Linked Events

• WHC Cabinet Housing & Planning: October 15, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Housing need for th: October 23, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - reserve date for to: October 29, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - update of other evi: November 13, 2014
  • BPRA update to WHBC Local Plan public meeting BP URC: November 27, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Local Plan consulta: December 11, 2014
  • WHC Local Plan consultation document - to ratify Cabinet Hou: December 17, 2014
  • Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's 7.30pm: March 03, 2015
  • Local Plan public meeting at Memorial Hall 8.15pm: March 05, 2015

Author Topic: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms  (Read 593466 times)

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms
« Reply #1140 on: February 13, 2015, 10:50:34 am »
May we know what NMPC is thinking of doing with residents' views on WHBC's Local Plan proposals? Are they going to be leading a revolt against the proposals - if that is what residents want - or is it just an attempt to belatedly jump on the bandwagon which the NMDGBS, the BPRA, the WGRA and the LHAG have already been driving for most of the last year?

I do not believe that we are 'belatedly jumping on the bandwagon'. The Parish Council has discussed the local plan regularly at our monthly meetings (all of which are open to the public, the next one being on Wed 25th February) However, the decision was taken not to hold any public consultation events until after the draft plan had been published and the consultation was opened as we felt it would be better to hold such a meeting once we knew what the contents of the draft local plan were, rather than second guessing what it may contain.

Councillors have attended all of the open meetings held by BPRA and WGRA. The Parish Council pursued Welwyn hatfield Borough Council planning department on behalf of the residents of Welham Green and Little Heath to ensure they got their own meetings to discuss the proposals in their own communities and we look forward to hearing local residents views at our meetings in March, which will help us draft our own response to the local plan.
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Alex

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1141 on: February 13, 2015, 03:42:50 pm »
Got off the fence have you, about time you told us what you do?!

Not good representation for the villages I'm afraid.

Alex

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #1142 on: February 13, 2015, 04:43:38 pm »
Got off the fence have you, about time you told us what you do?!

Not good representation for the villages I'm afraid.

Alex

Alex

There is no secret to what we do. All of our meetings are open to the public. Meeting dates are posted up to a year in advance on our website. All minutes of the meetings we have held for the last 10 years are also on our website.

Members of the public have the right to speak at our meetings to make us aware of their points of view, or to raise issues. Our finances are audited every year and are available to the public if they have any queries.

Afraid I personally am not someone to 'blow my own trumpet' by listing everything the parish councillors do; a lot of it happens in the background. But there should be no secrets if people do have questions etc.

As mentioned above, our next full council meeting is Wednesday 25th February. If you do wonder what we do I suggest you come along and sit in to find out. The agenda for the meeting will be available on the parish noticeboards in the villages or on our website.

James

http://www.northmymmspc.org.uk

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1143 on: February 13, 2015, 05:20:23 pm »
James, thank you for your responses, and you are one of the three councillors who have attended our public meetings - for which thank you - but none of this answers my question - what is the NMPC actually going to do with the 'views of the residents' at these two meetings? After all, the councillors must have some inkling already about those views - particularly as the content of the Local Plan has been known since 11th December when the CHPP voted unanimously on what they were going to recommend to the Cabinet. Everything was then set for the Cabinet ratification on the 17th December, so no surprises in the Local Plan when the consultation opened on the 23rd January, there was no need to wait!

The Parish Councillors also need to take notice of what the NMDGBS has commented on their website on 16th December:

"The Green Belt Society is disappointed by the lack of support shown by our local Parish representatives in protecting our Green Belt."

So, I'm hoping that NMPC representatives are going to come to the meeting with views of their own, something sensible to say, and a plan.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #1144 on: February 13, 2015, 06:34:00 pm »
Hi James

I have just looked at the NMPC website on the link you have provided and noticed that you have a vision and aims statement on the front page that was adopted on 28 May 2014.

There are three 'good things' listed, the first one states 'Being surrounded by green fields but being close to good transport links and thriving shops and services'

There are also three aims listed, the first one being 'To endeavor to maintain the openness of the area, the Green Belt and the overall character of the Parish'

I had a quick look at the minutes and found only one reference to the Local Plan amongst them where a request for no development north or south to avoid coalescence was sent to WHBC.

I would be grateful if you could advise what actions you have taken to protect the Green Belt and also can I assume that you advocate development east/west?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 06:42:50 pm by Mermaid »

Offline motherchuck

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1145 on: February 14, 2015, 10:47:09 am »
Bedlam posted February 04 2015 :
'Exactly, your not missing anything but you're witnessing few nice new homes being built which will stimulate the area's businesses and services'

Surely Bedlam is right, without some nice new homes there won't be any nice new younger people to stimulate the area's businesses and services and most of the population of Brookmans Park at present
look as though their stimulating days are over.

Judging by the average age of the visitors to the WHC consultation of sites for nice new homes in the green belt begs the question why they should want to object when they probably won't be around when the nice new homes are built.

The council are also consulting on the best site to locate a new cemetery in the green belt.

Let's hope the council who want to get the opinion of local people on where to build on green belt land
take into account that the majority of objectors to building on it will probably not object to developing a
nice place in the green belt to end up in.

Seems that 'pull up the ladder Jack' should be added to the Brookmans Park village sign for having
objected all their life to nice new homes on the green belt they won't need it when their six foot in it.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1146 on: February 14, 2015, 11:38:04 am »
Well now, three points to reply to that:

1)   When our older residents 'pass on', their homes are usually bought by couples with a family, thus satisfying your criteria of 'nice new younger people'.

2)   Brookmans Park is already experiencing some organic growth in dwelling with each approved application to turn a house into flats. One house into 4 flats equals 3 dwellings towards the so-called target.

3)   Many people are very keen to have some 'nice new homes' built, but understandably cannot understand why green belt should be sacrificed when there is so much land that is not green belt in Hertfordshire.

To support Paul Zukowskyj's petition 'Say No To Sprawl) for a new Garden City in Hertfordshire click here:

http://welhatlibdems.co.uk/en/petition/say-no-to-sprawl

(and note that it is a LibDem petition but you do not have to give your email for marketing purposes).

John_fraser

« Reply #1147 on: February 14, 2015, 12:17:55 pm »
No one seemes to be able to tell me where this new city is to be built and what the people in that area feel about it.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #1148 on: February 14, 2015, 12:21:09 pm »
I think there are plenty of younger people coming into BP, you only have to look at a thriving primary school to see that.

Yes, there are old people, yes they will inevitably pass on one day, but all that demonstrates is that people want to settle here. What's wrong with that ? And all residents, old and young are consumers so I don't see your point about stimulating local businesses. In fact most 'old' people have far more to spend than younger people as they don't have a large mortgage.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1149 on: February 14, 2015, 01:30:15 pm »
So sasquartch doesn't see the point that building some nice new homes and therefore increasing the population of Brookmans Park would stimulate local businesses. Anyone care to advise ?

There is land in Hertfordshire that is not green belt, but there is no land in WelHat Borough outside
the urban areas that is not green belt and the council have to find land for nice new homes, therefore land in the green belt such as at Brookmans Park. However the local councillors have left no stone unturned to
try and avoid building nice new homes at Brookmans Park even deciding that they will sacrifice the thriving Panshanger airfield at WGCity to build 700 homes instead. Is that right? Is that fair?

John Frazer has a good point about New Towns when he asks if someone will explain where in Hertfordshire is suitable, but even then it won't solve the need for nice new homes now as a new town
would take about 25 years to get built.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #1150 on: February 14, 2015, 01:43:52 pm »
So sasquartch doesn't see the point that building some nice new homes and therefore increasing the population of Brookmans Park would stimulate local businesses. Anyone care to advise ?

That's not what I said.

I was responding to your quote 'without some nice new homes there won't be any nice new younger people to stimulate the area's businesses and services and most of the population of Brookmans Park at present look as though their stimulating days are over. ' which seems to suggest that there won't be any 'nice younger' people without new building - lots of people buy properties in the village to raise families - and that most of the current residents are old and presumably from your description largely economically inactive - again nonsense.

I don't have a problem with limited development, eg Green Close and similar, where the character of the village is maintained.

Re. your comment about Panshanger development - WGCity is just that, a city. It's not the same at all as large scale development within a village.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #1151 on: February 14, 2015, 02:02:00 pm »
However the local councillors have left no stone unturned to
try and avoid building nice new homes at Brookmans Park even deciding that they will sacrifice the thriving Panshanger airfield at WGCity to build 700 homes instead. Is that right? Is that fair?

Panshanger aerodrome has closed down http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/Panshanger-Aerodrome-closure-lease-decision-owner/story-22700985-detail/story.html

The Panshanger site is not in the Green Belt, unlike the sites around Brookmans Park, Welham Green and Little Heath

Offline Cathy

• Forum Member
« Reply #1152 on: February 15, 2015, 04:51:09 pm »
If any individuals , or any organisations, are responding to the Consultation on the Local Plan, please include a request that the New Barnfield site stays in the Green Belt. For details please see the Environment/Incinerator thread on this forum, or HAI's website www.hatfield-anti-incineration.co.uk (Look in the newsblog section of the website).

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1153 on: February 20, 2015, 10:40:16 am »
The Brookmans Park Residents Association is to hold a drop-in event for residents on Saturday 7th March from 9.00am to 3.30pm, venue just being agreed, but it will be in the village centre with access to Wifi.

This will be for residents who would like to respond to the Local Plan consultation, but who are unsure of exactly how to go about it.

We will have supplies of the official forms, drafts of letters which can be personalised, and laptop computers for immediate access to the WHBC consultation portal.

More detail to follow.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #1154 on: February 20, 2015, 07:31:51 pm »
James, thank you for your responses, and you are one of the three councillors who have attended our public meetings - for which thank you - but none of this answers my question - what is the NMPC actually going to do with the 'views of the residents' at these two meetings? After all, the councillors must have some inkling already about those views - particularly as the content of the Local Plan has been known since 11th December when the CHPP voted unanimously on what they were going to recommend to the Cabinet. Everything was then set for the Cabinet ratification on the 17th December, so no surprises in the Local Plan when the consultation opened on the 23rd January, there was no need to wait!

The Parish Councillors also need to take notice of what the NMDGBS has commented on their website on 16th December:

"The Green Belt Society is disappointed by the lack of support shown by our local Parish representatives in protecting our Green Belt."

So, I'm hoping that NMPC representatives are going to come to the meeting with views of their own, something sensible to say, and a plan.

Mermaid

First of all, my apologies for the delay in replying. I have been away for most of half term.

I cannot speak for the whole of the Parish Council, but personally I need to ensure we know the views of as many residents as possible before we make our response. I know the view of the Green Belt Society. I know the view of BPRA, but I think it is fair to say that those two organisations do not reflect the views of 100% of the residents. It is important that we give everyone an opportunity to have their say. I think it is also an opportunity for any residents who may have questions about the process or what is going on to have any queries answered as far as we are able to.

You are correct in saying that the contents of the plan has been more or less known since December, however the view of the Parish Council was that trying to hold meetings in the fortnight or so before Christmas would not be a popular move as everyone is just too busy and it would be better to wait until the consultation had actually opened..

Finally, the Green Belt Society have been in contact with the Parish Council directly with their concerns and as far as I am aware have received a reply.

James

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #1155 on: February 20, 2015, 07:37:38 pm »
I would be grateful if you could advise what actions you have taken to protect the Green Belt and also can I assume that you advocate development east/west?

Hi Epiphany

Please note that this is my personal view and I am not speaking on behalf of the council. Please also accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you as well.

I do not think that you can deduce from those minutes that the council is not in favour of protecting the green belt, or that we are in favour of east/west development. From memory, the priority at the time was to ensure there was no north/south development as that seemed to be the most pressing danger to our villages. However, this was before the final plan had been published, as well as before any thought had been given to a new garden city elsewhere in Hertfordshire outside of the Green Belt which adds new variables to the equation. I think this is one of the reasons that we were right not to hold any public meetings until after the consultation period had been opened, as doing so earlier before we knew the contents of the plan could have led to confusion.

James

Offline epiphany

« Reply #1156 on: February 20, 2015, 08:31:13 pm »

Hi Epiphany

Please note that this is my personal view and I am not speaking on behalf of the council. Please also accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you as well.

I do not think that you can deduce from those minutes that the council is not in favour of protecting the green belt, or that we are in favour of east/west development. From memory, the priority at the time was to ensure there was no north/south development as that seemed to be the most pressing danger to our villages. However, this was before the final plan had been published, as well as before any thought had been given to a new garden city elsewhere in Hertfordshire outside of the Green Belt which adds new variables to the equation. I think this is one of the reasons that we were right not to hold any public meetings until after the consultation period had been opened, as doing so earlier before we knew the contents of the plan could have led to confusion.

James

Hi James

Apologies accepted!

However, I do not agree with the following statement "The priority at the time was to ensure there was no north/south development as that seemed to be the most pressing danger to our villages"

The Strategic Land Availability Assessment, Phase 2 (SHLAA) was published in October 2012 and clearly showed ALL the proposed development sites around the villages, including BrP4 west of BP, Weg10 west of WG and Marshmoor east of WG.

At the time the NMPC issued the north/south statement last year, there was no more danger from north/south than east/west. Surely best practice would be to assess the pro's and con's of each site individually and cumulatively, rather than a generalised blanket ban on north/south?

I did not say that the council "is not in favour of protecting the green belt" although I am sure you are :) I actually asked "what actions have you taken to protect the Green Belt"

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #1157 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:38 pm »
Hi Epiphany

There was a definite reason why we sent that reply. I have to confess I may not be remembering the exact reason for it. I will go away and do some digging and come back to you next week.

James

Offline Colin_H

• Forum Member
« Reply #1158 on: February 20, 2015, 11:00:40 pm »
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and rather interested in the planned development. I looked at the proposed sites and am I reading it correctly that the bungalows in Westlands Drive that back onto the railway will be impacted by this?

Thank you

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1159 on: February 20, 2015, 11:39:55 pm »
Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum. I guess you are talking about site BrP4? That site is currently designated 'finely balanced', so not in the main part of the Local Plan consultation. However, that is not set in stone and could be re-designated at any time. If you are unable to make any of the WHBC's Local Plan consultation events, please come along to the Brookmans Park Residents Association's drop-in advice session at the Brookmans as below:

The Brookmans Park Residents Association is to hold a drop-in event for residents on Saturday 7th March from 9.00am to 3.30pm, venue just being agreed, but it will be in the village centre with access to Wifi.

This will be for residents who would like to respond to the Local Plan consultation, but who are unsure of exactly how to go about it.

We will have supplies of the official forms, drafts of letters which can be personalised, and laptop computers for immediate access to the WHBC consultation portal.

http://www.brookmansparkra.org/2015/02/local-plan-drop-in-advice-session.html

Offline leader

• Forum Member
« Reply #1160 on: February 21, 2015, 07:39:59 am »
Hi everyone

Just to let you know our new leaflet will be delivered during the course of next week . This will give you all the relevant information for the forthcoming meetings and to write your letters to the Welwyn Hatfield Council

Offline 6546837

• Forum Member
« Reply #1161 on: February 21, 2015, 08:18:44 am »
Colin.

If you are on westlands then you are also massively impacted by BrP6. That field overlooks your road from a high level and could become a housing estate overlooking it! Therefore, worth objecting to this as it is a site with a big visual impact to your road.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #1162 on: February 21, 2015, 09:07:11 am »

I guess you are talking about site BrP4? That site is currently designated 'finely balanced', so not in the main part of the Local Plan consultation.

Hi Colin

Just to point out, that although some sites are designated 'finely balanced', they can still be commented on in the Local Plan consultation www.welhat.gov.uk/localplan. Just click on the section marked  ' Finely Balanced Housing Sites'.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #1163 on: February 21, 2015, 09:40:52 am »
Colin.

If you are on westlands then you are also massively impacted by BrP6. That field overlooks your road from a high level and could become a housing estate overlooking it! Therefore, worth objecting to this as it is a site with a big visual impact to your road.

Please remember that when making your comments/objections about the proposed sites in the Local Plan Consultation, the Planners will only take note of what are considered 'Material Planning Considerations'

http://www.rtpi.org.uk/media/686895/Material-Planning-Considerations.pdf 

<a href="http://www.rtpi.org.uk/media/686895/Material-Planning-Considerations.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.rtpi.org.uk/media/686895/Material-Planning-Considerations.pdf</a>

To aid you the North Mymms District Greenbelt Society has produced a list of relevant key planning objections on a site by site basis for Brookmans Park.

http://www.greenbeltsociety.org.uk/resources/BrookmansPobjectionPoints.pdf

<a href="http://www.greenbeltsociety.org.uk/resources/BrookmansPobjectionPoints.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.greenbeltsociety.org.uk/resources/BrookmansPobjectionPoints.pdf</a>

Note: Edited to embed pdfs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:58:56 am by Editor »

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #1164 on: February 21, 2015, 10:00:55 am »
Hi Epiphany,

If you have pdfs that are already online you can display them in your posts by adding the url, highlighting it and then clicking on the pdf icon, which looks like this above the message box. I have done it for you.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1165 on: February 21, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
The post made 25th November 2014 pointed out that the sites for new homes that will have the least visual impact  on the village are BrP9 and BrP10, which are the other side of Bluebridge Road from BrP6 as they are the only sites screened by trees around and inside the sites.

The government are shortly to be bringing forward a new 'Right to Build' which will meet the need for people who would like to build their own home and in this area there is great demand. These sites have been promoted to WHC as sites with great potential for self build.

Some nice new homes behind the mature tree lines would be an attractive addition to the village and as most traffic into BP is via Bluebridge Road this will not increase cars through the village centre as would be the case if sites such as BrP4 were developed into a blot on the landscape as would BrP7 at Little Heath.

There are no better sites for nice new homes than Friday Grove BrP9 and Raybrook Farm BrP10.

They would fit in but not stand out.

Offline Alex

• Forum Member
« Reply #1166 on: February 21, 2015, 01:40:59 pm »
 ??? Hi Motherchuck

I am interested in your comments , and I raise the following regarding your postings:

• Are you yourself  a developer with an interest in land in Brookmans Park?
  • Are you  a resident of North Mymms with a possible development site near to your property and if so, whether you will be supporting development there?
I look foward to your comments,
Alex

John_fraser

« Reply #1167 on: February 21, 2015, 03:52:24 pm »
Motherchuck,

Although I agree with most of what you say, I don't agree with your main point, that BP9 and BP10 (to the east of Bluebridge Road, just south of the village) are the best sites. Once a site is selected there will be pressure to expand it and there is a lot of scope to expand these two sites into the farmland behind.

BrP6 (To the West of Bluebridge Road) is bound on all four sides by Bluebridge Road, Hawkshead Lane, The railway line and existing housing. Therefore, building on this land does not increase the chances on building on more open land.

John

Note: Still waiting for someone to say where a new city could built and what the people in that area feel about it.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #1168 on: February 21, 2015, 05:07:03 pm »
John,

Totally agree about the strong defensible boundaries of BrP6 but BrP9 and BrP10 have the strongest defensible boundaries of any of the potential sites around the area.

This is because the farmland to the east of BrP9 and BrP10 is Listed Grade II and therefore will prevent any expansion of the sites. Further. a dedicated public footpath has been proposed along the eastern boundary which would link the public footpath along the northern boundary by Gobions Wood with the public footpath at Hawkshead Road that links to Potters Bar. This proposed path has support from Herts CC and the Ramblers Association as has another proposed footpath inside the line of trees along the southern boundary with Hawkshead Road. There is the Bluebridge Road boundary to the west and further
restriction to expand by the Leach Field wildlife site to the north.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #1169 on: February 21, 2015, 05:27:04 pm »
The fact remains that the land is green belt!

The NMDGBS objections to BrP9 and BrP10 are very similar to the reasons that WHBC have designated both sites as 'less favourable':
  • Adjacent to two Wildlife Sites
  • Creation of new access and traffic measures would change the road from rural to semi-urban
  • Assessed as Significant for Green Belt local purpose and Green Belt national purposes
  • Narrowing of the gap between Brookmans Park and Little Heath
  • Detached from existing settlement in Brookmans Park

Tags: