Author Topic: Back-up drives  (Read 7097 times)

Offline mungroo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Back-up drives
« on: December 06, 2005, 09:46:53 am »
I want to buy an external hard drive that allows me to easily back-up the hard drive of my PC (nothing new there) - but I also want the option of having a separate partition on the external drive to save additional data that I wouldn't store on my PC. Does anyone know if this is possible ? Or maybe it's a given with such drives ?
All the specs that I read state they can be used as back-up devices or used to store additional data but they don't make it clear as to whether you can do both.
Any help appreciated.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Back-up drives
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 11:40:37 am »
Yes, you should be able to do what you want.

I'm asuming you will use a USB or Firewire external drive, once you connect this it will be recognised as another disk drive (I'm making the assumption that you're a Windows XP user) whereupon you can use Disk Management (right-click on 'My Computer', select 'Manage', then select 'Disk Management') to create partitions as you see fit.

I usually specify Iomega external drives (other makes available) which ship with Norton Ghost, this allows you to take a snapshot of your entire hard drive, alternatively you can just copy files to a folder, whatever you need to do. You can buy 250GB or bigger drives for well under 150 quid these days which should be enough for most backup applications.

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 12:11:09 pm »
Thanks
Yes - I want to use USB on XP. I was initially looking at Western Digital or Maxtor but I'll look into Iomega.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 12:47:51 pm »
Nothing wrong with Maxtor or WD - probably as much down to which one looks nicest and what's at the best price.

Look at :

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3SJV&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=iomega+hdd&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0&v=2

Not sure if this contains the Ghost software - if you need this I'd make sure before you purchase one.

Offline CarolineB

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 08:03:11 pm »
Just to say that I like the Western Digital external hard drives. Not the cheapest, but very sturdy and portable, and perfect for mobile users who need to carry it around. We have two. However, there are many external HD brands of various sizes around, and it depends on what you like and the price.

Caroline
Caroline

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:18:07 pm »
I went for the WD drive - so far so good.
It certainly looks solid enough !

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 06:28:39 pm »
I'm interested in purchasing a large external hard drive to store media and personal files, however before I make a purchase I was hoping to carry out some research.

Does anyone have any experiences of external  hard drives and if so would you recommend it?

Where would be the best place to find good deals for such a product?

Offline Lectricary

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:14:21 pm »
Instead of an external hard drive consider a "USB to IDE" adapter. This will enable you to connect any IDE hard drive for backup or a DVD or CD player hot swappable ubder Windows. Also when you update your pc with a larger disk drive the old one can be used as an the external drive.
Never over estimate a genius. Never underestimate a fool

Offline mungroo

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 08:03:32 pm »
There is already a thread on this topic
http://www.brookmans.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0
As noted I went for a Western Digital and I'm well pleased with it. The only downside is that is doesn't come with any software for automated back-ups - but these can be bought separately

Offline Mooniemad

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 08:11:12 pm »
Cheers I'll have a read through that thread.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 09:13:42 pm »
There is already a thread on this topic
http://www.brookmans.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0
As noted I went for a Western Digital and I'm well pleased with it. The only downside is that is doesn't come with any software for automated back-ups - but these can be bought separately

I've merged the two threads so that people can benefit from what was already written.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 09:15:32 am »
I'd recommend the Iomega 160GB HDD

This is a USB device and costs around 80 quid at dabs.com

Have purchased quite a few in course of my work and have been pretty good - the latest version has a sturdy aluminium case. backup software is included too I think.

Tags: