Author Topic: Boundaries  (Read 4039 times)

Offline john

• Opinions on many things
Boundaries
« on: February 15, 2006, 04:52:48 pm »
please may I ask for some feedback comments please.   

From time to time issues arise that neighbours complain about trees around the edges of our fields.  For example:
~  some ask for them to be lopped so they don't drop leaves etc on lawns, washing, in to swimming pools, on to garage roofs, etc
~  some ask for them to be lopped so they can have a better view out over our land (altho walking on a footpath one then end up getting a rather starker view of the house property ...
~  some seem I'm afraid to favour a rather more direct course of action ... sometimes lopping, sometimes topping, in some cases cutting down (unless we have giant rabbits/ squirrels/ ... hereabouts)

Opinions polarise, with the majority so far seeming to take the line "why move to and spoil the countryside if you don't like trees & hedges  ... which are natural ... often were there first ... "

I'd be very grateful for any comments so's to get a wider sample please

thanks & bw to all -   john f

Offline Neville Hobbs

Re: Boundaries
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:34:35 pm »
John,
From my experience, no-one likes changes around their property. If a tree or bush is a certain size when people buy a house, then that is the correct size for ever!
Neville

Offline john

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:24:43 am »
thanks Neville.     You're saying that generally when people buy a property:

i)   they want to keep any trees/ bushes on their own acquired property or its surroundings as they are

They don't want to change any of it to suit their own preferences  ... ?

ii) they want to see trees/ bushes on other peoples' properties in the neighbourhood kept as they are ... ?

or have I misunderstood ?     Many thanks  -  john

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:07:10 am »
If hedges or trees obstruct the footpath you could advise Welwyn Hatfield Council, or Herts Highways. I am not sure which since the split of responsibilities seems to have changed recently.  Whichever it is, they should contact the householder and ask for the hedge/tree to be cut back.  Please note that I originally suggested contacting the parish council but the Parish Clerk tells me that the proper bodies to contact are as I now suggest.

As for branches overhanging over your land I believe you can cut them off but not destroy them since they are not your property.  But do not quote me since I am not an expert on this matter.  Not sure what you do with them except ask the owner what they want doing with them, or maybe throw them back over onto the land where they come from?

There is also the new law about high hedges aimed at Leylandii in particular, but I do not know the status of that law - is it now in effect?

Another aspect is dangerous trees.  The land owner has a responsiblity to ensure that their trees do not pose a risk to others.  As a parish councillor I know that the council has removed some trees on its land which had become dangerous.

Also what about tree roots?  Another legal minefield
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 04:10:37 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Offline mungroo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 09:49:18 am »
There is also the new law about high hedges aimed at Leylandii in particular, but I do not know the status of that law - is it now in effect?

I think my neighbour enforced this rule on the owner of the garden backing onto his i.e. the owner was forced to cut short some of his trees as they were blocking light. I will try to find out the details and report back !
I also have a VERY large willow in my neighbouring garden which is causing me concern. I'm going to have a chat with the owner to encourage them to have it trimmed...

Offline Cassie

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 11:05:21 am »
That's probably a good idea, I think it can affect you house insurance

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:53:33 pm »
Mugroo,

Have a look at this before you start messing with Willow

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13&

I remember someone telling me years ago how a mature willow had been lopped and then caused subsidence.

Regards.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 02:22:56 pm »
John,

Para (ii) applies, including other people extending.

No-one really likes changes to their surroundings unless the changes are of their own making.

Neville

Tags: