Linked Events

• WHC Cabinet Housing & Planning: October 15, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Housing need for th: October 23, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - reserve date for to: October 29, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - update of other evi: November 13, 2014
  • BPRA update to WHBC Local Plan public meeting BP URC: November 27, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Local Plan consulta: December 11, 2014
  • WHC Local Plan consultation document - to ratify Cabinet Hou: December 17, 2014
  • Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's 7.30pm: March 03, 2015
  • Local Plan public meeting at Memorial Hall 8.15pm: March 05, 2015

Author Topic: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms  (Read 591929 times)

Offline peppermint

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms
« Reply #1470 on: September 23, 2016, 01:06:03 pm »
This is worrying when you consider that the RVC own the majority of the land between brookmans park and potters bar !

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #1471 on: September 23, 2016, 02:00:31 pm »
This is worrying when you consider that the RVC own the majority of the land between brookmans park and potters bar !

The RVC have already submitted all the land they own several years ago in the Local Plan, but most of it failed the first SHLAA - (Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment) because it does not adjoin an urban boundary.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=5987&p=0

Only three RVC sites are now considered Suitable, Available & Achievable in the SHLAA. BrP4 West of BP, BrP6 South of BP and BrP7 Little Heath.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=11228&p=0

Offline North Mymms Green Belt

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1472 on: September 25, 2016, 08:43:18 am »
Gascoyne Cecil Estates are hosting an exhibition about the site they have allocated in the Local Plan for a 40,500sqm Business Park and 80 dwellings at Marshmoor.

http://www.gascoynececil.com/news/forthcoming-exhibitions/

Thursday 13th October 3pm - 8pm
North Mymms Cricket Club
Home Farm,
Welham Green AL9 7TR

The following users thanked this post: Editor

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #1473 on: September 25, 2016, 09:32:15 am »
Gascoyne Cecil Estates are hosting an exhibition about the site they have allocated in the Local Plan for a 40,500sqm Business Park and 80 dwellings at Marshmoor.

http://www.gascoynececil.com/news/forthcoming-exhibitions/

Thursday 13th October 3pm - 8pm
North Mymms Cricket Club
Home Farm,
Welham Green AL9 7TR

Someone has questioned the choice of venue on that page.

Why choose such an inaccessible and remote site as North Mymms Cricket Club when there are two perfectly accessible venues within the community of Welham Green,, namely the Memorial Hall or the Community Centre!
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #1474 on: October 02, 2016, 02:09:57 pm »
The North Mymms District Green Belt Society has been dropping Local Plan consultation reminders and guidelines through the door. I've added images of the documents every household should have. Click on the images below to enlarge.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

The following users thanked this post: North Mymms Green Belt

Offline RuralFox

• Forum Member
« Reply #1475 on: October 03, 2016, 09:19:19 pm »
It may be that the you are unaware of the development plans, particularly the development of
250 dwellings to the west of the railway on the junction of station Road and Bradmore Lane BrP4 HS22.

If this particular development were to go ahead it would completely change what is a beautiful rural area on the edge of the village into an urban sprawl.   Bradmore Lane and Warrengate Road would have to be widened to provide roads more suitable for the extra 250+ cars that would need to use the roads for access to the  new development.

As residents of Warrengate Road  we are particularly concerned about the affect a development of such proportions will have on the flood risk that already exists for us.   How will the roads be widened to accommodate the extra traffic, in particular Warrengate Road which is limited by the flood wall on one side and houses on the other.

I hope that anyone reading this will take the time to submit their comments on the above mentioned form as this development affects all of us but for the residents of Warrengate Road the changes will be much more.   There aren't many residents down here so any support towards our objections would be very much appreciated.   Thank you.

Peppermint,

You are quite right, but it is important to remember that BrP4 (HS22) was only found suitable for allocation after North Mymms Parish Council wrote formally to the borough Council advancing BrP4 as its preferred site.  Therefore, unless you can persuade “our” Parish Council to withdraw its support for BrP4 by 24 October 2016 (when the consultation closes), the Borough Council will assume that the Parish Council is advancing the majority wishes of its community.

The Chair of the Parish Council (Stephen Boulton) is also the Chair of the Cabinet House and Planning Panel (CHPP), which is the committee at the Borough Council which makes all the important decisions about site allocations.  So North Mymms Parish Council has significant influence over site allocations.  The planning officers and the Council’s independent advisors all advised the CHPP that BrP4 was NOT suitable so, without pressure from the North Mymms Parish Council, that site would never have been allocated.

If the East Coast Mainline Railway is breached by the development of BrP4 (HS22) it will trigger the possibility of joining all the land to the west of the railway north towards Welham Green, to create a new “Garden Village” for 2,000+ new homes.  So North Mymms Parish Council, be careful what you wish for!

Offline RuralFox

• Forum Member
« Reply #1476 on: October 04, 2016, 05:14:37 pm »
Oh Motherchuck, how appropriate!

But surely you are not suggesting that the good residents of Brookmans Park and/or the Parish Council is seeking to create an “us and them” society, using the railway line as a barrier between the two communities?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #1477 on: October 04, 2016, 06:51:12 pm »
I think there is a strong possibility that the Parish Council want to keep Daisy and Onslow the other side of the railway tracks.

I am amazed to see the debate on the Local Plan reduced to the use of early '90s sitcom negative stereotypes.

Personally, I find this not only offensive, but also a sad reflection of an attitude that sees it okay for some in society to have a home, start a family and build a life, but not others.

Oppose the development on the grounds that it breaches the hard greenbelt boundary, or that it threatens the environment, by all means, but, please, not by having a go at those less fortunate than yourself.

David

The following users thanked this post: Mermaid, Angel

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1478 on: October 04, 2016, 09:12:57 pm »
The Chair of the Parish Council (Stephen Boulton) is also the Chair of the Cabinet House and Planning Panel (CHPP)

Stephen Boulton is not Chair of the North Mymms Parish Council.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #1479 on: October 04, 2016, 10:38:54 pm »
The Chair of the Parish Council (Stephen Boulton) is also the Chair of the Cabinet House and Planning Panel (CHPP), which is the committee at the Borough Council which makes all the important decisions about site allocations.  So North Mymms Parish Council has significant influence over site allocations.  The planning officers and the Council’s independent advisors all advised the CHPP that BrP4 was NOT suitable so, without pressure from the North Mymms Parish Council, that site would never have been allocated.

As Mermaid has stated, Cllr Stephen Boulton is not chair of North Mymms Parish Council. The parish council’s response to the local plan was formulated by the planning committee which Cllr Stephen Boulton is also not a member of, as this would obviously cause a conflict of interest with his work  at the borough council, so your assumptions above are incorrect. All parish council meetings are open to the public and past minutes are published on the parish council's (new!) website, if you would like to find out how the council does make decisions and the basis for them, I suggest you come along; forthcoming meetings can be found on the website. Members of the public also do have the right to speak at the meetings if they ask to at the start of it.

http://www.northmymms.org
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

The following users thanked this post: Mermaid, Editor

Offline leader

• Forum Member
« Reply #1480 on: October 06, 2016, 08:47:14 am »
An article in this weeks Welwyn Hatfield Times featuring Oliver Dowden MP for Hertsmere and Little Heath Action Group.

It shows his comments on the proposed developments in Little Heath as part of the Councils Local Plan

Offline Hatfield Girl

• Forum Member
« Reply #1481 on: October 06, 2016, 12:51:09 pm »
James,

Cllr Stephen Boulton was the Chairman of the North Mymms Parish Council in March 2015 when it sent representations to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, advancing BrP4 as its preferred site.  His wife sat on the committee which prepared those representations and she is also currently the Chairman of the North Mymms Parish Council Planning Committee.

In March 2015 Mr Boulton was also a serving member of the Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel, which approves site allocations in the borough, and he has subsequently become the Chairman of that committee.  He was still Chairman of the North Mymms Parish Council until June 2016.

The planning officers at Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council and the Council’s independent expert consultants repeatedly advised the Borough Council in the period 2012 to 2015 (in numerous public meetings and in site evaluation reports) that BrP4 was not suitable for development.  This only changed after North Mymms Parish Council made its representations in March 2015, when the Parish Council inexplicably advanced BrP4 as its preferred site for development, outside of Brookmans Park....

Surprise, Surprise!

The following users thanked this post: Editor, peppermint

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #1482 on: October 06, 2016, 01:38:39 pm »
James,

Is the information provided by Hatfield Girl correct or not??

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1483 on: October 06, 2016, 03:52:02 pm »
David,

You shouldn't be amazed and you shouldn't be offended. Comedy sitcom stereotypes reflect real life, which is why people can relate to them, and why people laugh.

I was certainly not 'having a go at those less fortunate', I was drawing attention to the site that the parish council prefer for housing development BrP4 (HS22), which has to include 35% 'affordable' (council).

Whether you like it or not, this site has been selected because it is the other side of the tracks.

You should be asking if anyone at the parish council would be prepared to explain, on this forum, why this site was their prefered choice for development at Brookmans Park. I'll help you - because it won't get planning permission.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #1484 on: October 06, 2016, 05:53:19 pm »
You shouldn't be amazed and you shouldn't be offended. Comedy sitcom stereotypes reflect real life, which is why people can relate to them, and why people laugh.

I was certainly not 'having a go at those less fortunate', I was drawing attention to the site that the parish council prefer for housing development BrP4 (HS22), which has to include 35% 'affordable' (council).

Dear Motherchuck,

That is not entirely accurate, as you and I and the moderators all know. As you are aware, I had to remove a post of yours three days ago which warned that any new 'council houses' in the area would leave other local residents exposed to theft of property. So I am still amazed at that attitude, and offended.

But moving on… much better we stick to the facts of the Local Plan proposals and debate those rather than get involved in a discussion that’s discriminatory in nature.

David

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #1485 on: October 06, 2016, 09:24:20 pm »
I found it very difficult to respond to the Local Plan Consultation in spite of the helpful notes from the Green Belt Society.  Having to give an opinion on whether the Plan is legal and safe foxed me to begin with and the whole procedure online is very muddled.  I did my best with one section but then couldn't face any more.

By making the stipulation that letters will not be considered in this consultation and that only the official form or online responses are allowed, I feel the Council (or whoever makes the rules) have deprived many of us of the possibility of expressing our opinion.

Do others feel the same?

The following users thanked this post: Editor, peppermint

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #1486 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:39 pm »
Chicken legs,  I totally agree with you but at this stage in the process we are not being asked for our opinions.   What we are being asked is to highlight any flaws in the plan put forward and the Green Belt Society have given us some points which we can incorporate into our Local Plan Consultation form.

What concerns me more is that it would appear that North mymms Parish Council,rather than objecting  to the plan to over develop and destroy the rural aspect of the village and surrounding roads, are actually encouraging this to go ahead.

If we don't all submit these forms Welwyn Hatfield Council will believe, as most of us do, that NMPC are acting in our best interests.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #1487 on: October 06, 2016, 11:20:27 pm »
James,

Is the information provided by Hatfield Girl correct or not??

Just posting here to say I am not ignoring the question, but will write back at the weekend once I have checked some facts.

James
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #1488 on: October 07, 2016, 07:32:34 am »
Thanks James.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #1489 on: October 07, 2016, 09:19:32 am »

What concerns me more is that it would appear that North mymms Parish Council,rather than objecting  to the plan to over develop and destroy the rural aspect of the village and surrounding roads, are actually encouraging this to go ahead.

If we don't all submit these forms Welwyn Hatfield Council will believe, as most of us do, that NMPC are acting in our best interests.

The Facts.

In the March 2015 response to the Local Plan Consultation the NMPC promoted two sites in North Mymms that they considered to be the 'least worst' - BrP4 (HS22) West of Brookmans Park and WeG4b (SDS7) Marshmoor. Both sites have now been carried forward into the Draft Local Plan currently being consulted on.

The NMPC opposed the Little Heath sites - BrP7 (HS24) & LHe1 (HS25) but both have been carried forward.

There are several key issues here:

1) Are the sites promoted by NMPC the best sites in planning terms?
2) Did the NMPC submission express the views of the North Mymms Parishioners?
3) Did the NMPC have to promote any sites?

The NMPC could have chosen to oppose all the Green Belt sites in North Mymms, which as I understand it, was the wishes of the residents at both Public Meetings held by the NMPC.

I believe that the NMPC were attempting to be pragmatic in their approach because they have the mistaken belief that if they oppose all the sites the Plan will be found unsound and that developers will be allowed to build anywhere.

With regard to the Green Belt this is simply not true. Colin Haigh (Head of Planning) made this quite clear at one of the Cabinet Housing Planning Panel Meetings.

• All the sites in North Mymms are in the Green Belt.
  • A site can only be developed once it has been removed from the Green Belt
  • The Green Belt boundary can only be adjusted as part of a Local Plan

Therefore it would be impossible for developers to appeal and build anywhere in North Mymms if the Plan is found unsound.

I have attached the original NMPC response below and also the Water End Residents comments highlighting the shortcomings of the NMPC response below. Both these documents are also available to view on the January 2015 Consultation Document http://consult.welhat.gov.uk/portal/planning_policy/local_plan_consultation_january_2015/local_plan_consultation_january_2015

The following users thanked this post: Editor, peppermint, motherchuck

Offline RuralFox

• Forum Member
« Reply #1490 on: October 07, 2016, 07:47:40 pm »
I found it very difficult to respond to the Local Plan Consultation in spite of the helpful notes from the Green Belt Society.  Having to give an opinion on whether the Plan is legal and safe foxed me to begin with and the whole procedure online is very muddled.  I did my best with one section but then couldn't face any more.

By making the stipulation that letters will not be considered in this consultation and that only the official form or online responses are allowed, I feel the Council (or whoever makes the rules) have deprived many of us of the possibility of expressing our opinion.

Do others feel the same?

Dear Chicken Legs,

I share your pain! 

The Council has made the process of public consultation too complicated and far too cumbersome.  But you CAN make representations to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council by letter or “other format”.

The Planning Inspectorate has informed me, in writing, as follows:

“The appointed inspector who will examine the Welwyn Hatfield local plan will accept all representations made by any interested party in whatever format it has been sent to the Council providing that the details of the representor has been added and the reason why you wish to make your representation on the plan is stated”.

Anybody who wishes to comment on the Local Plan should do so before 5.00pm on Monday 24 October 2016.  This can be by letter (or “other format”) addressed to the Borough Council, stating:

(1) Your representation (making it clear whether you are agreeing with or objecting to the draft Local Plan, preferably by stating the Strategy or Policy about which you are referring);

(2) The change (if any) that you would like to see made to the draft Local Plan and;

(3) It must contain your name and address.

Peppermint is also correct that your representations need to be as specific and concise as possible and not just general opinion

Hope this helps!!

The following users thanked this post: Nimbus

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #1491 on: October 07, 2016, 10:10:23 pm »
It certainly does, RuralFox, thank you for the clear and concise instructions.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1492 on: October 08, 2016, 07:24:09 pm »

I have been told that a member of Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, Councillor Duncan Bell, has submitted a reponse to the Local Plan
suggesting that Brookmans Park would be a suitable location for a gypsy/traveller site.

Does anyone know where to find this on the Council's website and where he is proposing it ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #1493 on: October 08, 2016, 08:14:24 pm »
Dear Motherchuck,

You wrote:

I have been told that a member of Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, Councillor Duncan Bell, has submitted a reponse to the Local Plan
suggesting that Brookmans Park would be a suitable location for a gypsy/traveller site.

Does anyone know where to find this on the Council's website and where he is proposing it ?

Is this the same issue you raised more than 18 months ago, or has something changed? Here is the post from March last year.

Before anyone sends a template letter objecting to some new houses being built at Brookmans Park have a look at Local Plan Consultation Part 2 Section 11, 'Gypsy and Traveller sites.'

Response from Councillor Duncan Bell commenting on Gypsy and Traveller sites at Hatfield:

'It would actually make for more sense to provide any additional Gypsy and Traveller sites at locations where large scale development is NOT envisaged.

Gypsy and Traveller sites and family housing do not easily mix.

We should probably be looking at some of those 'Finely Balanced' or 'Less Favourable' sites away from the two main towns to absorb all additional Gypsy and Traveller sites.'

Then later:

'Greater use should be made of sites elsewhere in the borough that are avoiding growth.' 

Anyone agree with him ?

Maybe some nice new houses in County Hertfordshire might not be so bad after all.

You then raised the issue again a little more than an hour later.

I would still like to hear if anyone agrees with Councillor Duncan Bell that Brookmans Park could be a good
place for Gypsy and Traveller sites.

And again less than 10 minutes later.

Does nobody have a view on Councillor Duncan Bell suggesting Brookmans Park is a suitable place for a Gypsy and Traveller site ?

So that same day, in March last year, I called the councillor and had a chat about it, reported here...

Does nobody have a view on Councillor Duncan Bell suggesting Brookmans Park is a suitable place for a Gypsy and Traveller site ?

Hi Motherchuck,

I have just spoken to Councillor Duncan Bell and he denies suggesting Brookmans Park is a suitable place for a Gypsy and Traveller site. He told me that he used the term “elsewhere”.

I think if you are asking people for a response to a quote we need the exact quote and a source/link for that quote, otherwise it could all become confusing and misleading.

David

To which you responded...

David,

Click the second link then scroll down to Para 11.20 then click on View Comments (1)

I agree he doesn't say 'Brookmans Park'  but 'sites elsewhere that are avoiding growth' and 'we should probably be  looking at some of the 'Finely Balanced' and 'Less Favourable' sites'. I think this is Brookmans Park unless anyone can find another site that better fits this description.

My original post was timed at 01-55 today.

So I posted a PDF, emailed to me that same afternoon (March 13, 2015) by the councillor with his comments.

Councillor Duncan Bell has just emailed me a pdf of all comments that he submitted in his responses to the Local Plan Consultation Document. Embedded below.

<a href="http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/14981Consultation%20Submission%2002.03.2015.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.brookmans.com/pdfs/14981Consultation%20Submission%2002.03.2015.pdf</a>

Are you saying the situation has changed/developed since those exchanges?

David

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1494 on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:11 am »

David, as a resident of 'elsewhere' (Brookmans Park) perhaps you could ask Councillor Duncan Bell to send you a pdf of his comments to the current Local Plan consultation which seem to have disappeared from the councils website.

Are there dark forces at work ?

You may have noticed there has not been a single post on this forum from a parish councillor, to explain the bizarre preference of the regularly waterlogged field, about 40ft below the railway bridge, that adjoins a lovely winding country lane, BrP4 (HS22), as the recommended site for 250/300 houses by the North Mymms Parish Council.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #1495 on: October 09, 2016, 08:51:17 am »
David, as a resident of 'elsewhere' (Brookmans Park) perhaps you could ask Councillor Duncan Bell to send you a pdf of his comments to the current Local Plan consultation which seem to have disappeared from the councils website.

Hi Motherchuck, why don't you contact him and post your findings here? His contact details are publicly available on the council website, and he seemed happy to talk to me 18 months ago when you first raised this issue.

David

Offline peppermint

• Forum Member
« Reply #1496 on: October 09, 2016, 07:48:02 pm »
Hi James,  I was just wondering if you have had a chance to check some of the facts referred to in Hatfield Girls post.

Offline Hatfield Girl

• Forum Member
« Reply #1497 on: October 10, 2016, 12:19:42 pm »
We are now six weeks into “Regulation 19” public consultation in respect of the Borough Council’s proposed Local Plan, which closes on 24 October.  This is the final public consultation before the Local Plan is Examined and Adopted. 

The new Local Plan proposes housing development on BrP4, to the west of the railway line, outside of Brookmans Park (as promoted by the North Mymms Parish Council) and HAT11, a remote site to the north of Welham Green (as promoted by North Mymms Parish Council) and BrP7 in Little Heath.

The borough council is also working to identify a site in Welham Green for a new primary school.  This will facilitate 500 new homes in Welham Green.  The Parish Council is fully aware of this.

So, why has the Parish Council not held any public meetings during this vital and FINAL public consultation before the Local Plan is Examined and Adopted?  Is it because the Parish Council does not want to hear the views of residents in Welham Green, Water End or Little Heath?

Let’s hope the Parish Council does not submit any further representations to the Borough Council, which it claims to represent the wishes of this community.  They do not!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #1498 on: October 10, 2016, 02:45:18 pm »
Dear all,

I have contacted NMPC to see if anyone is able to answer some of the questions raised in this thread. They are aware of the discussion and are getting back to me. I will update this thread once they do.

David

Offline memsal9

« Reply #1499 on: October 10, 2016, 02:58:48 pm »
Interesting topic. Can someone please remind me what the purpose / role of the Parish Council is? I am aware of a charge for the NMPC 'services' via my council tax bill but never really understood what the 'value / service' I got in return for this charge and please do not refer me to their marvelous new website!

Mems

Tags: