Poll

A roundabout, yes or no???

Yes please.
No thanks.

Author Topic: Welham Green Roundabout anyone???  (Read 6253 times)

Offline bazza

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
Welham Green Roundabout anyone???
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:52:33 am »
I dont know if it's been proposed before, but how about a roundabout at the junction of Dixon's Hill Road and Dellsome Lane?
It would mean everyone had a chance of getting out of Dellsome Lane, especially at school times, as well as slowing the traffic around the Zebra crossing.
Also, how would one go about getting this done???
 ???
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:37:50 pm by bazza »

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Welham Green Roundabout anyone???
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:18:57 am »
Ring up the Highways department and ask them ??? I'm sure the Council offices would be able to tell you who to call

Offline Abbot

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 09:31:48 am »
When I was living in Welham Green, and the hairdresser on the corner use to have cars going in his front window, before the Welham Green chicane, and Station Road roundabout, he informed me there was not enough room to install a roundabout. Ofcourse rules change so perhaps it would be a good question.

Offline bazza

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 09:46:15 am »
I've just phoned the council and been asked to put it in writing which I'm about to do. It does seem a little tight on space, but a painted mini-roundabout would allow traffic to turn but still give right of way to traffic on the right. The chicane was removed some time ago, and traffic from the Station Road roundabout still reaches quite a speed by the time it gets to the green.
I'll let you all know how it goes.
Cheers
Bazza

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 09:57:39 am »
You can also post details on the Hertfordshire Highways site where there is a form for registering traffic congestion, which I suppose this is all about. Click here for the interactive forms page and scroll down to the traffic and parking issues section. You can put in the road name and report any congestion issues there.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 11:22:33 am by Editor »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on many things
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 11:18:39 am »
I'm not sure that this is a good idea. 

The mini roundabout at the junction of Station Road and Dixons Hill Road is lethal when approaching from Station Road.  I don't know if it's because they can remember when there wasn't a roundabout, or whether they're just morons, but there are a significant number of drivers (particularly who come from the A1000 direction) who just don't slow down.  So if you're trying to turn right or left there, don't assume that because you're on the roundabout, that other drivers will give way to you.  I've had a number of close calls there.  At least with a junction it's clear whose right of way it is.

Still, what do I know, I thought the chicane was a good idea because it slowed people down!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 11:23:50 am »
Hi ADM,

If you find that roundabout dangerous perhaps you should report that online too?  Click here for the interactive forms page and scroll down to the traffic and parking issues section. You can put in the road name and report any congestion issues there.

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 11:56:06 am »
Yeah and then I could ask the police to do something about the illegal parking, burglaries, shop break-ins.  Then I could appeal to dog owners not to let their dogs cr*p all over Gobions.  Then I could reason with the witless adolescents who hang about the village green Friday and Saturday night not to intimidate people, race up and own in cars and on bikes, drop litter and generally make the place look like a troglodyte breeding-ground.  Then I could ask people who drive through the village to slow down a bit and think of the children.  Then I could ask cat owners to keep their cats in unless they enjoy seeing them flattened.

Let's face it Dave, if we wait for these people to do something I ask, we'll be waiting a long, long time.

Now I'd better go and have a pill, I'm feeling a bit dizzy.

Offline bazza

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 06:44:57 pm »
I think the problem with Station Road is that you can't see right at the junction and have to edge out so far you almost might as well just go for it. It's true people speed up to that roundabout, but if there were another one at Dellsome Lane, most folk wouldn't have accelerated much by the Station Road one.
How about making the top end of Station Road one-way? Traffic only goes south then northbound traffic would use the part of Dellsome Lane by the green. That bit of Dellsome can be a hazard anyway as people don't give way at station road. Makes sense to me.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Media consultant
  • Journalism trainer
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 06:59:12 pm »
I think there is also a problem that is common to all roundabouts, but seems more problematic with that mini roundabout. It seems to me that not a lot of drivers understand that they must, to quote the highway code, 'give priority to traffic approaching from your right'. I frequently find people treat that mini roundabout like a through road. It's noticeable as you return to Brookmans Park from Colney Heath. There are also many drivers who cut across the central markings, which you are not supposed to do. Click here for the relevant chapter.

Offline chicken legs

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 11:23:28 pm »
Living in Welham Green, and working at Water End, I must have used the Station Road roundabout hundreds of times and think I could count on the fingers of - well, certainly two hands - the number of times drivers coming from the A1000 have not given way to me turning right coming from Water End.  But I do agree that vision coming out of Station Road is terrible.

I, too, was sorry when the chicane was removed.

When we had some consultation about the traffic in Welham Green before the chicane was installed, there was pressure for a roundabout at the junction of Holloways Lane and Dixons Hill Road, but we were told there was insufficient space there too. 

Offline bazza

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 11:42:22 pm »
Lets have the poll then folks.  ;D
It's still early days as I've not heard back from the council yet, but if enough of us are in favour Im prepared to fight for it.

Offline bazza

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 05:50:54 pm »
Hi Folks,
I got a reply from Herts Highways today. As others have suggested, there is insufficient space for the mini-roundabout and the cost of buying extra ground is too expensive. Worryingly, they state the justification for the mini-roundabout is not there as the number of personal injury accidents is too low! I guess this means someone needs to get hurt first.
But, they say Dixons Hill Road is in their top 20 to do list. It may get some new signs and marking in the 06-07 budget year as a small scale traffic calming scheme.
What do you folks think?
Reading between the lines, if more of us wrote in, it may push it up the list.
 :(

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 12:36:01 pm »
I believe that the chicane was removed do to the long traffic jam it caused during rush hour/hours! >:(

Rocket.

Offline Birch

• I am God (no really!)
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 01:56:58 pm »
Living in WG, the problem is that many drivers go far too fast and don't understand the 'give way to traffic on the right' rule.  I don't think adding another roundabout will help.  What is needed is something to slow traffic down from BOTH ends of the village.  Although, I don't like 'em, speed bumps would certainly slow traffic down.  The mini roundabout in WG is dangerous as cars drive straight over it far too fast and don't bother to see whose trying to turn out at it.

Could someone suggest bumps to the council?

Offline Rocket

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 02:24:42 pm »
Speed Camera's would slow the traffic down and in Brookmans Park! ;)

Rocket

inda_loft

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 06:03:28 pm »
I make road signs in PB so if yuou want one that sais: DON'T DRIVE SO FAPPIN FAST!!! just let me know.

Tags: