Linked Events

• North Mymms Spring Clean: April 17, 2005

Author Topic: Litter clearance  (Read 11515 times)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Litter clearance
« on: April 29, 2004, 02:48:53 pm »
Can you spare an hour or so on Sunday 16 May starting at 9.30am?  NMGreen Belt Soc and the local Scouts are collecting litter and would appreciate your help.  Welwyn Hatfield Council are providing ‘grabbers’, black bags, and gloves, and will collect the filled bags afterwards.

At each meeting point a GBS committee member will hand out the bags etc and information on where to collect litter.  The four meeting points are:

Bus stop at junction Dixons Hill Road and Swanland Road
Woodside Lane lay by, next to Texaco garage, Bell Bar
War memorial at entrance to North Mymms Park, Tollgate Road
Scout hut, Station Road.

Thanks in advance for all help in keeping the area a desirable place to live  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 01:37:06 pm by Editor »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Litter clearance
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 02:10:19 am »
Just replied to push this up the rankings again  ;D

The weather forecast for Sunday is lovely - why not come and spare an hour helping parts of the surrounding area look better?
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 06:46:31 pm »
Fine weather and a fine turnout!

Many thanks to all the Scouts, parents, Gobions Woodland Trust work party and everyone else who helped with this cleaning up of litter in the area.  Although the Brookmans Park station carpark was cleaned on the Sunday morning, when I went there at 2pm there was already a fast food drink container and food bag dropped on the carpark.  It makes you want to do something nasty to these litter louts, but what (within the law of course)

Offline Carolyn

• Opinions on some things
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 12:51:21 am »
I have not had time to visit this site for a couple of weeks, and nowI find I've missed out on helping on a project I would have liked to be involved with.

Congratulations to everyone who took part - a very commendable act of public service.

Sometime this summer I will be leaving Brookmans Park for New Zealand.  Tonight I am sitting here hoping I will find somewhere to live with the same sense of community.  I wouldn't go quite so far a to say I regret leaving, but I will miss the village and this sort of spirit.

Good luck with all your future projects.  Oh; and a "Well Done" to the green belt society on saving areas around Welham Green.
ex resident - now living in New Zealand

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 05:10:34 pm »
Thanks Carolyn for your kind words and enjoy your new life in NZ.  I am told that NZ is like Endland was 30 years ago.  Maybe they still have consideration for others, such as not dropping litter everywhere.  

Just for the record, about 20 Scouts and 6 parents, plus the Gobions Woodland Trust and an unknown number of others helped the Green Belt Soc in the litter clean-up.. Many thanks to you all.  There should be an article about it in this week's WH Times.

Offline NZer

• Opinions on many things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 06:20:17 am »
Unfortunately, we still have litter problems, but there aren't so many of us!!
Carolyn might be pleased to hear that we don't have quite the same parking problems that there are in BP - at least, not where I live -but then we also have parking meters.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 11:16:45 am »
The annual parish spring clean gets underway on Sunday 17.  It's organised by the North Mymms District Green Belt Society and the work starts at 10am. Volunteers will be given grabbers, bags, and gloves. There are four meeting places. Click here for more details.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 01:58:18 pm »
Bob,
Have you had any indication how many people will turn up?
David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 07:12:00 pm »
For those who missed out on the parish spring clean toay, there is a short report running on the site. Click here for more details.

Below, just some of the rubbish collected. This picture, and the one in the report courtesy of Bob Horrocks.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 08:52:56 pm »
Interesting to see the complete lack of 'general public' (to my knowledge) that were helping with the litter pick today - as far as I am aware it was just Green Belt Society committee members and scouts. Is this because people don't care about the litter in the area? They don't think it's their job? It was the wrong time or wrong day? (Can't blame it on the weather - was lovely outside today!) I'm sure our Irish Correspondent will put it down to general apathy - it that the reason?

James

Offline Margaret

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 09:00:55 am »
Could be a lot of people were watching friends and family running in the Marathon, raising funds for charity, as I was. (Watching that is, not running)

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 12:41:38 pm »
Usually I am reading the Sunday paper so it was very interesting to see the degree of activity on Sunday morning.  a pleasant

Lots of cyclists, including two on a tandem who gave us a wave, a gathering of Land Rovers (or whatever the collective term is -an Aylmer?) going down Woodside Lane, a gathering of vintage motor cycles including what looked like a Scott Squirrel water cooled motor cycle from the 1920s or 30s, plus runners/joggers.

Makes me feel quite lazy except my wife has got me out in the garden a lot these last few days.  Why can't gardens be at a less back-breaking height?

Whatever, many thanks to everyone who did help with the litter-pick.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 11:35:34 am »
Can you help please?

North Mymms District Green Belt Society has organised litter collections in 2004 and 2005.  We want to improve the appearance of our countryside as well as protect it from inappropriate development.  Final details of the 2006 collection will be in our annual Newsletter delivered to all homes in North Mymms parish at the end of February.

It will be on Sunday 2 April 2006 starting at 2.30pm.  Black bags, gloves and ‘grabbers’ will be provided, hopefully by Welwyn Hatfield Council again (many thanks!)

Could I ask two things:

1.   Can you spare an hour or two to help in this community activity?  The Scouts and our committee would be very pleased to see other community minded residents giving a hand.

2.   By 27 January, can you let me have suggestions for litter blackspots? Previous collections have been on (1) Swanland Road south from the junction with Dixons Hill Road, (2) Woodside Lane lay-by next to the Texaco Garage, Bell Bar, (3) War Memorial grounds, North Mymms Park entrance, and (4) Station Road from the station car park northwards.  We cannot collect on roads without a pavement which sadly means not on Bradmore Lane or Bulls Lane.

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
Litter at Brookmans Park station
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 10:21:18 pm »
Since I frequently walk down the slope to the ticket office at Brookmans Park station, I'm probably not the only one to have spotted the mess by the side of the pathway.

Here's the pic.

Since it doesn't appear to be getting cleared up, I dropped a note to the MD of London Lines and he has now written back telling me that they are arranging for it to be tidied up. Not that I've noticed that happening to date. It may be that the new franchise may delay the matter, but I'll write again if it's not dealt with.

Minor point I know, but I don't think there's any reason for the environment to be left in this kind of mess.

Here's the letter from the London Lines MD, Andrew Chivers for your information.

Grant Shapps MP

P.S. If you haven't done so already, please drop by the Welwyn Hatfield Forum at http://www.shapps.com/forum for a wide discussion on all things Welwyn Hatfield.

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Litter at Brookmans Park station
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 10:30:09 am »
the station car park and approach will be cleared as part of the third annual litter clearance on Sunday 2 April at 2.30pm.  The North Mymms District Green Belt Soc has already announced this in its annual newsletter which should have been delivered to all homes in North Mymms parish in the last few weeks.

Last year the Scouts had a lot of fun retrieving some of the litter which was on the railway side of the wire fence alongside the approach.  A true test of ingenuity!

All are welcome to join in once again this year.  An hour or two is all you are asked to do.  Bags, gloves and some litter-pickers are being provided by Welwyn Hatfield Council who will also collect the fiilled bags.  We meet at the Scout Hut, Station Road, and also a Gobions Open Space car park off Moffats Lane at 2.30pm

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 10:13:25 pm »
I've merged this with an existing thread on this issue. As Bob says, the annual, community litter pick takes place this Sunday 2 April 2006 starting at 2.30pm. 

Bob, can you post where people should gather (I realise you have probably done this before, so apologies for being thick).

David

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 11:00:23 pm »
Good luck Grant - here's the last letter I had from Network Rail last time I tried, followed by a letter from WAGN - still waiting for action to be taken - still - only been waiting 11 months eh....

James
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:09:52 pm by James Bentall »

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 11:41:49 am »

We meet at the Scout Hut, Station Road, and also a Gobions Open Space car park off Moffats Lane at 2.30pm on Sunday 2 April 2006.

The intention is to clear litter at these locations:

Gobions Open Space

Brookmans Park station and all of Station Road

Bluebridge Road from the bridge at the edge of Brookmans Park southwards and Hawkshead Road.  Welwyn Hatfield recommend that we do not  collect litter where there is no pavement.

All this work is voluntary and at the individual's own risk.  Sad but that has to be said, reflecting the age we live in.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 07:33:32 am »
Don't forget the annual parish litter pick tomorrow, Sunday, 2 April. Details below. Last year, 25 sacks of rubbish were collected. Click here to read about last year's event. A picture of two of last year's volunteers (below).

We meet at the Scout Hut, Station Road, and also a Gobions Open Space car park off Moffats Lane at 2.30pm on Sunday 2 April 2006.

The intention is to clear litter at these locations:

• Gobions Open Space
  • Brookmans Park station and all of Station Road
  • Bluebridge Road from the bridge at the edge of Brookmans Park southwards and Hawkshead Road.

NB: Welwyn Hatfield recommend that we do not  collect litter where there is no pavement.

All this work is voluntary and at the individual's own risk.  Sad but that has to be said, reflecting the age we live in.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 05:27:40 am »
According to Bob Horrocks of the North Mymms and District Green Belt Society, more than 25 bags of rubbish were collected by volunteers on Sunday. Bob emailed the picture below. In his email he wrote "about 40 Scouts and parents plus Green Belt Soc members collected the rubbish despite the heavy sleet shower mid afternoon."

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 09:02:19 am »
Well done everybody- just a shame that it should be necessary

Maybe we will all get a reduction in our Council Tax now (afterall isn't that the sort of thing we pay for?!!) ???

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 04:49:01 pm »
After my photo was taken another 15 filled bags were added which had been collected at Brookmans Park railway station, the car park and Station Road.  Also there was another 10 bags filled at the War Memorial and Tollgate Road.  Total this year was about 50 bags plus car tyres, a complete car wheel!  Well done everyone! ;D

Also thanks go to Welwyn Hatfield Council for providing black bags, gloves and litter-pickers, and collecting the filled bags today.

Offline Abbot

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 07:37:32 pm »
James and Grant,

Will your letters be forwarded to Capital Connect, or is all the paperwork and rubbish left with the old providers????

Abbot

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2006, 09:28:24 pm »
From the poster that has been put up at the station, WAGN's group station manager (ie the one who was meant to be coordinating the clearing up) has kept his job under the new owners, so I wouldn't hold your breath.....

James

Offline Grant Shapps MP

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 11:46:04 pm »
Well done to all those who worked to collect 50 bags worth of litter clearance. It has made a real difference to the area.

Obviously you wouldn't have been able to get beyond the fence on the left and right of the footpath down to the station and so I wrote to the new franchise First Capital Connect and enclosing my previous letter to WAGN (and pointing out James Bentall's letters too) about the rubbish to the side of the footpath.

They wrote back saying that it would be cleared within a week. I was rather sceptical, but in fact they were true to their word and the footpath down to the station is now clear.  Well done First Capital Connect!

Best wishes
Grant Shapps MP

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 10:38:09 am »
And well done Grant!

Tags: