offline awill

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 08:19:12 pm »
I received yet another clothes collection bag through the door with a collection scheduled for Friday. I wanted to flag this only because this is not a charity collection but for a commercial company called "The Hand of Help". I did some googling on them and came across the ruling below on the Advertising Standards Authority website about this firm from a month ago. Interestingly it looks like they have already complied with the ruling since the envelope now states "The Hand of Help Ltd is a commercial company". However, the sentence on the top of the envelope (in very bad English) - "From the very beginning The Hand Of Help helped the disabled children and will do so in the future" may lead you to believe - incorrectly, this is a charity. So, up to you if you want to "donate" but as previously outlined by PC Freeman a couple of years ago, just check into the firms pushing envelopes through the door.

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/2/The-Hand-of-Help-Ltd/TF_ADJ_49679.aspx

Offline LMS

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 09:13:45 am »
I find these bags very useful when I am ready to have a clear out of clothes, I just fill them & take them to the  local charity shop of my choice. I do not like the idea of  leaving anything on the doorstep, giving somebody the excuse to knock at the door to see whether or not anyone is at home.

Tags: