Author Topic: Google  (Read 19286 times)

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Google
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 12:34:11 am »
Without knowing anything about internet advertising, I was though suprised at just how much revenue had been generated in such a short space of time.

It seems the possibility of earning hundreds of dollars a month for such a small site may not be what it seemed. If something seems too good to be true, then it usually is.

I'd be very interested, whether through analysis of the logs or any other way, what the cause of Google's assertion that improper 'clicks' had been registered

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 07:05:39 am »
I'd be very interested, whether through analysis of the logs or any other way, what the cause of Google's assertion that improper 'clicks' had been registered

Hi Paul,

It could well have been my clicks when I was putting the ads on the site and testing the pages before making them live. I probably clicked on a dozen ads over the five days I was working on this so that I could see if they worked and to check the content I was inviting our site users to click through to. Perhaps it was that checking that caused the multiple clicks, but I can't believe that a dozen clicks from one IP address over a five day period raised $97.

My feeling is that there was a novelty factor in the first few days (when $16 and $14 was raised). That tailed off to about $8, $5 and $2 in the final days we were part of the scheme. My guess is that all were genuine clicks, either used to check the site or check out what was being displayed.

Or could it be that that Google got the hump? I wrote to them on Feb 2, the day before their repremand email, telling them we were withdrawing from Google AdWords (and removing their search engine from the site) because of their decision to allow the Chinese censors to interfere with their Chinese search results.

David

PS: I can post that reply (about the censorship) if anyone is interested in reading Google's reasons for its decision in China.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 08:27:15 am by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 08:24:24 am »
PS: I can post that reply (about the censorship) if anyone is interested in reading Google's reasons for its decision in China.
Yes please.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 08:29:12 am »
Hi John,

Here is what I wrote to Google (and their response, below).

Hi,

I've only been with your AdWords scheme for ten days and already it's raised almost $100, which is great for a non-profit making community site. However, I have taken the ads off for now until the situation with Google in China is clarified and resolved. Is there a news release available with Google's response to the criticism that freedom of expression is being damaged in that country?

Regards

David Brewer

Google replied...

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting us about Google.cn. We launched Google.cn for our users in the People's Republic of China who want to search and browse in Simplified Chinese. Making our site available to millions of users in their preferred language is a critical part of our mission to organize the world's information and to make it universally accessible and useful.

At first, Google.cn will serve Google Web Search, Google Image Search, Google Local, and Google News. Over time, we'll provide more Google services tailored for the China market. In launching Google.cn, we aim to balance three important values: users' interests, expanding access to information, and responding to local conditions in the markets we serve.
Prior to this launch, many users in China were unable to access our site, and those who were able to access it often experienced persistent latency, delay, and time-out issues. With Google.cn, users can now access much more information, much more quickly.

As you may know, to operate a web service in China, we must remove a small percentage of content from the search results available on Google.cn. The decision to do that was not an easy one for Google, in light of our mission "to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful." After a long process of study, analysis, and debate about the many technical, business, and ethical considerations, we concluded that the best available option was to provide our Chinese users with a search service that, while filtered, will be faster, more reliable, and, overall, more comprehensive than what's available today. Given the current filtering that's performed on the entire internet in China, Google.cn will provide no less information than would otherwise be available. In fact, we believe that our advanced, innovative search technologies will make a noticeable net increase in the amount of information accessible to our Chinese users.

So, while removing this content may seem inconsistent with our mission, we believe that Google.cn will significantly improve the user experience and increase the overall accessibility of information in China. Our view is that providing as much information as possible is better than providing no information at all -- or providing such a heavily degraded user experience that it basically amounts to no information. Moreover, we think it's important to give users some meaningful disclosure whenever some results have been removed; in those cases, Google.cn clearly presents a message that says, "In response to local laws, regulations, or policies, one or more search results do not appear." It's also worth noting that Google.com will continue to be available, unfiltered, for all internet users worldwide, including those in China.

China is developing rapidly, thanks in no small measure to the internet.
We firmly believe that with Google's culture of innovation, we can make meaningful and positive contributions to the already impressive pace of development in China.

We appreciate your interest in Google and your taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Regards,
The Google Team

The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 05:29:00 pm »
A worrying story on BBC News Online about potential invasions of privacy with the Google desktop.

"Unless you configure Google Desktop very carefully, and few people will, Google will have copies of your tax returns, love letters, business records, financial and medical files, and whatever other text-based documents the desktop software can index.

"The government could then demand these personal files with only a subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need to seize the same things from your home or business."

Particularly worrying as the following quote was Google's suggestion of how to substantiate the company's claim that the Brookmans Park Newsletter had been generating invalid clicks through suspicious activity.

If, in the future, you suspect that invalid clicks may have resulted from a visitor to your site, we suggest that you review your site's logs for any suspicious activity and notify us with your findings. This information can help us in resolving any issues, although as outlined in our Terms and Conditions, Google will use its sole discretion when determining instances of invalid clicks.

I replied to Google and pointed out this site's privacy policy which rules against such invasions of privacy.

John_fraser

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 05:44:32 pm »
I believe that this will only happen if you install version 3 and do not explicitly turn this feature off. However, I feel that this is an inherent risk to security and privacy. Therefore I removed Google Desktop from my PC earlier today. 

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 05:54:02 pm »
Hi John,

How do you remove it. I don't think I have it on my PC, but I have a Mozilla Firefox toolbar which has Google search. I have been trying to remove it (the Google search bit I mean, not the Mozilla Firefox), but I can't figure out how to. It doesn't seem to be an option. Mind you, I guess that is different from the Google Desktop?

David

John_fraser

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 06:08:22 pm »
As far as I know this only applies to Google Desktop, which has uninstall software. You can also remove it via Control Panel -> Add/Remove programmes

If you want to remove the Google Tool Bar from Firefox, in FireFox go to Tools  then Extensions. You then need to click on “Google Toolbar for FireFox”. Then click on remove. Finally you will need to close all instances of Firefox and restart them. It should be gone when you restart.

I’m hanging onto the toolbar for now.

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2006, 06:26:58 pm »
Thanks John.

David

Offline mungroo

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2006, 09:19:24 pm »
Guys
just to clarify - Google desktop is totally different to Google toolbar (searchbar) right ? ...and the toolbar (search) is safe - correct ?

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2006, 09:22:01 pm »
Guys
just to clarify - Google desktop is totally different to Google toolbar (searchbar) right ? ...and the toolbar (search) is safe - correct ?

Yep, the Google Desktop, referred to in the BBC News Online article is a different product.

David

Online Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 08:08:12 pm »
Google seems to be keeping an eye on the Brookmans Park Newsletter. I’ve just received an email from Google AdSense asking why the ads had been removed from the site and asking whether they can help.

I replied saying the best way they could help would be to not accuse the site of fraudulent clicks and to introduce a proper search engine in China that doesn’t distort history and ignore human rights abuses.

I also said they could donate the $97 the site raised in the ten days we were with the scheme on a charity of their choice. I’ll let you know what they say.

:)

David

Tags: