Linked Events

• WHC Cabinet Housing & Planning: October 15, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Housing need for th: October 23, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - reserve date for to: October 29, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - update of other evi: November 13, 2014
  • BPRA update to WHBC Local Plan public meeting BP URC: November 27, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Local Plan consulta: December 11, 2014
  • WHC Local Plan consultation document - to ratify Cabinet Hou: December 17, 2014
  • Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's 7.30pm: March 03, 2015
  • Local Plan public meeting at Memorial Hall 8.15pm: March 05, 2015

Author Topic: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms  (Read 562667 times)

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
Re: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms
« Reply #960 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:06 pm »
If you want a truly radical solution to houses perhaps we should be looking at golf courses.

This idea has actually already been put forward for Potters Bar golf course by Hertsmere for their Strategic Land Avaiibility Assesment.

http://www.hertsmere.gov.uk/Documents/09-Planning--Building-Control/Planning-Policy/Local-Development-Framework/SHLAA-Site-assessment-Potters-Bar.pdf

See ref S44 . Plan for 508 houses.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #961 on: July 22, 2014, 06:03:16 pm »
Just seen these tweets from The Campaign to Protect Rural England, asking the public to "Help us spot the wasted space where you live".

http://www.cpre.org.uk/how-you-can-help/take-action/waste-of-space

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Chungdokwan

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #962 on: July 22, 2014, 06:42:43 pm »
Don't forget the empty space. Flats and houses without occupiers.

Offline Chungdokwan

• Forum Member
« Reply #963 on: July 22, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »
Why stop at Golf courses?

Cricket pitches, bowling greens, football and rugby pitches, Gobions open space, the village green, my garden, your garden. Green is SO last week. Mi Casa-Su Casa.

Now some words from the songwriter Pete Seeger who died earlier this year. Sing along if you like.

Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky tacky
Little boxes
Little boxes
Little boxes all the same
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same

And the people in the houses all go to the university
And they all get put in boxes, little boxes all the same
And there's doctors and there's lawyers
And business executives
And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same
And they all play on the golf course and drink their martini dry
And they all have pretty children and the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
And they all get put in boxes, and they all come out the same
And the boys go into business and marry and raise a family
And they all get put in boxes, little boxes all the same

There's a green one, and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same

Is that what you want?

John_fraser

« Reply #964 on: July 22, 2014, 08:02:42 pm »
I think I explained why golf courses.

If it were a choice between building on BP's  golf course and PB's I'd suggest BP's is better suited as PB's has a footpath,  which allows it to be used by walkers as well as golfers.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #965 on: July 22, 2014, 10:09:09 pm »
Whether posters are being serious or not, the council cannot order that land is built on. They can only pick from pieces which have been offered for use by the land owners. I somehow doubt whether Brookmans Park Golf Club is going to voluntarily close so we're kinda back to square 1.

James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #966 on: July 24, 2014, 01:00:54 pm »
I have put together the 34 aerial images of Brookmans Park taken in 1928 and 1947 in one easy to scroll page. They are all from the English Heritage Britain Above project. The way they are presented/formatted on the site was not very user-friendly. Click on the box below to access. Gives an indication of how the area has changed in a generation.

Brookmans Park from above
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline memsal9

« Reply #967 on: July 24, 2014, 01:42:21 pm »
David,
I can't see the picks but you name me any area surrounding Greater London which hasn't gone through similar changes. It's simply the natural progression / evolution driven by being in close proximity to a city such as London and unless we go through a catastrophic disaster resulting in a reduction in population size there is nothing we can do to stop Brookmans Park expanding.

I agree 100% with John Fraser I think it is absolutely absurd and downright insulting that just in and around London we have thousands of acres of manicured fields / lawns used by very few individuals and I would rather see some of that land used for housing.   One of the main arguments from the CPRE and Greenbelt Society is that using such land would negatively impact draining resulting in flooding but for a start Im not suggesting all such green spaces to be developed and secondly modern draining designs  (as well as old!) could deal with potential for floods.

Much of the surrounds of BP fall within the Greenbelt but I think that we all need to remember and accept that with population continuing to grow Greenbelt rules can ultimately only delay encroachment onto the Greenbelt. For those that do not wish to see BP grow any further than the only suggestion is for them to move out of BP and look for the next BP as it was in the 1950s.

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #968 on: July 24, 2014, 04:37:09 pm »
I have put together the 34 aerial images of Brookmans Park taken in 1928 and 1947 in one easy to scroll page. They are all from the English Heritage Britain Above project. The way they are presented/formatted on the site was not very user-friendly. Click on the box below to access. Gives an indication of how the area has changed in a generation.

Much better! Well done. Any chance of a similar page for Welham Green?  :)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #969 on: July 24, 2014, 07:19:08 pm »
Much better! Well done. Any chance of a similar page for Welham Green?  :)

Done, have put them both in a new thread in the history section so as not to take this thread off topic.

;)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #970 on: July 25, 2014, 08:19:48 am »
I have just posted a gallery of aerial shots taken over Brookmans Park and Water End in 2002. Look closely and you might spot your house. The pictures, viewed alongside the other gallery of aerial shots taken in 1928, 1947 and 1952, show how much the village and the area has changed in a generation.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #971 on: July 29, 2014, 08:37:17 am »
I contacted the North Mymms Parish Council regarding attending a meeting last week that was going to have representatives from the
Brookmans Park Residents Association, the Welham Green Residents Association and the North Mymms District Green Belt Society but was informed that members of the public were excluded so would be grateful if someone could post some information about the outcome.

Also the BPRA have invited John Dean to speak at the next meeting 14th August presumably about development around Brookmans Park so would also be grateful to know if he accepted and will attend.

Offline Peeplins

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #972 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:41 pm »
No doubt the minutes will be published in shortly and made available on their site! http://www.northmymmspc.org.uk

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #973 on: August 04, 2014, 01:24:16 pm »
Doesn't look like it Peeplins and their last minutes were published over three months ago.

The BPRA have no minutes and have not even published any confirmation of the meeting 14th August.

Perhaps it's been cancelled through lack of interest in new development around Brookmans Park ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #974 on: August 04, 2014, 05:25:44 pm »
Doesn't look like it Peeplins and their last minutes were published over three months ago.

The North Mymms Parish Council's minutes of all meetings page states that:
"The minutes of meetings are added after they have been adopted at the next full Council meeting.

However, that doesnt seem to have been the case over the last three months. The last minutes were published on 30 April 2014. Since then, according to the NMPC meeting dates page, there have been six planning committee meetings, two amenities committee meetings, and one finance committee meeting, as well as three council meetings in May, June and July.

So it seems the system may have broken down. Best raise it with the council. Contact details below taken from the NMPC site. The North Mymms Parish Council Clerk is a forum member and posted today in another thread, so perhaps s/he will be able to respond here.

The Clerk
North Mymms Parish Council
1a Bushwood Close
Welham Green
Hertfordshire
AL9 7YZ

Telephone 01707 268418

Email   northmymmspc (at) waitrose (dot) com

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #975 on: August 05, 2014, 09:40:31 am »
I can confirm that Councillor John Dean will be attending the next meeting of the Brookmans Park Residents Association on Thursday 14th August 7.45pm at the Brookmans Park URC to talk about Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council's Local Plan. The Local Plan is still scheduled to be put out to consultation in the Autumn, following which it will be published next year.

Notices will be put up in the village shortly.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #976 on: August 05, 2014, 10:00:16 am »
Tweeted and it'll appear on our Brookmans Park Newsletter Facebook page, too.

Offline memsal9

« Reply #977 on: August 06, 2014, 01:05:40 pm »
I can confirm that Councillor John Dean will be attending the next meeting of the Brookmans Park Residents Association on Thursday 14th August 7.45pm at the Brookmans Park URC to talk about Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council's Local Plan. The Local Plan is still scheduled to be put out to consultation in the Autumn, following which it will be published next year.

Notices will be put up in the village shortly.

I fear there'll be no open minds at this gathering but merely a group of NYMBY's hell bent on opposing any changes to the status quo. The housing crisis, the inability of our young (and old) to buy and live anywhere in the vicinity of London let alone BP, who cares so long as 'I'm alright Jack'! As a local Planning Officer recently said to me in reference to local opposition to housing within the Greenbelt "it's all about the money".

Offline Adrian

• Forum Member
« Reply #978 on: August 06, 2014, 02:31:34 pm »
I fear there'll be no open minds at this gathering

Then go to it.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #979 on: August 06, 2014, 03:16:12 pm »
I fear there'll be no open minds at this gathering but merely a group of NYMBY's hell bent on opposing any changes to the status quo.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised if you popped along. You might find that we are not all Nimbys.

:)

The first point in the BPRA's constitution states:

1: To safeguard and promote the interest of residents in the area on matters concerning housing and the environment.

Some will be concerned that there will be too much, others that there is not enough. Personally, I am not against development. You are welcome to put your point of view, too.  Annual subs cost 5 per household - a bargain.

Offline memsal9

« Reply #980 on: August 06, 2014, 04:17:10 pm »
I fear there'll be no open minds at this gathering

Then go to it.
As of Saturday I'll be basking beside a pool in the Med for a couple of weeks but will be searching for the minutes on my return!

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #981 on: August 11, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »
A reminder of the BPRA meeting this coming Thursday evening at 7.45pm at the Brookmans Park United Reformed Church. Councillor John Dean  is our speaker for the evening, coming to talk about Welhat's Local Plan and how it might affect Brookmans Park.

http://www.brookmansparkra.org/

Please let us know if you would like to attend, and send written questions for Cllr Dean in advance to brookmansparkresidentsassoc@gmail.com

Or please leave a message on 01707 661669

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #982 on: August 12, 2014, 12:29:40 pm »
If you have a question for Councillor John Dean, please do put it in writing before midday tomorrow so that I can give him advance warning. Our email is below if you'd like to email, or ask it in this thread, or tweet to @brookmansparkra

brookmansparkresidentsassoc@gmail.com

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #983 on: August 12, 2014, 01:53:02 pm »
It has been confirmed that at the BPRA meeting on Thursday, Councillor John Dean will be joined by Colin Haigh, Head of Planning at WHBC.

Offline elephant

• Forum Member
« Reply #984 on: August 12, 2014, 02:16:22 pm »
Hi Mermaid,
Many thanks to you and your group for organising this. I hope that a member of my family will attend.
Could I please ask whether open questions from the floor will be accepted? I'm not sure why all questions have to be put in writing in advance. Perhaps the group has thought of this. I'd have thought that the value of this meeting was in the open exchange of ideas and in the dialogue. Why should questions be interpreted as 'warnings'? Please don't interpret my comment as a critique - I'm of the view that any opportunity is a good opportunity, especially as facilitated by yourselves, but perhaps our Councillor might agree to a short period of Q&A? Thanks elephant

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #985 on: August 12, 2014, 02:24:23 pm »
Questions will of course be accepted from the floor at the end of the talk.

The reason for asking for written questions in advance is so that Cllr Dean can make sure that he's covered everything in his talk as far as possible. Questions at the end can then focus on clarification and/or issues arising.

We are just trying to make the most efficient use of the time, as there is a lot to say.

Offline elephant

• Forum Member
« Reply #986 on: August 12, 2014, 02:30:43 pm »
Thanks, Mermaid.
Perhaps I'm just a little more cynical. I would rather that the bulk of time were allocated to Q&A; I question the utility of a 'talk' informed by a set of questions. Seems a one-directional conversation to me.
Regardless, very intrigued to hear what is said.
I should temper my enthusiasm for this initiative in which our elected representative agrees to converse with his constituents. I would have thought that par for the course. Nevertheless, really pleased to learn about and support the BPRA.
Thanks, Elephant

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #987 on: August 12, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »
A hashtag has been set up for people wanting to post questions for Thursday's BPRA meeting.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #988 on: August 12, 2014, 03:08:22 pm »
I'm obviously not explaining it very well, sorry Elephant, I'll try again:

We have invited Cllr Dean to come and give a talk about WHBC's Local Plan - the background, the research that underpins the various areas of the Local Plan eg predicted population growth in Welhat district, predicted effects of internal migration (ie people moving into the area but working in London or elsewhere, people commuting into the area for work but living elsewhere eg Bedford), the targets that central Government will impose on WHBC to build enough houses to meet the predicted burgeoning demand.

It's the latter area that we all want to know about, but it's also important to know on what it is predicated. Hence the talk.

We ask for questions in advance just so that we can make sure everything's covered, and if there's anything that needs clarifying or looking up, that can be done before the meeting. It's not done to 'warn' anybody and the talk is not based on questions asked.

I'm anticipating that the talk will be about 15 - 20 minutes, which leaves an hour to an hour and a quarter (we close at 9.30pm) for questions from the floor, so yes, the bulk of the session will be Q&A and I'm guessing they will all be about development.

Offline elephant

• Forum Member
« Reply #989 on: August 13, 2014, 09:39:56 am »
Thanks, Mermaid. That's very clear :)
Looking forward to a very positive meeting.

Tags: