Author Topic: Shops in the village - opening, closing & suggestions  (Read 103582 times)

John_fraser

Re: Shops in the village - opening, closing & suggestions
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2002, 01:48:37 pm »
If all Estate agents charged the same monetary amount now as I did in 1981 we would all go bust!

I was just pointing out that your "reduction" has you gaining far more than 21 years ago even allowing for inflation.
Do you still earn the same now as in 1981? Does anyone? Come along now, be fair!

No, I do indeed earn far more, but I do a very different job now. Has your business changed much? Also I have not had a pay rise in two years due to the downturn in the markets. The boom in the house market has resulted in estate agents getting a vastly higher profit per house over the same period. Many people have seen inflation eat into any pay rise they have had over the last twenty years.
Would you prefer to have no estate agents?

Seen as you ask, yes!
If our fees now were too dear, we would go out of business as vendors would not use us!

I didn’t say your fees were too high, just that the reduction wasn’t real. But many industries charge inflated prices and get away with it. Banks, mobile operators, new car dealers and record companies being good examples. All that is required is for everyone to adopt similar practice and charge structure and for the public to accept it.
Would you prefer all the estate agents to charge 2%?

see above.
Enough said, you are supposed to be writing about the tatty shop!!!!!!

Well you went off topic not me.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2002, 01:51:18 pm by John_fraser »

Offline MC

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2002, 12:17:54 pm »
So is it REALLY going to be a doctors surgery?

I can't see it being very successful. Just my opinion of course but with a perfectly good doctors just down the road I don't imagine many people would go to the bother of changing their arrangements.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2002, 12:35:40 pm »
In my experience Windsors appear to be the most cost effective agents around here, being run by a working proprietor.
All agents are a bit of a pain but if anyone thinks its easy to deal with awkward clients while being stuck in the middle then consider that they only act on instruction, they don't tell people what to do.
As far as earnings I earned a lot more in the 80s than now, I took more of it home and could buy a lot more for it.
Consider this, if people can afford a 500K house now and it only cost 250K that person could have the house, cars, boat, plane, caravan, timeshare as well with a bit left over. All the high prices do is make people slaves of the money lenders. What a bunch of mugs we all are lining the pockets of the financiers only to watch them mess up the stock market with everyones savings and pensions. Still it does not matter to them as they will soon recover costs from forclosures.
Now what has that to do with the tatty shop, well why do you think the shop is still unused, its because it is not viable. It costs more than the potential profit.
regards,
jet no smileys on this one its too serious

Offline MC

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2002, 12:48:52 pm »
Nice post. We are slaves to the rat race  - the only suprising thing is how few people recognise it. Or perhaps people recognise but aren't prepared to admit it.

M

Offline MC

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2002, 01:39:52 pm »
From what limited info I have the spare shop status is :
so-called tatty shop - due to be a doctors
ex-Sway shop - due to be another Indian take-away
ex-lighting shop - due to be a lingerie shop
ex-pine furniture shop - vacant

So it seems some people have plans

MC

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2002, 04:15:00 pm »
I have just phoned the agents again to be told that the Doctor has withdrawn from the shop!!!  They told nme it was all signed up when I spoke to them last time - ah well  there are estate agents and then there are WINDSORS!
I guess that running a business in Brookmans Park is not as easy as people think. I have seen many shops open and close. New shop owners tend to think that as Brookmans PArk is a wealthy area there will be easy prifits! How wrong that is - just ask Brian! Local people like a bargain and lots of service or they will go elsewhere.
I wonder who will take the tatty shop now?

Offline MC

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2002, 06:04:44 pm »
Having just noticed the monthly rent for the old Sway shop on the Andrew Ward web-site - sorry Neville - then I'm not surprised businesses struggle in BP. Apparently the rent is the princely - no, kingly, sum of £9000 per month.

Ouch.

M

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2002, 06:31:41 pm »
Good thing that there is dough in papodoms ;D
regards,
jet

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2002, 08:24:05 pm »
The Agent - Jon Christopher 0208 444 0055- is quoting £11,000pa for the shop and his assistant is not sure what the new prospective tenants wants the shop for. At  £916 per month plus the cost of renovation, whoever it is must be hoping to make a lot of profit from the locals.
How much are popadoms these days?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2002, 08:32:16 pm »
£916 per month seems cheap compared with the £9000 pcm that is being asked by Andrew Ward for one of the other shops. Even allowing for the cost of renovation that seems a big difference.

Offline MC

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2002, 08:38:15 pm »
The Andrew Ward site MUST have a typo error.

£9000 pcm equates to £300 per day. There isn't a single small business that could support that.

I saw another shop in the village that seemed to be going for £9500pax which I assume means per annum excluding "something". It wasn't clear from the picture which shop it was but it looked like the jewellers.

M

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2002, 08:42:01 pm »
Had a closer look at Andrew Ward's website, although the front page states £9000pcm the detail actually states £9000 per annum - so a typo error.
You still need to turn over quite a bit to pay for that, with the addition of business rates, staff costs, insurance etc - it can't be easy running a profitable business in BP.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2002, 08:43:52 pm »
In another thread about a tea room in the village
I think the idea of an Internet cafe may work
 I wonder how much an Internet cafe could earn in a village like this. Has anyone done a quick calculation, cost of renting computers, the cost of the lines and the likely throughput and return from surfing the web and supping coffee?  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2002, 08:44:38 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline MC

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2002, 06:31:56 pm »
Well I would think most people around here have computers so it becomes a judgement call about how many customers there might actually be. I shouldn't imagine the maths is too attractive considering rent, business rates and staff costs

M

John_fraser

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2002, 11:04:01 pm »
My back of envelope calculations:
6 PCs at £700 each written off over three years
£9,000 rent
£10,000 salaries for part time staff
£15,000 profit to allow your family to eat
15% other stuff I can’t be bothered to add.
6 Days open a week 10am to 10pm

Works out at a little over £46,000pa or about £21.50 per pc a day. Assuming that each PC is only used for about 30% of the time the shop is open, you need to charge about £6 an hour or £1 for 10 minutes.

My opinion is that the maximum you could charge would be £2ph. For this to work you need 20PCs, but you’d probably need the old furniture shop to fit them in, which would cost more. 90% utilization of 6 PCs, or 70% utilization of 8 PCs would also work.

Mark’s idea of allowing networked games in the evening would probably allow a premium to be charged. But in short I can’t see an internet cafe making money here. Jan’s Pantry, the pub or another tea room could add it as a side line, but not as the core business.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2002, 01:20:05 am »
I just noticed that there is a planning application in for a Veterinary surgery at this premises.
Should do okay around here ???
Striking window display at the old electrical shop, certainly brightens the village :o
regards.
jet

Offline anna

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2002, 04:53:36 am »
That would be great as far as I'm concerned. Save me having to load my dog into the car, (which he hates!) everytime I need him checked over.

In fact with all my animals I can keep them in business! Makes a change from yet another Indian anyway.

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2002, 12:31:53 pm »
I wonder if Johnsons the butchers will notice a drop in trade if a Vetinary practice opens next door to it? The planning notice has been in the window for a week or so. I have given up wondering what it will become. Perhaps all the previous prospective purchasers back out after a survey?!??!?!?

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2002, 09:20:48 pm »
Welwyn Hatfield Council have stuck a notice on this shop window to say that a planning application has been made to change it into a Vet Surgery.  Interesting!  At least that would be different.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2002, 07:24:59 pm »
Johnsons would certainly have a potentially brilliant new source of cheap meat.

Also, Jet, I agree wholeheartedly about the new window view.  Only problem is that I'm being pestered almost permanently by my missus now...

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2002, 08:02:45 pm »
Dear Aiden,
Get a larger Mrs :) :) :) :)
Oops I'm in trouble now.
regards,
jet

John_fraser

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2002, 10:33:13 pm »
Dave asked whether Brookmans Park is bucking the trend of shops evaporating from local communities. Clearly, so far, I pleased to agree that it has and we have some first class shops in the village. Sadly, however, this may not always be so. While the village seems to have survived the closure of the bank, I don’t feel that we can assume that we will always have a thriving retail area. Think how bad the tatty shop looks. Imagine if three, four or five shops shut within a short period and remained empty. Think how tatty the whole of the area would then look, how much less pleasant the centre of the village would be and how that would affect the rest of the shops’ trade.  Such an event, which in a downturn is not particularly unlikely, could see us lose most of our shops and join the general trend.

Of course there is away to avoid this. Shopping in the village offers much better service, far better quality and often better choice than any of the not-so-local giant soulless mega super stores. It also keeps 40 good local shops/small businesses/local employers in business, this gives a centre to Brookmans Park and this is what makes the place feel like a village and not an estate. If we lose our shops, this village will lose a lot of its character.

I don’t have any financial interest in the shops – other than realising that the value of my home would drop if the green was full of run down tatty shops – but I try to shop there when possible. If you don’t, why not try it in 2003?

Offline anna

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2002, 02:47:41 am »
Not really to do with the shops, but I actually think people might shop there a bit more often if the area was made to look nicer. And this is the perfect time of year to do it! I can't believe how dull it looks, no effort what so ever to give the place a christmas feel. It would have been nice to see school children give a carol concert on the village green. A few lights. Perhaps a big tree on the Green. If you get a moment, take a drive up to Welham Green Village, and see how pretty it looks......the people in the shops have the festive spirit, and you feel in the mood to spend some money. Our village looks very drab, this is the whole problem, it doesn't feel like a village green.

And before anyone has a go, I do go to the shops a lot, because I walk past them every day, I support the local hair dresser,  dry cleaners etc,  This village actually has very little pride in itself, if they made the effort to make it look inviting, perhaps more people would visit. Another point of course is parking is a constant nightmare, I wonder how many people just give up and drive up to Tesco's where they can park! Perhaps the Pub should consider letting people use the car park at non busy periods.  Perhaps like the church car park, they could offer their services for a walk to school effort, encourage people to park there and walk up the Road, which would stop a lot of congestion.  It's all a matter of people pulling together, taking pride in the village and the community. Then perhaps other business would be more inclined to want to open a shop here and keep the trade going!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 02:49:42 am by anna »

Phil_Holm

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2002, 03:07:19 pm »
Anna,

I completely agree with you.  However I must take you up on your point about the church car park.

This is taken from the BP School newsletter dated 25th November 2002 which is available on the school web site:

www.brookmanspark.herts.sch.uk

"School 'Park and Walk' Scheme
The United Reform Church have kindly offered car parking facilities to us to help relieve congestion around the school. The car park will be available from 8.30 am to 9.15 am and from 3.00 pm to 3.30 pm. As community groups use the church hall during the week, parents will need to be aware there may be occasions when the car park is full in the afternoon."

Maybe see you there one morning.

Phil

Offline anna

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2002, 03:22:57 pm »
Phill sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear, I meant to say, that I think the Local Church has offered their car park at non busy times.........and its a shame the pub doesn't do the same.  ( I also read it on the school newsletter.......Just to add quickly that I think Miss Stevens is great, she often stands outside the school to stop parents parking badly or on the zig zags. )

I think it's a great move by the church. Not just for schools, but people can also walk to the shops from there as well. It shows the Church is trying to help the community......so perhaps others should follow!

Anna
x

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2002, 05:16:15 pm »
Tat to go!  Planning permission has been given to convert the shop at 5 Bradmore Green into a Vets surgery, or whatever a Vet's place of business is called.  Good news to end 2002 on.

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2002, 06:07:36 pm »
any bets as to whether "tatty shop" will be superceded by "tatty pavement" ?  
It is intriguing how often the faeces-factor goes up around some veterinary practices ...
(?  makes one wonder what if any, might be the equivalent results for/from doctors' surgeries ... ?   )

Offline eric

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2002, 06:12:16 pm »
Hang on a mo !  What's this "Santa's little helper" moniker that's been put against my name ?   Help ?  Help who ?  With what ?   No one asked me.   Is it regarded as fair-game in Brookmans Park for old men in funny clothes to go round make such unsolicited approaches ?! :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2002, 10:02:57 pm »
Sorry Eric, I'll change it back after Christmas.  Just be grateful I didn't tag 19 posts as 'Fairy', the first choice.  Oh and just wait to see what happens when anyone reaches 400 posts.
;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2002, 10:07:16 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2002, 10:47:17 pm »
And I can guess who that will be, hurr aye!
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: