Author Topic: Village broadband and high-speed optic fibre  (Read 259452 times)

Offline Jane B

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Village broadband and high-speed optic fibre
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2004, 10:09:33 am »
Thanks everyone for your response. I knew I could rely on this website for help! Alot better than the BT support (& alot quicker!!) Latest update - BT Engineer coming round on Saturday as they now think that I am unable to receive broadband  ??? (sorry kids - not my fault this time!) I could be out of their range, even thought I received an email saying I could receive it - who knows - watch this space........ & once again, thanks for all your help with this.

Jane

Offline Largey

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2004, 11:26:54 am »
Jane,
Broadband where you are is def. possible. Those of us along Swanland have broadband so they shouldn't give you that excuse.

Keep putting the pressure on them as sometimes they can swop lines to find a more suitable bit of wire !!

Paul

Offline Jane B

« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2004, 08:41:45 pm »
Hurrah - the engineer turned up and after alot of 'line searching' I now have broadband! at last! thanks for all your replies & your help - i was worried it was getting a bit techinical but at least I knew all the right questions to ask. Hope you're able to get it soon flw67. Thanks again! :)

strata

« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2005, 07:43:38 pm »
It looks like BT is upgrading all customers to "the fastest their line can handle or 2Mb"!  :D ;D :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4252663.stm

http://www.bt.com/broadband/2mb/faq.html

Wonder what the speed will be in Brookmans Park!

John_fraser

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2005, 08:15:16 pm »
Sam Knows will tell you if you can get ADSL and at what speed. Last time I checked I could get 1Mb (which I have) but not 2Mb.  

When ADSL started the limit on the speed and who could get it was more a practical one imposed by BT than a physical one. Last year they changed these limits to allow more people onto ADSL and at higher speeds. They may change the rules again, so we may get 2Mb yet.

John_fraser

« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2005, 10:14:13 pm »
Found this site which can calculate the theoretical maximum speed your line will support (click here). Mine goes up to 3meg :)

I have heard that BT is installing equipment that will allow each line to run run at its maximum theoretical speed, so this might be interesting.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2005, 09:43:08 am »
According to this site my line is still only capable of 512k. My noise margin is still only 6dB so I guess that's the reason why.

Note that this site doesn't test your line, just makes a calculation based on line attenuation and noise margin which your router gives.

Offline Jane B

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2006, 09:09:16 am »
Hi
Does anybody in Hawkshead Lane have BT Broadband? Or if not how do you connect? Once again Im at my wits end with BT  >:(& would just like to know if anyone else can get connected. I'm not particularly great with technical stuff but I would like to be connected for my kids sake! We're at the bottom end down the hill.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jane

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:23 am »
We have tried and failed to get broadband in Hawkshead Lane.  We were originally told we could have it but it turned out that the route from us to the exchange is too long.  This all happened back end of last summer and I am sure at one point someone told my son that BT were going to do something about it this Spring.

I suppose it is possible that some properties are closer than we are enabling it. 

Maybe John at the RVC could advise.  I can't believe they are on dial up?

Regards.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Jane B

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2006, 12:01:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply Mallow

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2006, 01:11:44 pm »
It would be likely that the RVC would have it's own wide area network using leased lines rather than ADSL which is essentially a 'home-user' technology, therefore it would probably be irrelevant whether RVC used dial up or not.

It might be worth bearing in mind that there are other suppliers of broadband other than BT. For example, Bulldog (Cable and Wireless) might be able to offer something as they can take over the line between you and the exchange (LLU or local loop unbundling if you're interested). Not sure if Bulldog can offer anything in this area though. It is true that the majority of broadband suppliers re-sell BT broadband.

Satellite is another alternative although this is expensive - perhaps you and some neighbours could share it, I share my ADSL connection with my neighbour, it isn't difficult to do with cheap and readily available equipment.

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2006, 08:18:41 pm »
Hi Jane  B,

According to a BBC News story dated 18th August 2004 ".... BT said it was scrapping exchange distance limits." and "From 6 September, anyone living more than 6km from an ADSL (Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line) exchange will be able to get a 512Kbps connection."

Full story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3575964.stm

If it were me I'd go bug BT again!

Good luck,
supersonic
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:21:51 pm by supersonic »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2006, 09:50:45 pm »
Whilst BT may have scrapped absolute distance limits, this is not the only limitation.

Line quality ie noise and attenuation and other parameters have an effect and may mean that some lines, even though they may be within the distance limit, may not support ADSL.

Hence the suggestion earlier, that BT may be replacing or upgrading lines at some point in the future.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2006, 10:17:39 pm »
Has anyone noticed their connection slowing down over the weekends recently? Mine was really sluggish yesterday. The same thing happened a few Sundays ago. I live on Moffats.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2006, 10:30:02 pm »
Just to let people know, I have just merged six existing ADSL threads in order to keep similar discussions together.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2006, 09:49:53 am »
Dave

Unfortunately as broadband becomes ever more popular, sluggish response at peak times is becoming more common.

ADSL is marketed as a 'cheap' form of internet access, generally with no guarantees of service quality or availability. One characteristic of ADSL is contention. This means that whilst you may have a 1Mb connection this is shared with a number of other lines. Generally this is 50:1, ie for every 50 users there will be 1Mb of 'real' bandwidth to the internet. The assumption is that as not everyone is downloading simultaneously, most of the time you will get acceptable throughput. More expensive ADSL packages, often targeted at businesses will have a lower contention of perhaps 20:1 or 10:1.

A few years ago when a lot of the initial investment was made in ADSL equipment at the exchanges, there were relatively few users, and consequently contention was rarely a problem. However, as more and more people have taken up ADSL, fuelled in part by a big drop in prices, contention has become more of a problem.

As weekends are clearly going to be a popular time for people using their home internet connection, this is going to be increasingly experienced.

It's worth noting that this is also an issue with cable (although not available in BP at present) which although it uses different technology, generally ethernet based, still uses contention to enable a cheap service.

There is not much you can do about this without changing your ISP or package, some ISP's will be better performing than others. There are plenty of stats available eg www.adslguide.org.uk.

It's also worth mentioning that ISPs are increasingly using 'traffic shaping' especially at peak times. This means that certain types of traffic will be throttled, so for example, web traffic may be unrestricted, but peer-to-peer music downloads may be heavily restricted. This is an attempt to reduce the problems of contention for time sensitive traffic.

So whilst this doesn't help you as such, hopefully it explains why your service may have deteriotated.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2006, 10:00:45 am »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. I have BT Business 1000, which is a 20:1 contention rate. I only use it for email, reading news online and updating brooky dot com.  :)  Mind you, I have four computers working off it and sometimes there are three of us online at the same time. (Sad or what)

I tried shopping around once and almost signed up with another package only to realise there were extra costs (and downtime) in changing my line etc.

David

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2006, 10:58:23 am »
I've not had much experience with BT Business Broadband but you'd have thought it would be pretty quiet and uncontended at weekends - unless of course you're actually just lumped in with all the home users but at less contention.

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2006, 04:56:29 pm »
If you are on a 1Mb connection would you be on a different Contention set to a 500 Kb connection, or would it be in effect 25:1.

Is the Contention ratio related to individual ISP, or BT wholesale.

I presume the contention ratio starts at the local exchange (Potters Bar) so are there any ISP's in the local exchange??

I am sure someone might be able to explain it all in 300 words.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2006, 05:03:36 pm »
When I signed up for BT Business 500 it was with a contention ratio of 20:1, when I upgraded to 1000 they said it was still 20:1. I asked once why I am paying £29.99 a month when pals are paying half that. They said you get better kit at the  exchange, a better contention ration (as opposed to 50:1) and your line gets priority attention (with other business customers who depend on the link for work, and therefore pay more) when things break down. So, I don't think the contention ratio is directly related to the speed of your connection, but rather to the cost of your monthly package.

David

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2006, 04:59:19 pm »
Someone mentioned somewhere about broadband via satelite - can anyone let me know the advantages and disadvantages of that?

cheers,
Aidan

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2006, 05:14:15 pm »
Generally broadband via satellite is expensive compared to ADSL.

I think there are two main types, the cheaper is only one way, ie data comes down from the satellite but upstream data is handled through a normal modem and a phone line. The more advanced version is two way but this is expensive.

Also, because the data has to travel so far, latency can be a problem for time sensitive data, eg voice or video.

Look at http://www.bentleytelecom.co.uk/ for an example, they advertise a service 'from £75/month'.

The only advantage really is that it can be the only form of broadband available in some isolated spots
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 05:18:30 pm by sasquartch »

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2006, 10:11:06 pm »
The Guardian is reporting good news for BT customers who are prepared to sign up with BT Broadband for another year. We are in line for upgrades up to 8MB, depending on age of kit at the exchange and distance. Click here for more information.

David
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 10:12:47 pm by David Brewer »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2006, 09:15:36 am »
In Peplins Way I'm still unable to get any more than 512k - although other people close by have apparantly got 1M lines in some cases.

Does anyone in BP get better than 1M ?

I think that because of the distance to the Potters Bar exchange we will always be at the lower end of broadband speeds until such time that equipment is installed closer to the village.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2006, 12:55:46 pm »
Another report about broadband speeds increasing....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4773880.stm

John_fraser

« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2006, 10:11:46 pm »
This weekend BT is rolling out ADSL Max. With this service you won’t have your line’s speed banded (e.g. 512Kb, 1mb, 2Mb etc). Instead the line can operate at the higest speed it can reach, depending upon its quality – e.g. line attenuation etc. For example my should will increase from 1Mb to a little over 3Mb. The good news is that the exchange in Potters Bar has ADSL Max. I’m not sure if all the lines come via there, but you can check your phone here

You may need to ask your ISP to upgrade you and they may charge you for the service. If they do you should look at changing ISP to one who charges just on data download.

Offline Bada Bing

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on: April 02, 2006, 09:24:17 pm »
Hi John,

This sounds very interesting... I have been having an ongoing battle with BT to upgrade me to 1MB, they say I am too far from Potters Bar for an upgrade from 512K but they will offer me a new line (down the same wire) at 1MB - Crazy.

Do you know if all BT customers will get this automatically, or, do you have to request/subscribe to it. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Offline Sherlock

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on: April 15, 2006, 03:35:52 pm »
I live in Westland drive and have been unable to access broadband since i moved here 5 years ago

Does everyone else have this problem Any suggestions??

sarg3

« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2006, 06:41:50 pm »
im in oaklands ave,, and use demon, 1.1 connection. Give them a try

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2006, 06:46:29 pm »
I've merged this thread with an existing thread about local broadband connectivity.

David

Tags: