Author Topic: Site user statistics  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
Site user statistics
« on: January 01, 2006, 08:30:57 am »
Almost a third of a million pages of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum were downloaded in 2005 as 1,800 messages were posted on 700 local topics. It brings the total number of posts on the forum to almost 8,000 since it was set up four years ago.

This site would like to thank The Positive Internet Company for their continued support in hosting the Brookmans Park Newsletter for no charge, despite the steadily increasing traffic.

Positive is monitoring the situation and the Brookmans Park Newsletter team is aware that if the traffic continues to increase at the current rate, we will probably need to find funds to pay for our hosting costs.

Click here for more details.

Editor's Note: Edited to change title only.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 07:56:20 pm by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Site user statistics
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 04:53:14 pm »
Dave

A hit is not necessarily the same as a page when dealing with web statistics.

The front page of the site  for example consists not only of an HTML page but bitmaps too. The total number of 'components' that makes up the page is the 'hit' count.

So it would be possible / probable that the number of pages viewed is somewhat less than a third of a million.

Still quite an impressive result though !

And happy new year to everyone.......

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 07:56:11 pm by Editor »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 04:58:15 pm »
Hi Paul,

The forum stats are different to the front page stats. Every time a page is loaded the 'hit' counter increases by one only. I realise that hits are different from page views and that hits are not usually reliable. However, for the forum the number given on the stats page - click here for the stats page - are for the number of times a page is downloaded.

Try it yourself.  Visit the stats page . Note the number on the right for this month and hit refresh. It will increase by one. If it was counting bitmaps etc that would increase by far more for each refresh.

David

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 07:56:29 pm by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 05:32:34 pm »
I think that the figures are accurate then, just the terminology used is not strictly correct.

Web statistics are a notoriously black art to interpret and rarely accurate as certain factors such as cacheing proxy servers and the like mean it is impossible to truly know how many times pages have been viewed.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 07:56:38 pm by Editor »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 05:41:49 pm »
Thanks Paul, I've sent you a link to site's overall stats page and a password so you can help me interpret them.

I must admit, I found it hard believe that so many forum pages had been downloaded, but with the 37,000 pages registered for November alone, it soon ads up.

I've changed the wording of the story to leave out hits in the main text - you are right, it's too confusing. It works okay for the headline as a verb rather than a noun, I think

Thanks for your input.

Dave

« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 07:56:47 pm by Editor »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 08:41:23 am »
For those still interested, the 2005 statistics for the whole site, including the forum, show that the average successful request for pages per day was 1,984. This amounts to 706,188 pages downloaded over the year. Thanks to sasquartch for his help in interpreting the figures.

David

« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 11:59:53 am by Editor »

Tags: