Author Topic: Village broadband and high-speed optic fibre  (Read 259001 times)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Village broadband and high-speed optic fibre
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2004, 08:08:28 pm »
Just to clarify the RF filters are BT property and are not fitted by the customer. The microfilters are though.

Offline Birch

• Opinions on many things
  • I am God (no really!)
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2004, 07:38:59 pm »
Cut out the middle man (BT) is what I say!!

I've got NTL cable and no BT connection.  Now it's not overly cheap and I don't think it's overly fast, but generally it's a reliable service and you can get 1Mb and no interferance.  Well at you can in WG.

Birch

Offline Spurs fan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2004, 07:44:26 pm »
Unfortunately with a lot of the roads being private here, we can't have cable. They had to have everyone's agreement to dig up the pavement to lay the cables, and didn't get it.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2004, 08:39:17 pm »
If you can get cable fine - but not available in BP.

Also NTL have truly dire customer service, whatever people say about BT it's generally easy to speak to someone about any problems you have.

I think cable can be cheaper but only if you want to take out a TV and phone package with internet access.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2004, 01:04:06 pm »
I have heard that some people have had problems with NTL, but I've had no problems at all.  They've been v. helpful.  I phoned once about a problem with my TV reception and a couple of hours later a man came round to fix it!!  Now with BT, I'd still be trying to phone and get past the automated answering machine.

Ah, so living in BP has it's drawbacks.  I can't believe people would stop having cable laid...that so not forward looking.

Well as you guys are demographically financially better off than WG, perhaps receiving your Internet connection via a satellite link would be better.  it would also let your houses blend in better with the surrounding area (ie. the transmitting station  ;)

I read that you can receive 1 and 2Mbps links with a company called AVC broadband for £39 and £58 respectively.

John_fraser

« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2004, 04:08:32 pm »
BT have scrapped the ADSL distance limit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3575964.stm

Offline Largey

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2004, 04:50:07 pm »
Is there anyone in the village who has wanted broadband but have not been able to have it supplied?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2004, 06:52:06 pm »
One of my neighbours in Peplins Close still cannot get it, apparently due to line quality.

Possibly this will change soon as the distance limit is being increased.

Offline Largey

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2004, 07:07:01 pm »
Thanks Sasq!!!
Hopefully things will improve but the line quality at the end of the day could be down to bad copper I guess.
We have been working with Nildram lately and they have been helpful in getting people on. If your neighbour has internet connection already they can mail us and we'll see if we can help.
Once the whole village is on at least 512k then maybe we can play with some interesting stuff.
Paul

rex

« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2004, 02:22:14 pm »
Hi guys

I found this thread by searching on Google for exactly this issue (I hope you don't mind me crashing in on you...?!?)

Can you tell me how the ADT question was resolved? Do they have an alarm system that proves happily compatible with ADSL?

Would be hugely grateful for any feedback on your experience. Thanks ever so.

Richard

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2004, 03:06:32 pm »
You would need to check with ADT or whoever the alarm provider is.

As has been stated before, there are different systems, the ones which use a dial up connection should be fine, ones that use a continuous carrier (Redcare I believe) are not.

rex

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2004, 03:20:12 pm »
Cheers for the reply.

Richard

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2004, 12:39:20 am »
Hi,

I've just ordered broadband [HURRAH!!!] but I'm a little confused as to what extra security I need.  I have fully updated McAfee Virus thingy, but no 'personal firewall plus' or 'privacy service'.  With Broadband I have heard that I need a firewall - is this correct or do I need something else?  Any good product recommendations from anyone?

Thanks a lot,
Aidan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 10:24:02 am by admin »

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2004, 01:04:51 am »
Aidan, at the recommendation of the IT guru at my office I and other members of my family all use Zone Alarm which can be downloaded free at http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=staticcomp_za though for added security I've also now supplemented it by upgrading my Norton AntiVirus to Norton Internet Security, which includes the Norton Firewall. I run both of them at the same time with no problem at all.

I have to say that I prefer Zone Alarms because if it's not certain what to do it asks if a program should be allowed to connect to the internet or denied permission to connect, and asks if you want to allow the that answer always or only that once, whereas almost every time Norton seems to just give a message saying "rules have automatically been created for the Norton Internet Firewall".

supersonic
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 10:26:15 am by admin »

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2004, 01:36:59 am »
thanks Supersonic, I'll check it out.

Aidan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 10:27:10 am by admin »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2004, 11:13:34 am »
I have a firewall on my Belkin ADSL modem wireless router. I also have a firewall active through Norton Internet Security. Can any of our technology experts say whether both are needed? The reason I use both is that, as Supersonic writes above, the Norton updates its firewall settings regularly, whereas the firewall settings for the Belkin have not been updated since I bought it a year ago.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2004, 12:24:28 pm »
Your ADSL firewall won't stop outgoing data, so should a worm or spy ware get onto your PC it won't stop them communicating out.

Also, multiple firewalls give layers of security. Should a vulnerability be found in one firewall, the next should keep you safe. I have three Firewalls at home.

But don’t assume you only need a firewall after you get broadband. A firewall is every bit as important as a virus scanner. A modem connection is not safer than broadband just because it’s not “always on.” You PC can be compromised in seconds.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2004, 01:48:50 pm »
Thanks All, most helpful
Aidan

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2004, 03:38:59 pm »
If you have Windows XP with service pack 2 installed (and you'll need broadband to download it because of its size) you'll get a pretty good firewall built in to Windows XP.

For most people this will be adequate and probably a lot more stable than seperate products.

There's nothing wrong with having a personal (ie software) firewall running in conjunction with a hardware devive but I would NOT recommend more than one software firewall. Either use XP's excellent built in firewall (well at least it's excellent with SP2) or ZoneAlarm, but not both.

Offline Aidan Winwood

• GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2004, 03:46:58 pm »
Thanks, so I can use XPs firewall once I download the new service pack, and then I won't need to buy McAfee's firewall plus.  

Super - I think what I have discovered is that there are many different ways to do this!!

Aidan

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2004, 04:10:30 pm »
Aidan

As you know I am totally non-technical.  However, I had heard that there could be problems with Service Pack 2.

Someone technical may be able to tell you what the problems might be.

Mary

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2004, 05:11:57 pm »
Mary

I support hundreds of PCs of various specs and must have updated at least 50 PCs with SP2 and have had no problems whatsoever.

The only occasional issue I've seen is that a few websites use a pop up window for logging in, and SP2 by default will block pop-ups. But it still tells you what has been blocked so its not difficult to see what's happened.

Unless you have any unusual applications I'd go ahead.

In fact, many of the problems reported concern personal firewalls which you will no longer require.

In my opinion the increased (though not foolproof!) security in SP2 makes it well worth installing especially for non-technical users.

Hope that helps.

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2004, 12:34:36 am »
Hi Aiden, a quick reminder that whichever Firewall you install, like a Virus Checker it's only going to be as good as it's last update, so remember to keep the automatic update feature(s) turned on.

Also, another recomendation from our office IT guru is https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 Once you've installed your firewall you can do a stealth check to ensure that your ports are fully hidden.

Good luck - and enjoy being broadly banded!

supersonic
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 12:39:08 am by supersonic »

Offline Jane B

« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2004, 11:08:53 am »
I live in Warrengate Road & am having extreme difficulty installing Broadband. After 3 weeks of being 'active', 2 modems & countless telephone calls to BT I still cannot gain access  >:(. Error 680 - no dial tone. I am in an area that has only just been able to receive broadband so I am assuming that this may be teething problems. I just wondered if there is anyone else in the Water End are that can actually receive broadband?

Thanks

Jane

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2004, 02:14:19 pm »
It sounds like the PC is having trouble with its setup rather than any problem with broadband itself.
It sounds like you're using a USB modem which may not be set up correctly or you haven't got filters installed correctly.
Personally I'd always recommend a hardware router such as the Netgear DG834G (Amazon £79.99) and dispense with the USB device for reasons discussed earlier in the thread.
If you cannot fix it send me a private message and I'll try and assist further

SQ

Offline flw67

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2004, 02:53:27 pm »
Jane, we also had that error message, we are in Peplins Close and after numerous calls to BT and the engineer coming out, it has been said that we cannot have broadband, even thought we should be able to and are well within the distance from the exchange.  The problem is our cable that runs from our road to the box on Moffats or Brookmans Avenue (not sure which) is just not good enought to support broadband, so although you live in an area that should now be able to get it does not necessarily mean you will.  Its very frustrating because peolpe just a few hundred meters from us in Peplins Way have it.  Maybe this is not your problem but get BT round to check first.

Offline Jane B

« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2004, 03:06:47 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll mention that to BT (if I can ever get through)! - its made me think I may not going mad after all!  :)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2004, 09:42:49 pm »
Rather than get BT round again you could try the following :

Try the modem on another PC, perhaps a borrowed laptop.

Try the modem through a powered USB hub. USB modems tend to draw a lot of power and many unpowered modems draw too much current from some computers. A suprisingly common problem I have seen myself.

Try a modem / router that is powered and connects to the PC through an ethernet connection rather than the USB port

Disconnect the front of the BT master socket and plug your splitter directly into the line - this will elimnate any problems with your internal phone wiring.

Let me know what make of modem (Voyager is common with BT broadband)

What lights are on on the modem ?

Any other information ? eg has it ever worked, is it intermittent, does the green light come on ?

Error 680 basically means that the modem has not synchronised with the exchange end rather than anything to do with dial tones.

SQ

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2004, 12:25:39 am »
It might also be worth checking the filter - not the micro filter supplied with the modem, but you may have one on your line just where it enters the house, before the line gets to the telephone box.

It appears (i don't know, I've only been living in BP 5 years!) that about 20-30 years ago, BT put filters on a lot of the lines in the village to deal with the noise from the radio mast at the top of Pine Grove. It also appears that these filters block the broadband signal from properly getting through. This has been the problem with installations I have done in Bradmore Green, Bluebridge Road, Moffats Lane, Georges Wood Road and Shrublands, so might well be the case with you as well!

The solution has been for BT to come out and fit an upgraded version of this filter on the line instead.

James
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 12:26:59 am by James_Bentall »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline flw67

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2004, 09:17:25 pm »
Jane
if after all this it does turn out to be BT's line and you have been ringing their premium rate helpline , if you chase BT they will refund you

Tags: