Author Topic: Village broadband and high-speed optic fibre  (Read 278107 times)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Village broadband and high-speed optic fibre
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2004, 02:40:02 pm »
John - yes, but realistically who wants to have an old, probably noisy PC, on all the time just to use as a firewall at home.
The cost of electricity over a couple of years would probably pay for a dedicated router / firewall appliance of the sort appropriate for home use.
Linux is great, free, but not easy for even reasonably techie people to configure. iptables / ipchains is the usual firewall software used with Linux and the configuration files are not easy !
So I wouldn't recommend anyone goes down this path unless they are a Linux hobbyist.

Offline trinity

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2004, 09:55:21 pm »

Not as dear as you might expect. My employer put a dedicated FW in at a cost of £200. This also provides me with a Linux development box, so it is very over speced. Pick up an old PC, too old to run XP on and hence cheep, install two lan cards, download a copy of Linux and you could set one up for about almost nothing.

That is a good point, that didn't occur to me. Might want to use NetBSD rather than Linux on the grounds that it is lighter, but even so it is a good idea.

Offline trinity

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2004, 10:00:50 pm »
John - yes, but realistically who wants to have an old, probably noisy PC, on all the time just to use as a firewall at home.
The cost of electricity over a couple of years would probably pay for a dedicated router / firewall appliance of the sort appropriate for home use.

Something that a friend of mine did a few years ago was to replace the PSU fan with a heat sink. This was made from a largish strip of sheet steel, folded, and bolted onto the PSU. Worked a treat and was silent.

Linux is great, free, but not easy for even reasonably techie people to configure. iptables / ipchains is the usual firewall software used with Linux and the configuration files are not easy !
So I wouldn't recommend anyone goes down this path unless they are a Linux hobbyist.

*Shrug* I never found them any problem. And given that the number of ports you really need to have open is somewhere between zero and a very small number there isn't that much to do. OK, so configuring firewalls might require a bit of knowledge about what you're trying to achieve, but in general I wouldn't say that Linux was "not easy for eveen reasonably techie" people to configure.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2004, 04:15:46 pm »
You still end up with a very big firewall, even if you can make it quiet !
The beauty of the 'appliance' modem/router/firewall/switch/wireless is that they are tiny, use next to no power, easy to configure and reliable. These days they're only about £100 which is hardly a lot.
Clearly Trinity you're a  techie, just like me, but I still maintain iptables is not trivial to set up and a non-technical person would not have a chance, realistically.

Offline trinity

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2004, 07:45:45 pm »
You still end up with a very big firewall, even if you can make it quiet !
The beauty of the 'appliance' modem/router/firewall/switch/wireless is that they are tiny, use next to no power, easy to configure and reliable. These days they're only about £100 which is hardly a lot.

Way less than that, if you don't want the wireless access point. But this is what I meant by standalone firewalls not being cheap - John is right that you can make one, but that is sort of cheating given his "hardware" preference :-)

You could in principle build your own...

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2004, 06:22:59 pm »
Update !!

Finally got ADSL in and working !

Originally told that I could not get ADSL as line quality was too poor (although at 5.3km from exchange within distance). Subsequently reported a fault but BT said they could not help.

However, the following week the line was coming up as OK and so I re-submitted my order to Plusnet. 7 or 8 days later everything went through and I'm now up and running.

Whether complaining to BT had anything to do with it I don't know. I'm convinced that something has been changed.

I'm using a Netgear DG834G wireless router and everything works fine. I'm getting nearly 60k/sec download speed so the link must be working pretty well.

Offline Dilbert

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2004, 07:15:30 pm »
I am about to join the broadband masses but I want to use my existing telephone line and therefore it will be shared with my monitored alarm system (ADT).

Obviously, I am keen that I take the necessary action to ensure that the broadband will not prevent alarm signals being sent over the line. I have now spoken with ADT on two occasions and the supplier once, but received different advice from each conversation !!!!

Is there anyone out there who also has an alarm system and broadband on the same telephone line and if so what action did you take ????

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2004, 08:28:25 pm »
There are two types of alarm system - the 'Redcare' type which uses a continuous signal on the line which is NOT compatible with ADSL, and most others which simply use a dial out modem arrangement, which should be fine with ADSL.

You need to find out from your ALARM service provider which system is used, BT will often say it is incompatible with any alarm system which is not true.

Offline Dilbert

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2004, 01:57:36 pm »
Thanks - I know that I don't have 'Redcare' so sounds like I should be ok.

Guess I can get it installed and then get ADT to test it.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2004, 04:50:47 pm »
Hi,

I've seen a 1Mbps service advertised in Metro (company is Bulldog Broadband) for £19.99 per month.

Could someone let me know whether we can use all this service in BP?

They also do a 512Mbps service for £15.99 per month - does anyone know anything about them?  Are they any good?

cheers for any help,
Aidan

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2004, 08:42:28 pm »
I believe we can only get 512kbps here, or at least that's what i was told when I got Broadband. There is an excellent site at www.adslguide.org where you can compare the many ADSL providers for reliability, customer service etc.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2004, 08:59:15 pm »
Cheers, I'll give it a go - always nice to get honest feedback from an undoubtably honest Spurs Fan.  I wouldn't have trusted adivce from any old gooner.

Aidan

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2004, 10:24:54 pm »
Thanks Aidan  :D

I forgot to add that you can't get Broadband in the village, it's too far from the exchange, though there are odd pockets where it reaches, like some parts of Peplins Way, I believe, and half-way down Brookmans Avenue. You can do a test on the providers' sites usually, to see whether you can get it or not.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2004, 10:28:00 pm »
Don't know anything about bulldog, but with broadband, it does seem to be a case of you get what you pay for. I'm with http://www.zenadsl.co.uk - following advice from other people on this site - and they are brilliant, both in terms of uptime (amount of time you have a connnection) and their technical support is fantastic. O, and I don't work for them either....

I have installed around 5 broadband connections in Brookmans Park for various individuals in the last two months or so, and every single one has had to have BT come out and fit an upgraded filter to cope with the noise given off by the transmitter. So be warned, if you do order broadband and can't get it to work, that could well be the problem.

The one company I would not recommend is Tiscali - although they are very cheap and cheerful, their technical support is horrendous - please feel free to email me for further details.

James
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 10:28:59 pm by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2004, 10:30:38 pm »
Thanks Aidan  :D

I forgot to add that you can't get Broadband in the village, it's too far from the exchange, though there are odd pockets where it reaches, like some parts of Peplins Way, I believe, and half-way down Brookmans Avenue. You can do a test on the providers' sites usually, to see whether you can get it or not.

As far as I am aware, you can get broadband in the vast majority of the village. I know of people in Mymms Drive, Calder Avenue, Georges Wood Road, Moffats Lane, Brookmans Avenue, Peplins Way, Bradmore Way, Pine Grove and Bradmore Green with it working fine. I think the only dodgy area is the far end of Peplins/Bradmore past the school.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2004, 10:59:33 pm »
Thanks James, I'll check things out...

Aidan

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2004, 01:10:11 am »
I'm with Plusnet who consistenetly do well in surveys for customer service, reliabaility etc. I'd thoroughly recommend them, I went with them myself out of recommendation.

As far as I know 512k is the limit for ADSL in the village.

Also, I believe Bullog are one of the few companies to have taken advantage of LLU (local loop unbundling) and DO have a presence at Potters Bar excahnge. So it may be that whilst a 512k service is unavailable on a line provisioned by BT, Bulldog may be able to offer 1M.

It's worth mentioning that BT are trialling updated ADSL that can cope with line lengths of up to 10km, so I think it only a matter of time before faster speeds are available to all BP addresses as my Peplins Way line is I think 5.3km from the exchange.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2004, 12:07:37 pm »
Great thanks.  so many choices!

sarg3

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2004, 12:56:18 am »
With demon.co here,,,  Oaklands Ave,, no problems at all.  Would recommend them!  

Offline MC

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2004, 07:05:52 pm »
I used to use Eclipse. They were excellent

Mark

Offline Dilbert

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2004, 01:58:55 pm »
I'm another Plusnet user and although only joined very recently my experience has so far been good.

They also had to get BT to visit to fit the filter as I couldn't get connected due to the trasmitter 'noise'.

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2004, 02:12:26 pm »
Can you tell me more about this filter, please? Although I don't have a problem (I'm with Nildram), I wonder what the 'noise' is that you get, and whether I could get a better download/upload speed with this filter?

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2004, 05:33:08 pm »
well i would tell you more but as i'm a dodgy gooner you probably wouldn't want my advice ;D

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2004, 05:45:49 pm »
Aw Shads!

I'm a peace-loving Spurs fan!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2004, 05:46:27 pm »
The filters sometimes fitted to BP phone lines are low pass filters designed to remove any interference from the high power transmitters at Bell Bar.
I (probably illegally) rewired my phone cable after some building work and found that without the filter radio was clearly audible in the background. With the filter in place the radio disapperared. I have broadband and it is not affected by the filter so would guess that newer filters are broadband compatible in that only frequencies above those used by the [high frequency] broadband signal are filtered out.
It is likely that some people have older filters that cut off much lower frequencies and that these need to be replaced before broadband will work.

Oh, I'm a gooner too...

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2004, 05:49:18 pm »
god help us - this used to be a Spurs village.  We've been overrun...

Offline shads

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2004, 05:51:33 pm »
just like the spurs team ;Dor is it run over ;)

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2004, 06:01:20 pm »
Thanks Sas...................

I have the 'usual' microfilters on all of the phone sockets, and they seem to cut out the annoying Indian music we had before we got the old filters. I guess they are enough, unless you would recommend the BT fitted ones too?

Shad, I think you must be a bit worried about what Spurs will do next season with a good manager. I don't worry, I know Arsenal are better. I just hope Spurs improve!

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2004, 06:58:46 pm »
The RF filters and the microfilters are NOT the same thing.

The RF filter is installed on the incoming BT line before the master socket. It's purpose is to filter out any RF interference from radio transmissions. It passes the phone AND broadband signals to the master socket.

The microfilters on the other hand, are used to split the incoming signal into the telephone and ADSL components, the ADSL signal being a high frequency sometimes audible as a high pitched whine.

You must have microfilters for ADSL to work.

However the RF filter will only have been fitted if there was a problem with radio transmissions being audible and should have no effect on broadband. However, as I said earlier, old RF filters fitted long ago may not be broadband compatible as they may filter out the ADSL signal as well as the radio interference.

Offline Spurs fan

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2004, 07:53:14 pm »
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain that Sasquartch. I guess as we don't seem to have a problem, I'll stick with the microfilters, but it's good to know that there is something else we could try if we develop a problem. I hadn't heard of anyone having filters before the master socket.
:)

Tags: