Author Topic: do something  (Read 22597 times)

wilks02

do something
« on: September 11, 2002, 09:58:56 pm »
Hey people
For good sake we no that children are hanging round on the streets and we do nothing. And we all know that a kids out at 11pm are not going to go to a youth club.
what they want is fun and adrenalin. what brookmans park needs is a skatepark.
they need somewhere to express themselves and relese some energy, and not every one likes footbal.
later

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
  • Keep :-)
    • Brookmans Park Newsletter
Re: do something
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2002, 10:07:27 pm »
Yes, I know.

I am trying to do something - see my earlier posts. Parish Council have more or less given me permission to take things further with regards to building a skatepark around Gobions somewhere, however I do need to find a lot of money :)

I've been away for 3 weeks, and have just started a new job, but when everything has settled down, will be posting a note on hear and probably distributing something to Chancellors as well about how we need to proceed to try and get something built.

James

Editor's Note: Here is a link to previous Skatepark thread. click here.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2002, 10:14:02 pm by admin »
James Bentall, Brookmans Park, Herts.
I post in a personal capacity and not on behalf of North Mymms Parish Council

Offline Neville Hobbs

• Opinions on many things
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 05:46:44 pm »
Quite agree. It may stop the youths hanging around my office at night making a mess!

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 07:55:06 pm »
Does that mean you'd be easily persuaded to put a donation towards the skate park then?  :P

James

Offline Oly

• Well, I say
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2002, 12:53:09 am »
 ;DThe problem with brookmans park is that there is nothing to do at all!!. Why do kids hang around? because they have nothing to do, I presume that we are talking about teenagers here. Im a teenager but I dont hang around in the village because I always go to Potters bar or Barnet where they have a number of pubs-I know im only 17 but young teenagers i.e 14,15 and 16 cant get into pubs so they just hang around and cause a nuisance. If they had something to do such as a skate park or just a place to hang out away from the village so people would not get fed up with nuisance youths then it would be fine because they have a place to go and no one would complain.

Offline Margaret

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 02:27:44 am »
Can somebody explain to me why teenagers cause problems because they "have nowhere to go", I don't remember having anywhere to go, or the money if there was anywhere to go, but we didn't take it out on other people or there property. If they need somewhere to go why don't they do something about it instead of expecting others to and stop moaning. ???

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2002, 05:05:33 pm »
 To be honest I agree with Margaret. Why should we be given say a skatepark if we can't respect other everyday structures and items?

wilks02

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2002, 09:06:37 pm »
hey
look in anwser to margret times have moved on. you cant ignore the fact that they have. Children these days will not read a book for fun. its true. they need to relese pent up energy. and reading a book or playing board games wont do this.

and in anwser to james bentall yes i would put in a donation yes. But why should we need loads of money whe all we need in a saftey adviser and a local handy man who will help out? we need this. we really need this. :P
later

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2002, 11:20:10 pm »
Kids have energy that must be burnt off. If it isn’t done in sport or constructively some – though not all - will use it destructively. The devil makes work for idle hands. As the farther of two boys I’d like to see more facilities for them. Even if they won’t be using them for another twelve years. Teenagers are as important part of this community as anyone else but they have almost no facilities.

Good luck James with your efforts and before you ask, you can put me down for a donation.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2002, 12:01:45 am »
In reply to Wilks02

I know of plenty of children who will quite happily read a book or play a game...

Times have moved on - I think the difference is between our era and our parents is that our parents would put a lot more effort into creating their own entertainment than we will ever do now - we are so used to having entertainment provided 'on demand', we just can't be bothered to do anything that requires too much effort...

Although it would be possible to do something with a safety adviser and a local handyman, that would still cost money! Also, as a general rule, the more money that is spent on something, the longer it will last.

In reply to Margaret

I don't think the kids in the village are really causing  much trouble - it's just a bit intimidating for some people. I live in Bradmore Green, and although Friday nights can be a bit noisier than other nights of the week - so what? I wouldn't describe it as a trouble hotspot by any means. I don't see anything wrong with teenagers, or anyone else for that matter, choosing to meet their friends there. Trouble is, at the moment, there is nowhere else in the village for them to meet.

When things at work have quietened down (ha!) - probably around the school half term - I will start seriously thinking about the skate park again, and will have to ask the potential users of it to come up with ideas both for the park and how to raise money for it - I'm certainly not doing it all myself.

To John

James

Offline anna

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2002, 04:02:26 am »
Well done to you James, and I hope you get a lot of support. I would also hope that the people who are going to use this skate park will help out.  I don't care what age you are, the same thing applies, if you work hard for something you really appreciate it...........if it's handed to you on a plate you don't understand it's worth.

It will also be up to the people using it to make sure it doesn't become a place to drop litter, fag ends, or take drugs!! I am sure that if they treat it with respect, they will earn the respect of the community.

If there are any fundraising things going on........please let me know. One thing I noticed when I went to the open evening at Chancellors, was the talent some of them had. A great band played, and some classical music as well...........I hear their Drama department is good too........how about an entertainment evening, perhaps have an art gallery as well.......and Yes, I will offer to help out and sell tickets!!

wilks02

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2002, 08:39:53 pm »
Hey people. (especially anna- i belive you have the right idea about this and fund raising would be great.)

I have some plans drawn up using all my graphic skills, i dont know if any one wants to see them?

so any way the sooner the fund raiser the better.

look margret... you know plenty of children who would like to read a book for fun or play snakes and ladders for fun? are they six years old? no.. face the fact children need adrenalin, what ever the age. in fact i've seen a 8 year old doing tricks that all adults think are hard.

this will really bring the comunity together as well a boost local economy.
later

Astra

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2002, 09:01:39 pm »
Hate to bring you all down but surely making a skate park will only move the youths that are hanging around on the streets and then the skate park will become a congregation area for hoodlums and junkies just as Gobions has become lately.

Why is nobody complaining about the lack of things for adults to do in this village.

Maybe we should consentrate on promoting some family activities within the village.  Parents need to spend more quality time with their children not pack them off to run riot at a skatepark with no supervision.

Astra

John_fraser

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2002, 09:56:06 pm »
Adults have a home. When I was 15 the last place I wanted to be was at home, with all the restrictions that went with being there. I wanted to be with my friends, even if we just stood around because there was nowhere to go. While there does need to be activities for families, part of being a teenage is wanting some space of your own. The idea of a skate park is to give people something to do, but nothing will stop an adult joining in or going with their children.

I did not realise there was a problem with hoodlums and junkies in BP.

wilks02

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2002, 10:09:10 pm »
hey
and god bless john_fraser! finaly someone with their eyes open, who knows what he is talking about. And i agree when was the last time you saw heroin taking skin heads starting riots in brookmans park.

trust me the people who will want to go to this park will be dads with young kids or teen-agers doing what they do best, skate.

later

John_fraser

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2002, 10:23:27 pm »
<blush>

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2002, 11:03:54 pm »
I have really resisted taking part in this one however.
Oh  best to say nothing.
Oh I will now I am here.
John when I was 15 I would have loved a BP lifestyle rather than having to go out with my "mates"
Between 16 & 21 I was totally knackered doing my apprenticeship and night college, but it did not stop me doing evening classes in fencing, golf and riding. All on an apprentices wage. Secret the local authority evening classes, they cost little, teach you and help you make friends. Of course you have to do things properly and not muck about.
Wish I had, had the brains to be a scout, again lots of good things to do, with enthusiastic people.
Any one who hangs around street corners is a looser.
Notice that there is no problem for some youngsters around here when it comes to money for chips, tabs and tinnies :(
The last time I saw "youngsters" smoking joints was over Gobions this summer, but so what its legalish enit?
just bakes your brain for life.
Skatepark, well as long as it does not detract from the peace of Gobions for Llamas and other creatures.
I can not see why the LA should not pay for it because PB and H seem to get freeish facilities, around here nothing, wether you are 7 or 70, perhaps thats why people settle here because there is nothing?
All right there is the Golf Club and the Tennis Club but enough said ;)
End of visit,
regards,
jet

Mary_Morgan

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2002, 12:27:25 am »
I am not there, but I do not perceive on my visits that there is much of a problem with teenagers in BP, these days.  

In the 50s and 60s we used to hang around the green (nothing changes) because there was  nowhere else to go.  We did no harm and nobody perceived that we were doing any harm - most of the time ;)  There was the odd complaint from flat dwellers, but not much.   I don't think too many of us turned out to be deliquents - wll maybe this one  ;)  We also had some pretty good parents who made our friends welcome in their homes and did not place silly restrictions on us (sensible ones, yes), so we were also off the streets quite a lot of the time.

Astra - why complain about not much for adults to do.   Adults, have the choice whether to live in BP or not and also  have the ability to go out and do things (it is called a driving licence), there are oodles of things out there - rotary, rotaract, inner wheel, tennis, line dancing, wea  (does it still exist), dare I say it - freemasonry, badminton etc etc etc

James, you mention that "times have moved on .... our parents ... creating their own entertainment...".  I am probably your parents age - yes we created our own entertainment and so did my parents, why do parents not do it now.  I think some of them probably do.  Are not the PTAs of both BP School and Chancellor still active community organisations that create their own entertainment - I thought they were.  Why do adults and children expect everything to be handed to them on a plate - is there no original thought, and responsibility for ones own actions these days.

Jet - I might not have served a seven year apprenticeship (at 15 your were out working - I was still at school generously paid for by Hertfordshire County Council - who had the better deal - neither of us - it was much the same - hard work and not much money).  But a lot of my chums from BP and the surrounding area did do apprenticeships, and I did have saturday/ holiday/evening  "jobs" - drew the line at a paper round.   We were not all little rich kids.   Yep sure it was a pretty rosy place to be brought but that didn't mean we didn't have to work for our education and pleasure.

That said, I think a skatepark is a brilliant idea - only wish I had the energy and the knowhow/balance (take more water with it :D).  

Toodle pip for now.

Mary

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2002, 01:22:20 am »
Dear Mary,
16-21= 5 years ??? ??? ??? ???
Must say sorry to any younger people who may feel I am having a dig, I am not I am just saying the fitness of youth soon goes, it is followed by the responsibility of being an "adult".
Grab those wasted "chilling out times" plenty of time for chilling out when you are mine and Marys age ;) ;) ;) and do things, try anything no matter how daft, you may enjoy it, you may excel.
Whats wrong with angling at Gobions, go to Hatfield Angling and enquire or Join the LAA they have waters in St Albans, Or Bowmans farm. Don't say you can't get there. If old jet could cycle 20 miles when he was 12 to get out to S. Mimms or the Lea valley, Cheshunt etc surely the fit youngsters of today can manage it. Before someone says it, there were cars and trucks for us oldies to dodge not just horses and carts ;) ;)
Must be something that can be arranged with the schools, they all have gyms, they can't say no as we own them don't we?
regards,
jet
« Last Edit: September 17, 2002, 12:43:26 pm by jet »

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2002, 11:14:53 am »

Whats wrong with angling at Gobions, go to Hatfield Angling and enquire or Join the LAA they have waters in St Albans, Or Bowmans farm.

Maybe not everyone likes angling Jet. Some people like skating. Hence the need for a skateboard park :)

James

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2002, 11:17:34 am »
all my graphic skills, i dont know if any one wants to see them?

Yes please! Hang on to them for a few weeks, and look out for things starting to get going around the middle of October time...

James

Offline jet

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2002, 12:37:40 pm »
Dear James,
Just making a suggestion aimed at broadening peoples horizons, not competing with the skatepark idea.
Personally the less people that go fishing the better for me ???
Still I suppose to be a good angler would take a lot more skill, craft and patience than most would like to attempt. :o
regards,
jet
The skateboard park is a want not a need? Hope your subject is not English, what with Mary's maths ;) ;) ;) ;)

Spelling corrected on advise of JB :-X :-X :-X
« Last Edit: September 17, 2002, 03:32:42 pm by jet »

Astra

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2002, 08:47:14 pm »
Not wishing to detract from the idea of a skate park, are we not merely pandering to the wants of the minority.  I have lived in BP more years than you youngsters have been on this earth and I can say, hand on heart, that in that time I have seen very few skateboarders or roller skaters.  I have seen more joggers than skaters, more anglers than skaters, more kids hanging around on street corners than skaters.  Does that not make the skateboarders a minority.  Maybe something should also be done to the swings area of Gobions so that smaller children can enjoy the park.  It is a disgrace over there.  Maybe something should be done about the dog mess all over the grass.  That really is disgusting.

Perhaps we should improve what we already have before starting on a new project or will the new skate park turn into a mess through lack of care like everything else.

Astra

Offline anna

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2002, 09:08:24 pm »
Excellent point Astra!!! The Gobians should be made into an area that everyone can enjoy! I admit I rarely take the children over there because of dog mess and the childrens play ground is a waste of time.  MIght be of interest for people to know that when I did take my over there, people were saying I should let him off the lead as he could run freely. I chose to keep him on the lead, that way if he does his business I know and can clear it and there were young kids playing football and I didn't feel it fair to let my dog run around.

I'm not against the skate park, but Astra is right, we have young children who need to let off steam as well. And plenty of more "mature" people who like to be use the Gobians as well........some to just sit and relax, some to go for a run away from car fumes..........

Perhaps the community should all join together on this one.

wilks02

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2002, 09:49:40 pm »
look, skating is an up and coming sport and hasn't even been around as long as some of the middle aged people in this village!

skating has only been well know for about 9 years and is getting more popular every day. and there are over 30 skaters/BMXers, roller bladers in this village who would benifit from the skate park.

i know plenty of people who like to relax by watching skaters weave thier magic on ramps. its is important.

it will also bring people in from out side BP hence boosting the economy!
later

Offline anna

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2002, 10:54:44 pm »
hmm, wilks02 not sure that saying it will bring people into the village is the best way to promote the idea.

I don't think there will be many people who will get excited about the idea of even more kids hanging around from all the local areas.

Believe it or not, when I was younger we did have skates and Skate boards were the new Craze. We didn't have local skate parks, we had to get on the bus or cycle with board under arm to get to where we wanted.  No one is saying it's not a good idea, simply that there are a lot of things needed in the area for all age groups.  Saying that, I'm going off the idea if it means bring more kids to the area, also wonder if parents will be involved with picking up and dropping off which might mean more cars and parking problems..........hmmmmmmm  ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2002, 04:05:24 am by anna »

wilks02

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2002, 11:36:06 pm »
i take it back ;)

Offline Mooniemad

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2002, 12:25:41 am »
 Astra the reason you don't see many skateboarders in the area is mainly due to there being a lack of facilities for them to use. Where as with a fisher they have the lake and with a jogger there are plenty of paths. However I do agree that the current facilities need improving.

Offline James Bentall

• Opinions on everything
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2002, 01:51:30 am »
The area that the council have said they were be happy for a skate park to be built (subject to me coming up with more detailed plans, financing arangements etc, etc) is not the main Gobions field where the swings are - it is the one to the West of it, accesible through a hole in the hedge below the swings.

With my Scout Leader hat on, I would love to see Gobions a dog mess free area, however struggle to see - without people just being more careful - however that could become a reality.

James

Offline Margaret

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2002, 12:15:06 pm »
I have just re-read my last message and I didn't mention reading a book or playing board games or any problems with teenagers in Brookmans Park, in fact I have a teenager of my own and have already been through the teenager stage with my other two children so I am fully aware that things have changed and times have moved on. My point is that if there is a group of skaters (or any other group) who need facilities why don't THEY do something about it and spend some time organising it rather than expecting somebody else (like a busy James Bentall) to do it for them, fund raising is a great idea and something they could do themselves.
As to facilities in and around Brookmans Park, there are a lot of things going on for the young and old if you are prepared to take the rough with the smooth, there are many organisations that arrange things (like the scouts) which bring entertainment and fun if you are prepared to do your bit to help.
On an entirely different tack please note the spelling of my name, a slightly sour note I know but it does annoy me.
Best wishes to all in whatever you do.
Margaret

Tags: