Linked Events

• WHC Cabinet Housing & Planning: October 15, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Housing need for th: October 23, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - reserve date for to: October 29, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - update of other evi: November 13, 2014
  • BPRA update to WHBC Local Plan public meeting BP URC: November 27, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Local Plan consulta: December 11, 2014
  • WHC Local Plan consultation document - to ratify Cabinet Hou: December 17, 2014
  • Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's 7.30pm: March 03, 2015
  • Local Plan public meeting at Memorial Hall 8.15pm: March 05, 2015

Author Topic: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms  (Read 561931 times)

John_fraser

Re: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms
« Reply #1200 on: February 24, 2015, 09:06:01 am »
Out of 435 people, 23 (5.3%) supported a level of growth of "Enough to meet local and regional needs". Even this is an ambiguous term, as I think the development around here could be called "Enough to meet local and regional needs". I doubt all (or any) of those 23 thought they were saying "yes' to 14,000 homes. 

I think it would be safe to say the residents of Ashwell would like a new city built around, or even near their village about as much as we'd like it.

Offline RuralFox

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1201 on: February 24, 2015, 10:47:02 am »
Motherchuck, you make a good point.
No one should believe that objecting to sites on the basis that they are in the green belt will have any bearing on the eventual selection of sites, that view is both novel and naive. The green belt has been increased in size for many years. It is not shrinking.
The Green Belt was first established in 1947.  It has not changed greatly since that time.
In 1947 the population of the UK was 50 million.
In 2015 the population of the UK is 64 million (up 28%).
People have also been drawn from other areas of the UK to the southeast, so demand for housing is greater in the south.
With the exception of the urban areas (WGC, Hatfield and the large villages) the whole of the borough is Green Belt.
To accommodate 12,500 new homes in the borough, some land in the Green Belt will have to be developed for new housing, including Welham Green and Little Heath.
Do you really think that it can be possible for all the proposed sites at Welham Green to be much more suitable for new homes than the proposed sites at Brookmans Park? Do you not think that there could be some political string pulling?
The Ward Councillors for Brookmans Park control the Council.  So there will be new housing in the whole borough………except Brookmans Park!!!

(Note: Edited to fix quote box and code)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:14:11 pm by Editor »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1202 on: February 24, 2015, 11:57:38 am »
I'm guessing that it is the developers who are doing the most of the shouting about needing large-scale development in and around Brookmans Park! It's less about what is needed or wanted locally, or what is appropriate to the village, but about how much the developers can make out of the green belt land they have speculated on.

Residents should all make their views known very clearly to WHBC via the Local Plan public consultation. If the process seems a bit daunting, do come along to the BPRA drop-in advice session on Saturday 7th March at the Brookmans 9.00am - 3.30pm.

John_fraser

« Reply #1203 on: February 24, 2015, 12:08:28 pm »
It's not developers shouting about vastly larger scale development around Ashwell; It's people here doing that.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1204 on: February 24, 2015, 12:13:10 pm »
It's not just 'people here' John, it's residents and organisations across the whole of Welwyn Hatfield. Even WHBC has written to the Government .........

Online epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #1205 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:55 pm »
It is interesting that "the Developers" say they believe that "the Green Belt will not have any bearing on the selection of sites" but then devote the majority of their comment to the Green Belt   ???

Offline Ex Libris

• Forum Member
  • Expertises:
  • Research
  • Boules (pétanque)
  • Teaching
« Reply #1206 on: February 24, 2015, 01:44:21 pm »
Please see Reply #1027 on page 35 of this thread.

The map linked there shows the extent of Green Belt in Hertfordshire, and conversely, land not in the Green Belt.

In 2008, the conference at the University of Hertfordshire identified that there is at least one area available in the County where a new town could be built.

Regarding the expansion of Ashwell, is that not something that is taking place as part of the preparation of the North Herts District Plan?  Therefore totally separate from any suggestion for a new town.

If you are interested in the new town concept, have a look at http://chapeltonofelsick.com/

There is also a Paper from the Policy Exchange which may be of interest.  Download from
http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/publications/category/item/garden-villages-empowering-localism-to-solve-the-housing-crisis

Offline N M Parish Council Clerk

• Forum Member
« Reply #1207 on: February 26, 2015, 05:01:33 pm »
Reminder:  The Parish Council is holding a Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's School hall on Tuesday 3 March 2015 at 7.30pm
and at North Mymms Memorial Hall on Thursday 5 March 2015 at 8.15pm.

The Parish Council is a consultee and is able to represent the views of all the parish when planning matters come up for consideration. At the Annual Parish Meeting in April 2014, the Parish Council did agree to hold a public meeting for the parish when the Local Plan is open for consultation.

The purpose of the public meeting is for you to tell us your views in order for the Parish Council to formulate its response to the Local Plan on behalf of the community as a whole.  We want to hear what you have to say about the local plan generally, the sites that are shown on the Local Plan maps for the parish of North Mymms and any other concerns you may have, including infrastructure. It is relevant that the Parish Council is a key provider of public open space, recreation grounds and allotments in the parish. 

As you arrive at the public meeting you will be handed a comment sheet (and there will be some on the table at the back of the hall), please complete this before you leave and put it in the box provided.  As soon as the Parish Council has reviewed your comments, the comment sheets will be passed on to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council before the consultation deadline of 19 March 2015 (unless you tick ‘no’ on the comment sheet, which you may wish to tick ‘no’ if you have already responded to the consultation document for example). 

The Parish Council will prepare a considered response to the consultation on behalf of the parish as a whole. We look forward to seeing you at the public meeting.

Ann Morton – Clerk

(Note: Edited to fix font and add event to site calendar)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:08:32 am by Editor »

Offline N M Parish Council Clerk

• Forum Member
« Reply #1208 on: February 26, 2015, 05:17:04 pm »
Reminder:  The Parish Council is holding a Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's School hall on Tuesday 3 March 2015 at 7.30pm

The Parish Council is a consultee and is able to represent the views of all the parish when planning matters come up for consideration. At the Annual Parish Meeting in April 2014, the Parish Council did agree to hold a public meeting for the parish when the Local Plan is open for consultation.

The purpose of the public meeting is for you to tell us your views in order for the Parish Council to formulate its response to the Local Plan on behalf of the community as a whole.  We want to hear what you have to say about the local plan generally, the sites that are shown on the Local Plan maps for the parish of North Mymms and any other concerns you may have, including infrastructure. It is relevant that the Parish Council is a key provider of public open space, recreation grounds and allotments in the parish. 

As you arrive at the public meeting you will be handed a comment sheet (and there will be some on the table at the back of the hall), please complete this before you leave and put it in the box provided.  As soon as the Parish Council has reviewed your comments, the comment sheets will be passed on to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council before the consultation deadline of 19 March 2015 (unless you tick ‘no’ on the comment sheet, which you may wish to tick ‘no’ if you have already responded to the consultation document for example). 

The Parish Council will prepare a considered response to the consultation on behalf of the parish as a whole. We look forward to seeing you at the public meeting.

Ann Morton – Clerk

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:14:03 am by Editor »

Offline Strad

• Forum Member
« Reply #1209 on: February 27, 2015, 01:12:40 pm »
On 22nd Feb. epiphany wrote:

For the sake of factual correctness, the Welham Green Diary has absolutely nothing to do with the Parish Plan or NMPC. It is produced by just one community minded individual in their own time and at their own expense.

Yes the Diary is produced by a resident of Welham Green. It is just one of the projects that the Welham Green publicity group undertakes, the others being the Welham Green website (org not com) and the Welham Green Facebook Page. Both of which, are also run by individuals in Welham Green. They have nothing to do with the Parish Plan or the Residents Association. Details of the Welham Green Housing Plan can be found on both sites.

(Edited to insert quote containing link back to original for contextual reasons)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:05:28 am by Editor »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1210 on: February 28, 2015, 01:34:37 pm »
Good to see the NMDGBS banners out! Have any of the committee members got a photo of one they could share on here?

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1211 on: March 01, 2015, 07:28:56 pm »
The 'Latest News' leaflet produced by the NMGBS implies that approx. 38% of planning applications made in 2014 in the Green Belt were refused because the NMDGBS objected but doesn't say whether these were all in North Mymms. If not all in North Mymms  then what business is it of the NMDGBS, and if they were all in North Mymms then why does the NMDGBS think it has the right to interfere with the democratic right of hard working local people and their property ambitions.

Do the NMDGBS have no faith in the democratically elected representatives of North Mymms to see that local planning applications are considered in line with local and national planning guidance? Bit of an insult to our local councillors who sit on the planning committees of both the Parish and Borough Councils.

Do the NMDGBS consider they know more about the individual merits of each planning application than
the planning officers at WHC who all have planning qualifications, which I assume is something in short supply at the NMDGBS?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:38:29 am by Editor »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #1212 on: March 01, 2015, 07:33:54 pm »
Suspect this might be considered trolling, but I'll bite...

The 'Latest News' leaflet produced by the NMGBS implies that approx. 38% of planning applications made in 2014 in the Green Belt were refused because the NMDGBS objected but doesn't say whether these were all in North Mymms. If not all in North Mymms  then what business is it of the NMDGBS, and if they were all in North Mymms then why does the NMDGBS think it has the right to interfere with the democratic righ of hard working local people and their property ambitions.

They were all in North Mymms.

Do the NMDGBS have no faith in the democratically elected representatives of North Mymms to see that local planning applications are considered in line with local and national planning guidance? Bit of an insult to our local councillors who sit on the planning committees of both the Parish and Borough Councils.

As a democratically elected representative of North Mymms, not something I have a problem with. Anyone can comment, support or object to a planning application, not just the councillors. One of the advantages of living in a democracy.

James
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:39:54 am by Editor »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

« Reply #1213 on: March 01, 2015, 07:43:40 pm »
pretty much agree with James, except on the second point: No I do not trust "democratically elected representatives of North Mymms"

However, I feel it is deeply ironic if not hypocritical that the Green Belt Society is defacing local green spaces by putting up large, intrusive and frankly ugly banners on green spaces around the village. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:40:28 am by Editor »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #1214 on: March 01, 2015, 07:45:14 pm »
pretty much agree with James, except on the second point: No I do not trust <i>"democratically elected representatives of North Mymms"</i>

Happily you also get a chance to do something about that in May John at the ballot box!

Online epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #1215 on: March 01, 2015, 08:26:34 pm »

However, I feel it is deeply ironic if not hypocritical that the <u>Green</u> Belt Society is defacing local green spaces by putting up large, intrusive and frankly ugly banners on green spaces around the village. 

Don't worry John, the banners will only be there for a few weeks and then your viewing will be returned to normal :)

John_fraser

« Reply #1216 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:16 pm »
Let's hope they aren't replaced by another group who also feel it's OK to deface the countryside, just so long as it's only for a few weeks. I thought the Green Belt Society was concerned about setting precedents.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1217 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:42 pm »
James,

You say you post in a 'personal capacity' and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council, which seems to contradict your invitation to explain to anyone who might consider being a councillor, to contact you.

Why do you consider being a councillor only since last year, makes  you qualified or suitable to give advice to anyone?

I suggest you follow the lead of councillors Dean and Boulton who save their opinions for the debating chamber at the council.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:41:11 am by Editor »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #1218 on: March 01, 2015, 10:05:12 pm »
Hi Motherchuck

When I say I am posting in a personal capacity it is because I am putting my own views across and I cannot speak on behalf of the whole Parish Council. There is a separate Parish Council account on this forum which is used for official announcements etc.

You are right that I have not been a councillor for very long (around 2 and a half years). However, even in that amount of time I can give people an idea of what being a councillor is like from my perspective.

My personal opinion (which I appreciate may not be shared by everyone!) is that it is good for elective representatives - even at a parish council level - to listen and respond to areas of concern by residents on forums such as this. Like I said to John, if you would prefer me not to do this, you can make your viewpoint known at the ballot box in May.

James

Offline Peeplins

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1219 on: March 01, 2015, 10:07:23 pm »
Well said James  ;D

John_fraser

« Reply #1220 on: March 01, 2015, 10:14:11 pm »
pretty much agree with James, except on the second point: No I do not trust "democratically elected representatives of North Mymms"

Happily you also get a chance to do something about that in May John at the ballot box!

Don't take it personally. Democracy isn't simply about voting every few years and then letting the elected representatives get on with it. It's also about holding those representatives to account and ensuring they are aware of your opinions at all times.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:41:48 am by Editor »

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1221 on: March 01, 2015, 11:40:01 pm »
James, please pay attention.

You state that you 'listen and respond to areas of concern by residents.'

My post was clearly regarding my concern about the age of members of NMDGBS and their interference
in the planning process. It had nothing to do with voting or standing as a prospective councillor.

It is therefore quite clear you were not listening to my concerns when you went off at a tangent regarding your views on your position as a parish councillor, which you are quite right, I would rather not hear any more as waiting until the May election is too long.

Unless you have anything constructive to say about the NMDGBS then please leave it to them to respond if they so wish.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:52:32 am by Editor »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #1222 on: March 01, 2015, 11:49:09 pm »
Motherchuck

I apologise if I misunderstood what you were asking for. The only other thing that I can add about the NMDGBS is that as previously stated I do not share your concerns about them, however will be happy to discuss this with you in person if you are attending either of the parish council open meetings this week.

James

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1223 on: March 02, 2015, 12:08:06 am »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. . . . . . . .

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1224 on: March 02, 2015, 11:06:38 am »
A reminder that the North Mymms Parish Council meeting in Brookmans Park is tomorrow night:

Ann Morton – Clerk

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1225 on: March 04, 2015, 09:15:46 am »
A brief report on the North Mymms Parish Council meeting for residents last night, in which Parish Councillors were keen to hear the views of residents on WHBC's Local Plan These views will form the basis of the NMPC's response to the consultation.

It will come as no surprise that the overwhelming majority of residents attending expressed opposition to any loss of Green Belt land, and support for the idea of a new Garden City in Hertfordshire's non-Green Belt land.

Objections to large-scale development around Brookmans Park and Little Heath included the need to protect precious Green Belt land, the need to prevent coalescence of villages and towns, the lack of infrastructure to support hundreds of extra dwellings, the desire to retain the village community.

The meeting ended with Councillors appealing for residents to 'really look around' the North Mymms area for possible brownfield sites - even small ones - and to advise the council of any they may find. Every small development will count, and a few small developments may obviate the need for one large development. Already Brookmans Park is experiencing some increase in new dwellings through houses being turned into flats, and in addition, plans are being submitted to demolish detached houses to build pairs of semis. These can be viewed on WHBC's planning portal.

The CPRE (Council for the Protection of Rural England) ran a successful national campaign last year inviting people to identify brownfield sites in their area, and found land enough for 1 million new homes. Their website is http://www.cpre.org.uk/ 

Offline leader

• Forum Member
« Reply #1226 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:07 am »
The meeting took place with the Parish Council last night. Little heath  committee members and residents were able to put forward their comments and objections .The Parish Council will now meet next week to write a letter to the Borough Council to express the opinions of the residents.

Many thanks for those who attended.

We now need everyone to attend the meeting this Friday at Little Heath Church hall between 3.30 and 7.30 pm to view the plans and express their views to the Borough Council

I hope to see you there

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1227 on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:21 am »
For any residents who couldn't make last night's meeting, North Mymms Parish Councillors will be holding a second meeting this Thursday 5th March at North Mymms Memorial Hall at 8.15pm.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #1228 on: March 04, 2015, 09:50:01 am »
Thank you to all the local residents who took the time to attend the meeting last night and thank you Mermaid for your summary!

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1229 on: March 04, 2015, 10:28:02 am »
Congratulations to the Green Belt Society and the Parish Council for arranging the meeting last night where there was an excellent turnout from local residents. Many views expressed about potential sites
for development in the Green Belt in particular the strong objections against the awful proposal for houses
at Bradmore Lane called BrP4.

The more people that let the Council know that this site should be rejected and thus protect the proposed
Conservation Area at Water End the better.

Tags: