Author Topic: Hawkshead Lane pothole repair  (Read 33628 times)

Offline Peeplins

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Hawkshead Lane pothole repair
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2014, 07:24:37 pm »
I've also reported it on the website twice, once under 'pot holes' and also under 'rough, uneven or crazing surfaces'

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 04:43:14 pm »
Just called HCC to report Hawkshead Lane, they've now had 8/9 complaints in the last week.  Apparently my complaint will be assessed within an SLA of 2 days and if they are able to fix there and then they will or else it will go on their schedule of works.  Would suggest others joining in and complaining.

HCC.  0300 123 4040 then option 3, option 2
I see that they havent managed to mobilise a team to carry out repairs yet!!!!

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »
Alas no, but then again I wasn't expecting anything more!! Me cynical, never !! ;)

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2014, 10:13:28 am »
I dont have a John Deere so I have avoided using the road for a couple of weeks as it becomes progressively worse, can anyone advise if any improvements have been made please?

Thanks

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2014, 10:26:54 am »
I dont have a John Deere so I have avoided using the road for a couple of weeks as it becomes progressively worse, can anyone advise if any improvements have been made please?

Thanks

Simple answer is no!!

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2014, 02:25:59 pm »

Thanks

They have installed a red barrier just below the turning point that can be brought down to close the road (presumably when it floods).

What this means is that in the last couple of weeks someone from the council / highways has:-

1. Visited the road to check the drainage
2. Send contractors to install the barrier

Yet still nobody in a position of authority seems to have noticed that the road surface needs urgent attention!

If it gets much worse the barrier won't be needed as the road will become unusable anyway.

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:34 pm »
This may have been an environment agency initiative, but totally agree not a sniff of interest from HCC. One of the pot holes is now quite deep!

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2014, 09:24:59 pm »
This may have been an environment agency initiative, but totally agree not a sniff of interest from HCC. One of the pot holes is now quite deep!

The one on the left just before the turning bay as you're going down the hill?

That will seriously damage any car travelling at more than about 5mph

The silence from Herts Highways is deafening.

Offline Adrian

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2014, 12:01:38 am »

It is our elected officials who need to answer.

It is an indictment our Cllr's don't take any interest in this site and the legitimate concerns raised on it.
Our MP reviews, comments and acts on the concerns of locals expressed on this site.
Our PCSO regular contributes and discusses local issues.

So why can't our Cllr's be bothered?

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2014, 04:29:59 pm »
I remember watching an episode of the Good Life when Margo is paying her rates to the council and she only agrees to pay for the services that have been provided!

May consider that, would save myself a fortune!

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2014, 05:07:11 pm »

The one on the left just before the turning bay as you're going down the hill?

That will seriously damage any car travelling at more than about 5mph

So in the interest of taking action, I have just got off the phone with HCC.  This pothole has now been reported as an emergency (ref 201006647297) if anyone wants to follow up. 

I have had a lengthy conversation with a helpful call handler about the state of the entire road, the numerous reports that have been submitted over the past 6 months, including the spate logged in the last couple of weeks, the inadequacy of the website in being able to monitor your fault once logged etc.

Long story short - she was able to provide an update that a local network technician (HCC staff rather than contractor) will be undertaking a site assessment before Christmas to ascertain what the best solution will be (patch or total road resurface  and if resurface the best method).   The downside is that the work will probably not be carried out until after Christmas at the earliest and may not be until the weather starts improving!! So make of that what you will :-)

I will be calling again next week to obtain an update, in the meantime have asked that the pothole is repaired as a matter of urgency.

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2014, 09:04:51 pm »
Well I noticed this morning that the pothole I reported last week has been "patched" (probably the best way to describe it).  Let's hope it lasts until a more permanent upgrade to this section of Hawkshead Lane is completed!  :P

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2015, 06:39:34 pm »
So almost a full year since I started this thread exactly the same type of repair (sic) that I mentioned in my original post has been done.

A few potholes have had a bit of tarmac chucked in them again, the rest hve been left to get worse and worse just as they were last year.

Numerous people on this thread have reported the issue to Herts Highways, I've reported it several times yet nothing has been done in a year to permanently fix a road that desperately needs repairing.

Surely when they go and fill in the odd pothole the contractor doing it must think 'the rest of the road needs doing, I'll raise that'?

Makes you wonder why you bother paying your council tax!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2015, 08:57:57 pm »
I will raise this at the next Parish Council Meeting as an issue and see if we can get some answers for you.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 10:02:18 am »
Its not just the pot holes that are a problem, the loose aggregrate can make the surface slippery and is the cause for many a cracked windscreen and damaged paintwork.

You wouldnt think that in 2015 there are roads that motorists avoid because they are not fit for purpose.

Offline GGDT

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2015, 12:31:16 pm »
I will raise this at the next Parish Council Meeting as an issue and see if we can get some answers for you.

James

Thanks James, appreciated.

Offline Largey

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2015, 10:17:29 pm »
This road is now dangerous and the Highways need to be under no misunderstanding that they are leaving it in such a condition. The road has no footway and is not lit. The road is a serious trip hazard and under health and safety legislation they need to be served an immediate improvement notice.
James one for you....

At some point either a pedestrian or cyclist is going to injure themselves badly and there will be a civil claim which the local authority have absolutely no excuse to fight.

Herts Highways - Wake Up !!!!!!! Do the Right Thing before its too late.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »

Will raise at Council on Wednesday.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 11:20:51 pm »
The main road through Shenley is in places as bad, the residents are very concerned. meanwhile contractors have completley refurbished a footpath in Shenley where you would be lucky to see one pedestrian.

Offline sgoldswo

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2015, 02:58:13 pm »
Drove over this section of road yesterday and  it is shockingly bad. I looked at the Pothole report website and there's an existing complaint "ready for assessment"

Offline Largey

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2015, 05:44:57 pm »
This road has been ignored by Highways now for over a year !

What was the result of discussion at council James ?

This is so dangerous I feel like approaching the H&S Executive to put Herts Highways on notice..... Absolutley disgraceful.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2015, 03:46:23 pm »
I agree, the lower half of Hawkshead Lane is a terrible mess and this is just to let you know that I'm also on the case! 

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2015, 03:49:42 pm »
Well done Grant.

Hopefully a few strings can be pulled to get something done, it's madness this has been going on for so long.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2015, 04:55:28 pm »
I notice on the Herts Direct website that there are already plans to repair that section of road. Screen grab below.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2015, 08:51:58 pm »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2015, 09:33:50 pm »
Looking at roadworks.org it would appear works are planned from 3 Ė 5 August which will involve a full road closure.

Details are

Hawkshead Lane/ from after bridge from Warrengate Road

Description:

Carriageway patching

Permit status:

PAA Granted

Works ref:

RG001BR5201000088939

Offline Largey

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2015, 10:11:09 pm »
Carriageway patching simply does not last. This section of the road has been "Patched" countless times over the last few years and the standard of work has been shoddy.
The "Patch" just falls out after a while leaving the debris strewn along the road and the holes are back again only for us to wait another 12 months before they come along and "Patch" again.
The entire section needs a new surface in order to go the distance....
On the face of it the road looks like a quiet little narrow country lane but the fact is that is carries a significant amount of all traffic from BP heading onto A1 or M25.
Anyway fingers are crossed....

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2015, 10:21:03 am »
I do find it a bit frustrating that given the County Council is the Highways Authority for this road, and I'm the County Councillor for this area, no one on here appears to have asked me about this road.

The road has been a complete mess for some time, in fact a lot of the damage resulted from blocked and poorly maintained drains causing a flood to run down the hill in Dec 13-Feb 14 (the really wet winter).

Repairs were further delayed because after the flooding, there was still water running down the road, in this case from a broken water supply pipe in the bank halfway up the hill. This was finally located and fixed in the last couple of months, indeed I saw the Affinity engineer when delivering election leaflets this year fixing the broken pipe.

I talked to Herts Highways and got the local highways tech to assess the road around a year to 15 months ago. He agreed it needed work. Since I had already committed the funds I control for that year, the highways tech decided to put it through the standard repair process. That process would appear almost complete, with work due in early August.

Patching as described on here doesn't last, however it's not actually designed to. That is temporary patching, expected to last a short period on serious defects (over 40mm deep, over 300mm long) whilst a more permanent fix is organised. Of course a more permanent fix isn't organised, so they temporary fill them, sometimes for months, until they sort out getting it done properly.

That's NOT what is happening on Hawkshead Lane. Major patching, with road closure, can mean 3sqm or 300sqm of properly applied hot tarmac. We will have to wait and see how much is done on the lane, but given my entire annual budget will only resurface 300-400m of road, and I have probably 50+km of road in my area, I'm not going to use it to do further work until I've seen what the central budget is paying for.

The delay in getting roads like this sorted is because the process at County Hall is bureaucratic and admin heavy, there's too few staff for the work, there's not enough money to fix the roads and the Conservatives would rather put £4m extra from increased council tax this year into reserves than spend it fixing more roads. Been fighting to try to make them see that the economy of Herts suffers if the infrastructure is falling apart, but no success yet.

Hope that helps explain, and next time you want to know about roads in Hatfield South Division, drop me an email! Paul.Zukowskyj at hertfordshire.gov.uk

Email edited to avoid spammers.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:51:20 am by Bob »

Offline larrylamb

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2015, 08:49:53 pm »
I do find it a bit frustrating that given the County Council is the Highways Authority for this road, and I'm the County Councillor for this area, no one on here appears to have asked me about this road.

The road has been a complete mess for some time, in fact a lot of the damage resulted from blocked and poorly maintained drains causing a flood to run down the hill in Dec 13-Feb 14 (the really wet winter).

Repairs were further delayed because after the flooding, there was still water running down the road, in this case from a broken water supply pipe in the bank halfway up the hill. This was finally located and fixed in the last couple of months, indeed I saw the Affinity engineer when delivering election leaflets this year fixing the broken pipe.

I talked to Herts Highways and got the local highways tech to assess the road around a year to 15 months ago. He agreed it needed work. Since I had already committed the funds I control for that year, the highways tech decided to put it through the standard repair process. That process would appear almost complete, with work due in early August.

Patching as described on here doesn't last, however it's not actually designed to. That is temporary patching, expected to last a short period on serious defects (over 40mm deep, over 300mm long) whilst a more permanent fix is organised. Of course a more permanent fix isn't organised, so they temporary fill them, sometimes for months, until they sort out getting it done properly.

That's NOT what is happening on Hawkshead Lane. Major patching, with road closure, can mean 3sqm or 300sqm of properly applied hot tarmac. We will have to wait and see how much is done on the lane, but given my entire annual budget will only resurface 300-400m of road, and I have probably 50+km of road in my area, I'm not going to use it to do further work until I've seen what the central budget is paying for.

The delay in getting roads like this sorted is because the process at County Hall is bureaucratic and admin heavy, there's too few staff for the work, there's not enough money to fix the roads and the Conservatives would rather put £4m extra from increased council tax this year into reserves than spend it fixing more roads. Been fighting to try to make them see that the economy of Herts suffers if the infrastructure is falling apart, but no success yet.

Hope that helps explain, and next time you want to know about roads in Hatfield South Division, drop me an email! Paul.Zukowskyj at hertfordshire.gov.uk

Email edited to avoid spammers.

What I dont understand from a commercial point of view is If you are sending a team out to do a temporary repair and all the resources that requires, why not with the operatives and plant there, carry out a proper patch repair. It would mean that the repair is permanent and we dont waste further resources. Please explain why this doesnt happen Paul?

There is a strip of tarmac on the bridge adjacent to Lanterns that breaks up within hours of a temporary repair, It must get repaired once every two to three weeks, how is that good use of your budget?

Offline Paul Zukowskyj

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2015, 10:24:47 pm »

What I dont understand from a commercial point of view is If you are sending a team out to do a temporary repair and all the resources that requires, why not with the operatives and plant there, carry out a proper patch repair. It would mean that the repair is permanent and we dont waste further resources. Please explain why this doesnt happen Paul?

There is a strip of tarmac on the bridge adjacent to Lanterns that breaks up within hours of a temporary repair, It must get repaired once every two to three weeks, how is that good use of your budget?

Please understand, the rules are written by the Conservative Administration at County Hall and they need to comply with Government regulations. The regulations state a pothole over 40mm deep and 300mm across is an immediate safety hazard and unless dealt with within 24hrs or so of notification, should the worst happen, HCC are liable.

The 'temporary' patch is typically done by two blokes in a flatbed van, they most certainly do NOT have the kit to repair it properly. They drop some hot tarmac in and tamp it down with the back of a shovel, so it'll disintegrate in days (the standard timescale for a temp repair is 7days to 1 month). It is a fast reactive service to try and reduce the opportunity for accident victims to sue the council.

The 'proper' repair is not done because it does require more kit, costs more to do, and the capability to undertake it has been cut along with a bunch of other things at County Hall.

It's most definitely not MY budget that funds the temporary repair, I spend the budget allocated to me on works that are both needed and will be done properly. For an example, see the southern end of Holloways Lane.

All I'll finally say is the good people of South Hatfield and Welham Green voted for me to represent them at County Hall. Unfortunately many other residents of Herts voted Conservative, we have had a Conservative administration at County Hall for over 20 years without a break, and they put reserves and balancing the books before all else, so our roads are destined to get worse. They have refused to put more money into roads, instead cutting the funding massively, to the point where the system is at breaking point. But that's what the majority of residents in Hertfordshire voted for. That's democracy and local politics. If you want better roads, perhaps not voting Conservative might be your best option?

edited to correct quote box
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:30:23 pm by Bob »

Tags: