Brookmans Park Newsletter Community Discussion Forum

General Discussion Boards => Neighbourhood Watch and Local Crime => Topic started by: Editor on April 18, 2017, 10:41:56 am

Title: What to do if you are disturbed by noise - advice from local police
Post by: Editor on April 18, 2017, 10:41:56 am
From the Hertfordshire police Online Watch Link ( (OWL).

With the summer approaching I thought I should pass on some advice from a WHBC ( leaflet titled “What to do if you are disturbed by noise”. (Embedded PDFs below)

If holding a party in your home and/or garden you're advised to let your neighbours know in advance and to turn music down if someone complains. If your neighbours don't already have your phone number this may be the time to address this, rather than have them come to your door with a complaint.

When your party is coming to an end you may need to remind guests to leave quietly to avoid noisy conversations taking place in the street and banging of car doors. This may all be second nature to you, but older children with something to celebrate (while you're away from home?) may need some guidance.

If you're being disturbed by noise, you're advised to first try to talk to the person causing the noise. They may not know they've disturbed you. Explain politely how it affects you.

If that doesn't work, or you don't feel comfortable doing this, you can ring the Environmental Health and Licensing Team on 01707 357242 between 9am and 5pm on a weekday.

But if you want to talk to someone outside these hours you may call the police on 101. On Friday and Saturday nights between 10pm and 3am they have a joint-agency night response team called Operation Reprise. And if the source of noise is anti-social behaviour on the street, you should call 101 at any time.

John Mitchell
Community Coordinator
Neighbourhood Watch