Poll

Would you pay for a calendar of North Mymms?

Great idea - I'd buy one of the 7 sheet version.
0 (0%)
Great idea - I'd buy one of the 13 sheet version.
8 (47.1%)
I'd want more than one (1-5) of the 7 sheet version.
0 (0%)
I'd want more than one (1-5) of the 13 sheet version.
5 (29.4%)
I'd want several copies (5-10) of the 7 sheet version.
0 (0%)
I'd want several copies (5-10) of the 13 sheet version.
0 (0%)
I'd want more than the options above (will post in forum)
1 (5.9%)
No, not interested in the calendar.
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: North Mymms Calendar  (Read 12423 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
North Mymms Calendar
« on: June 04, 2006, 10:18:54 am »
Would you pay a fiver for a calender of North Mymms with a different, seasonal picture of the parish for every month of the year? North Mymms Parish Council wants to sound out interest.

The parish also wants to find out whether any local residents have taken snaps that could feature. This poll and discussion thread have been set up to assess whether the idea appeals.

To find out more about the idea, click here for a report submitted by North Mymms Parish Councillor, Bob Horrocks.

If you vote that you would like a calendar, can you please say in this thread whether you would want a seven-sheet calendar at about 4, or a 13-sheet calendar at about 5.

(Also, can you say if you have any nice pics to offer? Feel free to add thumbnails of them to your post using the 'Additional Options' function when you post. High resolution versions will be needed for the calendar.)

Thanks

David (posted on behalf of Bob Horrocks)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 11:23:38 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline barnabus

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: North Mymms Calendar
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:24:46 pm »
David / Bob

In our house we find the most useful / used calendars are those whihc incorporate a monthly planner - I wondered if the Parish Council would consider this as an idea?

Barnabus

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 07:37:25 pm »
Hi Barnabus,

Bob's in charge of this one - I just put the story up and set the poll up for him.

However, I agree with you. The monthly planner style is the format we prefer too.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 08:08:39 pm »
Bob / David

The other idea I had was that we could get some of the local businesses to 'sponsor' a month (little flash in the corner perhaps) 'January sponsored by XXXXXX'  - they could then use them for the promotion of their businesses and send them out to customers far and wide and by so doing get it up to the critical mass to make it worth printing (I know these things are expensive!) and if by chance the venture made a profit (sorry surplus!) this money coud go to some local charity - then we would all feel virtuous as well in buying them.

I really hope it gets off the ground - it is a brilliant idea - more power to your elbow!

So thats a 'yes'

Barnabus 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:28:01 am »
A reminder, if you want to vote in the poll, click on the button below the last post in the thread.

David

Offline JMT

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 11:25:16 am »
A 13 page monthly planner would be a great idea.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 10:17:14 am »
I agree that a planner format is what would be most useful. 

The rough pricing figures for packing and postage include costs for mailing overseas.  At this stage I am not sure how our ex-pats would get the money to the parish council bank account.  Could any of our overseas readers care to suggest a method?

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 05:28:35 pm »
Bob

Great idea, put me down for one of whatever is decided the format is.

Cannot speak for all of the overseas people, but I have a bank account in the UK so can write a cheque, or

I would sub the price from a friend or my brother and pay them back when next I see them!, or

I could pay in September when I am home on hols.

Mary

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 06:10:04 pm »
Bob

I do not know if this is possible but would 'paypal' allow people from overseas to pay for calendars? (others might be able to advise).

Barnabus

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »
Thanks for the idea Barnabus.  I did open a Paypal account but never used it because the need disappeared.  If it is still alive then it could be used.

Mary - we will know by September if it is going ahead so I will contact you beforehand.

Thanks to everyone who has voted.  It is looking positive so far.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 12:17:30 pm »
Thank you to those who have voted on this topic.  I shall be reporting the results at the parish council meeting on Wednesday 28 June so if anyone else wishes to vote, could they do so very soon. 

I had a mocked-up page for a calendar on the Green Belt Soc stall at Village Day and a number of people showed an interest.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 11:57:54 am »
the poll is now closed.  Many thanks to those who voted.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 12:03:28 pm »
The Parish Council is to produce a local calendar for 2007.

13 pictures are required.  I would be delighted to hear from anyone who feels they have a picture of North Mymms interest which might be included.  In particular, bluebells in Gobions Wood.  Please contact me via the IM symbol at the side of this posting.

If anyone would like to place a provisional order, please contact me via the IM symbol at the side of the posting.  The calendar will be A4 size, 13 sheets, ringbound, with a daily planner, at a price of 5 plus postage and packing of 1 or less (UK) , or more if overseas obviously  (3?).  Provisionally there will be 200 printed, but more if there is sufficient interest shown before they are printed. 

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:13:31 pm »
The North Mymms Parish Council calendar 2007 goes on sale this week and can be purchased at several locations around the area. The calendars feature 13 images of North Mymms, many contributed by local residents. Click here for more details.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 02:16:00 pm »
Bonfire Night.

Little Heath School holds an annual bonfire.  If anyone going this year intends to take pictures, I would be very pleased to hear from them.  I am particularly interested in a shot soon after lighting the bonfire with some of the crowd in the foreground.  I think it would be a very suitable November picture for a 2008 calendar, assuming the parish council does one for that year. 

To be suitable for at least a 5" x 7" picture it would have to be at least 1Mp size (digital cameras of course) but a film camera photo would obviously be very acceptable.  Also landscape, not portrait.

Also what about a Nativity scene for December? 

You can contact me via the IM  (internal mail) symbol at the side of this posting. 

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 07:29:33 pm »
PERHAPS A NATIVITY SCENE UNDER THE CHRISTMAS TREE ON THE GREEN WOULD BE POSSIBLE.

I DO REMEMBER TWO OR THREE YEARS AGO ONE OF THE SHOPS ON THE GREEN HAD A LARGE NATIVITY SCENE PAINTED BY LOCAL SCHOOL CHILDREN (I THINK IT WAS OAKMERE IN POTTERS BAR), WHICH LOOKED VERY FESTIVE.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 07:31:43 pm by peppermint »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 03:29:46 pm »
Thanks for the idea, Peppermint. 

Another idea for the December picture would be the switching on of the Christmas Tree lights, assuming there will be one again this year.  Cameras out everyone!

Any other ideas for other months?  Village day, North Mymms Cricket match, tennis at Queenswood ( a friend is seeing if he can obtain one), etc.

All suggestions gratefully received (except rude ones of course  ;D)

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 08:29:38 am »
Many thanks to NMPC.   I have received my calendar and it looks great. 

Mary

Max

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 02:48:17 pm »
I'll be getting my copy from Mary, possibly tonight. Looking forward to it. As for suggestions for next year, I'll probably make some after I have seen this year's model, as I expect much of what I would recommend is probably already included.

It will be nice to have a few scenes from home decorating my kitchen wall in Athens!

Offline Dubhagan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 07:12:18 pm »
It would be nice to have a photo of North Mymms Bowls Club in action. The club's men won a prestigious county title this year.
Dubhagan.

Max

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 07:56:24 am »
Got the calendar, and think it is very good.

Suggestions for the next one would be for it to include more water features. A shot of Gobions Lake would be good, and also one of the central part of the woods, preferably taken after some heavy rain when the water levels are up (and maybe when the sun is shining, if you could arrange the weather appropriately!). The Greek Orthodox Church of the 12 Apostles would also be a good inclusion.

Is the plan to keep the calendar confined to the area officially recognised as North Mymms (do you know, I do not actually know exactly what this comprises?) or could we branch out a bit and take in maybe Hatfield House and the River Lea, both of which I am sure would get the nostalgic ex-pat vote?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 12:32:04 pm »
Dubhagan said 'It would be nice to have a photo of North Mymms Bowls Club in action'. 

It is there already - see August 2007 page. The picture was taken at a 'roll up' on 30 August this year.

Thanks Max for your suggestions, and glad you like the calendar.  Apparently quite a few are being bought to be sent overseas to family and friends.  My wife and I are also sending some abroad to family and friends. 

To take Max's Gobions lake idea a step further, maybe a picture of an angler with his/her catch at the lake, to show some of the sporting activities in the area?  I will try to insert a picture taken in Feb 2004 when we had the last heavy snow fall - never tried this technical feat before!  (defeated - I will email it to Dave to do the technical stuff later)

North Mymms civic parish stretches from just south of Hawkshead Road and Hawkshead Lane, a bit east of the A1000, and a bit west of the A1(M) including North Mymms Park and Bullens Green (part of Colney Heath) and to South Way (where the cemetery is) to the north.  So it is Brookmans Park, Welham Green, Bell Bar, North Mymms Park, and parts of Bullens Green and Little Heath.

This first calendar was an experiment to see what demand there was for a local calendar.  Sales are going well, and the number printed has been increased from 200 to 300.  Assuming a second is produced for 2008 my guess is that it should still be of scenes within the parish.  The Greek church is just outside the boundary, but could be short-listed for 2008.

Max

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 01:14:06 pm »
The Greek church is just outside the boundary, but could be short-listed for 2008
Oh, is it? Thanks for that, Bob. Despite years as a BP resident, I honestly never had a clue how far the place extended along Kentish Lane. Although I was assured by Greek Cypriot friends that the place was in Brookmans Park, that being the only reason they were aware that Brookmans Park Exisited.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 04:27:30 pm »
North Mymms parish boundary on Kentish Lane is just beyond the last house - number 59, and Mymfield on the south side of the road.  The postal address is most likely Brookmans Park since that village is the nearest settlement.

Until I became involved in distributing the Green Belt Soc annual newsletter 11 years ago I also had no idea of the parish boundaries, or that there are about 3,600 residencies in the parish.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 08:30:48 pm »
Hi Bob,

Here is the image you wanted adding to your post (above)

David

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 03:55:26 pm »
Just a reminder that the North Mymms 2007 calendar is on sale at Brookmans Park News, the Dutch Niursery (on the wall near the cash desks) and Dellsome Lane Post Office.  Also at the Parish Council office next to the bowling green in Bushwood Close (off Dellsome Lane). 

Price 5 with 13 pictures of local scenes in Brookmans Park, Little Heath and Welham Green.  Very suitable for yourself and for sending to family and friends!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 03:55:04 pm »
January Sale time!

Price reduced from 5 to 2.

Last few available at Brookmans Park News on Bradmore Green, and Dellsome Lane Post Office, and the Dutch Nursery (in a box just beyond the cash tills with a sign above it).

Also at the parish council office, Bushwood Close, off Dellsome Lane (next to the primary school)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:58:08 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Tags: