Author Topic: Shops in the village - opening, closing & suggestions  (Read 103777 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Shops in the village - opening, closing & suggestions
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2002, 06:53:34 pm »
And there I was thinking that you would like a little Christmas present of the tatty shop being replaced by something useful!  Is it a case of a cup being half full or half empty?    :o Excuse this little 'happy face' but I do like it.

Offline Neville Hobbs

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2002, 12:10:06 pm »
In reply to Anna's question asking why there is no Christmas tree or Christmas decorations in Bradmore Green I think I can answer that.
Take a look at our vandalised phone box! Every glass panel has been smashed by mindless morons last night- it makes me so angry.
I for one, am fed up with vandals ruining our village - or anywhere else come to that. I cannot be bothered to spend good money on Christmas decorations when they get trashed. I used to have flower borders around my office but they were trashed one night. It is so upsetting.
Perhaps if Anna or others  would ensure that the little ba**ards left our decorations alone, all the shopkeepers would club together again and buy a tree etc.
Maybe the youths of Welham Green ensure that their own decorations are protected - maybe!!??
Also, re car parking. How safe is a car these days if parked out of sight?
Parking is a problem in Bradmore Green. I am in and out a lot and find it hard to park these days. If ALL the shop workers parked else where it would make parking here a lot easier, but where could we park all day without annoying the people who live near the green - no-one wants cars parked outside their house all day every day esp a guy who lives at the end of Westland Drive who puts a cone in the road when he goes out!!!!!
We are ALL too lazy to walk furhter than necessary these days incl me. Lets see who parks in Bradmore Green.
WINDSORS          2 cars.
Hollywood           4
A Ward                4
Ultra Tan              2
Statons                2
Hair Boutique       2
Jans Pantry          2
Chemist               1 or 2
Probably there are more, but if these 20 or so cars were parked esewhere it would help a lot, but where shall we put them where they will be safe? Bradmore Green  and most other villages over 20 years old were not designed for so many cars.

Neville Hobbs
WINDSORS 01707 643459

Offline anna

« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2002, 02:09:15 pm »
Neville,

Why not ask the pub if you can use their carpark as it's empty during the day!  Then perhaps the shops can put some money together for cctv carmeras to keep an eye on things......then you might all get more trade which would soon pay for the cost of cameras, might be a good idea for the pub anyway for security.

As for vandels, well who knows, perhaps if we made their village pretty, they might respect it more? Welham Green do not have any one protecting thier decorations, my brother lives round there, and they also have a lot of youths hanging around.........I think even young people want to see something look nice.  If we think like that, we might as well all give up and throw our rubbish on the street.  

Why not hear from some of the Youths and ask them what they think, if the village was made to look nicer would they have more respect.  

Saying all of that, most of the rough inner city areas have  christmas decorations!

As for the great news about the tatty shop being a Vets, well I heard that ages ago, and they even had a notice on the window for a while........but it continues to look a mess, I'll believe it when I see it.   And lets not even mention, the fact we are having even more roadworks on the A1000!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2002, 08:20:40 pm »
Why not ask the pub if you can use their carpark as it's empty during the day! †Then perhaps the shops can put some money together for cctv carmeras to keep an eye on things......then you might all get more trade which would soon pay for the cost of cameras, might be a good idea for the pub anyway for security.

Great idea Anna! Hope it works. Can't really see any reason for that not to.

Is there no parking for cars around the back of the shops? I know this wouldn't help Neville much (grin), but, for example, you can see when going down Oaklands Avenue into Westland Drive that the shops over that side of the green have lots of car parking spaces, and I imagine this applies to the rest of the green as well?

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2002, 09:50:33 pm »
Am I missing something? There is a large free car park right next to railway station. About 60 seconds walk from Bradmore Green. If that is full, a 60 second walk down Bluebridge Road, past the United Reform church, takes you to a section of road with no cars parked and no restrictions. Or is that too far to walk?

Offline anna

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2002, 04:34:36 am »
Actually John, YES, for many people it is too far. People with young children, who just want to run into a shop without getting buggies out. Isn't that meant to be an advantage of local shops, if not why not just pop in to Tesco and get a trolly! Second of all, older people, who perhaps can't walk to far, especially in winter when Roads and Pavements are slippery. Third, who wants to walk when holding lots of shopping bags......or have had their hair done and its pouring with rain.  And lastly, many people wouldn't like parking in the Railway Station, as it can be a bit of a dark walk at night....and as Neville pointed out.........if Brookmans Park has been come too dangerous to put Christmas Decorations up with out a security Guard present, we have to question how safe it is to walk anywhere!

But yes, John, the shop owners could park their cars there and leave the other spaces for trade.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2002, 11:43:28 pm »
I cannot resist this any longer, I must put in my halfpenny worth.
Its all every one elses fault and every one elses cars is'nt it.
Its first come first served, people who work in the shops are not going to park in the station car park and return to vandalised cars are they, because if they do sooner or later thats what will happen.
The Shop keepers in the village are a hardy lot and the village centre would not exist without them.
When it comes to shopping though lets be frank, you can park easilly at the supermarket, have a good choice, get it all in one place, pay a good price, fill up with cheepish petrol and with the loyalty card one can save up the points and get most of Christmas free. All in a couple of hours, try that in a shop it would take all day and quite frankly working folk have not got all day, plus one can only park for a short time anyway?
Its a pity but thats the realism of it all.
The smashed phone box must have been heard by someone, there are over 100 people within 100 yards and the area is well lit?
First year without a decorated tree, why?
The whole village is starting to look like an unsalvageable dump. It is drab, dirty and the roads are full of mud from the building work being carried out every where, very few people clean out front of their homes and for some reason do not supervise their contractors mess.
The fact that in habitants are happy to let their dogs **** on the pavements ( JF will you please wash down that **** as I have trodden in it twice, I know you did not do it but :) )shows their lack of self respect and like most things if you have no respect for yourself then you certainly have none for each other.
School parking, a voluntary one way system turning left by the Restraunt of oriental origin ( P.C.) would really help, its that simple.
It is not up to a certain hostellry to provide parking, (but it would not hurt during the day would it? and it might generate some good will.
Truth is there is getting to be a lack of community spirit around here, the best meeting place seems to be the cyber world of this forum ( quick grovel)
regards,
jet
only one post left now :o
By the way latest notice at top of GWR? A1 4-way traffic lights, coming soon oh noooo..........

To JF below!!! you know I can't use my last post so easilly, but I can add to this one.
c**p There is nothing wrong with the food at SC and it is the only way that working folk can do their shop in a reasonable time.( 10p for a french stick Friday eve!)
You cannot park for more than 2 hours in the village without risk of some obersturmbhanfuerer ticketing the car and why should some householder have your car stuck outside their house in a nearby street.
As for the land mine, a bucket of water will do it quite easily thank you :o :o
Oh no we are at it again, why not just humour this poor old soul for once, or even for old times sake as time draws near.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2002, 01:49:17 am by jet »

John_fraser

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2002, 12:38:56 am »
Canít walk for 60 seconds! Maybe a few, but a very few. Most weekends I or my wife walk further carrying shopping and with two young children in tow. Unless youíre lucky Ė or park in a disable space Ė youíll walk further than that to your car from the London Colney Hypermarket.

Good choice at a supermarket! That will be the day. Theyíre full of the same, long shelf life, low bruising, zero flavour factory farmed pap, with a few nods to ďorganicĒ and exotic lines. Our local shops have as much or more variety. I know that doesnít sound right, but the choice at the fish mongers, bakers, green grocers, butchers etc is at least as good as the super markets. And if Brian hasnít got it in stock and he canít order it, then it hasnít been invented yet.

I will wash the dog cr*p down, but my hose wonít reach from the URC right down past my house to most of the way to The Gardens. Itís a mine field.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2002, 07:32:42 pm »
Dear Anna - They applied for planning permission some months ago but have only just been approved for the Vets.  They have just applied for an extension at the rear so they must be serious about re-opening the shop.  The old Paper Shop on PB High Street is also to become a Vets - must be a good line of business.
Re car parking in the village - WAGN, or whoever, is possibly going to charge to park at the station car park in line with other station car parks.  

Offline Margaret

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2002, 12:35:09 pm »
 :) :) :)First of all Happy New Year Everybody.
Parking, the never ending problem. I have three children all who went to the local Primary school and to Chancellors and we always walked except in extremely bad weather when I drove to the village and they walked the rest of the way. I then did my shopping in the excellent local shops then carried it home or pulled it up the hills in a shopping trolley (now used to take stuff to the beach). Parking was never a problem because the shop workers used to park round the back of the shops or in station car park. If it was raining we used an umbrella or wore our waterproofs. If it was snowing we slid all the way down the hills (bit of a struggle up hill though). The shopping was heavy but not too bad as I was doing it on a daily basis, which spread the load. As to the decorations the shops used to have lights all round the village put up by themselves, but, why should they have to pay for the electricity, and who would pay for the tree and decorations, perhaps the struggling shop keepers! Like John I can't understand why people don't look after there own frontages any more, it doesn't take a minute to keep it clean. My dad had a shop on a busy main road and he used to go out and sweep the pavement outside everyday and always swept up the snow to make it safe. Although I don't sweep everyday I always pick up any rubbish 'dropped' or blown near our house and outside my imediate neibhours (elderly one side, students the other). As to the vandals, if making the village look prettier would stop them why don't they do something about it instead of making it worse. Just another excuse I'm afraid for bad behaviour. I to am surprised nobody heard anything, it must have made a lot of noise.
Anyway winge over, have a great, happy and healthy New Year.

Offline CarolineB

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2003, 04:57:05 pm »
I read all these posts with great interest. Yes, I totally agree with using the village shops more, and it is also up to us residents in using them so that a useful variety of shops is maintained. Gradually more and more shops seem to go into the 'service industry' - i.e. hair dressers (beauticians) and restaurants/takeaways, whereas there is also a rather high number of estate agents. What really makes a village centre useful is that there are shops catering to a variety of everyday needs, so that it will not be necessary to go elsewhere or to a supermarket to get the rest. Alldays has expanded into supplying more and more essentials, whereas we also have a good hardware shop that caters for most things, including bicycles, and a good baker, greengrocer, butcher, fish shop, optician, pet shop, off licence, dry cleanners, newspaper shop, etc. In addition, we are lucky in that we still have a post office and (very small) library.
So let's use them! All other shops that will increase the variety will be most welcome. A veterinary surgery certainly will be useful in a village with so many pets, and would even more increase the pull of the village centre. And a cafe with or without internet availability would also really help to increase the social pull of the village, which conversely would also help other village shops.

Caroline
Caroline

TrueLies

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2003, 03:41:39 pm »
I cannot resist this any longer, I must put in my halfpenny worth.
Its all every one elses fault and every one elses cars is'nt it.
Its first come first served, people who work in the shops are not going to park in the station car park and return to vandalised cars are they, because if they do sooner or later thats what will happen.

Hi.
Sorry, I came across this board doing a search on 'Ghost Town Britain'. I haven't read all the posts yet but it seems your village is heading the same way as ours. I'll just say now that the above is what I regard as a selfish unhelpful attitude to both customers and neighbouring shops. The 'I don't need customers to drive here so i'll park outside my own shop. If a customer/rep/visitor does drive here, they can park outside someone else's shop.'

Sure, why don't you let out rooms above the shops and have residents (2 car owners in a 1 bedroom flat above a shop in our parade) restrict customer access for days on end?.

Parking is the main threat to local shops in my view. The vandalism worries, although real, of parking your car in a nearby car park is a poor excuse for selfish business-damaging parking.

Your parade will soon consist of shops few people use and little community spirit. I am putting together a report on our situation but i'll pop in here from time to time.

Jimmy †:P (a nice guy really)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2003, 04:07:04 pm by TrueLies »

Offline anna

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2003, 05:11:56 pm »
how nice of you Jimmy to drop in! Must say I agree with you. †Fact is most of us are in our cars. If only life was so simple to just walk to school and back each day, but for many of us we have more than one or two children all at different schools and are rushing about all over the place. Sadly often due to the fact that the schools in the area don't actually have enough places for local kids because they take from outside the area! So we are driving in our car, in a hurry to get a few things before the next pick up, and you can't park anywhere. It's a bit stupid to drive home and then go out again and walk.......so what do you do, run into the local tesco.

I'm quite new to this village, and I really thought it would be a great community spirit, but in fact we have very little, the only thing we have is village day once a year, and that was very poorly attended. We didn't even have christmas decorations this year in the village! Very Sad.

Simple fact is, life changes, people use their cars more, we seem to be rushing around more......so we need shops we can get to easily. I'd love to support my local shops more, and if I could park I would do so. I have very little time, and considering a walk to village and back would take me at least 40 mins well over and Hour with the kids.......it's just not possible.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 03:23:58 pm by anna »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2003, 06:06:51 pm »
........for 02 and the first for 03 ;D
Dear Jimmy,
If you must quote me please have the courtesy to read what I have written.
The station car park is not the best of places to park and there have been many instances of theft over the years. Parking your car in a place where it is likely to be vandalised is rather daft to say the least.
The station car park is primarily for people using the train to park in.
If people wish to live in a flat above the shops, whose business is it regarding how many cars they have.
There is a time limit on parking outside the shops and my observation is that shop owners do not park beyond these limits, they have as much right to legally park as any one else they are not second class citizens because they work in a shop.
There is no real parking problem in this village for anyone as long as they are prepared on rare occasions to walk for say 5 minutes top.
The only parking problems occour during school dropping off and picking up times and it does not take a lot of planning to avoid these times.
I regret finding it neccasary to post but if people are going to misinterpret my quotes for the world to see then they will get a public reply.
Thats you teld then.
regards,
jet
Tell you what you leave my village alone and I will not interfere with your village wherever that is.

In reply to Anna below, yes but you have short legs and being a lady take dainty steps, thus preventing an un wanted glow ( glow is  what a Gent says rather than sweat) :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2003, 07:29:26 pm by jet »

Offline anna

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2003, 07:18:24 pm »
See Jimmy what a friendly little village we have..........Jet is our very own Victor Meldrew, but don't for a minute think he is unhappy, he loves a good old moan and groan, and really he's is just a big softie but he doesn't wany anyone to know:)  

Jet, I actually had to park up the road the other day to get to the shops, and it took me 7 mins, now of course add the time I was in the shop and the walk back.....the whole trip took about 18.5 mins. Didn't really matter, just making a point:)

John_fraser

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2003, 10:08:53 pm »
Jimmy,

While itís nice to have visitors, you really know nothing about BP. The flats over the shops are rented out. The shops are supported and they have survived the closing of our local bank and two new ones are due to open soon. There are a comparatively large number of spaces in the village and you can always find a space if - as JET says Ė you are prepared to walk for a few minutes.

I have no idea what happened in your locality, but there is no certainty of BP losing its shops. True, times are lean for them and the supermarkets give them a hard time, but provided people continue to use them, they  will stay open.

John

P.S.

Anna, I donít know how quickly you walk, but my 2 year old can walk from here to the village in 7 minutes and there are always parking spaces where the yellow lines end at the URC.

John_fraser

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2003, 10:10:48 pm »
Why are there yellow lines along Bluebridge Road, Brookmans Avenue and Bradmore Way? None of the three, especially the last two, have the volume of traffic to warrant it.

TrueLies

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2003, 11:18:53 pm »
Firstly, sorry jet if I misinterpreted you, Hello Anna, and yes John I know nothing about BP. Can I ask a few things?

If there's a lot of parking facilities, why does it take a few minutes walk to get to the shops?
Do you feel tennents above a shop have priority over customers regards parking outside the shop (if that's where they park?)
What are the restriction times in these bays compared to the opening times of the shops?
With Anna saying she would use the shops more if parking were easier, can you offer a solution?
What kind of population are we talking about here and what is the competition nearby i.e. supermartkets ?

This is a genuine inquiry. The Ghost Town report stated 'throughout Britain local economies are being killed by different forces ....'. It would help me to gain a perspective on this from a different village/town even though BP doesn't appear to be in bad shape now.

I may know nothing about BP but I know plenty about local shop needs and problems ahead, so I may post something worthwhile yet.

For Anna & John - What TV characters could I compare you too. I'm sort of a cross between Phil Mitchell and Carol Vorderman.

Jimmy

Offline anna

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2003, 02:46:00 am »
To JF and JET, I was joking about the walk OK!!! Having a laugh, remember that? I certainly don't bother timing my walks. Fact is if I did want to walk, I'd have a pushchair or my dog with me. †Have you tried getting pushchairs in and out of shops, when you have back problems and no-one seems willing to hold a door open for you!!! And my dog doesn't like be be tied up and left outside. †

Anyway I disagree with you both. What is so wrong about an "outsider" coming in and perhaps trying to give some helpful advice. I've actually lived in this village for 18months, but still feel like an "outsider". Surely if this person has seen their local village shops die out.......then maybe we should be willing to listen? †Have we really got such a great parade, lets all be honest for a moment! In a small village, we have 3 estate agents, at least 3 hairdresses, 2 dry cleaners, 2 beauty salons, and god knows how many Indian restaurants! † Why isn't their more variety?

What is so wrong to listening to a bit of advice? We've seen the post office get smaller to accomadate another cash machine, yes it's needed, but shall we wait for the post office to disappear like it has on so many other small parades before we actually take notice. †

I think it rather nice that someone who doesn't actually live here has taken time to share their views. †JF do you really think our village so great? If so why have shops sat empty for so long????

Jimmy, not sure who I compare myself too, but if we keep to the eastenders theme, I'd go for a bit of Cat and with a bit of moany old Pauline fowler thrown in. Perhaps Jet and JF would think differently!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 03:26:46 pm by anna »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2003, 08:39:17 am »
There is a fairly good variety as outlined in a news item about 'Ghost Town Britain' published on this site on Dec 16, click here, and reproduced, in part, below.

• Hardware store
  • Pet shop
  • Chinese take-away
  • Chinese restaurant/take-away
  • Indian take-away
  • Two Indian restaurants/take-away
  • Fish and chip, kebabs eat in/take-away
  • Optician
  • Off licence
  • Two dry cleaners
  • Dentist
  • Electronics
  • Five hairdressers
  • Four estate agents
  • Newsagent
  • Post Office
  • Butcher
  • Fishmonger
  • Grocer and florist
  • Bakery and cafť
  • Chemist
  • Household electrical appliances
  • Two home furnishings
  • Alldays convenience store
  • Health studio
  • Lingerie store
  • Hotel, pub and restaurant

« Last Edit: January 09, 2003, 03:19:43 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

MikeL

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2003, 03:04:43 pm »
Where does Brian fit into this list?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2003, 03:21:44 pm »
Sorry Mike, and apologies Bryan. †I have added it to the top of the list. If anyone else sees any omissions please let me know.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2003, 03:22:22 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2003, 03:52:37 pm »

Do you feel tennents above a shop have priority over customers regards parking outside the shop (if that's where they park?)

Jimmy

As someone who lives above one of the shops - not that I'm a driver :), but my house mates park in the parking spaces out the back. Most of the flats are rented out, and most of them have parking areas at the back of them. I don't know anyone who lives above a shop who parks around the front where the customers would.

You can see an aral photo of the village centre here which might explain what I mean a bit better!

http://www.brookmans.com/galleries/aerial/sky7big.jpg

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2003, 04:16:33 pm »
Interesting looking at the aerial photograph James mentioned above and comparing the village now with what it was in 1950. †The first picture is of Brookmans Park 2002 and the two pictures below are taken from chapter six of 'North Mymms Pictures From The Past' - click here, †which deals with Brookmans Park and will be going online next month.

Brookmans Park 2002, aerial photo taken by Paul Large.

Aerial view of Brookmans Park 1950 with Bradmore Green, the Brookmans Park Hotel, development underway in Bradmore way, the north side of Bluebridge Road and development still to commence in Oaklands Avenue.

Brookmans Park, Bradmore Green 1950 as viewed from the railway station.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2003, 05:38:22 pm by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2003, 05:37:51 pm »
Just added a copy of the aerial photo of Brookmans Park to the post above so you can compare what has happened in the last 50 years.  It is a slightly different angle but gives a good idea of how the village centre has developed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2003, 05:40:59 pm by admin »

John_fraser

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2003, 09:26:26 pm »
I donít object to outsiders in general, or Jimmy in particular. Its just that the comments made above, while possibly true for his experiences, donít tie up with the reality of BP. I donít see parking as being such a big issue. When I do drive to the shops, usually on route, I can always find a space if Iím prepared to orbit or walk. Usually someone moves on within a minute or two, freeing up a space. But then Iím willing to walk and really donít enjoy driving.

The reason for the lack of variety as well as for shops standing empty is simply because not enough people shop there, preferring the soulless warehouse of the local supermarkets. Part of this is the parking Ė which isnít that much better there at peak periods Ė the perception of cost, the convenience of one-stop, and the perception of more choice. But IMHO, the real reason is that people shop in supper markets because thy are in the habit of shopping there.

Also Anna, I do apologise for the remark about my 2 year old. I really meant if in jest, but reading it again its not written that way. I have pushed a pushchair around the shops and what you say can be true. But my children introduced me to a lot of the residents in the village while I pushed them around the shops. Unlike Supermarkets, the faces in the shops donít change every day and they get to know you. The supermarket may seem easier Ė although your dog wonít be welcomed there either Ė but the local shops are a lot friendlier.

T.V. character ??? Frasier Ė only without the ďIĒ

TrueLies

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2003, 01:14:55 am »
Hi John.
I realise i'm on sticky ground here - the header of this Forum doesn't say 'created by the community for outsiders' does it? and i'm prepared to be doubted.

If we do share anything it's that we like to keep local shops going and in my case i'm mainly focusing on parking and parking facilities. We would be really struggling if it wasn't for our local customers, like yourself, who are prepared to wait for a space, orbit the block or park a fair distance away and walk here. I know for a fact we lose customers because it just wasn't convenient enough to do the above - it takes away much of the 'convenience' and appeal of local shopping in their view as much as they'd like to shop here.

I will repeat that I know nothing about BP, but I think you do have a parking problem - maybe not for you but for some people. This isn't my sole problem with local businesses you understand, but it's a good start.

p.s. I like the photos. Cheers

Jimmy

TrueLies

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2003, 01:24:39 am »
f.a.o. James.

Cheers for the reply - nice to see residents use their own facilities, unlike here where there's a problem.

Jimmy

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2003, 07:48:38 pm »
Maybe the answer to the parking problem would be to change one of the two greens into more parking spaces - but it would look awful!
Lets face it, Brookmans Park is no different to lots of other places - it was not designed for the no. of cars which are on the roads today. Everyone seems to have a car and everyone wants to be able to park right outside the shop they wish to visit.
If only we had the amount of space around that there is in America! Not too many parking problems there.
Personally, I dont think that there is an answer which is satisfactory. How many people are prepared to use "park and ride" in other towns? Personally, I have never used the service as it is inconvenient.
Possibly, in England.......
Too many cars.
Too many vandals and theives.
Too easy to go to the supermarket.
Too lazy to walk.
Too mean to pay a little extra to shop locally.
Too easy to moan!
Would we all really like to go back to the 1950s when parking was easier? Lots of other things have improved but we tend to take the good points for granted and moan about the bad points (including me). Our standard of life has improved dramatically in many directions - central heating for one!
No doubt there will be some comments made back.
:)

Offline Margaret

« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2003, 10:49:05 am »
I must admit to being a bit miffed sometimes if I can't park in the village but it is usually when I can't park and then find there are no customers in any of the shops! ??? ??? So where are all these cars coming from as I always avoid school times and lunch times (if possible). But then if I know it is going to be difficult it just forces me to stop being lazy and walk. So in theory with all the walking and line dancing I should be extremely fit!

Tags: