Author Topic: Garden bonfires and burning commercial trade (building) waste  (Read 72298 times)

colinr

Re: Garden bonfires and burning commercial trade (building) waste
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2004, 01:51:00 am »
Nice reply and Greatville sounds like the ideal place to live. But if these other people want to dispose of the garden waste and "burn all weeds and infected plants" then they should look at being environmentally aware and not pollute the air that we all breath.
As I said earlier. We are lucky enough to have Welwyn Hatfield Councilís KERBSIDE COLLECTIONS on our doorstep, and they are I believe better qualified to environmentally dispose of the nasty things growing in out grass cuttings and weeds. So lets all use this fantastic service please before my lungs give up and my curtains, clothes and furniture require cleaning to rid them of these acrid smells.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 03:29:15 pm by colinr »

sammy

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2004, 03:52:23 pm »
Are they really just burning plant matter - this shouldn't produce much of an "acrid" smell should it? Wouldn't that come from other man-made stuff?

We don't suffer much from this, but I'd suspect that some people just like to get a fire going and keep chucking stuff on. Nothing more than that - they like to make fire and burn things!

Sammy

Offline Margaret

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2004, 07:41:27 pm »
Bonfires are the bane of my life. Lunchtimes at the weekend, just when children are coming home from school, when people have just got home from work and want to relax in their garden somebody in Brookmans Park lights a bonfire. Down the primary school at lunchtime the other week somebody near the school lit a bonfire, I don't know what they were burning but it smelt really awful and the smoke was blowing all round the playgrounds (it was a very windy day).
I have just come back from two weeks holdiday in Cornwall, lovely fresh air, knew when I was back in Brookmans Park though, two bonfires on the way through the village. Two weeks in Conwall only two bonfires and they were in the middle of nowhere on farms. They are the bane of my life because I have an allergic reation to all smoke as well as disliking the smell and I know quite a few people who suffer from Asthma who suffer even more when there is a lot of smoke around.

Offline barmy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2005, 09:50:55 pm »
Living by the railway line in Peplyn's Way, I am fortunate to have a reasonable depth of garden.  I am also able to maintain a bonfire spot at the foot of the garden, which has now healthily been stocked with some old pallets, a couple of tyres from my wife's car and some tarpaulins that I have had knocking about for a while in the shed, as well as some cuttings from the garden - which given the relatively mild Autumn are remarkably lush still. Has anyone else noticed the leaves are falling later this year? - must be global warming.

I would like to advise that I intend to incenerate said items on Saturday afternoon the 19th November.  Therefore please can you not have washing on lines or windows open in the vincinity at that time (Weather permitting, of course).  I hope the inconvenience will be minimal. 

Thank you for your understanding.  ;)

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2005, 10:17:44 pm »
Err, Barmy, I'm not absolutley certain of this, but I think there may now be environmental regulations that forbid the burning of car tyres.

supersonic

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2005, 10:31:44 pm »
I've merged this with an existing thread on this topic.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mary_Morgan

• statio bene fide carinis
  • Expertises:
  • Gin & Tonic
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2005, 06:41:39 pm »
Is there not a company in the railway sidings at  Welham  Green that offers you money for pallets?  Seems stupid to burn them if you can make a bob or two.

I must admit to quite liking a nice bonfire, but is it really necessary when it can cause discomfort to one's neighbours and it is very little effort to take rubbish to the tip in Potters Bar or on the Hertford road out of Hatfield.   :icon_scratch:

Suggest Barmy might like to use the tarpaulins to wrap up the rubbish and take it to the tip ;)

As for burning tyres - personally I think it should be criminal to inflict rubber smoke on anyone - but, of course, I think one would have to pay to have them taken away and paying to clear their rubbish is something that not a lot of people are happy about :o Query leave them with the "tyre shop" when they are changed, or is that too simple ???

M

Offline Bob

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2005, 08:03:19 pm »
Old vehicle tyres have to be disposed of correctly and burning them will be illegal as well as dangerous.
Bob

Offline barmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2005, 11:27:17 pm »
Actually on reflection I think I will take up the suggestion and wrap up the tyres into the tarps and take them down the tip.  I shall probably just stick to burning the relatively safe combustables in the pallets and the greenery.  If it is a damp day, I shall postpone my bonfire fun, as the smoke tends to hang on such days.

Apologies for unnecessary alarm!

Max

« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2005, 05:34:43 am »
I agree with Mary that it is quite pleasant to have a bonfire on a dry autumn evening, especially if there is some barbecuing associated with it. Living in Greece as I do, there is hardly a day when people are not cooking somewhere in the neighbourhood on some kind of out door wood or charcoal burning device (especially a gypsy family who used to live next door and actually did seem to spend a good many evening roasting hedgehogs on a spit, something that I had not believed that gypsies actually did. Quite tasty, since you ask). People (self-included) just don't seem to be bothered by it.

On the other hand, one must obviously show consideration to the neighbours. An occasional fire, consisting of wood, seems to me to be quite OK, but regular burning of even garden rubbish, let alone more objectionable materials (tyres, old matresses, dead dogs, murdered spouses etc.) is obviously not acceptable. Reason, consideration and tollerance from all parties is obviously the most desirable solution to the issue.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2005, 12:00:09 pm »
Hopefully barmy's tyres were taken to the tip - otherwise Peplins Way might look like this  :o ;D

Offline barmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2005, 10:12:10 pm »
Indeed they were and it won't be armageddon after all!    :)

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2006, 04:36:56 pm »
WHATíS THE LEGAL POSITION?

Many people assume that there are specific bye-laws to prohibit bonfires. There arenít. If used sensitively, the occasional bonfire Ė or barbecue- should not cause a major problem and an outright ban would be unreasonable. However, if a neighbour is causing a continuing nuisance by burning rubbish, legal powers can be used.

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, it is an offence to cause a statutory nuisance. This includes smoke and can include nuisance created by bonfires. To be considered a possible nuisance, the bonfire would have to be a regular problem and interfering substantially with your well-being, comfort or enjoyment of your property.

If you are bothered by persistent bonfire smoke it is best to approach your neighbour first and explain the problem. You may feel awkward, but they may not be aware of the distress they are causing and it might make them more considerate in the future. If this approach fails, contact us. We will take reasonable steps to investigate you complaint and can take action under the Environmental Protection Act by issuing a nuisance abatement notice. The same Act allows you to take private action in the magistratesí court.

Remember, if the fire is only occasional this is unlikely to be considered a nuisance. Similarly, if you are being troubled by a series of bonfires from different neighbours, each one of whom only burns occasionally, this will not be considered a nuisance because no single individual can be held responsible. In this situation all you can do is encourage them to consider the alternatives.

Finally, under the Highways (Amendment) Act 1986, anyone lighting a fire and allowing smoke to drift across a road faces a fine of up to £2000 if it endangers traffic. Contact the police in this case.

Rocket

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2006, 06:46:09 am »
Could the person who started a bonfire yesterday evening, on the hottest day of the year so far, please think of your neighbours next time you get the idea to burn rubbish on a lovely summer night?

We had to, once again, close all the windows. The smell was still lingering down the bottom end of Moffats at 3am this morning when I tried to let some fresh air in.

It is not necessary. The council has a recycling collection and there are recycling facilities at the local tips.

David
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 09:55:00 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline barmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2006, 11:09:32 pm »
So if the general consensus around Graden Bonfires is the smoke getting in your eyes (Isn't that a song?) and up your nose when you have windows open on hot sumer nights (another song?) is an irritant, how many of those grumbling are quite happy to light a charcoal bonfire, invite some friends around and cook a hearty meal of suasages, burgers, steak etc?  Coz, I'm thinking that a good BBQ doesn't half create a load of smoke and "cooking" smells and would that not constitute a similar irritant.

Clearly the answre is no fires of any kind in the garden whatever the purpose.  :(.   If you were not allowed to BBQ ever again, you'd probably not be best pleased.  SO the argument of happy medium, consideration and social tolerance is a winner - right?  :)

Been away a while, but back now!!

B

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2006, 07:11:56 am »

consideration and social tolerance is a winner - right?  :)

I agree, consideration and social tolerance is needed - particularly consideration.

Could people please answer any of the BBQ points in a separate thread on that topic, so that this thread can focus on garden bonfires.

Click here for the garden BBQ thread.

Thanks

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2006, 12:40:56 pm »
It had to happen. Lunchtime on what is predicted as being the hottest day on record and someone along Moffats Lane lights a bonfire with dark smoke wafting around the neighbourhood. Time to go round closing all the windows. Amazing disregard for others.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2006, 01:04:00 pm »

Isn't there a bye-law that they can't light up before 7.00pm?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:14 pm »

Isn't there a bye-law that they can't light up before 7.00pm?

There might be, but that presumes they can read.

:-\
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 01:06:43 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2006, 01:11:51 pm »

Isn't there a 'nuisance neighbours' dept in the council that you can report them to?

I bet the local fireman wouldn't be too pleased either that someone was deliberately setting fire to something in this tinder-box dry environment!

>:(

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2006, 01:14:34 pm »
It's died down now and I've opened the windows again. I guess those of us who work from home shouldn't moan too much, at least we don't have to suffer the tube in this heat. I really hope the Brooky Park Bonfire Club doesn't have an event tonight. There's no mention of one in the site's What's On Diary, so we might be okay.

;)

David

Offline Bobb

« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »
Unbelievably it's coming up to 5pm on one of the hottest Sundays so far and I can barely see the end of my garden for smoke.

It looks like some idiot Bluebridge Road way has decided this is the perfect time for a bonfire.

I'd like the person responsible to be aware that it is NOT.

1- it's hot - so most windows and doors are open so the smoke is going right through the house
2- a lot of people have washing out
3- there is no wind so the smoke just hangs about
4- it's daylight and most people want to enjoy there garden - not be smoked out

I am seriously not impressed.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2009, 05:05:34 pm »
Bit thick, isn't it Bobb [not the smoke, the person]. This used to be quite a problem in the past, but seemed to have gone away a bit since the introduction of the garden recycle scheme. (Merging this with the existing thread so you can see the history of the issue). Better shut my windows, I only live round the corner.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2009, 06:41:40 pm »
Just adding to Bobb's point. It's 18:40 on a warm Sunday night and some arse has lit a fire, so we are going round shutting all windows when we would prefer to have a breeze through the house. Can the arse please think of others in the future. [probably not, daft question]

:-\

colinr

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2009, 03:52:44 pm »
Hey Dave how about a name and shame? As soon as I see and smell the smoke I can take a snap add it to the Google map linked to the house number and then all can see the idiots location, its a sort of BP ASBO, what do you think will it fly or has anybody got any objections......

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2009, 04:27:04 pm »

There is clear advice re bonfires at Wel. Hat web site under environmental.

The link is;

http://www.fegga.org/main/download.php?id=36352,41,1

Clearly if there is a nuisence then you have clear rights- and offenders can be seriously fined!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2009, 04:47:09 pm »
I just hope someone doesn't start one tonight on an evening when everyone will have their windows open. What's the betting someone will?

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2009, 10:09:09 am »
Alex is the link that you have shown correct?

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:38 am »
I copied it from Welwyn and Hatfield site.

I suggest that you go to the site, go to environmental, search for garden fires and its all there

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2011, 10:39:50 am »
Seems strange to see smoke and smell a bonfire these days with so many opportunities for recycling. Seems so unnecessary; and it really does stink.  Have just gone round shutting the windows. Would love to see someone post justifying polluting the atmosphere for their neighbours.

Tags: