Author Topic: Is there any interest in a youth section?  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Is there any interest in a youth section?
« on: February 08, 2002, 11:56:06 pm »
I put a Youth Section up because I know we have an extremely active Scout troop and the Guides are also very busy.   I also thought the North Mymms Youth Club might find this useful.  But if people feel it is not needed this section could be closed down to reduce the number of categories.  Thoughts???   ???
« Last Edit: February 09, 2002, 01:09:07 am by admin »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Ferdie

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on most things
  • BP born and bred
Re: Is there any interest in a youth section?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2002, 10:27:29 am »
I often wonder the same, is there any interest in 'helping' the youth. There is plenty about 'nuisance youth', but young people are part of village life, yes, we were all young once! Yes, there is interest, but only when 'youth' cause a 'problem'. There is an excellent Centre in the village for use by all ages, but it would like to offer more for young people. The Centre is keen to hear from anyone who is interested in getting involved in this aspect of village life. Any volunteers, ideas welcome.

The Community Centre used to host youth activities on 4 nights a week, when there were volunteers and a full time Youth Worker appointed by Herts County Council. In the 1980's that worker was made 'redundant' as part of a 'rationalisation' of youth work in the county. Youth activities reduced, with only part time workers. Then 2 years ago, the part time youth workers had to leave due to changes in their full time jobs. Sadly, whilst there is still a club for teenagers at the Centre on a Monday night, few attend. Is there still a need from young people? The junior club, which had always operated on a voluntary basis has also been closed for 2 years due to a lack of helpers. The community does need it's youth activities, but it also needs people to run it. Interested? Contact me.
Martin Ferdinando
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 09:42:53 am by admin »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: Is there any interest in a youth section?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 02:17:30 am »
Speaking from the Scout Group's point of view, I have never really had any trouble getting occasional adult help - the vast majority of parents are fantastic, and quite willing to come along and assist at the occasional meeting or event.

The problems I have found with trying to get regular adult help is that by and large parents are too busy. The old notion of working from 9-5 just doesn't seem to exist any more - several fathers have said to me 'I'd love to help, but I'm never home from work in time' - this for meetings that start at 7pm.

I'm not blaming anyone, it just seems to be a sign of the times that people are too busy to take on much voluntary work, resulting in things like Scouting, Guiding and Youth Clubs suffering.

A particularly 'unique' problem that we seem to have in the village is the almost complete lack of certain age groups. It would be great, for example, if there were loads of 20 something yr olds around, as these are people who often don't have the responsibility of a family yet, or who aren't so high up the career ladder so have more free time in the evenings.

Unfortunately, with the exception of vet students who are manically busy all year, there are very few of these people around, simply because they just can't afford to live here!

I do believe that there is still a need for activities for young people. We are flourishing at the moment - our Scout Troop has increased in size about 400 percent in the last 3 years, with the total number of people attending meetings each week at the Scout Hut now well over 100. The demand is out there, but we do need the help to meet it!

If anyone would be interested in learning more about helping regularly with either Beavers (6-8yr olds), Cubs (8-10 yr olds), Scouts (11-14 yr olds) or Explorer Scouts (14-18 yr olds), please don't hesitate to contact me. I can't promise riches or fame, but you'd be surprised about how much fun it is, and how rewarding it can be...

James
Scout Leader, 2nd Hatfield (1st Brookmans Park)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 12:46:50 pm by admin »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Tags: