Author Topic: Could you run a railway?  (Read 10206 times)

John_fraser

Could you run a railway?
« on: October 10, 2002, 09:02:20 pm »
Some railway franchises will shortly come up for renewal and The government will shortly be asking for bids to run them. If you’re thinking of making a bid you may like to take the following test. The government will use something similar to see if you are able to run a railway.

Please note that there are no trick questions. All of them are real world problems encountered on the railway’s every day.

1.      Autumn is here and trains have an issue with stopping due to leaves on the lines. Do you
A.      Invest in equipment to keep lines free
B.      Build a lag into your timetable, as autumn tends to happen every year
C.      Set all your trains off five minutes early so that most passengers miss them

2.      Having decided to set the trains off five minutes early do you
A.      Place posters at all stations to inform your customers of the change
B.      Rely on word of moth for the news to be spread as slowly as your trains travel

3.      Once word of the time table change has happened and passengers arrive five minutes early, do you
A.      Do your best to stick to the new time table
B.      Send the trains out at their usual time, ensuring passengers wait 5 minutes longer while not actually missing your targets
C.      A mixture of A and B

4.      There is an incident at Moorgate and passengers have to take the tube to Moorgate. The time is now 17:47 and the 17:35 all stations to WGC is sitting at platform 6. No passengers have got on. The 17:47 semi fast arrives on platform 5. Do you
A.      Send the semi-fast train out first, as it is on time, will become increasing  further ahead of the late slow train and will only inconnivance the people with the shortest journey.
B.      Send the slow train out first so that the fast train is crawls behind it and becomes late.
C.      Wait five minutes so that both trains are late and then do B

5.      having chosen C above. Do you tell passengers which train will depart first
A.      Yes
B.      No.

6.      many of your passengers have to drive to the station. You own a large car park next to a station with fast access to Kings Cross. Do you
A.      Make the parking free. It will encourage people to Park and Ride.
B.      Put the prices up by far more than inflation. Fares are controlled but parking prices aren’t

7.      You believe people travel without paying. Do you
A.      Ensure ticket machines work so that people can buy a ticket before they travel
B.      Do A but also man the stations to encourage people to buy a ticket and make them safer.
C.      Spend the money on ticket inspectors, who are frequently resented by your customers.

8.      You want to upgrade a main line. How much will the cost overrun
A.      It won’t. We’ve spent a fortune doing our home work, why will it over run?
B.      Six times
C.      At least six times, but who knows

9.      Will the upgrade deliver the performance promised
A.      Yes. Why else would we do it
B.      No.
C.      No. But well manage expectations down a bit at a time

10.      Who pays for the resulting fiasco
A.      The taxpayer
B.      The taxpayer
C.      The taxpayer

Offline Birch

• Opinions on many things
  • I am God (no really!)
Re: Could you run a railway?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2002, 04:15:59 pm »
 :D That was so funny and rather bittersweet.
I think a copy of this should be sent to WAGN's regional coordinator.

Birch

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2002, 05:41:02 pm »
I have to say that it was quite a brilliant post.
However knowing John I would imagine that it was meant seriously and not humourously ;)
Reading about the London to Glasgow  fiasco, ie costing 4 times estimate and speed not achieved, I can only say who would want to take a train from London to Glasgow anyway? To fly is cheaper and means there and back same day!
The fact is railways, whilst seemingly a good idea have had their day and it is cheaper and more efficient to drive a car, even with the road delays or fly.
I would like to know how an estimate can be so far out, it sems that anything involving the government does not need accurate costing. Do they not know how to put out a fair invitation to tender and then hold the contractor to contract? Strange ???
regards,
jet
How does "leafing" early stop the train wheels skidding on leaves?
Another thought, why should the motorist subsidise ( via taxes) cheap fares to encourage greedy people to travel into town in search of bigger salaries. If the money is so good as to attract people to waste 15 hours a week on filthy unreliable trains then those same people should pay the correct fare to finance a fully functioning rail network and not free load on the backs of gas guzzling motorists.
End of rant, for now :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2002, 05:46:40 pm by jet »

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 01:18:36 pm »
 To be honest I feel I could run it, but then would people be willing to give me a chance? If I was to run a train system I would put ticket turnstiles like in London on the actual train at the doors. The turnstiles would have to be like those at stadiums which you can't climb over. That way everyone would have to have a ticket who gets on the train. I would then make the trains run on an electric computer system and so there would be no need for drivers. That then means you can pay more people to be inspectors on those trains.

John_fraser

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 11:57:50 pm »
Jet

I’d like to think that its satire, so it’s both serious and humorous. As anyone who travels on our railway system will know, you have to see the funny side or you’d go mad. But even with the state our railways are in, I’d rather travel by train then drive into London. It’s less stressful than being stuck in traffic, cheaper than paying for a parking space, safer than road travel and a lot quicker. When they go wrong they can drive you mad, but on average I couldn’t stand the strain of driving. For short haul distances I also find trains far better than planes. I’m amazed anyone flys to Brussels or Paris when the Eurostar is more convenient and faster.

The road lobby perpetuates the myth that car drives pay more in taxes then they receive back. The claim is based on the assumption that the only costs of road traffic is the cost of building and maintaining the road. In fact road traffic is being massively subsidised.  Here are a few of the things that get forgotten:

• The cost road accidents to the NHS and disability. Per passenger mile road transport is about the most dangerous form of transport.

• Damage to buildings by vibration and pollution. None of the old buildings in our cities were built to survive the vibration of passing lorries and cars. Many have required expensive repairs others have been destroyed and lost forever.

• Likewise the fumes from traffic eats at the stone work of our buildings doing lasting damage. The same fumes also eat at our lungs. The number of people who die in road accidents is far smaller than the number killed by respiratory illness.

• Seepage of oil from garages and refineries pollutes land and waterways. Sometimes they can be fixed, but at great cost. Sometimes the land/river/lake/marsh is lost for generations to come. Likewise there is a low level continual pouring of oil into the sewers by drivers. This makes water treatment more difficult and expensive.

• There are mountains of old tires and rusting bangers slowly degrading the environment. Again ground water is damaged and useful land rendered unusable.

All of this doesn’t even include good old climate change. What the oil companies try to pretend isn’t real or isn’t our fault. Cars are a major contributor and the cost will be unimaginable. Some countries may vanish - e.g. Micronesia – and even Brittan will see its coast line change.

Then there are the costs you can’t put a value to. The communities destroyed by roads, areas cut in half by heavy traffic. As large a barrier to residence as a river once was to our forefathers. The loss of the night sky due to light pollution - in part from street lamps for traffic. Children can no longer play on the street and are not allowed to walk anywhere due to the fear of cars.

Mooniemad

The issue with your ideas are that turnstiles on the trains will hamper people getting on, thereby increasing the amount of time the train has to sit at the station and making the journey longer. Getting rid of the driver removes the flexibility of having someone in charge. Computer systems are not good at dealing with the unexpected and drivers have frequently proved their value. It would also prove highly expensive to install.

John

Offline MC

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2002, 02:04:10 am »
I just had to let you guys know that I started a new job working fairly locally for a company that is providing equipment for thw West Coast Mainline modernisation.

Of course I drive to work.

Am I :
1) good
2) bad
3) a combination of 1 and 2

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2002, 01:12:14 pm »
Dear John,
I am sure if I said white was white you would say it is black ???
First off it is faster and cheaper to fly to Brussels and return in a day than use the Eurostar, for the writer living here anyway.
I have left here at 6 am, had a meeting and survey in Brussels and been back here at home by 4-00 pm. Try that if you can manage to get a train frome here to Waterloo.
Cars burn the fuel relatively efficiently at source, where do you think the ineffeciently generated electricity comes from that the Euro star runs on.
The Euro star was designed to carry London politicians to Brussels and Paris and vice versa, it certainly is not for the plebs going from home to work.
The car is the best way of getting multiples of passengers and or goods from where they are to where they want to go. All other forms of transport need the car for connections, can one imagine taking tools or suitcases on a bus :'(
I would agree totally with the hidden costs environmentally of road transport. These can be addressed by applying known design techniques to give better efficiency, better construction to prevent oil leaks and make cars that are worth looking after rather than throwing away.
So if we get rid of cars, we will need a procession of buses producing more fumes, serving virtually every road.
If any one wants to help the environment and enrich their own live the answer is readilly available. Work from home if possible or live close to where you work, just like most people used to do. Although what will happen to the surplus fuel and what will the government levy the lost tax on.
Another survey today in the post, on transport non the less. This must constitute the most crass example of a form I have ever seen, it surpasses even a Brussels directive. The results must by design be at worthless.
Read it and weep at what they do with your money :(
regards,
jet
p.s. M C I would suggest that yourare just being M C ;)

Offline anna

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2002, 03:04:38 pm »
Our public transport is one of the most expensive in the world.........so for starters that does not encourage people to use, especially when the service is SO bad. As John also mentions, it is also really expensive to Park.

Then our dear Mayor decides to start charging people to drive in London as from January...........could be a good idea to try to cut down traffic.........but what do our transport system do, decide to put the fares up in February!

This country have SO missed the point!!!

If they want to reduce traffic, get a better transport system working, make travel more affordable, then make a charge for driving in London.

Or better still, run a car pull system like they do in the states. Faster lanes and reduced costs for people who travel with more than one in their cars.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2002, 03:38:46 pm »
Jet

I would have to disagree that cars use fuel more efficiently than electric railways. A centrally generated power source will not only be more efficient due to the economies of scale but easier to deal with from a pollution point of view.
Also, flying can be faster but airports are rarely in the place you want to go, whereas railway stations tend to be in the city centre. Obviously everyone's destination is different so will depend on individual circumstances.
The car can never be replaced but it needs to be seen as complementary to other forms of transport, not a replacement for it.

Anna's suggestion of road lanes is a valid one but can't really work in the UK. Our roads are just too small. When I've visited Dallas and Los Angeles I've often used the 'HOV' (High occupancy vehicle) lanes on the freeways, however with 4-6 lanes in each direction it's easy to dedicate one lane to this. In the UK I think a similar scheme is used on the M4 but how effective this is I don't know.

On another note, my train this morning, the 7.58 arrived exactly at 7:55 as NOT advertised - thanks to the posters on this site who alerted me to the new timetable !!

John_fraser

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2002, 03:58:18 pm »
Jet, Id try to agree with you, but I’m worry that you might start to think you were right and that would never do. ;)

My train normally due at 7:28, advertised by a rain smudged piece of paper as due at 7:25 arrived at 7:38 -  Or “Nine minutes late” if you use WAGN’s maths.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2002, 04:05:59 pm »
Dear Sas,
Whilst convenient to use, electricity is less efficient than burning  fuel at source, why do you think it is so expensive for home heating compared to gas. Also we all know that Nuclear power generation is a big problem for the future ( or now?)
The answer is perhaps cars run on fuels apart from petroleum based, and the eradication of Livingstonites, bus lanes and other delay generating stupid ideas.
There are airports convenient for most major cities, although do not think for one moment that I condone air transport.
It is a recorded fact that when the airlines suspended flights due to 911 that global weather changed almost immediately. There are implications to clouds and moisture caused by contrails etc.
Can anyone let me know how I get to my clients, who are mainly industrial estate based without a car, I try to sell on the phone or by faxed/mailed drawings but the problem is most people need to see someone face to face. Selling is based on trust and an honest nature ( which is why the writer is succesfull ;D) plus a big ego :D, very little is due to the product as most people do not know what they are buying anyway and are too lazy to educate themselves to find out.
Regarding light pollution, the residents of this village are the biggest culprits, pointless high power outside lights drinking power all night, money to burn and to hell with the environment :'( If you must, why not put in the smallest wattage bulb which gives a more even light and does not generate shadows by its starkness!
regards,
jet
What it has all got to do with railways,? I don't know but a good medium sized rant anyway :)
Oh by the way JF while you were waiting for the train and then adding to the rush hour congestion, a certain person working from home was still laying in bed, pity there is no icon for a smug, smarm 8) 8) 8) 8)
This latest edition of the jet/JF show was bought to you live from the wilds of Hertfordshire courtesy of the BP website :) :) :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2002, 04:11:44 pm by jet »

Astra

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2002, 04:26:42 pm »
Basically there are two things wrong with our public transport system.

It does not leave from a convenient place
It does not arrive any where near your destination

I have to admit I travel everywhere by car or plane.

It is far quicker to reach eg Paris by plane from BP than by using the Eurostar and much cheaper.

If you take an hour to get to Stanstead or Heathrow, an hour checking in time, 1 hour flying time, 1 hour at the other end to get from CDG airport to the Eiffel Tower you still only take 4 hours to get to the centre of Paris.  It would take me well over 1 and a half hours just to get to Waterloo.  Plus the cheap flight prices - who would want to go by train.  By the time you get to Waterloo you feel like you have been sitting in a dustbin because the trains are so dirty.  Flying to the continent, even flying to Scotland, is much quicker.  The train journey to Edinburgh is just over 5 hours long not including the time it takes to get to Kings Cross.  1 hour to Stanstead, 1 hour checking in time, 1 hour flight, 1 hour to the centre of Edinburgh.  I make that 4 hours plus you also get out the other end feeling like a human being not a piece of garbage.

The trouble with commuters and the like is that they do not see the filth because they see it twice a day - it is natural to them.  I travel on the train very very infrequently and it is a disgusting way to travel.  Blowing your nose after travelling on one of the 125's will show you just how much filth you are breathing in and the constant vibration from the train itself gives you a headache if you try and read a book.  The train prices are exorbitant for these poor standards.  Plus I have never travelled on a train in the last 15 years that has actually run on time.

As for the buses, they drop you off as far away from civilisation as possible so carrying a briefcase and perhaps a bag of shopping for half a mile can be detrimental to your shoulder joints and your spine.  Local buses that used to run to out of the way places are not economical so are scrapped.

The transport system in this country is forcing us to use our cars to travel.

If I were to use public transport to get to work, I would first have to walk to the station from almost the A1000 then wait for a train to WGC then 30 minute walk at the other end.  That makes my journey 1 hour and 10 minutes.  It only takes 18 minutes in the car door to door.  

Public transport - no way.

Astra
« Last Edit: October 15, 2002, 04:28:33 pm by Astra »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2002, 05:45:34 pm »
Basically there are two things wrong with our public transport system.

It does not leave from a convenient place
It does not arrive any where near your destination

Depends where you live. Knowing that I commute and use the train every day, I have chosen to live in the village near the train station. When the train runs right, which to be fair is most of the time, it takes about 50 minutes to get from my house to my school just near the Pimlico Underground Station. I'd like to see you try and do that in a car Astra!

I'm sure if you cycled to Brookmans Park station, caught the train to WGC (or took your bike on the train) and then got a bus the other end you could do your journey in a lot less.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2002, 06:42:40 pm »
I’d love to work from home, but it isn’t always possible for everyone. I can’t ever see dustmen or policemen telecommuting :). But defiantly agree, where possible its far better for everyone.

When the train works it’s my preferred means of transport. Being over six foot, I don’t enjoy flying much, but the train lets me get up and stretch my legs. When flying I find I especially hate the final leg of the journey, the one from the airport to your destination or home. With trains, this is usually much shorter. Likewise I find the vibration on a plane much worse and I get motion sickness if I try to work in a car, so I can get more work done on a train journey. Like James, one of the reasons I moved to Brookman’s Park was for the train connection.

The transport system does indeed force us into cars and it’s a vicious circle. One we start using the car we stop using public transport, which gets cut forcing more people into cars. We need to encourage the people who don’t need their cars out of them and this has to be a carrot and stick. The carrot is better public transport - before the stick is used.

The stick is not road charging, which only forces people who can not pay off the road, rather than forcing off the people who could use the - improved – public system. Further more, as the roads become clearer people will be more willing to pay the charge, so you have to raise it increasingly higher to force few people off the road. The stick should be to make it inconvenient to use your car. This could be done by making the journeys slower and along less direct routes, make it harder to park and have further to walk once you have parked. In other words, exactly what has happened to force people off the trains and busses.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2002, 06:43:13 pm by John_fraser »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2002, 07:45:41 pm »
Dear James,
Why anyone would want to live in BP and work in Pimlico is beyond me? I can only ( probably wrongly as usual) assume that the financial reward is worth more than your time and health?
I would very rarely drive into London except with tools, I allways used the train however with the parking, fares and insulting conditions I turn down work in London because it really is not worth the aggro & filth, both conditions and human which exist there in increasing ammounts.
Why travelling one way has to be made hard to make people travel another way is beyond logic, why can not all methods be freely available so that one can choose the best method to suit the circumstance, or is that too easy?
Dear John if you don't like the journey from airport to home via train, surely its no different than from Waterloo terminus to home via train? At least abroad good quality taxis are available in most major cities for relatively stress free journeys. You must have travelled on some bumpy old planes? even an old cessna is smoother than any train.
Stiil worry not tonybear will sort it all out, why have I the cynical feeling that it will all get worse?
A few hours of rain and Water End floods as usuall, what chance if that tiny problem can not be sorted.
Any one got any comments on the travel questionaire?
regards,
jet

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2002, 08:37:37 pm »
Jet

I find your comment about James living in BP but commuting to Pimlico a bit strange.
I work in Paddington and now have to commute to work by train.
This is not my choice, as I have to work to support myself and family, it is simply because it was the only job I was offered after being redundant from my last (local) job which I used to drive to. You are luckier than me being able to turn down work.
As far as planes, especially an old Cessna, being smoother than trains - I think you're just stretching the truth a little bit.... ;)

Offline anna

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2002, 09:34:15 pm »
In Answer to the actual question of this thread.

No, I couldn't run a railway...........BECAUSE I WOULDN'T WANT TO!

The whole system is so bad it would take years to put right and who would want to take on a job like that.

If you want people to use public transport........give better conditions, lower, more affordable fares, free parking, more trains so you're not pressed up against someones sweaty armpit (a real hazard for someone short like me!) and employ more people to man the stations to make them safer and to check that everyone is paying their fare so that the rest of us who are good honest people are not subsidising those that don't pay.

Some people like to drive, some people like to travel by train............it's personal choice. If I go to London, I hate driving because of parking, but equally hate going by train. One its not safe to travel on at night, plus as mentioned before it's dirty! My answer drive near to town and get a cab!

John_fraser

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2002, 10:49:43 pm »
I know of no country with public transport as bad as ours. Why are the trains so bad here?

My own tuppence worth is that you can’t run them as a business, only as a service. You have to put money in with no expectation of making a profit, because the cost of the infrastructure is vast compared to the potential returns in all but a handful of cases. Is the answer to use taxes to build the fabled “integrated transport system” and gain the returns from increased GDP?

John_fraser

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2002, 10:57:19 pm »
Jet – I’ve not seen that questionnaire as they clearly don’t want to hear from people who actually use the trains. Don’t suppose you could scan it in and let us all see it?

Astra

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2002, 11:02:34 pm »
James

Just because you ride a bicycle does not mean that the rest of us prefer that mode of transport.  Even with cycling to the station (which I will not do), waiting for a train (as long as there are not leaves on the line) and then walking almost a mile at the other end I still could not get to work quicker. I like to keep my working day as short as possible. That day starts when I get in my car to leave home and finishes when I leave my car at night. The idea of making it at least and hour longer is abhorent to me. Unfortunately, time is money. What most people do not realise is the amount of time they waste of their lives travelling to and from work.If you add that to the amount of hours you work per day and work out your hourly rate based on that total, you would be very disappointed at the amount you are being paid per hour. It is ludicrous to work on the other side of London and live in BP. It is a waste of time and resources.

Astra

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2002, 11:12:42 pm »
It is far quicker to reach eg Paris by plane from BP than by using the Eurostar and much cheaper. If you take an hour to get to Stanstead or Heathrow, an hour checking in time, 1 hour flying time, 1 hour at the other end to get from CDG airport to the Eiffel Tower you still only take 4 hours to get to the centre of Paris.
You've been very fortunate with your journey times to both airports Astra.  I wish it was that easy for me. BA ask for short haul (Paris) customers to be there a minimum of an hour - preferably 90 mins before the flight - and at least 2 hours for long haul. Getting to Heathrow in an hour is good going and is probably only possible by car before or soon after 6am - by half six things really slow down.  If you drive yourself, allow at least 90 mins just in case the traffic is rough and add another half hour to an hour to park and ride to the terminal (unless using short-stay which is very expensive). If you go by train it takes about 1 hour 40 mins to take the train from Brookmans Park, change at Finsbury Park, catch the Victoria Line to Kings Cross, the Circle to Paddington and the Heathrow Express to Heathrow. (Assuming all connections work) Then allow 20 mins to 30 mins to get from the train to the terminal depending on which one it is.  Once you have checked in remember that, because of increased security, the passport control bag check can be a lengthy wait - I was in the queue for up to 35 mins one day - this needs to be factored into your travel plans these days.  And of course there are sometimes delays with scheduled take off slots and, if missed, these can delay the trip.  Once you get to the other end it often take up to an hour to clear the airport. Stansted can also be a difficult journey due to traffic, the park and ride is about 20 mins drive from the terminal, the buses seem to be about 15 mins apart so just parking your car and getting to the terminal can add 40 mins to the trip.  Whatever your preferred form of transport to the airport it will probably be pushing it to allow only two hours between leaving Brookmans Park and your scheduled take off time.  I would advise four hours from home to take off.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2002, 11:06:43 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2002, 12:48:32 am »
Jet

I work in Pimlico for the excellent reason that I was offered a job there. I live in Brookmans Park because I have a rental contract which I cannot get out of, a lot of friends in the area, and a lot of other ties locally as well.

I don't think any teachers are in their jobs for financial reasons either! :)

The time on the trian is not wasted time for me - I typically spent it marking maths homework. Something I would find very difficult to do whilst driving - or cycling for that matter.

James

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2002, 02:38:40 am »
Dear James,

I am saddened to see a young person such as your self starting in a new career and knocking your teaching salary when you are not even experienced yet. 
Most people in industry earn much less than those in civil service and they certainly do not enjoy such long holidays, job guarrantees and pension schemes. Think your self very fortunate that your chosen career can go as far as your own limits rather than the limits of the market place economy which industry ( which generates wealth) has to endure.

Dear John,
I will post the questionaire through your door if you mail me your door number, it is a bit cumbersome to scan, made even harder by the fact that being in industry I cannot afford a scanner   now if I worked for the civil service.
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: October 18, 2002, 01:33:17 am by jet »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2002, 11:25:58 am »
Jet

I was not really knocking it, just pointing out that I did not do the travelling for financial reasons as you had suggested. For your information, a newly qualified teacher's starting salary is around 16k anyway!

Anyway, back to the railways...

I see in the Welwyn Hatfield Times that there is a possibility that local rail services are going to suffer to the expense of longer distance (and presumably higher revenue) trains due to the bottleneck at Welwyn Garden City. Joy of joys.

James

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2002, 01:39:11 pm »
For what its worth, I have left home at 6-00 am and been on SITE in Brussels by 8-45 am, the wise will note that there is a time change and that it was 9-45 am British time :) Still faster than train connections and a lot more civilised. ( via stanstead).
Newcastle and return with a site survey by plane  (Heathrow) all within 8 hours, don't even think of driving it and the train well take out a mortgage and don't think you will be in a state to work the next day.
All less polluting than the other methods?
regards,
jet

Sparkie

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2002, 02:29:27 pm »

When I were a lad, I’d cycle down to shops, buy a Hovis loaf for me tea, and home again, all within 10 minutes. Well, I say home, it was a hole in ground with a tarpaulin pulled over to keep the rain out.

Yes, I hear you say:  You were lucky……………………………………………………

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2002, 03:14:27 pm »
Jet

Salaries in the public sector are generally MUCH lower for IT related jobs. (Can't say about your field of work) It's true that holidays may be longer etc and there may be better final salary pensions available . I would say the average salaries for jobs in IT are around two-thirds the commercial rate.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2002, 07:41:49 pm by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2002, 03:56:52 pm »
Dear Sas,
We are not all in IT some of us actually do real things :)
IT is more of a girls job, I allways thought ;D ;D ;D As it involves brains and a repetitive nature :o :o :o
So why do people work for the government rather than the private sector? dare I suggest it is cushy with plenty of benifits? Or do they do it because its caring and good for the country etc etc
and as for you Sparkie, I will have you know that when I was doing my apprenticeship I had to get up 2 hours before I went to bed, work a 26 hour day, pay the gaffer to knock me about and it made me who I am now :'( :'( :'(
regards,
jet
Tarpaulin, that were a luxury, eh don't know their born etc etc etc
« Last Edit: October 17, 2002, 04:00:30 pm by jet »

Sparkie

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2002, 06:38:45 pm »

So, that'll be a Modern Apprenticeship then, Luxury.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2002, 08:23:36 pm »
nay lad a traditional one, five years and still ignorant afterwards, a bit like school , further education and then out into the real world.
We used to have horse **** sandwiches and if we were lucky it were hot horse ****. :o :o
Many a time.............. drone, drone, never did me any harm, etc etc etc :) :) :) :)
regards,
jet
would have loved a modern apprenticeship, just think ignorant after just 6 months :) :) :) :)
Now thats whats wrong with the railways, ever since they got rid of wheel tappers its gone downhill fast    (well slowly depending on the leaves)

Tags: