Linked Events

• WHC Cabinet Housing & Planning: October 15, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Housing need for th: October 23, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - reserve date for to: October 29, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - update of other evi: November 13, 2014
  • BPRA update to WHBC Local Plan public meeting BP URC: November 27, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Local Plan consulta: December 11, 2014
  • WHC Local Plan consultation document - to ratify Cabinet Hou: December 17, 2014
  • Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's 7.30pm: March 03, 2015
  • Local Plan public meeting at Memorial Hall 8.15pm: March 05, 2015

Author Topic: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms  (Read 559062 times)

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
Re: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms
« Reply #930 on: July 06, 2014, 09:54:01 am »

If that is the case, why do you think we are being encouraged to debate the issue before we know what we are discussing? Could one consequence be that by using the 'if you don't decide someone else will decide for you' argument, some could use the results of such a debate as an indication that there is more of an appetitite for development in Brookmans Park than there really is?

John Dean has made it quite clear that all the larger villages in Welwyn/Hatfield are going to have to take a share of the 16,000 houses that are currently (the goalposts keep moving) being
projected as a requirement for the borough.

I am hoping that the final figure will be lower than this.

Although I certainly think that it is far better that local residents have input (including contesting unrealistic and unsustainable numbers) like you I am suspicious of how information could be
interpreted at this stage.

Until we know what the final figures are for Brookmans Park, Welham Green & Little Heath and indeed neighbouring Hertsmere who are undertaking the same process at the moment, I do not see
how we could decide what would be the most suitable site/s.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #931 on: July 06, 2014, 09:59:53 am »

Although I certainly think that it is far better that local residents have input (including contesting unrealistic and unsustainable numbers) like you I am suspicious of how information could be interpreted at this stage.

Absolutely, consultations could be used (and data/input interpreted) out of context by some to further their cause.

Until we know what the final figures are for Brookmans Park, Welham Green & Little Heath and indeed neighbouring Hertsmere who are undertaking the same process at the moment, I do not see how we could decide what would be the most suitable site/s.

Agreed.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline concerned

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #932 on: July 06, 2014, 09:01:36 pm »
 :-\ The residents of Brookmans Park need to wake up before it's to late on proposed future housing sites. If we don't get a neighbour hood planning group together we will be left with the local planning office deciding for us on sites and the number, and design/type of housing that will be built.
Complacency will only allow developers push for what they want, and not what is best for the village, when it's to late!!
So please come on residents, let's get together and help plan the future for the village, join the residents association and work at get this moving before it's to late.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #933 on: July 07, 2014, 09:57:23 am »
A Neighbourhood Plan would be spearheaded by North Mymms Parish Council for the whole of North Mymms and the Brookmans Park Residents Association would certainly take part in that if it were to happen. There will be a meeting in July which will be attended by representatives of the BPRA, as well as the North Mymms Green Belt Society and the Welham Green Residents Association.

The BPRA exists to represent the residents of Brookmans Park. If you want us to carry your views forward, you can join by IM'ing me or leaving a message on 661669.

Offline Nick Lees

« Reply #934 on: July 08, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »
Further to Epiphany's reply 904 referring to http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4681 and later http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=5986&p=0, I have been told by Carol Hyland of WHDC on the 23/6/14 that this (in my opinion) biased, incorrect and flawed report is being reviewed:

'The SHLAA is being reviewed and will form part of the evidence base for the Local Plan.

The council proposes to consult on the Local Plan later in the year, scheduled for November/December 2014, so any comments you wish to make regarding the merits of any sites should be submitted at that time.' 

Whoever produced the report referred to above has only given positive reasons to use BrP6 south of The Gardens (NO negative reasons) and only negative reasons not to use the other sites (NO positive reasons) - hardly unbiased. This makes you wonder if there is a 'done deal' with the vet college who I believe have decided BrP6 is their preferred site.

Hopefully the 'review' will will be unbiased and more comprehensive this time (if it's not a 'done deal')!

Edited only to fix gaps in text between links (cosmetic) and to add a link to the referred post.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:48:21 pm by David Brewer »

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #935 on: July 11, 2014, 05:35:41 pm »
There has been another misunderstanding. Regarding the post by 'concerned' 6th July who said "if we don't get a neighbour hood planning group together we will be left with the local planning office deciding for us on sites" to which Mermaid has responded 7th July referring to a Neighbourhood Plan that is a completely different thing altogether.
'Concerned' is agreeing with my previous posts that the BPRA should be researching local residents opinions on where any development around Brookmans Park should go, ie. the least worst sites.
David has said he could use this site to carry out the research.
David also asked which land around Brookmans Park is the most probable land for any development. There are three main areas.
 1. The land at the end of Bradmore Way that WelHat have designated BrP12.
 2. The land east of Bluebridge Road known as Raybrook Farm(horses) and Friday Grove(sheep/boot sales) designated BrP10 andBrP9.
 3. The land west of Bluebridge Road and south of The Gardens owned by the RVC designated BrP6.
Alternatively just wait until the Draft Local Plan comes out and the cry goes 'I thought the new houses were all going to Hatfield & WGC'

(Note: edited to remove gaps in text and large blank space at foot of post)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:45:20 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #936 on: July 11, 2014, 06:22:46 pm »
Th BPRA will not be researching until we have had our meetings with the NMPC in July and our meeting with John Dean and Stephen Boulton in August.

Research previously undertaken for the North Mymms Parish Plan (published on this site) shows that the majority of residents who responded were against any development whatsoever. It would be premature to go out and ask them now which development they would consider to be the lesser of the evils, when we don't even know yet what the villages might be asked to take.

(Note: Reason for edit explained to author)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:44:52 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #937 on: July 11, 2014, 07:18:25 pm »
David has said he could use this site to carry out the research.

Hi motherchuck, since making that suggestion I have been convinced/persuaded by epiphany (see below) that to do so would be premature.

Until we know what the final figures are for Brookmans Park, Welham Green & Little Heath and indeed neighbouring Hertsmere who are undertaking the same process at the moment, I do not see how we could decide what would be the most suitable site/s.

On top of that, it seems some of the sites you have mentioned (according to the pdfs offered in epiphany's post) have already been ruled out - or am I missing something?
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #938 on: July 12, 2014, 04:21:31 pm »
Hi David I think you should look at the post from Nick Lees 8th July who quoted Carol Hyland at WHC " The SHLAA is being reviewed . ."

The link that epiphany posted related to sites for a housing projection of 6,800 ( 3,000 urban and 3,800 Green Belt ) but John Dean has now said the latest requirement is 16,000 so 13,000 Green Belt. It is therefore reasonable to assume that more sites will be required to accommodate the extra 9,200 and that sites previously found not suitable will be looked at again.

I don't know how long it would take you to set up a survey of residents opinions or how you would reach enough residents to let them know you were seeking their opinions, but I am sure John Dean and Stephen Bolton would be very grateful if they attend the next BPRA meeting 14th August.

(Edited to remove gaps in text)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:25:29 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #939 on: July 12, 2014, 04:31:33 pm »
It is therefore reasonable to assume that more sites will be required to accommodate the extra 9,200 and that sites previously found not suitable will be looked at again.

But would there be any point in running a survey on assumptions?

I don't know how long it would take you to set up a survey of residents opinions or how you would reach enough residents to let them know you were seeking their opinions, but I am sure John Dean and Stephen Bolton would be very grateful if they attend the next BPRA meeting 14th August.

On reflection, I don't know enough about the issue to ask the right questions. I am sure the politicians you mention above have the resources to run their own surveys.

(By the way, I edited your post above because there were strange breaks in the text that made it hard to read. If you are copying and pasting from a text document, please try to edit out the gaps. It makes it easier to follow. Thanks)

Offline Conor

« Reply #940 on: July 12, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »
2. The land east of Bluebridge Road known as Friday Grove(sheep/boot sales) designated BrP9.

I thought some of this land was being used for chicken farming now? Wasn't that why it was levelled earlier in the year?

Conor

John_fraser

« Reply #941 on: July 12, 2014, 07:00:34 pm »
the majority of residents who responded were against any development whatsoever.

This is a major issue. House prices are at silly levels and the young can no longer afford to get on the ladder. I'd like my children to be able to live in the South East if they chose to do so. The way things are going this won't be possible.

The problem is simple supply and demand and situation will not change without decreasing the demand or increasing supply. We're not going to be able to remove several million people from our population within a short enough time frame and to even attempt such a thing would be a social and economic disaster. The only alternative is to start building more houses and the houses can't always be built in the mythical land of somewhere else. We have to take some here. The field to the south of The Gardens seems ideal: It is in the corner of two roads, one of them the main road to Potters bar, so access would not be an issue; The houses here would be connected to the rest of the village and it would increase the stock of houses without adversely changing the character.

Offline elephant

• Forum Member
« Reply #942 on: July 15, 2014, 03:09:00 pm »
John -

1) Perhaps you might like to let everyone know in which area you reside before recommending your solution to this issue? It can't but help to contextualise your views and allow us to know whether you would be directly affected or not by idea your raise.

2) You presuppose that adding to the housing stock in BP will reduce prices. It won't. The supply/demand issue won't be solved in Brookmans Park. A brief review of Estate Agent websites will prove that ANY property - flat, townhouse, semi-, detached, will be more expensive per unit that will solve your concern about the young getting on the ladder. Do you really suppose the any housing built on an RVC field will be within the reach of young people that can barely afford a starting deposit and then have to consider, for many, the punitive costs of commuting?

3) The south east is a big area. Why not alternatives in the local area that might be lower cost to acquire, more accessible to the young with reduced budgets and, for which there will be less competitive pressure from housing developers? Why not around the environs of Hatfield, the former BBC tower in BP or Welham Green?

John_fraser

« Reply #943 on: July 15, 2014, 03:53:56 pm »
1 I have made no secret that I live on Bluebridge Road near Bluebridge Avenue.  You, on the other hand, don't say where you live or what your name is.

2 The problem will only be fix by building new homes in places people want to live e.g. Brookmans Park.

3 This is exactly what I meant by the mythical land of somewhere else.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #944 on: July 15, 2014, 04:08:44 pm »
I have some sympathy for John's POV in that I too have children who will some day want to buy a property of their own.

However BP has always been an expensive area with expensive houses. That's part of it's character. Rightly or wrongly.

I would imagine the vast majority of people living in BP were not first time buyers and lived elsewhere - for example I grew up in BP and bought several peoperties elsewhere before buying in BP 12 years later.

I don't think it's relevant to say that if new houses are built in BP they (or at least some) should be low priced so first time / young / whatever buyers can afford them.

All housing is affordable, just not affordable by everyone - in a free market economy the cost of houses is whatever the market will stand - if no people can afford them then the price will fall - I've witnessed first hand several cycles in the boom / bust of the housing market in my lifetime.

Even if supply was increased it wouldn't necessarily mean cheaper houses in desirable areas like BP, that's just the way it is.

Personally I'd prefer not to have any new housing in BP and if there was I'd also prefer not to have any so called affordable or social housing - because I think it would change the character of the village - the very thing I'd imagine most of us moved here for. Perhaps uncomfortable for some  but that's how it is. There are lots of other places where 'affordable' housing could be built.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #945 on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:33 pm »
People discussing the housing in the village might want to take a look at the 1926 sales brochure for the Brookmans Park Estate, published on this site. There are some quotes that really need Harry Enfieldís Mr Cholmondley-Warner reading them out loud with a cheerful tune playing away in the background.   :)

Hatfield lies three miles away, in the other direction. Hatfield is the ancestral home of the Marquess of Salisbury, and it would be hard to find a spot, which embraces more completely, that indefinable charm of rural England than does the country between Hatfield and Brookmans Park. Gently undulating, well wooded and well watered, the march of civilisation has left it untouched in its natural beauty.

Expensive boundary walls and fences will be unnecessary and indeed out of harmony. Rustic posts and chains, comparatively inexpensive in first cost, will be more in keeping with these surroundings.

And there are four maps of the estate, the north-west section.

The south-west section.

The north-east section.

The south-east section.

Offline elephant

• Forum Member
« Reply #946 on: July 17, 2014, 12:49:33 pm »
John -

1)   I haven't been asked to identify myself in registering for this website Ė so why should I, plenty of others donít? But I can reassure you that I have been a resident of Brookmans Park for over 25 years and was a pupil at Brookmans Park (under Peter Evans) and DAOS in PB. My parents moved to their current residence in 1980. It's good to know that you wonít be affected by any of the proposed plans!

2)   Yes, people want to live here - but you specifically referenced your children who canít afford to get onto the ladder. I sympathise. Neither can I. I do know, however, that I will never be able to afford to live in Brookmans Park. Are you proposing social housing, or just opening up land to private developers? Private developers are looking around Brookmans Park, and at its fringes, and those apartments I have seen advertised are beyond my price range let alone someone just starting out.

3)   Iím not sure I understand your point hereÖ. Iím suggesting that there are locations where we can and should be developing property that is accessible to young people. Unless private developers are forced to price at an acceptable level they will price to the local market. A quick look in Statons window will reveal that ANYTHING in BP wonít be affordable without the government forcing the issue.

p.s. thanks, David, for the very interesting and amusing brochure ☺

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
« Reply #947 on: July 17, 2014, 02:45:00 pm »
It is worth remembering that any new development of over 25 homes MUST consist of 30% to be 'affordable' housing. These are Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council rules and would apply wherever building takes place. This could be council housing (although generally the council builds very little now), housing association housing, shared ownership etc. Any scheme put forward by a develop  - whatever the views of the landowner - which does not have this would not be given permission to proceed.
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

John_fraser

« Reply #948 on: July 17, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »
Elephant, if you're channelling someone on where they live it would be polite and honest to say where you live too. It would <i>"contextualise your views and allow us to know whether you would be directly affected or not by idea your raise."</i>

I appreciate all the posts about new housing in BP would not being affordable for first time buyers. This is undoubtedly true, 'affordable' being a slippery term. However, when I said in the area I was thinking a little wider than that. If people read what I wrote they'd see it says "South East." Prices are too high in the South East and will remain so without an increase in supply. Very few (and certainly not enough) want the houses built near them. We will all have to put up with some and that fields look like the best place for us.

As house prices return to sane levels houses in BP will become affordable to more people. I can't see why this would be a bad thing.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #949 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:24 pm »
It is worth remembering that any new development of over 25 homes MUST consist of 30% to be 'affordable' housing. These are Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council rules and would apply wherever building takes place. This could be council housing (although generally the council builds very little now), housing association housing, shared ownership etc. Any scheme put forward by a develop  - whatever the views of the landowner - which does not have this would not be given permission to proceed.

Unfortunately 'affordable' housing is still not affordable to most - particularly the young, even if it is part buy, part rent. Our local council does not build council houses and housing associations are able to
charge 80% of current market rent- so not much discount there.

Rather than yet more traditionally built rabbit hutch new builds being constructed with the associated highbuild costs, radical thinking outside the box is required.

There are lots of new ideas for reducing build costs using non traditional construction methods and some brilliant innovative designs to keep costs down

Self build projects have also been successful in other parts of the country.

Offline Nimbus

• Forum Member
« Reply #950 on: July 17, 2014, 09:41:15 pm »
As house prices return to sane levels houses in BP will become affordable to more people. I can't see why this would be a bad thing.

They've not been sane since the Lawson bubble which left me behind in the mid-'80s! And that was when my earning power was at its peak, too.

For too long I held out the hope of sanity returning, but as has become transparently obvious during the present government, they're doing whatever it takes to prevent the negative equity conditions which would accompany this correction. This of course is funded at least partially by the stealth tax on savings as they are eroded by (actual) inflation while investment returns are paltry.

This is having unwelcome but entirely predictable consequences; the British residential property market has become seen as a better source of return than investments placed in more productive sectors of the economy, and having observed this, foreign buyers with a taste for a gamble are piling in. Some of their money may be of dubious origin, so the market doubles as a laundry. A similar flow from buy-to-let landlords is also supporting high prices, and the predicted rise in competition from this source, as pensioners start to take advantage of the chancellor's new pension fund rules in an attempt to better the miserly annuity rates on offer, is beginning to be fulfilled, as mortgage enquiries from this source are reported to be on the up.

So not much hope to be had, unless the economy is corrected, which won't be pleasant.

As far as 'affordable housing' is concerned, the cynic in me says that this is just a pseudonym for a subsidy for the first owners to take advantage of. Unless said housing is so bleak as to repel future buyers, surely it will rise to prevailing regional price levels within a couple of sale cycles?

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #951 on: July 18, 2014, 09:32:19 am »

There are lots of new ideas for reducing build costs using non traditional construction methods and some brilliant innovative designs to keep costs down

I think the vast majority of the cost of developing property in the SE is the cost of land - not sure whether alternative building methods would make as much difference here compared with elsewhere.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #952 on: July 18, 2014, 02:04:34 pm »

I think the vast majority of the cost of developing property in the SE is the cost of land - not sure whether alternative building methods would make as much difference here compared with elsewhere.

I believe developers usually work on thirds - one third cost of land, one third build cost, one third profit.

Agreed, land costs are higher in the SE but they are just part of the equation.

Making best use of available space with thoughtful design, use of alternative building techniques and self build can help to keep costs down.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #953 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:27 pm »
It looks like Tesco's decision could lead to the release of land for 700 homes in Welwyn Hatfield.

Tesco unlocks its landbank to build 4,000 new homes
£1bn building plan comes after revelation of 310 unused sites, with retail plans shelved due to shift in shopping habits

From the piece...

Among the Tesco sites set for housing developments following Friday's announcement will be Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, close to the retailer's operational headquarters, where it plans to build more than 700 homes on a site where it previously planned a store.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #954 on: July 19, 2014, 11:12:14 am »
Tesco are completely revising their retailing strategy and there will be very few large (ie Extra) superstores built in future. Therefore many sites owned by Tesco will no longer be needed.

Given the land in WGC is probably  brownfield anyway this is excellent news for common sense

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #955 on: July 19, 2014, 02:26:55 pm »
Given the land in WGC is probably  brownfield anyway this is excellent news for common sense

Has there been a study of available brownfield land in Welwyn Hatfield? Mind you, I am guessing there would be less profit and therefore the prospect might be less attractive to the developers.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #956 on: July 19, 2014, 03:52:19 pm »
Dave - I don't know. It's always amazing how common sense seems to get ignored or forgotten - I'd like to see all new building on brownfield sites, it's the only way we can keep the green bits green. Once it's gone, it's gone.

But the area in WGC owned by Tesco is near the station and ex-industrial - so a good location for high density housing due it's proximity to the station and facilities.

John_fraser

« Reply #957 on: July 20, 2014, 07:05:30 pm »
It's good to know that you wonít be affected by any of the proposed plans!

I missed that remark this first time round. I live on the road, I can see the field from my front and back gardens and a bedroom window and at weekends often walk the footpath that runs along the edge, so your remark is simply not true. If I am not affected enough, just how much does one have to be affected to be allowed an opinion? And should everyone on this thread be required to say where they live before their opinions should be considered?

John_fraser

« Reply #958 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41:32 am »
If you want a truly radical solution to houses perhaps we should be looking at golf courses. BP's is about a third the size of the village and PB's is a similar size. A golf course has a fairly low density of use compared to a park or sports fields. When I walk across PB's golf course of a weekend I see few people using it and frequently see no-one.  The only people in the area who benefit from the golf course are those who both enjoy golf and can afford the membership  and those who's houses back onto the course.

If we used one of the courses to make an area for public recreation (e.g. a park) and built houses on the rest the local area would lose very little of worth, would gain an amenity and an area with little biological diversity could be built on. The other golf course could pick up the members so no-one would lose out too much.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #959 on: July 22, 2014, 09:14:57 am »
If we used one of the courses to make an area for public recreation (e.g. a park) and built houses on the rest the local area would lose very little of worth, would gain an amenity and an area with little biological diversity could be built on. The other golf course could pick up the members so no-one would lose out too much.

Radical idea, but if we have to build on green belt then perhaps worth considering. I wonder whether there are restrictions on the development of land set aside for golf?

Tags: