Author Topic: Freeview reception  (Read 10336 times)

Offline NMLHS

• Opinions on many things
  • North Mymms Local History Society informant
Freeview reception
« on: November 26, 2005, 10:54:26 pm »
Am I the only person who receives very mixed reception on the ITV Freeview channels?† BBC reception is fine but any of the channels beamed by ITV break up at the least excuse.

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
Re: Freeview reception
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 09:17:51 am »
This is my experience too, although my aerial is not the best, just a cheap one put up by myself until I get round to getting a proper installation.
Freeview channels are all transmitted on one of 6 multiplexes, if one mux is weak then this will affect all channels on that mux.
Digital signals are very weak compared to analogue transmissions so a decent aerial (we are about 20 miles from Crystal Palace) is essential, also decent connectors are important. If you have a VCR make sure that the aerial goes to the Freeview box first, then to the VCR, then TV if applicable.
A decent aerial installer will have a spectrum analyser and be able to measure the strength of each mux and advise accordingly. I don't think it's enough to 'just point the aerial south, should be OK' anymore

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:57:12 pm »
I bought a FreeView box about 18 months ago and finally got around to connecting it last weekend, prompted in part by this thread! The digibox is a well know lower priced UK brand, and so far Iím really disappointed. Itís soooooo slow when Iím trying to use either the Text or Interactive services, and it hangs on average once per evening, when the only way for me to clear it is to disconnect the power.

Have any other FreeView users have had similar experiences?

supersonic

Offline sasquartch

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:13:44 am »
Yes, cheap or old Freeview boxes all suffer from this to some extent.

I have three boxes at home, an old ITV digital box (Pace manufactured) works reasonably well but with VERY slow text and two Sagem ITD58 boxes which are superb. Very quick text and reasonable build quality.

So, if you need a basic box with no slot (only needed at present if you want to subscribe to TopUp TV) I'd thoroughly recommend the Sagem unit (ITD58,60,62 all similar) - Argos have just reduced them to 29.99. Many of the very cheap ones I've seen at places like Asda and Currys have very poor quality remote controls and look pretty tacky.

All Freeview boxes that I've seen have updateable software which is downloaded with the TV signal, this code is different for every box so you may need to wait until the code for your particular unit is being transmitted. Therefore if you have an old box it's worth leaving connected for a few weeks in case a software update becomes available. Normally this will install itself - look in your manual.

But the most important thing is a good aerial, there's no getting away from that.

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 12:05:06 pm »
sasquartch, you've post has been really helpful, thank you.

My current box is a Bush. I chose it because I have a Video/DVD combo by them, which is excellent quality, and was competitively priced. Sadly, Iím much less pleased with their FreeView Box.

If I do to replace it Iíd also try to Ďfuture proofí, and only get one with a top-up slot, and who knows, with both Christmas and then the January sales coming up maybe Iíll find myself a bargain.

Thanks again,
supersonic
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 12:37:54 pm by supersonic »

Richard Bennett

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 09:34:57 pm »
I was thinking of buying a Freeview box, but the Freeview web site says there's no coverage available in my postcode (AL9 7AE - Mymms Drive).  Is this just them being over-cautious?  Has anyone in Mymms Drive got Freeview successfully? (and if so, what's their decoder and aerial like?)

Offline supersonic

• Yabba-dabba-doo
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:44:33 pm »
Hi Richard,

I can't help with the coverage question I'm afraid as I'm in the Harrow area, but only a couple weeks ago I did finally get around to replacing my old slow under-performing box with a wizzy up-to-date new one. I'm thrilled with it, it's fantastic, and it was (still is?) on special offer at the big electrical store on the Stiling Corner roundabout.

I don't want to risk breaching site guidelines by openly promoting what I think is an excellent and great value product - so if you'd like more info just send me a message via the internal messaging system and I'll get back to you with the details.

supersonic

Offline Lectricary

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:21:24 am »
I live in Mymms Drive. I've got a cheappo Goodmans box and aerial in the loft. The aerial has a mast head amp (put in many years ago because the aerial didnt have many elements) and then a distribution amp with tons of stuff pumping into it, cameras, sat system etc. Not everything on the outputs are correctly balanced at 75 ohms and I get perfect pictures with the digibox in series with the tele. For the first time I can get CH5 without having to use the sat system.
Never over estimate a genius. Never underestimate a fool

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 06:26:12 am »

I don't want to risk breaching site guidelines by openly promoting what I think is an excellent and great value product - so if you'd like more info just send me a message via the internal messaging system and I'll get back to you with the details.

supersonic

Hi Sid,

Thanks for that, but it's okay to mention a general product you are happy or unhappy with. That is fine. The rules are only there to protect local businesses from unfair attack or unjustified praise, because of the possibility of that being abused.

Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, personal business dealings, commercial promotions and solicitations are also inappropriate to this Brookmans Park Newsletter Forum.

This site does not encourage restaurant reviews because of the danger of people abusing the facility to either promote or rubbish a restaurant for commercial reasons. Please do not offer or ask for opinions on any local services. If you have a complaint with a business please take it up with the owner, but please do not post about it here or it will be removed.

Thanks for being cautious, but please feel free to recommend any system you think might help others improve their reception.

Cheers

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Rocket

• Opinions on some things
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 01:25:07 pm »
Am I the only person who receives very mixed reception on the ITV Freeview channels?† BBC reception is fine but any of the channels beamed by ITV break up at the least excuse.

Once you have a digital TV, then I advise you to do what we did and have a digital aerial put up! That solved our problem! :icon_jokercolor:

Rocket

Tags: