Author Topic: Swan Hotel - Bell Bar  (Read 10348 times)

Offline cpj14

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Swan Hotel - Bell Bar
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:30:58 pm »
My grandmother and grandfather used to run the Swan hotel and have come across various pictures, I was wondering where it would have been, and what stands in its place now and it anyone can shed any light on remembering anything about the hotel in the 1940s-1950s

Thank you very much for your help.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Re: Swan Hotel - Bell Bar
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 03:10:29 pm »
I was wondering where it would have been, and what stands in its place now and it anyone can shed any light on remembering anything about the hotel in the 1940s-1950s

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The picture (below) is of the White Swan and is taken from the book 'North Mymms Pictures From The Past' (click here for the book) and is in the 'Public Houses' section.

The entire book is reproduced on this site following permission from the North Mymms Local History Society.

Click on the picture below for a larger version.

The pub is now a private residence. It is at the juntion of Bell Lane, the Great North Road and Woodside Lane, on a spot which is opposite the Texaco garage. You can just see a garage in the picture (below), which was taken in 1982. Click here for a map showing the junction.

David
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:45:15 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 03:54:00 pm »
Here is another picture of the White Swan, taken c 1900 and from Chapter 11 of Peter Kingsford's book Victorian Lives in North Mymms, which is also on this site. Click here for all the pictures from the book.

The pub is also mentioned in another of Peter's books 'North Mymms People In Victorian Times'.  Click here for chapter 1, which mentions the pub. Click here for the book.

There is also a mention in another book on the site, 'A Modern History of Brookmans Park'. Click here for the index, or click here for the relevant chapter.

There are a number of mentions of licensees of the White Swan throughout the site. You can use the search facility to find more.

David

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Neville Hobbs

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:55:25 pm »
This house was occupied by the Brunt Family for many years - remember Brunts coaches yard in Bell Lane? I remember Mrs Shiela Brunt had several boys including Glen and Nigel. By coincidence, my wife Jo and I had dinner with Nigel Brunt and wife Carol-Anne last Saturday night -  nice couple. Shiela moved to Spain.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 06:56:29 pm by Neville Hobbs »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:54:18 pm »
Anyone know what beer they sold at the White Swan and whether it was a good pint? (Forget forum rules, it's shut now).

;)

David

Offline cpj14

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 11:39:48 pm »
Thank you very much for the information.

I thought that was where is was, i think a few years ago i went past and it just looked really familar, will have to visit again sometime soon

I think its very interesting that Neville you are still friendly with the son of the fmaily who lived there for many years, do you know rougly when they would have moved in?  or when it was converted to a house.  It was a members club, I have in my possession, a lovely letter from the chairman (looks like mr J Staplehurst) dated 29th June 1947 (headed paper is Swan Hotel) Bell Bar Ltd, phone number was 2594! thanking my nan and grandad, and someone called Mr John Riddell for all their hard work, during the time he was manager and secretary.  I know that there are inside photos of my grandad behind the bar, and wonder if I come across any other ones, interesting.
Thank you for your help.

Offline Neville Hobbs

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 05:20:09 pm »
I will ask some searching questions for you.
Neville

stromapilot

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 12:17:42 pm »
Hello,
I have reason to believe that William Anderson, the owner of the Swan Hotel in the 1830's era, was my great great grandfather.  I believe his wife was Hannah Torr, and his son, also William, became a publican in London.  William senior at one time was also attached to Woburn Abbey.
If anyone knows something of this family, I would be appreciative to hear.
thanks and regards,

Geoff Anderson
Canada

Offline cpj14

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 09:29:48 am »
Thats interesting Geoff, the hotel seems to have a lot of history attached to it, how did you find out that information, perhaps have a look at the census and see who the neighbours were etc, you may be able to find out when they were there for?

Neville, did you manage to find out any additional information from your friends?

stromapilot

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 11:40:03 pm »
Hello,
 Well, in response to the conjectured link,  Peter Kingsford's book mentions that a William Anderson owned the pub in the 1830's.  My great grandfather's (William Jr) birth cert 1839  indicates his father (the above William) was a publican, and he himself became one in Greenwich and London.  I don't have any info that says that William Sr of the swan is actually my grandfather, but two publicans of the same name this close together in time and space makes me think it is worth chasing down.
 In the 1840's they were at Woburn Abbey, which is not too far away from the Swan.  William Jr married Harriett Anne Woodcraft at Woburn in 1870.

Thanks for the interest,

Geoff

Offline epiphany

• Opinions on most things
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 09:41:21 am »
A planning application to demolish the Swan and construct a substantially larger apartment block was submitted to WHBC last week.

http://planning.welhat.gov.uk/plandisp.aspx?recno=63868%20%20%20

Personally, I would be very sorry to see this important part of Bell Bar's history disappear.

If you would like to comment, the consultation period ends 24 March 2016.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 12:45:38 pm »
I remember the house when it was owned by the Brunt family.

It has been a private house for as long as I can remember - perhaps a shame to see it go but surely its better to redevelop a rundown house and put a new building up that will house many more people rather than developing a green field site.

We have to accept that more homes are needed and this isn't such a bad option.

Tags: