Author Topic: Collecting Fire Wood  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Mallow

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Collecting Fire Wood
« on: December 12, 2005, 12:45:27 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone know the law on collecting fire wood.  For argument sake just suppose I happened to be riding my quad bike through North Mymms Park with my chain saw on the back, would it be legal to saw up and take home the odd tree trunk/branch that just happened to be lying in the woods.  I'm not talking about felling trees just tidying up the one that have fallen by natural causes.

I recenlty noticed some wood has been fly tipped in Bradmore Lane.  This I assume is fair game although I would hate anyone to think I was dumping it rather than removing it.

Any information gladly received.

;D
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
Re: Collecting Fire Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 10:37:59 am »
Do you have authority to ride your quad bike in North Mymms Park?  Or wherever you ride your machine?

Certainly not on Gobions Open Space because it is illegal - read the Parish Council By-laws on www.northmymmspc.ukf.net.

My understanding is that you can ride it on a BOAT (Byeway Open to All Traffic) but not on bridle ways, public footpaths, public open spaces etc.  If you drive it off the BOAT into fields you are most likely to be trespassing which is breaking the law. 

Offline john

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 12:45:58 pm »
a few idle thoughts:   I'd start from the point of view that any timber (live, lying, ...) belongs to the owner of the land which it's on.  Thus to remove it without consent is technically theft  (cf  when/if you trim back a neighbour's tree which is over-growing your property, the presumption is that you must offer the arisings back to the owner of the tree ...).

As to fallen timber (or pine cones ... (;-) ) I'm inclined to the view that each of us tends only to think about what we "take" ourselves, and thus overlook the potential cumulative impact of everyone else ... (having a current programme in the conservation of fallen timber (elsewhere) in support of the stagbeetle population ...

As to roadside salvage:   chemical residues from timber treatments, paint/nails/ glass (having had to help put someone together who'd thought to "recycle" some old timber windowframes in their fireplace without having spotted the razorlike shards ... !)  ... or the even possibility that a passer-by might think you're the fly-tipper ... ?

Rattled_Cage

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 07:02:35 pm »
i have a lovley felled fir tree  in my garden about 40 foot long 12inch thick just the trunk no branches etc
your welcome to come and cut it up and take it away
and i should think  if you ask permission of any  land owner to remove fallen trees from his land he would be more than happy to let you take them away

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 02:23:25 pm »
Do you have authority to ride your quad bike in North Mymms Park?  Or wherever you ride your machine?

Yes.  I knew someone would challange me on that. 

It is road legal I am licenced to ride it, it is insured, I don't legally have to wear a crash helmet but I do and I only ride on BOATs and RUPP.  And... I certainly would not ride it in Gobions open space simply because I would not want to get dog poo all over the tyres!!!!!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 06:34:51 pm »
The BOAT category can be really confusing. We nearly got run down by a quad bike on a BOAT between Wild Hill and West End last year. There were four of them going one hell of a lick. I think they were having a race. It was near the point where the BOAT crosses the footpath from Essendon to West End (a walk I haven't yet added to the walks section of the site - and following that experience I am not sure I will). I suggest people take extra care walking on BOATS. Those driving vehicles on them are within their rights too, it's just gets a bit dodgy at times. I am not a big fan.
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

John_fraser

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 06:51:13 pm »
OT – but it bugs me – Why a ‘quad’ bike? A bike is short for bicycle, meaning “two wheels.” A one wheeled version is a monocycle and a three wheeled version is a a tricycle or trike. So a four wheeled version should be a quadracycle or a quadcycle or quike for short.

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 09:56:49 pm »
Sorry to be even more semantic but mixing latin and greek will not do. Only tetracycle fulfils all rules.
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

John_fraser

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 10:41:31 pm »
I take it that you object to watching television then ;)

(ok you got me)

Offline Mallow

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 12:25:53 pm »
Crumbs!!!!  All I wanted to know was about collecting fire wood.  Now it looks like I have been black listed for legally owning and operating a vehicle I dare not call by it's common name.  I also have a trail bike and a road bike each of which only has two wheels.

???

Offline Neville Hobbs

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 02:21:15 pm »
......or is it a small 4 x 4?

Offline ADM

• Forum Moderator
  • Member of the Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 02:43:35 pm »
Oh no!