Linked Events

• WHC Cabinet Housing & Planning: October 15, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Housing need for th: October 23, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - reserve date for to: October 29, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - update of other evi: November 13, 2014
  • BPRA update to WHBC Local Plan public meeting BP URC: November 27, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Local Plan consulta: December 11, 2014
  • WHC Local Plan consultation document - to ratify Cabinet Hou: December 17, 2014
  • Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's 7.30pm: March 03, 2015
  • Local Plan public meeting at Memorial Hall 8.15pm: March 05, 2015

Author Topic: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms  (Read 593732 times)

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things

Offline Peeplins

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms
« Reply #901 on: March 06, 2014, 08:19:20 pm »
As the number of dwellings is more than 5, does this mean a % will have to be for social housing?

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #902 on: March 07, 2014, 09:58:47 pm »
Just looking at the planning application documents. Apparently, according to the planning statement (October 2013) prepared by Jones Lang Lasalle, "1.10 the project team has consulted widely with the local community and engaged with key consultees INCLUDING Brookmans Park Residents Association and North Mymms Parish Council........"

Sorry am I missing something here, anyone know which key BPRA representative(s) we're consulted with, as I do not recall this discussed at any of the meetings I have attended!

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #903 on: March 07, 2014, 10:04:31 pm »
No they haven't 'consulted' or 'engaged' with the BPRA.

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #904 on: March 07, 2014, 10:12:55 pm »
Have just reached bottom of document, apparently consultation constitutes sending an email to BPRA  :-\

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #905 on: March 07, 2014, 10:57:17 pm »
They did leaflet the village late last summer with an artist's impression of how the townhouses might look and inviting responses from residents. I have no idea if anyone responded. We - BPRA - did send them an email asking for further details, but didn't get a response. The WH Times this week carries a report that Welwyn Hatfield councillors agreed the proposals, despite opposition from the North Mymms Parish Council which objected to the overdevelopment of the site and the use of grey slate as being out of keeping with the area!

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #906 on: March 11, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »
WELHAT have published a brief update on the progress of their Core Strategy. This can be found on p6 of the latest WH Life magazine, or click this link to look on the BPRA blog:

http://www.brookmansparkra.org/2014/03/welhat-core-strategy-update.html

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #907 on: March 11, 2014, 01:29:36 pm »
And the latest newsletter - dated February 2014 - is embedded below.

<a href="http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=8697&amp;p=0" target="_blank">http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=8697&amp;p=0</a>
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #908 on: April 16, 2014, 11:56:05 am »
Members of Brookmans Park Residents Association attended the North Mymms Parish Council Annual Parish Meeting last week to hear Councillor John Dean talk about Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council's Core Strategy, due to be published for public consultation in the Autumn this year.

In just over a year, the central Government target for new homes to be built in Welwyn Hatfield has shot up from 7,000 to 16,000, most of which will have to go on Green Belt land in the district.

A full report is on p5 of the Welwyn Hatfield Times this week.

Offline 6546837

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #909 on: June 03, 2014, 02:56:47 pm »
Hi All,

I am new to the forum.

I know there has been lots of discussion on building in Brookman’s Park which I have looked through but I still couldn't really answer the following question.  Will the field South of The Gardens (I believe currently owned by the RVC) be developed into a housing estate?

I am a resident concerned about the negative impact on the value of my house this may have and more importantly the fantastic view I currently have.  On top of this, I like many others do not have the appetite for the village to be expanded onto green belt land.  Any information greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #910 on: June 03, 2014, 04:15:57 pm »
Hi, welcome to the Forum.

The RVC 'estate' you mention has been submitted for consideration in response to the emerging Core Strategy, but nothing is settled and there is yet to be a consultation, probably in the Autumn. The RVC own 4 pieces of land around BP that could be used for housing, but their advisors plumped for the field you mention, behind The Gardens. The idea is for student accommodation and staff housing, plus of course 35% 'affordable housing'.

Every landowner in and around BP has offered their land for development.

If you would like to join those of us who are fighting against inappropriate development, please join us in the Brookmans Park Residents Association, and also, of course, the North Mymms Green Belt Society who do a sterling job in the area.

Offline 6546837

• Forum Member
« Reply #911 on: June 03, 2014, 04:26:38 pm »
Thanks Mermaid....

I think this is what I have read in what i can find on the council web sites.  Very sad news and no doubt there will be no stopping it not matter how hard we try.  And of course we have to try.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #912 on: June 13, 2014, 11:46:01 am »
Ten days have passed since 6546837 and Mermaid raised the possibility of new housing at Brookmans Park again and yet no further posts.?
Last year Councillor John Dean stated in the Welwyn Hatfield Times that the larger villages which includes Brookmans Park were most probably going to have some new housing.
Also Mermaid posted 16th April 2014 that Councillor Dean had stated at the North Mymms Annual Parish Meeting that : " The Government target for new homes in Welwyn Hatfield has shot up from 7,000 to 16,000, most of which will have to go on Green Belt land in the district."
Councillor Dean asked at the meeting for some " open thinking and calm debate and it would be more equitable for all communities if each agreed to take a share of the requirement " reiterating that " it is better to keep control of our own environment "
So is it not time that residents woke up and started a debate and thus possibly have some influence where any new housing should go
around Brookmans Park before it's too late ?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #913 on: June 13, 2014, 03:14:17 pm »
So is it not time that residents woke up and started a debate and thus possibly have some influence where any new housing should go around Brookmans Park before it's too late ?

I am not sure it's a case of residents needing to wake up. I think quite a few are wide awake concerning the issue of development. The issue is where would be the best place for any development if it is forced on the area/community through local authority obligations/agreement. 

Could you inform us of the options? I am aware of only 1) the RVC field south of The Gardens and west of Bluebridge Road, 2) the area of land north of Peplins Way, and (I am not sure about this) but was there a plot 3)to the south of Bradmore Lane and west of Station Road. 

Are they the sites under consideration? Are there more?

I think it makes perfect sense for new houses to be built in Brookmans Park, including affordable housing for those who want to but can't get on the housing ladder, and council housing for those who are unable to afford their own home.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #914 on: June 13, 2014, 04:33:15 pm »

So is it not time that residents woke up and started a debate and thus possibly have some influence where any new housing should go
around Brookmans Park before it's too late ?
It is impossible to have any meaningful debate until the actual housing figures for the individual settlements have been finalised.

Offline epiphany

« Reply #915 on: June 13, 2014, 04:41:59 pm »

Could you inform us of the options? I am aware of only 1) the RVC field south of The Gardens and west of Bluebridge Road, 2) the area of land north of Peplins Way, and (I am not sure about this) but was there a plot 3)to the south of Bradmore Lane and west of Station Road. 

Are they the sites under consideration? Are there more?

Many sites were put forward by various landowners but so far only one in Brookmans Park has been considered as suitable and available and that is the RVC field south of the Gardens.

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=5986&p=0

Offline Peeplins

• Forum Member
« Reply #916 on: June 13, 2014, 05:11:03 pm »
Ten days have passed since 6546837 and Mermaid raised the possibility of new housing at Brookmans Park again and yet no further posts.?

So is it not time that residents woke up and started a debate and thus possibly have some influence where any new housing should go around Brookmans Park before it's too late ?

As mermaid quite rightly mentioned and IMO, this is a subject that BPRA will be keen to seek support from concerned residents with to help support and shape strategy for our community.  Whilst we can procrastinate on the forum about new developments, actions speak louder than words!

Motherchuck, you sound like a resident concerned about the impact of any proposed development around the village, and therefore sound like the right person to actively support BPRA in shaping strategy.  I assume you are a member and have had the opportunity to attend meetings as I am sure you support would be most welcome!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #917 on: June 15, 2014, 08:06:28 am »
I have merged more than a dozen existing forum threads about housing in and around Brookmans Park in order to keep them in one place for contextual reasons. As always, please check whether a thread already exists before starting a new topic. Now merged, the topic is the most viewed on the site in the nine years since the new forum was launched. It has been viewed more than 2.5 million times. If you spot a thread that I've missed and which should be merged please send me a personal message and I will merge it. Thanks, David.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #918 on: June 20, 2014, 12:12:34 am »
Peeplins raised some interesting points June 13th. " BPRA will be keen to seek support from concerned residents "
Judging by the lack of responses so far there don't seem to be any concerned residents and if there are any they will have a problem
attending any BPRA meetings as there is no information on the BPRA website when and where they are.

David has posted that "housing around Brookmans Park" is the most viewed topic on the site having been viewed more than 2.5 million
times but the few prepared to post a response and thus start the "calm debate" referred to by local Councillor John Dean should be a
cause for concern for everyone by wasting the opportunity to influence the WHCouncil which sites around Brookmans Park would be
preferred for the new housing which is coming.

Anyone awake yet?

Offline Conor

« Reply #919 on: June 20, 2014, 07:17:15 am »
It is my understanding that precious little can be done until the council release the likely number of new dwellings that the local area is expected to absorb. What is the point in debating where and when we think housing should go when we have no idea how many we need?

Conor

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #920 on: June 20, 2014, 07:43:28 am »
Conor is quite correct, the Local Plan should be unveiled in the Autumn for consultation.

As far as the BPRA is concerned, we have issued an invitation to the new Head of Planning and Policy at Welhat to come and address a public meeting in BP, we have also invited John Dean to come to one of our meetings, and we are attending a meeting with the NMPC next month.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 08:02:42 am by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #921 on: June 20, 2014, 08:40:35 am »
As far as the BPRA is concerned, we have issued an invitation to the new Head of Planning and Policy at Welhat to come and address a public meeting in BP, we have also invited John Dean to come to one of our meetings, and we are attending a meeting with the NMPC next month.

Hi Mermaid,

Where is this information updated? I can't find it on the BPRA site where the last entry was two months ago, and the events are not listed on the calendar on the same site and nor are they listed in the section of this forum set up for the BPRA, or on the BPRA Facebook page or the BPRA Twitter feed.

I think Motherchuck makes a valid point about trying to find out what local people think. And, particularly the local residents association.

Judging by the lack of responses so far there don't seem to be any concerned residents and if there are any they will have a problem attending any BPRA meetings as there is no information on the BPRA website when and where they are.

It would be good to have updates, at least in the BPRA forum section here so that residents can keep abreast of developments.

David

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #922 on: June 20, 2014, 09:08:16 am »
We are awaiting replies from the people concerned, then will post the relevant dates and venues.

We have a stand at Village Day and will delighted to see anybody at stand no 15.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #923 on: June 20, 2014, 09:16:43 am »
We are awaiting replies from the people concerned, then will post the relevant dates and venues.

We have a stand at Village Day and will delighted to see anybody at stand no 15.

Thanks Mermaid.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #924 on: July 01, 2014, 10:40:24 am »
Mermaid posted 20th June that the new Head of Planning also John Dean local Councillor and Leader of the Council had been invited to
talk to residents at a meeting of the BPRA.

This would be an excellent opportunity to hear the views of local residents where new housing should be built around Brookmans Park
and thus influence the WHCouncil BEFORE the WHCouncil try to influence the residents with the Draft Local Plan coming in a couple of
months.

As the next BPRA meeting is 10th July have the invitations been accepted and will new housing development be on the agenda ?

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #925 on: July 01, 2014, 11:27:41 am »
If you look at my post regarding the next meeting on the 10th July, and our blog, you will see that we have Vikki Hatfield, Parking Services Team Leader at Welhat coming to talk about parking in BP.

We are still finalising arrangements for John Dean, but expect him to be able to attend our 14th August meeting.

Offline motherchuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #926 on: July 02, 2014, 11:21:11 am »
If you look at my post regarding the next meeting 10th July you will see that the question was will new housing development be on the
agenda ?
If you look at the minutes of the North Mymms Parish Council Annual Meeting 9th April you will see at item 7 the summary of John Deans speech.
He is clearly saying to residents think where you would prefer to have new housing, debate it and let WHCouncil know.
If no preference is made then WHCouncil will tell residents where they want new housing development in the Draft Local Plan which residents can then comment on individually.
Think about it. Which option is likely to be more favourably considered by the Government Inspector at the public enquiry next year ?
Sites preferred by the Brookmans Park Residents Association after calm debate or sites imposed by the Council ?
If you wait until after the next BPRA meeting 14th August to research residents opinions it will probably be too late to get to the WHC
before they consult, most likely September. There should be a leaflet drop giving site options now to give replies to Mr Dean the 14th !

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #927 on: July 06, 2014, 08:33:29 am »
He is clearly saying to residents think where you would prefer to have new housing, debate it and let WHCouncil know. 

My problem is that I don't know what areas of land around Brookmans Park have been identified as viable for development and are currently under consideration. Neither do I know who has offered up their land and put forward plans for its development.

Having scrolled through the various posts on this site, and having clicked around the WHC website, I am none the wiser - in fact I am more confused than ever. So much has been said, and so many lengthy documents uploaded to the WHC site, that I find it baffling. Perhaps it's me being thick. 

It would be helpful to list the options being considered so we can, as you say, engage in constructive debate and offer some considered input to influence the decision making process.

But what are we being asked to discuss/debate?

There have been posts on this site about the RVC land south of Brookmans Park, the land near the primary school, speculation about the 20 acre field, and somewhere (I can't find it now), talk about land south of Bradmore Lane and west of Station Road. Does anyone have a link, a map, a document or anything with the definitive list of what is under consideration? Or is it the case that any land that doesn't have houses on it at the moment is up for grabs?

If there is a definitive list of options, a poll could be created here in this forum, local residents could then be invited to state their preference in that poll and then they could expand on them in the associated thread .

I could create that poll, but, clearly, I don't have the information required to list the options. If someone has, and is able to post it here in this thread, or wants to send it to me via the internal message system, I would be happy to work on it.

David

Offline epiphany

« Reply #928 on: July 06, 2014, 09:03:54 am »

My problem is that I don't know what areas of land around Brookmans Park have been identified as viable for development and are currently under consideration. Neither do I know who has offered up their land and put forward plans for its development.

David

David

All the information you require is here - http://www.welhat.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4681

If you click on Appendix 1 you will see all the land that was put forward to Wel/Hat by various landowners and developers for consideration (some was even proposed by developers without the landowners knowledge!)

Appendix 3 will give you the maps to make sense of the plot reference numbers.

Appendix 2 summarises the sites that have been considered as suitable & achievable - there is only one around Brookmans Park.

We do not know at this stage how many houses Brookmans Park will have to provide, we are still waiting for the final figures to be announced this Autumn as the above is still under review.
It is impossible therefore to debate how much land should be released from the Greenbelt until these figures are known.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #929 on: July 06, 2014, 09:22:25 am »
Thanks for this, epiphany, I will bookmark this post so that I have all this information for future reference. Very helpful.

We do not know at this stage how many houses Brookmans Park will have to provide, we are still waiting for the final figures to be announced this Autumn as the above is still under review. It is impossible therefore to debate how much land should be released from the Greenbelt until these figures are known.

If that is the case, why do you think we are being encouraged to debate the issue before we know what we are discussing? Could one consequence be that by using the 'if you don't decide someone else will decide for you' argument, some could use the results of such a debate as an indication that there is more of an appetitite for development in Brookmans Park than there really is?

Tags: