Author Topic: Halloween, trick & treat and bonfire night advice  (Read 81300 times)

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
Re: Halloween, trick & treat and bonfire night advice
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2002, 10:10:07 pm »
Dear Mooniemad,
By the time it has started there is little that can be done.
If you try to complain it means going on to someone elses property, this as I have found puts you on a very sticky wicket and can result in you being done for intimidation and threatening behaviour.
You will find in life that antisocial people are quite capable of using the law to protect them as demonstrated in our courts every day.
regards,
jet

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2002, 11:16:10 pm »
Just thought I'd put my two pennies worth in again.......

I'm not complaing about the amount of displays.........I'm not really complaining about home displays (although this is were a majority of accidents happen!) I actually love fireworks, I love the smell in the air, I love the way the light up the otherwise dreary sky.........

I think what this argument is about is people letting off fireworks late at night, when kids are sleeping, and animals have finally been let out at night because you think by then it should be safe. The very worst of all though is the very, very loud bangs that have been set off this year........the ones that don't really doing anything more than BANG.......I was told there were some loud ones this year which have now been banned.  The loud ones that come out of the blue, not part of a display, are purely set off to annoy other people.  They sound like a bomb blast and when they do come out of the blue, they can really make you jump.

Mooniemad, I have nothing against celebration, but it should never cause misery to other people.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2002, 08:44:57 am by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2002, 11:50:38 pm »
Just a few responses from some of the charming upright professional family men of BP when I have spoken to them about their anti social behaviour and I quote:-
" my dog don't bark" 15 hrs barking
" my kids don't scream" 4 hrs screaming
" we're avin a party" marquee, band, 2 am etc.
" its only once a year" ditto
" its got outa hand" huge fire
" f off before I knock you aught" in prescence of persons young daughter.
What chance do frail folk or senior citizens have.
Just think because people are not complaining it does not mean its okay.
well I have tried to reason, why don't some others out there have a go, I would be interested in the responses.
regards,
jet
oh I allmost forgot:-
" but they were having such a good time"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2002, 02:05:52 am by jet »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2002, 08:21:02 pm »
As I write fireworks are being set off to the North of BP.
Did anyone else enjoy the "display" at 12-40 AM this morning ???
It is getting tedious, still if thats what you want then thats what will happen.
regards,
jet

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2002, 10:16:55 pm »
I was woken by those fireworks too Jet and I must live almost a mile from you. It's likely much of Brookmans Park heard it. Half past midnight seems a strange time to have such a loud and bright display. Not sure what can be done about it other than wear earplugs. I doubt people making that sort of noise at that sort of time are going to listen to reason.
:(
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2002, 10:45:33 pm »
November the 5th, Diwali, the Holy Monthy of Ramadan, UAE National Day (today) , Eid Al Fitr (within a couple of days), they are  going off every night here, and I love it :)  If I hadn't had a couple (of drinks) tonight, I would be out looking for where the bangs are coming from.    

BP Primary School bonfire nights were always great, except that they were always held on 5th November, so I have missed more than I have seen (never got home from the well paid job in London to see them ;)).

As a kid, one of the perks of having a birthday at the end of October, was being able to have a firework birthday party.

JF, I am with you, bonfire night is a tradition and is great and the celebration of fireworks for whatever reason is fabulous.

Awful neighbours are the same the world over.

Toodle pip from the sun and sand.

Mary

John_fraser

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2002, 10:58:34 pm »
6:20 doesn't seem to be a bad time for fireworks. What's the issue with it at that time?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2002, 11:02:52 pm »
JF, I think the 'display' Jet was referring to, and which also woke me, was a one-off burst of sound and light at about 40 mins past midnight which lasted for about 5 to 10 mins and was all over.  Mary, it wasn't bonfire night but it could have been a celebration for UAE national day or ramadan, but I doubt it.  
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2002, 11:11:43 pm »
Ok, sorry. Reading that again I see your point. Fireworks really need to end this side of midnight.

BTW I was woken up at about 12:30 by one of my kids, but I bever heard any fireworks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2002, 11:12:57 pm by John_fraser »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2002, 11:29:38 pm »
Dear John,
How about the right side of November 5th >:(
Just shows how noisy your kids are or how good your DG is ;D ;D ;D
"ho ho ho and what do you want for Xmas sonny"
"Fireworks please or else I will set fire to your beard fatty"
The Xmas thread is coming, be afraid, very afraid :o
regards,
Ebeneezer Scrooge ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2002, 11:30:27 pm by jet »

John_fraser

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2002, 11:02:07 am »
Ok, so I'll ask again
6:20 doesn't seem to be a bad time for fireworks. What's the issue with it at that time?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2002, 11:02:56 am by John_fraser »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2002, 12:54:11 pm »
Dear John,
My main point was the noise at 12-40 am.
My second point was not so much 6-20 as the fact that it was December 1st, and the start of many more bangs last night.
It disturbs the so called peace around here and is a bit of an abomination on the Lords day.
If I have to tollerate the intrusion of various religions and ethnic nonsenses in my own country it would be nice if the same courtesy was extended to the peace once associated with Sunday being a day of rest and relaxation for the indiginous population.
If you consider the relaxation of standards of decent behavior is okay then that is your perogative and you will reap the rewards in time.
Personally I would like a return to the respect for other peoples peace formally taken as the norm.
It is not the fault of young people or children it is down to selfish adult missbehaviour.
Rant over,
regards,
jet
It would be nice to see such behaviour condemnded and the perpetrators shamed rather than accepted and condoned by people who should be setting a good example to others.
Rant two the sequal over

John_fraser

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2002, 02:30:24 pm »
I’m not going to defend late night fireworks, but to say that letting fireworks early on a Sunday evening is a ”relaxation of standards of decent behaviour” seems extreme. In the same way that half formed digs at other cultures seems irrelevant. It was cold – not to mention dark - on Sunday, so I can’t imagine that many people were sitting in their garden to have their peace disturbed. On the other hand, people like me saw them while sitting in traffic and thought they were nice.

I think you need to disassociate the use of fireworks at unsociable hours from the use of them in the early evening.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2002, 06:40:43 pm »
Dear John,
Sunday evening is a time in this country when the Christian majority religions of this country have their church services.
To have discharges of pyrotechnics when people are trying to pray is an insult and just plain ignorant.
If other religions wish to cellebrate their faiths and holy days accompanied by brash exhibitions of atmosphere polluting nuisance explosions than that is down to them, it would however be an act of consideration to at least leave Sunday as a peacefull day for Christians and gentlefolk to enjoy.
Nothing is sacred which is why our society has become the lawless inconsiderate  and total standard lacking undisciplined place that it is.
The fact that families are not even aware of the ignorance they display is a very sad thing in my humble opinion.
My so called dig at other cultures was merely an acknowledgement that fireworks have now been adopted for use as an addition to certain cultures religious activities.
There is no traditional basis for this, it apears to be a newish idea adopted for the commercial gain of the suppliers.
hope this clarifies.
regards,
jet
It seems that everyone who wants to be a nuisance has rights and those people who wish to live in peace and security do not.
I doubt that the fireworks last night were in any way connected with any ones religious beliefs apart from the religion of ignorant behaviour which is more prevelant in this village and indeed the whole country now than ever before.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2002, 06:46:51 pm by jet »

Offline anna

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2002, 07:11:57 pm »
The fireworks late the other night were really annoying. My dog went mad, and woke the kids up. It was more the shock of it I think. At a time when sadly, it is not that strange to hear about a bomb going off I think it would make anyone jump. But lets face it, those fireworks were let off with the sole intention of annoying people. No doubt they were bought by kids, as they are being sold cheap now, and they thought it would be a laugh to set them off. Must say, I considered calling the police, but realised it would be over by the time they came out.  

You are not meant to sound your car horn after 11pm, siren's  from emergency vehicles are not meant to be put on after 11pm either.......so of course you are not meant to let off fireworks either.

This is why in an earlier post I said that shops should not be able to sell them. Of course many people enjoy home displays, and use the fireworks with care, but they also get into the wrong hands. Just as shops sell cigarettes to 12 year olds, I'm sure they will do the same with fireworks.  It's not just the noise, what if one of these fireworks were thrown at someone........what if they are used to threaten some poor kid into handing over a mobile phone or money etc.........

But back to the matter in hand, fireworks after midnight are totally out of order, and I don't think any religious person from any religion would do such a thing. I think we are on dangerous ground here to start  talking about religions and sacred days.  This is no longer a christian country, if it was, shops and pubs wouldn't be open on Sunday. Every religion has it's own "sabbath" day,easier to just show respect to others at all times..........

Lets stick to the thread, and lets face it, I'm sure the kids who lit those fireworks the other night are having great fun reading this forum and seeing us all arguing over it.  SOmeone must have seen where they were coming from, next time, just call the police!

By the way I do love fireworks......... midnight is fine on New Years Eve.........but no other time!

John_fraser

« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2002, 07:15:23 pm »
1 – This country is only nominally Christian. For several hundred years only a minority has been church going and atheists or agnostics have probably been the majority.

2 - My guess is that most practicing Christians go to mass on Sunday morning, not Sunday Evening. Some Christian denominations allow the Sunday mass to be calibrated on a Saturday Evening. Does this mean we cannot have noise on a Saturday too? And are other Holidays of Obligation likewise banned?

3 - Use of fireworks on an early evening is not lawless.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2002, 10:45:47 pm »
My point is being entirely missed.
Sunday was traditionally a day of rest and was in general used for peaceable persuits and the attendance of Church for those who wished to go there.
Sunday has now been hijacked by commercial interests and therefore there is no longer a day when people can expect to enjoy themselves with their families in reasonable peace.
Nothing has been achieved by the denegration of Sunday, only a loss which will never be replaced.
I consider it an act of selfishness to set off fireworks on a Sunday, an ignorance which occured a few weeks ago on rememberance day and was an insult to the memory of all those who fell so that we may behave in a self indulgent way.
We will reap what we sow with the abandonment of traditional decent behaviour.
My last word on the subject, thus endeth the lesson.
regards
jet
P.S. Wether any one likes it or not this country is a Christian country and we have the Protestant Church of England predominantly. As Christianity is very tollerant any other religion whatsoever is allowed without question and all are wellcomed. Can this be said about most other countries in the world?
Value the freedom (thats left) enjoyed here as with the attitudes demonstrated daily throuhout the world it won't be as free as it is much longer.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2002, 10:57:17 pm by jet »

John_fraser

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2002, 11:13:19 am »
While I agree with your points about the hijacking of Sunday by commerce, it has nothing to do with the subject in hand. Neither does the Christian tradition of the country have anything to do with church attendance.

Christianity is not a tolerant religion. Nor has it been one for at least 1,500 years and possibly longer. Although founded with tolerance - and the New Testament has many fine examples of the teaching of tolerance – the history of Christianity is one of violence and blood that matches the extremes of any other religion. Even today there are a large number of church going bigots. The most tolerant group is probably the vast majority of atheists, agnostics or people who believe in God but do not really practice any formal religion. And please note that I write this as a practicing Christian. But again this irrelevant to the enjoyment of fireworks at 18:20 on a Sunday.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2003, 11:47:18 am »
A bill will be debated in Parliament next month recommending restrictions on the sale and use of fireworks by the public.  Click here for more details

Offline Margaret

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2003, 01:05:15 pm »
Personaly I don't think any religion is Tolerant. But that is because the Human Race isn't tolerant. But at least some of us try! There are seven days in the week, seven days to  shop, work, make noise, pollute, please let us MINORITY have at least one peaceful day.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2003, 10:01:34 am »
Herts wants to hear the views of local residents on the use of fireworks and what measures should be introduced to control them. The county has set up an all-party group to gather the information and lobby MPs with a view to introducing restrictions.  Click here for more details

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2003, 02:35:44 pm »
If anyone is interested in the location of the clowns who had a firework display at 2-30 am please IM me.
Another recent arrival to the village who have imported their own brand of "I can do what I like" antisocial behaviour.
How their minds work is baffling, just hope their kids grow up to be more mature than their parents.
regards,
jet

observer

« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2003, 04:52:18 pm »
Anyone who lives within 500 yards of the intersection of Mymms/Calder/Moffats knows who these thoughtless newcomers are!  

The sheer disregard for neighbours, and the absolute disgusting language was quite staggering and anyone looking for an example of anti social behaviour need look no further.

Perhaps this family are in competition with another new household, living nearby as to who can make the most noise as late as night as possible.

My message is just this:  have a party...... have fun........
but think of others and show some consideration, but as for the fireworks at 2.30a.m., your'e just showing disrespect.

NOT APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2003, 12:42:56 pm »
I have been a bit worried as of late that my intollerance to antisocial behaviour is peronal and that I am just a miserable old grump, however I am pleased to say that casual chats with various people has revealed to me that it would appear most people are a litle bit peeved with some of their neighbours to say the least.
I am astounded that the immediate neighbours of these idiots did not at least have a go at them, surely in this police state they cannot be afraid? Truth is they have learn't that these brash types could not care less.
I have observed that ALL the newcomers to the area around me do not have a clue regarding good behaviour. I also regret that they all talk, sorry attempt to communicate in Estuary English which being a Norf Lundana myself I find a bit of a let down. It is obvious they bring their attitudes with them from the possibly overcrowded ignorant areas they came from and have not got the brain cells to adapt to a (once) polite area.
What a shame, I just hope that their offspring become throwbacks when they get older and behave better than the examples set by their parents.
As an aside I notice that these types of parents allow their young children to run around screaming etc hours after they should be in bed any wonder the kids are hyper and never settle.
regards,
jet

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2003, 12:14:32 pm »
Jet,calm down,not everyone who has moved in has an estuary accent andhave unruly children,i moved in 9 years ago and have 2 children aged 5 and 9 which during the summer holidays love to kick a ball around in the garden and being children they may get a bit excited but again if they do start to get too noisy i just ask them to not be so loud and i have never had any complaints about the behaviour of my children.
However it is in a childs nature to express themselves and being on this earth probably for only a fraction of the time that you have they have not quite mastered the act of self restrain as you obviously have. ;D

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2003, 12:31:56 pm »
My observations are that ignorant types sound coarse and ignorant, however this is not the rule. I have well off and well spoken neighbours whose children behave appallingly in an unchecked manner.
Children need guidance to master good behaviour, however they do look to their parents for guidance and ape what they see, thus the reason for their loud expresive attitude.
Your kids are probably annoying your neighbours, but perhaps your neighbours are too tollerant/ afraid to complain. Their property would be more enjoyable without the sound of a ball being kicked about.
I have had the best week for the last 7 years, one family are away and the effect has been beyond my wildest dreams, it has demonstrated to me that I was correct to be upset by their noise and I was not over reacting.
CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN,I'LL GIVE YOU CALM DOWN :)

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2003, 12:53:18 pm »
If my nieghbours cannot tolerate the noise of a ball being kicked around in the garden i guess they should move to dessert island where they won't be able to hear anything at all.There are acceptable noise levels and also unacceptable noise levels and i feel if my children are getting noisy i calm them down or bring them in.........for you to suggest that my children are an annoyance is a slant on my parenting skills and as you Jet seem to be an expert on everything else you are probably an expert on parenting having so many kids of your own  ;D

Offline Margaret

« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2003, 02:05:46 pm »
Dear Shads
I don't think Jet was casting a slur on your parenting skills just pointing out that even though your children's noise is at an acceptable level it still might annoy some people but because it is at an acceptable level they don't complain. Like you I always had words with my children if they got to loud and unnecessary screaming was definitly not on and even in the summer there comes a time when you have to stop them for some quiet time, which it seems you also do. Unfortunately there are several familys in my and Jets immediate area who really couldn't care a less about there neighbours at all. As to your neighbours moving to a desert island, perhaps when they moved to a quiet country village they thought they had. Not everybody likes noise just as everybody doesn't like the quiet. If you like noise and hustle and bussle, don't live in a quiet village, if you like the quiet perhaps a desert island is the only option left. I know what Jet means about the last couple of weeks, it has been heaven around here, no barking dogs, no excessive screaming, no loud music played in the garden, peace at last, apart from the house or car alarm that goes of regularly every day! Not much lawn mowing going on either because the grass hasn't grown due to the lack of water. Oh well back to normal next week. ::) ::) ::)

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2003, 02:25:00 pm »
Most of the houses around our area are 4/5/ bed houses into which the majority of people who live there will be families with children....and i'm afraid that children will make a noise when they play but is the degree of noise that is the debate.I thoroughly agree that loud shouting and screaming is an intrusion of ones peace and i no way condone that behavoiur and i think the parents should bare responsibility for this.
However you cannot live in an area full of family houses and not expect to hear children playing in their gardens

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2003, 11:44:18 pm »
First off all the law says that I am allowed to enjoy my property, where screaming kids are concerned it however gives me no redress.
There is some clown in Mymms who allows their kids to kick a football about down the end of their garden. Near to me but of more upset to a neighbour as they kick it against the fence, it has happened twice this year and something shoulld be done about it.
At times it is like living in a school playground, if I wanted to hear kids screaming I would have moved next to a school or become some kind of left wing teacher, hell bent on letting the brats express themselves.
Its about time some of the parents around here wised up and started raising their brats correctly and taught them good manners.
The results are yobs smashing windows, driving badly and noisily and being downright unpleasant in the village.
I despair of the whole thing.
regards,
jet
Who knows his quiet week is coming to an end, back to school and then going mental from 4pm till bedtime.
The parents would not like it if their brats were kept awake with schol next day, if I let some fireworks off would they, police would be down then, grrrrrr it makes me so angry, I could just.. ARGGGGHHHHHH
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 08:28:39 pm by admin »

Tags: