Linked Events

• WHC Cabinet Housing & Planning: October 15, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Housing need for th: October 23, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - reserve date for to: October 29, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - update of other evi: November 13, 2014
  • BPRA update to WHBC Local Plan public meeting BP URC: November 27, 2014
  • WHC Cabinet Housing and Planning Panel - Local Plan consulta: December 11, 2014
  • WHC Local Plan consultation document - to ratify Cabinet Hou: December 17, 2014
  • Local Plan public meeting at Chancellor's 7.30pm: March 03, 2015
  • Local Plan public meeting at Memorial Hall 8.15pm: March 05, 2015

Author Topic: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms  (Read 594748 times)

Offline anna

• Opinions on many things
Re: Housing, planning, and development in North Mymms
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2002, 09:00:47 pm »
So whats the alternative. People move into a three bed house......they are not allowed to extend on, so move out, into a bigger house. Or like that article says, you get taxed for each year you stay in a property.  What's the end result?? You never get to know your neighbours......you lose all community spirit. As you know when you move in, you won't be staying long, you don't take the same care of your property. So the whole area goes to rack and ruin.  

Fact is, we are one of the few countries where we do BUY our properties, people abroad tend to rent a lot more so do move more and don't extend. However, rent in this country is far to high, so this is not possible. Renting is actually more expensive than paying an average monthly mortgage.

Astra, I feel your words are harsh. Of course I agree that skips and builders vans are not attractive, but I still think this is a beautiful area and we should count ourselves lucky.

Your comment about winning village of the year..........well, sorry, that has little to do with the skips.......I often walk around the village shops and think how sad it is they have not made a feature of it..........there could be pretty flowers, nice little statues, some more benches. Nice pavements.  Not to mention the empty shops........

Believe it or not, there are still very strict guidelines on building. I think the council work very hard to keep the beauty of the village. As I have said before. Stop finger pointing and fight the bigger issue. Do you want the SPARE land used for new development. Then no doubt as the village gets bigger, we will need our own supermarket and macdonalds!  

Also by the way. Astra.........if you can find me a 6 bed house in the area, for anything I can afford, I would jump at the chance of moving rather than building.  Who would want to go through all the mess and upheavel of building???

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2002, 01:35:17 pm »
I don't think it's true that BP will eventually become full of large, extended 6 bedroom houses that no one can afford.

The simple principle of supply and demand will apply, house prices in this part of the country have nothing at all to do with real, tangible building costs, but simply the demand for them.

Households come in many different sizes, Anna mentions she has four children so needs substantially more room than just a couple without children. So different sizes of houses will always be needed to suit different circumstances. If people can't afford to buy a house that suits them then they'll change their existing house - if there is a glut of large houses on the market, the price will fall and people will find it cheaper to move - that's simple economics at work.

Some of the posts seem to imply that building extensions, improvements etc can only be a negative thing. My house in Peplins way was built in 1953 and has undergone substantial work over the last few years to bring it up to modern standards and be able to house my family comfortably. If you walk along Peplins Way I would be suprised if you could spot one house that hasn't been altered or extended in some way. That's progress. I don't want to live in a 1953 standard house any more than I want to drive a Ford Prefect or a Hillman Minx (not sure if these cars were current in 1953 but you get my point). (I think the Minx was a predecessor to the Imp - I assume Peplins is considered Hillman Imp land)

One thing I've noticed is that most of the houses in BP having been built some time ago have the potential for improvements. Most new housing developments don't have any scope for change because they are built on tiny plots and every cubic foot of space is used to its full potential. Therefore all the houses look the same and the area has no character, BP on the other hand has a wide variety of houses even in the same road. I think that's better, in my opinion of course  :)

Another post commented on planning regulations, maybe they have been relaxed, but they are still quite strict - surely a good thing.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2002, 05:11:59 pm »
I am still at a loss as to why people from suburban areas look at BP say thats a nice place because its a village etc and then immediately change the rural property they purchased into the area that they came from.
This is now another summer of building noise in my road, it has been non stop as far as I can remember, I moved to the country for the quiet and its quieter in town. I expected Moos, Baas and squawking birds, but not angle grinders, cement mixers and tuneless whistling from builders.
I repeat the population goes up, the schools, roads and sewers etc cannot cope and the infrastructure suffers.
Just think if 100 trees are cut down in 10 years thats 3,000 birds gone, no owl habitat etc. I should imagine 100 trees go every year around here per year, they are great at drinking water from our saturated ground.
When its all concrete and foreign shrubs from the garden centre then I suppose everyone will be happy.
Conservation is not just the rain forest and other countries its right here in our own back gardens.
Still individuals can only do their own bit.
I don't go into London and plant trees, please don't come here and cut them down.
Whew all in one breath,
regards,
jet
P.S. Dear Anna, by the way what has the council worked hard at to preserve the beauty of the village, I must be missing something as it seems to have deteriorated, empty shops, poor sidewalks, damaged verges, ott extensions?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2002, 08:34:19 pm by jet »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2002, 11:22:39 pm »
So John Prescott has announced plans that could lead to the building of 200,000 new homes in the south-east over the next five to 10 years, including thousands of subsidised properties for key workers such as nurses and teachers. BBC News Online.  If you go to that page you can also vote on whether new homes should be built on greenbelt land.  Last time I looked it was 20.20% for and 79.80% against.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 11:42:43 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2002, 11:48:09 pm »
BBC News Online has a vote on this page asking whether new homes should be built on greenbelt land in the south-east.  This site has its own poll.  The BBC also has a 'Talking Point' on the issue where you can have your say in a national/international forum.  Oh, if you do post on the BBC Talking Point say you are from Brooky Park - it might give it more clout.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 11:59:47 pm by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2002, 12:05:26 am »
Well there it is the official start of Prescotts slums of the future just like before the war. :'(
Houses with overloaded roads and trains to serve them :'(
The Eastern area, flood plain, discharging more cr*p into the newly cleaned Thames Estuary, now we know why he has been having elocution lessons in Estuary English.
Milton Keynes an already jammed M1.
Why not face the truth, too much immigration has stretched the infrastructure.
As for Millenium areas anything with that monika is doomed, doomed I tell e doomed :'(
A rant to equall J.F. ;)
It does effect us, its more traffic down the A1 and even more people drinking our water before we get it.
phew burst a vessel,
regards,
jet

Offline anna

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2002, 12:00:54 pm »
Sad fact is, I don't think Voting will do any good. They make up their own laws. Perhaps if they knocked down the Dome, they could fit a few houses there!!  Before re-building, they need to look at some of the awful council areas that already exsist, knock them down and build decent housing.

Plus instead of letting companies build loads and loads of retirement flats, this land could be used for affordable housing. ALthough I understand a need for retirement blocks, they are popping up everywhere right now.......very expensive to buy as well!  

John_fraser

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2002, 12:04:07 pm »
Is it more people or more houses? i.e. giving a family a new house does not create more effluence, and it might not create more traffic

Offline Govvy

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2002, 04:54:11 pm »
The government will be wanting to build archo's next.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2002, 12:33:53 pm »
Hertfordshire has set up a forum (which is a lot like ours) for people to discuss how the county should grow over the next 20 years. It might be worth some of the regular contributors on this issue, who have so far been writing in the Brookmans Park Forum, having a look. more details  Alternatively, click here for the new HertsDirect planning forum.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2002, 12:41:56 pm by admin »

Offline Zorro

• oppressors tremble at my name
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2002, 02:19:34 pm »
Buenos dias mes amigos,
I was travelling between my casa in Los Angeles to spend the summer season at the Royal Court in Seville having sorted out the al calde and Sargeant Garcia when Tornado threw a shoe and I literally stumbled on your village website.There is good grazing and it would seem that from looking at your threads there is much need of a little friendly help hereI urge you all to help yourselves by preserving your village from those who would harm it and to register your feelings to the council who are here to serve.I will look in from time to time as needed but until then,
Before I go does anyone know the address of a good farrier, must be used to secret passages and caves.
Up Tornado and Away
« Last Edit: August 16, 2002, 02:27:40 pm by Zorro »
Zorro Defender of the oppressed

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2002, 09:35:01 pm »
The Green Belt has served us well for over 50 years by keeping London and other cities within a strait jacket.  Mr Prescott made a mistake when he allowed the expansion of Stevenage.  He is back in charge of planning so let us hope he learned his lesson when he got such a backlash over Stevenage.  There are lots of organisations who will be opposing any move to build on the Green Belt - your local one is North Mymms District Green Belt Soc.  

I would like to thank the many people who support our efforts to protect the Green Belt in this area.  You can keep up to date on our activities, and that of an umbrella organisation caled the London green Belt Council on www.greenbeltsociety.org.uk.

Bob Horrocks, Hon Secretary

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2002, 09:33:15 pm »
 Well on this website we are always talking about the past and present, but I wonder what changes will occur in the far future? Any ideas of what you think it may look like in the future? For instance, what do you think the future will bring? What new technology will be used in the village? How will it have been affected by things that are happening in todays world?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2002, 09:34:57 pm by Mooniemad »

Offline aqueous transmission

• liquid communication ... simple really
    • digitalblasphemy
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2002, 02:36:41 am »
well, i think that in the future, brookmans park will swell to the size of a small country, and have a population of several hundred million...and will be the future launch site of intaglactic space cruisers departing for Alpha Centuari, and all by the year 2023...

...no, well, physically, the village hasn't changed much since i've been here. Sure, shops have come and gone, as have faces...and houses have been modified and repainted, but generally, the village and surroundings have remained very similar to when i first moved here, and before that i'm sure.

interesting thought tho.

aqueous :-p
'to obtain a bird's-eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze'

Offline Aidan Winwood

• Opinions on most things
  • Oh pish posh.  Release the Hounds.
    • GamerTrak
  • Expertises:
  • Market Research
  • Corporate Strategy
  • Marketing Comms
  • Video Games (professionally)
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2002, 04:30:23 pm »
I think, in 30 years or so, every house will have been knocked to the ground and totally rebuilt so that they all have at least two en-suite bathrooms per bedroom... :)

Also all garden areas will have been totally bricked up to allow parking for up to 18 cars per house...

...and smaller and smaller houses will get bigger and bigger gates until everyone has their own Folly's Arch...

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2002, 05:04:17 pm »
Dear Aque,
I was gonna say that :)
Dear Aiden,
Hillarious, I thought some were :) :) :) :)
For once I am stumped for summin to say!
An internment camp on RVC land :o
regards,
jet
Does anyone remember Passport to Pimlico, now theres an idea, now what should the qualifications be to live here, and is there life after BP
« Last Edit: September 24, 2002, 05:05:59 pm by jet »

Offline MC

« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2002, 03:10:28 am »
Tres Jollies my European comrades.

What do we really think if we look into the future? BP is essentially a dormitory town containing residents who work elsewhere, primarily London.

As we all get faster comms at home what will happen?

How will the public infrastructure react/adapt?

Will the Green Belt shrink?

Will BP become a north London suburb and if so what of the living conditions, crime rate etc

Will the village ever stop arguing the toss about trivia?

Etc

Offline Swan

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2002, 11:33:15 am »
After an 84 year old Tony Blair finally claims his rightful throne and becomes undisputed Emperor of all Europe, he will instigate his infamous "Paving for power" scheme, this will involve every loyal British euro-citizen, laying at least one slab a day so that we can finally be rid of this acursed countryside (available in pink or yellow from B&Q, at a reasonable 300 euros a sqm)

Shortly after this, Brussels will declare the "Paving Tax" which Emperor Blair will struggle against.... but

It will be at this point that (prompted by a campaign on this very message board) the people will rise up against their concrete relate oppressors and the Peoples Republic Of Brookmans Park will be born to lead the way into the future

So keep the faith brothers, as we await that glorious day

;D
Godwin's Law:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Sparkie

« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2002, 03:47:25 pm »
Is ‘Star Trek in our future?

THE UNIVERSE IS big, really big!

But don’t take my word for it. Consider a few of these numbers. I warn you, if you actually try to get your mind around them, they’ll turn your brain to tapioca.

There are 250 billion stars in the Milky Way. The Milky Way, for you non-astronomers (like me), is the galaxy we live in. Experts who know about these things have told me that if I were to ship off from one edge of it traveling 700 million miles an hour (the speed of light), it would take me 144,000 years to get to the other side! That’s a lot of years. But even more astounding than the enormity of the Milky Way itself is the fact that it represents only a tiny fraction of the universe — a droplet in an ocean of Milky Ways. There are an estimated 100 billion galaxies out there beyond our tiny planet. If you were to count the number of stars in the cosmos — first you would be long dead before you could count even a fraction of them — but if you could, you would come up with a number that has more than twenty zeros behind it.

And there’s more...

The swiftest object we humans have created (except for people who drive 4x4’s around the village) is a spacecraft called Pioneer 10, launched from earth way back in 1972. About twelve years ago it departed the solar system, zipping along at twenty-five miles a second, a pretty stout speed. (I’m lucky if I can go twenty-five miles an hour on the M25). Having left our relatively crowded solar system behind, Pioneer 10 now finds itself sailing through a vast vacancy, as solitary as a clam. Even traveling at 90,000 miles an hour, it is moving 7,500 times slower than the speed of light!

The nearest star to Earth, other than our own sun, is Proxima Centauri, combusting 4.3 light-years away. It will take Pioneer 10 32,000 years to get there. And this is the closest star! It will take 15 billion years for it to reach the next galaxy. That’s a billion with a “B.” To place that number in perspective, keep this in mind: 15 billion years is the current estimated age of the universe. Everything that has ever happened, from the big bang to your last meal, from the extinction of the dinosaurs to the rise of alien civilizations in star systems we don’t even know about — everything has happened in those 15 billion years. And remember there are a hundred billion galaxies roughly the size of our own out they’re, circling, colliding, transmogrifying.

Okay. Fine, you say. I get the picture. The universe is big and things in space are far apart. This is probably why we call it “space”.

The simple fact is: -

If we do find life somewhere out there, I will guarantee that they will buy the house next to me, have bonfires every night, play loud music, have two barking dogs which leave their mess in Gobions Wood, 60 ft Conifers, drive around the village at the speed of light, their children will get the school bus at the junction of Mymms and Moffats, be pro-European and love the Euro, enjoy  fireworks in the middle of the night, love line dancing, and have hordes of noisy children playing in their garden to the early hours.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 12:39:24 am by admin »

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2002, 07:57:51 pm »
So your last paragraph suggests that the future is allready here ???
I am a bit hurt that you left out moaning old g*ts :o or will they be extinct :D
regards,
jet

Offline aqueous transmission

• liquid communication ... simple really
    • digitalblasphemy
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2002, 12:30:23 am »
seems to me like the future is bright...

...and quite probably orange

aqueous :-p
'to obtain a bird's-eye is to turn a blizzard to a breeze'

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2003, 09:52:56 am »
The district council has been urged not to take more than 64 acres from the green belt in a move that could lead to 700 new homes being built locally. A meeting of 185 local residents, organised by the North Mymms District Green Belt Society (NMDGBS), warned that such a move could lead to local villages merging and the character of the area changing forever.  Click here for more details

Offline john

« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2003, 12:45:25 pm »
Dear Ed(itor)

For the avoidance of doubt re your report today about threats to the Green Belt and showing a picture which looks suspiciously like part of our farm land at Boltons Park Farm, I should stress that RVC has not ... is NOT seeking to take that land out of the Green Belt for attempted development or any other purposes

Given the regularity with which RVC seems to be rather unfairly maligned, please could you make this clear ?     Or use a different picture ?

regards   -  john (rvc) ???

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2003, 12:51:32 pm »
Certainly John, I will find another image. It was only there to illustrate the countryside in the area taken from a stock of scenes of local fields.
David Brewer

Offline john

« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2003, 02:53:18 pm »
Thanks very much indeed, David

best wishes -  john  (rvc)

Offline Reginald

• Gunners fan
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2003, 05:34:45 pm »
Interesting program on BBC1 last night at 7.30 telling story of St Albans company selling plots "with potential planning permission" in green fields near Potters Bar. Looked like area around Hawkshead.

Our own council planning officer, Chris Conway, stated that permission would not be granted in the frorseeable future (ie next 10 yeasr or so at least) ::)

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2003, 02:18:34 pm »
Then why has the local Greenbelt Society distributed leaflets in Welham Green saying that owners of certain plots of land want to apply for Greenbelt status to be taken off so that hundreds of houses can be built in and around WG?

Birch

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2004, 07:49:23 pm »
Please be assured that your local Green Belt Society, and the Parish Council, are vigilant and fighting to preserve what we have got.

Bob,

Perhaps you could interpret this for us please? It's the Hertfordshire County Council's Development Strategy, Green Belt and Housing.

I checked it out regarding the 20-acre field application, although this post isn't particularly related to that, but more generally about how, and where, the county is going to fit in the homes it needs to find as part of its housing strategy.

Click here to read the current structure plan

In it it says...

The Development Strategy balances the need for new housing and other development against the need to protect Hertfordshire’s urban environment and the countryside. The main policy of planned town regeneration aims to concentrate new development - particularly housing - within existing urban areas. This approach also aims to make best use of existing facilities, reduce the need to travel and to protect the Green Belt and countryside beyond from urban sprawl and other damaging development.

It goes on to say that 5,600 extra dwellings are needed in Welwyn Hatfield by 2011. It also says the emphasis is on affordable housing 'within' settlements.

Where is the existing settlement land within Welwyn Hatfield that can be turned over to develop the extra affordable homes we need in the next seven years?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 07:52:09 pm by admin »

Offline Mooniemad

« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2004, 07:51:29 pm »
I think but am not sure. There is possible plans to develop on the old De Haviland site.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2004, 10:40:05 pm »
They're already developing the De Havilland/British Aerospace site - big new campus for the Poly (sorry, university) with insufficient car parking spaces, and loads of new houses (went to one on business this afternoon).

But, to be sure, there's plenty more land there waiting to be built upon.

Sorry to be contrary, but I once heard that even if we doubled the area of built up land, this would only reduce the area of "countryside" by 10%. So are we getting ourselves worked up for nothing?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Tags: