Author Topic: Mymms Drive road surface  (Read 8979 times)

Offline hawk

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Mymms Drive road surface
« on: July 18, 2006, 07:34:03 pm »
Has anyone noticed the terrible condition of Mymms Drive road, its melting, literally!! You can see  the road was resurfaced on the cheap, it just can't take the heat unlike Brookmans  Avenue. Can anyone suggest what can be done before it literally breaks up. If you ask me the whole road needs to be dug up and redone properly.

Offline Cassie

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Mymms Drive road surface
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:26:10 pm »
Has anyone noticed the terrible condition of Mymms Drive road, its melting, literally!! You can see  the road was resurfaced on the cheap, it just can't take the heat unlike Brookmans  Avenue. Can anyone suggest what can be done before it literally breaks up. If you ask me the whole road needs to be dug up and redone properly.

Isn't it a private road, and don't the residents pay for the up-keep?

If that is the case, they could say not to drive along it.  (not sure of the fact though I'm afraid)

I had noticed it was melting though

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 09:11:46 pm »
Yes it is a privately maintained road, although it remains public access. There are a number of roads in the village which are not the council's responsibility, although council maintained some of the roads that come off them, such as Woodlands and Shrublands off Calder Avenue. Many of the residents of those 2 roads contribute to the Calder Avenue road fund as a gesture of goodwill, although some do not and there is actually no obligation, but that's what is good about village life. Maintaining the roads is a very expensive business I'm sure those residents would agree... Buyer beware! I guess the residents of Mymms Drive though have far more traffic using that road through to the Great North Road than Calder Avenue, although using that road cuts off some of the wear and tear on Mymms Drive! The whole Brookmans Estate was once all private, it's just one of those many wonderful quirks of life in BP. I guess one could always instigate road blocks and toll booths around the village, maybe satellite road charging to help pay for the upkeep!  :icon_jokercolor: That way we could have super duper highways around the village. Don't worry, the weather will soon cool down, there will be a posting in a few months about the lack of gritting by the council before long :icon_scratch:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:14:19 pm by ferdie »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 12:36:28 pm »
Georges Wood Road is also unadopted so there is a Frontagers Association which collects an annual road charge towards the maintenance of the surface.  Apparently the foundations of the road are well below the standard required for the County Council to consider adoption, so it will remain unadopted.  That road carries a huge amount of traffic including buses serving Chancellor's School and another school bus which picks up children attending it (going to a Hatfield school?)

With all the building work at the junction of Georges Wood Road, I am told more cars are now using Mymms Drive because of the easier junction with the A1000.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 06:21:57 am »

Has anyone noticed the terrible condition of Mymms Drive road, its melting, literally!!

You are right, the surface late yesterday had melted and bubbled. School children were busting tar bubbles with their shoes.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Phil_Holm

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:22:39 pm »
I say leave it as it is.  The condition of the road keeps the traffic slow.

The alternative is to spend a fortune making a lovely smooth tarmac road, then just add speed humps to slow the traffic down.

So why spend the money in the first place.

Phil

Offline hawk

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 08:12:40 am »
Everyone is complaining about Mymms Drive, the tar is getting on peoples shoes and on/into their cars. We all know that road surfacing is expensive but to let a road get into that state shouldn't be allowed.A good surface with speed bumps I think would be a better alternative, you never know it may even stop the coaches coming down it.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:04:53 am »
I remember as a child popping tar bubbles with my shoes or my bicycle wheels! (So really we did have hot summers back in the 60's!). It is likely that Mymms Drive, like Georges Wood Road would not be adopted by the Council, even if the residents agreed to it, due to the huge cost in upgrading it - unless of course the residents were willing to pay for it first. I believe there is a natural spring that runs under the top half of the road, (hense the bumpy surface) although it's been dry for a long time now. Moffats Lane used to be just that, a little Lane, but most of it was adopted long before I was on the planet, but it apparently all used to be gravel, like the crescent bit opposite the entrance to Gobions. Those residents kept their 'bit' of Moffats Lane private. I also remember one resident of Brookmans Avenue, sadly now deceased who always declined to pay for upkeep of the road, so when it was re-surfaced, a patch outside her house was always left!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 12:43:52 pm »
We all know that road surfacing is expensive but to let a road get into that state shouldn't be allowed.

If I lived in Mymms Drive I certainly wouldn't want to spend a huge sum of money on a road just so other people could drive along it even faster than they do now.

If I lived there I would surely be rich enough to drive a luxury SUV anyway so the condition of the road wouldn't bother me  ;D

Offline woodman

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 10:36:40 pm »
I am new to the area, and am intrested to know has there ever been any consideration to make the junction with Georges Wood Road and the Great North Road safer,

especially at the beging of school and in the evening, it is very dangerous to get onto the Great North Road. How about a round about or a keep clear junction.

Offline Peter Hastings

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 07:09:26 pm »
mymms drive now has a huge hole in it at the junction with Moffats Lane and it is really dangerous. I dont know how much the Mymms Drive fund has but this is emergency action needed. do they have a frontagers association like us in GWR?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 10:14:18 am »
Being a 'private' road, the people living on the road maintain it.  Herts Highways have no interest in it.  Presumably the Frontagers Association could close off that junction if they wished.  No there is a thought.  Or maybe just put cones round the hole?

Offline Lectricary

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 12:03:00 pm »
Mymms Drive is not a private road. It is an unadopted road. It is a public right of way and therefore cannot be shut off.

There is a road commitee which maintains the road and has it resurfaced regulary. Any holes that appear are dealt with by the commitee but this takes time in organising and doesn't happen overnight, especially at this time of the year.
Never over estimate a genius. Never underestimate a fool

Tags: